Another Take on Zorn-Portis

Jason Reid talks about the relationship between Jim Zorn and Clinton Portis.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 10, 2008; 11:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Add an Offensive Lineman
Next: Campbell, Randle El Address Zorn-Portis (Updated)

Comments

Portis is a known sniveler. Zorn's offense runs on precision. If you don't practice you can't be precise.

Posted by: neilbourjaily | December 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

1st

Greg, its been a season of disagreements starting back in the preseason when Zorn made a joke about CP being paid to workout, then the playing in the preseason thing, then the can't take himself out thing, then the make fun of CP for saying he was bleeding with the "was it gushing", then the in his face on camera yelling match over CP putting himself back in after he got his helmet fixed, and now this.

Not to mention letting Jansen (a cornerstone of your franchise for years) find out through the media he'd been benched and continuously blaming your players for not executing your brilliant schemes like leaving a backup center 1-on-1 against Suggs. Don't trivialize this, Zorn hasn't handled the "people" side of his job well at all since he got here which isn't a big deal when your winning, but becomes a huge deal when you're losing. That was the genius of Gibbs, he never would have done any of that, and that's why come heck or high water his players played their guts out for him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Whew, for a second there it was going to be a guest blog ... actually, um, never mind.

FREE JASON REID!

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

zj, thanks for the response, but you completely side-stepped my question.....

who said anything, at ANY time about shipping portis out of town, EVER???

The answer is no one.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

First off, tons of people have been saying that on here, I don't see how with his contract but Lavar did pay money back just to get out of town and CP certainly has enough ego to maybe do something similar, I'm just saying if they don't hug it out I hope Zorn goes, not our best player and only consistent offensive weapon.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I know the team is in a huge slump but I fail to see how the Redskins need lots of help to make the playoffs. The Skins need less help this year than in past years. The only problem being those teams were getting hot and it looks like this team is about to unravel. They do play the Bengals and Niners, two teams that the redskins are capable of beating and we have a home game against philly. If we win out(I know, unlikely given current state of the team), all we need is an Atlanta loss and a Dallas loss to New York or Philly to make the playoffs.

Posted by: bwhare1 | December 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

That's the first video I've ever watched on here.

What's with the sound quality and background.
Reid looks like an Al Quaeda hostage being forced to make a video denouncing the West.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My point about Jordan/Pippen/Rodman is that, regardless of whether basketball is a players game and football is a coaches game, both are still team games. I just disagree with Wilbon that Portis is the only guy on the team. And whatever Portis says about looking at the film, Betts was open (and catching) as the hot read.

We breathe fire when T.O. complains about not getting the ball (when he gets it more than everyone else) and blames losses on him not playing, but its a double standard on Portis.

I have defended Portis this whole season (and last) till I got carpal tunnel syndrome up here, but this aggression ... this cannot stand ... man ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This video is actually worth watching all

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"First off, tons of people have been saying that on here"

When I asked who has been saying that Portis is going to be shipped out of town, I was looking for something more than just people on this blog....I was hoping you'd have something more substantial....no offense to anyone on here....

Until either Zorn, Snyder, Cerrato, or Portis himself comes out and says that he's being traded, you're making something out of nothing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Portis' isnt privy to the new stuff, man.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

100% agree with you zjfr2...

and

100% agree with you MrRedskin21. haha, that was hilarious.

Posted by: Skins211 | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is only half-right. Football is a coaches game in college.

The NFL is a players league.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"When Atlanta players (including our own DHall) started popping off at the mouth towards Bobby Petrino, which side was the "correct" side to support?"

Obviously they backed Petrino or the FO because you see what happened to Hall after that.

Posted by: bigfish761 | December 10, 2008 10:58 AM |

Petrino was gone before Hall was.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

bwhare1, SF is getting hot right now. Otherwise, agreed.

I am concerned that I am becoming predictable ... my disagreements with Wilbon are becoming 100% ... he's a sensationalist ... Cindy > Wilbon (no offense to Cindy for even suggesting that he could possibly compete).

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761

The question wasn't "who did they support?", the question was "which was the 'correct' side to support?"

The players had issues with Petrino. Those issues weren't just some bitter ramblings of a prima-donna player. They were actual issues that were indicative of a larger problem.

And when Petrino left, the players were still there.

If this is just Portis that has these "issues" with Zorn, then I'd say it's nothing to get too excited over. But I have this sinking feeling that it's not just Portis. Maybe not everyone is going to come out to the public like this, but I do think there are other guys on the team don't take kindly to his "the scheme is fine", "execution" is the problem when the team has 4 pro-bowlers on offense and can't score more than 11 ppg over the last 5 weeks.

That's the way I see it.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

can't get the video to load, whats reid have to say?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Zorns offensive runs on precision? Pssss PLEASE!

Posted by: dcwun | December 10, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Someone asked about safeties in the upcoming draft.

I'll just say be glad we stumbled upon Horton.

CB is like 3 rounds deep this year, just very good, which could be a bad thing considering our love of drafting corners. But DHall signing will cancel that need out even with our FO I would think.

but with safeties, the two best are really Taylor Mays out of USC and William Moore out of Mizzou. I think Mays will be very good, he's like a poor man's Sean Taylor coming out of college. Moore can hit hard, too.

Myron Rolle is rated as one of the top FS in the draft, but I wouldn't even use a third round pick on this guy. He's a good college player, but not really a gamechanger and first round for this guy is a huge reach.

And I'm just going down the list, Rashad Johnson out of Bama looks to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's solid but that's about it. Not incredibly athletic, and I mean, he just kinda seems to disappear for awhile. Maybe a good 5th rounder, but 2nd or 3rd, nah.

After him, we got some lamenut outta Michigan State, Otis Wisely or something. I'll keep an eye on him when we play 'em on Jan 1st, but for now I can't really say anything.

Then there's a couple guys, Emmanuel Cooke and Patrick Chung. Cooke is a solid player on a darn good defense at South Carolina, so he might be worth a late round pick. Looks like both of these guys could go around the 4th round.

One guy I like a lot is Clemson S Micheal Hamlin. He's tough and he looks like he could be around 4th or 5th round.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

From the funny headline department comes this...

Im sick and I know it.

Posted by: Zeebs | December 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Portis is insecure-

Posted by: wrinkled | December 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

can't get the video to load, whats reid have to say?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:34 AM |

I got through 1:30 and fell asleep, I suggest anyone having trouble sleeping to watch this video.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

dcsween
I agree SF is getting hot but Gore is injured and if he cannot play, that would certainly help the skins chances.

Posted by: bwhare1 | December 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg, plz don't go back to your stupid give me a link line. That's what we do here we talk about what happened, was is happening, and what might happen. So why is it out of bounds to talk about potential fall out from this just cause Portis, Zorn, Snyder, or Vinny haven't said anything about it? Vinny said the day we got Taylor that we had even talked to Dolphins, which was a flat out lie, so forgive me for speculating in the absence of lies and propaganda from Redskins park about the best player going on broadcast radio and slamming the rookie coach for an extended rant.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"can't get the video to load, whats reid have to say?

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

It's just him saying he's okay and not to worry while 3 men in camo shout in a foreign language behind him.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

zj, right sorry, we're trading portis, and Zorn is spurrier...carry on.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness! Jason, I watched your video expecting something completely different. Yours is the first lucid, informed and measured take on this tantrum I have seen or read in the media. Well done! No one else has gone beyond the he said she said and looked at the larger picture.

Posted by: sheik1 | December 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:36 AM

You do? I remember taking Landry when we had Sean Taylor. We took Fred Davis when we have Cooley. When has something like "we already have multiple quality guys at this position" stopped Vinny from building a team backwards?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:36 AM

Hmm, wonder why he would call him a "lamenut" ... in other news, Go Spartans!!!

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Reid is definitely worth listening to this time. I think he makes a compelling case of Portis being a "Me, Me, Me" type of player.

Portis had a lot of other ways to get Zorn's attention other than this radio interview. In the end Portis is about Portis. Since he does pal around with Snyder and Vinnie Portis knows how to play "power" football. Once again it was really,really stupid to give him that monster contract.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

zj, right sorry, we're trading portis, and Zorn is spurrier...carry on.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

you're so annoying, just go be a patriots fan will you, its nothing but don't ever question and wait and see from you.....I've been waiting since Snyder bought this team and I still am....how long do we wait? let me know? so I'll check back in when this franchise is legitimate again.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I do wonder if CP is replacing his in ability to dress in goofy costumes with causing trouble. And I also wonder if he does not go to Zorn or someone and say. So here is what I want to do to cause trouble this week?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

can't get the video to load, whats reid have to say?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Basically that CP is a me-first guy, that he threw Zorn under the bus... that this whole escapade is on CP.

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 11:37 AM

Is that before or after the point where he holds up today's Post as proof of life?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think our front office needs to ask Thomas Dimitroff (sp) for a bailout.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what the correct side is here, but the blame lays squarely at the feet of Snyder. He is the one who gave Portis (an aging running back) the huge extension. He's the one who has a personal relationship with Portis. He's the one who hired a coach with pre-selected DC, RB, QB and offensive line coach. Is it any wonder that Zorn would want to assert himself in this area? It's not like he was able to in any other! Is it any wonder that Portis would show his true colors in a time of stress? Snyder is the one who created this environment. When there is no clear chain of command this is what you get. Sadly Snyder chose the best coach who would allow him continued involvement in the football operation -- not the best coach. There is a big difference here. In Portis, I hope Snyder feels he got his money's worth. After Arrington, Coles etc. you think he'd learn his lesson and step back from direct player relationships. I hope he enjoys the egg on his face. More likely Snyder thinks this is all Zorn's fault.

Posted by: tbenderbender | December 10, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"I'll check back in when this franchise is legitimate again"

Don't let the door hit you...

Anyone know what number Trung Candidate is gonna wear when he's back on the team?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

What if Zorn had left CP in and he continues to get beat up. He, CP isn't as gooas Betts catching the ball. The run game wasn't going anywhere. The same zealots for CP would have vilified Zorn for leaving the "franchise" player in the game to get more injured.
All NFL players are replaceable, all of them. Young somewhat obscure RB's come into the league every year. Some even have enough speed to take it to the house!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 10, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Does Jim Zorn know that the Skins have a Pro-Bowl TE? I'm sure Portis isn't the only player tired of his antics. With the 2-headed monster of Vinny and Zorn, I can see us trading Portis for a Trung Candidate type. Fire them both, NOW!

Posted by: dcwun | December 10, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

How Reid talk about not going to the media about the coach and CP is wrong and needed to hold ranks? Yet don't think it is a problem for the coach to break ranks and throw players under the bus to media. BEFORE TALKING WITH THE PLAYER.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Portis is totally a Me, ME, MEEEE guy, so is half the league, that ignores the fact that he's really good. Everybody including Reid continues to live in this "should" world. Should portis have done this? no. Should the coach have to deal with this? no. Should....should....should...should..reality is you need superstar players and part of the job for coaches in professional athletics today is to be able to handle guys with big egos. CP is not TO, he gives you everything he has every play, you can and "should" win with a guy like that. Does he require a little more attention and coddling than say Leigh Torrence, sure, but he also performs at a star level, and if Zorn or anybody else doesn't get that in today's athletics (just like there has always been) there are different rules for and different ways you treat a star, then he doesn't deserve the job.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

All NFL players are replaceable, all of them.

Posted by: lsskinsfan

What makes you believe Zorn is irreplaceable? Or less replaceable than Portis?

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

On Springs and capology from a couple/few threads ago... '09 is the final year of his contract. The cap hit is the $2.5 million pro-rated signing bonus that's left.
If he's cut, that 2.5 mil counts against the '09 cap...there's no post June 1st designation thingy possible, because there's only one year left on his deal.

As you were.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 10, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

dcwun I think Cooley is a eye blink from coming out on Zorn as well.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I never understood why Portis in the costumes was a bad thing......he got attention that was goofy/fun not harmful to team, kept team loose in tough stretch run, was funny, and involved other teammates.

Who wouldn't trade Sheriff Gonna Getcha for the mess we are in now?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

thank you JM, Zorn has done plenty of things he "should" not have done since he got here with the media as well.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

dcwun I think Cooley is a eye blink from coming out on Zorn as well.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage

Completely agree, although I don't think he'd be as candid as Portis. But there's no shot I believe Portis is the only one that feels this way.

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"CP is not TO, he gives you everything he has every play, you can and "should" win with a guy like that. Does he require a little more attention and coddling than say Leigh Torrence, sure, but he also performs at a star level, and if Zorn or anybody else doesn't get that in today's athletics (just like there has always been) there are different rules for and different ways you treat a star, then he doesn't deserve the job.

Posted by: zjfr2"

you don't think TO goes 100% on every play? Have you ever watched him play?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"What makes you believe Zorn is irreplaceable? Or less replaceable than Portis?

Posted by: psps23"

Simple: because teams replace RBs all the time, regardless of how good they've been. The Colts replaced Edgerrin James. The Rams replaced Marshall Faulk. It happens.

Replacing a head coach creates a lot more upheaval than replacing a running back, no matter how good that back is. With his age and wear and tear, Portis' best years are most likely behind him unless he gets to play behind Tennessee's offensive line.

Posted by: jcabana | December 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan

What makes you believe Zorn is irreplaceable? Or less replaceable than Portis?

Posted by: psps23

good point, accept I never said he wasn't.

I guess the FO can continue it's endless parade of puppets (called HC) through the organization. I think Zorn should get at least 3-4 years to build HIS team, with HIS players.
I'd rather have a team of good players, than one or two superstars on a mediocre team.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 10, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'll also say I think Cooley is grumbling in the wings.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:28 AM

Sween, a 51-year-old -- mildly out of condition -- continues to play hurt. Why can't Shawn Springs?

But sween, unlike Portis, never seems to miss a day of practice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I know I certainly would not want the fate that Falcons and Doplphins are in right now after having to replace coaches who had short tenure......

Oh wait.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

psps23 watch the locker room interviews after games on Skins.com. You see it all over Cooley face. Then you can tell that he is really thinking about his answers.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:49 AM

Half the league is a little much. But you DEFINITELY have to keep the really really good guys to have success ... look how badly the Giants are tanking without Tiki, Strahan, Shockey and now Burress.

Remind me also about who those Me, ME, MEEE guys are on the Titans?

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 11:49 AM |

What have we won with him one playoff game, that is not enough for the caliber of back you think CP is.

CP's speed is gone he can not take it to the house anymore and he will be done in a few years, but your right fire the coach and bring in someone else to deal with him.

They can not cut or trade CP that is the faught of the FO's crazy contract.

Remeber CP was very critical of Gibbs offense but I heard no one saying fire Gibbs.

Work it out like men and stop acting like a couple of 5 year old girls.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

guys, please stop blaming portis. the coach had been asking for this all season. there is no way portis lashes out if he thinks that zorny is a competent coach or his scheme is competent. OR they're not the worst offense in the whole friggin league. marty's offense was scoring more points than this offense.

how many of you cringed when they went empty backfield against balmer or pitt or dallas? i know i did. are you fc king kidding me? empty backfield with jc as your qb and your receivers and your oline??? talk about knowing your personnel. what made zorny think he could get away with that? you guys blame spurrier for patrick ramsey getting killed well zorny is doing the same exact thing.

zorny F'ed up. yes, what portis did was wrong. no one is questioning that. portis was wrong. but zorny F'ed up! he lashed out at him against detroit. he lashed out at the kid punter. and now this on national tv. c'mon.

there's a pattern developing here. always blaming "execution" than himself or the scheme. guess who executes? the players. he's been blaming the players this whole time for his stupid retarded scheme.

and after he has his temper tantrum he gets up there infront of the podium and preaches "stay medium". follow your own advice dumb jock!

btw...if he ever did that to cooley. cooley would punch his face. and then where would you guys stand on zorny vs. cooley?

just like last year and the years before portis is not just speaking for himself he's speaking for the entire offense when he's saying this dude don't know what he's doing.

F Vinny!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Sween is a team leader IMHO

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

dcwun I think Cooley is a eye blink from coming out on Zorn as well.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage

He also never runs away from any LB. Maybe that's why F Davis was drafted, but so far, he's been too tired to contribute.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I love this team, but I can't believe how much I care less about all this crap. CP needs to grow up. The sooner Danny boy gives control of this operations to a "Real" football person the better. This crap starts with Dan--->Vinny-->Zorn->CP

In this line I only really trust Zorn and I don't blame him for this miss. Dan/Vinny built this on wishes, hopes and dreams and now they need to wake up! Dan fire Vinny, get a strong Football mgmt team, get a decent Coach and step out of the way.

Hail to the Redskins!!!

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Who wouldn't trade Sheriff Gonna Getcha for the mess we are in now?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 11:51 AM

Absolutely. The Portis that came to town after signing the big extension lost the fun edge that he had and became a little more poisonous in his comments. The costumed Portis was a stark and funny contrast to Gibbs, and even Gibbs appreciated it. Portis showing up in a costume now would just not be right on any level, kind of like the Joker's costumes.

Posted by: driley | December 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"Remind me also about who those Me, ME, MEEE guys are on the Titans?

Posted by: dcsween "

I agree with your point, but to be fair Lendale did freak out after their loss, but he quickly apologized and it wasn't that big a deal really.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Portis threw Zorn under the bus? It appears to be the other way around. If Zorn prepared and coach the way Portis prepares and plays, we would be hanging on for our playoff lives. Portis isn't the problem, Zorn is. Zorn's offense is garbage and has no imagination or creativity. Now, the star RB, who is recognized league wide as the best blocking RB in the league is the problem? Don't fall for it folks. Remember, this is the same coach that didn't have the guts to tell Jon Jansen that he was no longer a starter. This isn't about Portis being a "me first" player. It's about a coach who is in over his head and looking to place the blame elsewhere.

Posted by: dcwun | December 10, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

He lashed out in public on Gibbs so you are wrong.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll also say I think Cooley is grumbling in the wings.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:55 AM

Keeping it in the wings is about being a team player. Cooley just got a major extension plus cash, so he'd be "safe" to call out the coach. If Portis is a spokesman for the team, then this team is in real trouble.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

you don't think TO goes 100% on every play? Have you ever watched him play?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I have, and I've seen him lolli gag plenty on blocks this year, and I've seen guys a lot smaller than him jam him on the line this year and he just quits, and I watched Sean Taylor literally make TO stop playing in a game a year or two ago cause TO got tired of getting hit. TO is a front runner, as long as things are good he plays hard.

CP has played in a lot of tough games, tough seasons, and has come through when all things seemed lost by putting this team on his back and carrying it. For all the stuff people are saying, he never complained about Brunel or Ramsey, and he wasn't even complaining about his Oline he was standing up for himself when he said I'd like to see how some of the so called great backs like Adrian Peterson would do here in the system we've had and the lines we've had where he's taking contact early and often on every handoff. CP is one of the best backs in the league and has carried some bad teams much farther than they should have gone, he's no TO.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Jason Reid for having journalistic honesty in giving his opinion on the Portis-Zorn situation. I agree 110% with Jason. Looking back on my own experience, as a manager at a U.S. Navy base in past years, I had to deal with egotistical employees who constantly needed their ego stroked or they would run around the office crying about unfair treatment. I feel sorry for Zorn, because I think he's straight up, a good coach, out of the Mike Ditka mold, in your face with primma donnas like Portis.

The problem is still in the front office with the yuppie, amateur hour NFL management, Danny boy and Vinny boy. Portis jets around with Danny boy, thinks he is untouchable, can do what he wants. Also don't forget that Portis is a graduate of "THE U", and came from Univ of Miami at a time of an entire Miami team of egotistical primma donnas, who believed they were above the rules and gained a reputation in the NCAA for being a bunch of thugs. This attitude of Portis goes back to Miami days.

Snyder and Cerrato have to hire a real GM who knows how to scout NFL talent. They run the Redskins like their own personal plaything, like a "Fantasy Football" team, where they can trade and cut big deals to pick up expensive, big name vets who have been cast off by other teams. We now have a broken down offensive and defensive line as a result of years of wasted drafts and megabucks losing trades (e.g. Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, that loser safety they dumped last year on the Bears, how many others?)

To salvage any kind of season or intermediate future, Zorn has to sit down with Portis and try to figure out how to get through to the guy. If I was coach, I would have benched him too, he is missing blocking assignments, pass patterns, and whines about his offensive line and disrespects Betts, while not making practices. Trade the primma donna to Dallas or Oakland where he can be his bad ass self and dress up like a clown. Get some draft picks out of it and try to rebuild this team from the ground up.

Posted by: mikepem01 | December 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

UGH! zorny HAS NEVER BEEN A HC in 30 years in the league. STOP COMPARING HIM TO COUGHLIN OR ANY OTHER COACH WITH ANY TENURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I watched the hostage video and agree that he covers the important points on this hullaballoo (blame on both sides), but this one does say alot about "who Portis is" (using anyone's definition of "is").

I can't wait till Brian Mitchell weighs in ... maybe we will finally get down to some honest to goodness stealin'.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

or else what????

Cughlin was given time, something too few of you IMHO, want to give Zorn. Yes, he had coached before, with mixed to somewhat poor results. The FO in NY had the cojones to back him and build a winning team.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 10, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Cooley wiffs on too many blocks and he seems fine if they lose. His self promoting perhaps takes time away from the job at hand.

Posted by: lsskinsfan"

Is saying that Cooley sucks on the RI Blog the equivalent of Godwins Law?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

dealer, so what you're saying is the Coughlin has been fired by more teams than Zorn has ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

He may not be the breakaway threat he was in Denver, but as of 2 weeks ago he was leading the league in rushing. I still would take him top five over anybody else in the league next year. And he probably has 3 good years left, he's only 29, most backs get to 31 or 32 before they start breaking down.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan

I'd agree with you IF Zorn provided reason to believe that his team with his players could succeed in this league. To me, he hasn't provided that reason. I'd rather continue with the parade to find a coach who CAN do this, THEN give him the reigns for 3-4 years. Similar to Spurrier-Gibbs. I was, am, and always will be fine with Snyder ridding himself of Spurrier in order to bring back Gibbs. Gibbs is a guy that commands 3-4 years of loyalty. Zorn doesn't get that benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

cL, that's just the kind of comment that Hitler would post.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to stop being a primadonna and start being a professional......the REDSKINS don't pay him OODLES of money to hear him talk...they pay him to play...and play well.

If he's not practicing and missing assignments...I don't care how "TOUGH" he is....you play the player that is better prepared.

I admire Portis for playing while injured but at the same point...you have to ask :

"would it have been better for Portis to rest himself and get fully healthy for the stretch run??"

Posted by: goosedude | December 10, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Based on this season's history and some simple statistic calculations, if Portis had been in Denver this season, he'd have been dead by Week 4.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, he had coached before, with mixed to somewhat poor results."

So Tom Coughlin taking an exspansion team to AFC Championship game in year 2 was poor result? Or 11-5 in their third season. Or being key assistant coach on SB teams. Or running college program?

Making Coughlin analogous to Zorn is straight Tard Time.......

Also on those contenstious Giants teams they were still making the playoffs every year.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, so far all Zorn has done is ride the running game that Gibbs built, with a roster that Gibbs built, and now has it regressing and in a 1-4 tailspin because he wasn't able to ride the CP train anymore and all his great "schemes" have produced nothing. If Zorn goes what do we lose, a new passing game that isn't working, the defense was the same, the running game was the same, and the personnel was the same.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Replacing a head coach creates a lot more upheaval than replacing a running back

Posted by: jcabana"

Depends on the coach. I doubt replacing Bobby Petrino raised that much upheaval in Atlanta. Or Cam Cameron in Miami. Or Norv Turner anywhere he's been.

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

OK. Then let's follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion.

Why start and play Portis for a half? Zorn knew he hadn't practiced all week. Additionally, Portis claims he didn't miss any assignments in that Sunday night game, and Zorn hasn't been able to refute that.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2.....VERY well said. What has he done besides ride the Gibbs run game? The answer is pretty clear, NOTHING!

Posted by: dcwun | December 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

only thing more pathetic than a crybaby is a millionaire crybaby

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

sween, isskinfan, whatever cL said only less coherent and more expletives sprinkled in.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Sween - Tryon still has more upside than torrence......

All of this is long term thinking. I can't recall but maybe once or twice in the past 2 years Leigh Torrence downing the ball inside the 10.

Alot of people can play special team.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:08 PM |

Get real...Portis has 2 years tops. Most backs don't take the pounding Portis takes--dude is 220 soaking wet with rocks in his pocket and plays like he's 250. If he can run for even 1000 yards in 2010, I'll be shocked. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt he's got anything left after next year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had just

1. Talked to Portis himself during the game or sometime Monday.

and/or

2. Said to the media: "Clinton is a warrior and will play on one tendon, but I just didn't think it was worth getting him beat up anymore. His injuries were piling up to fast so I wanted to see what Betts' fresh legs could do"

we would not be here today...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

From the WaTimes

Just chatted with Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandazeh, who supports Clinton Portis in the Redskins' running back's war of words with coach Jim Zorn. Here's what Houshmandazeh had to say:

"I see where [Clinton's] coming from. At one point in the season, Clinton Portis was the MVP of the NFL. The Redskins were running the ball. They was killing people. The way he runs the rock. Every running back coach in the league when they want to show pass protection, they put [film of] Clinton Portis on. Ain't no linebackers running through Clinton Portis. He can catch the ball, he can run the ball and he blocks. He never has to come out of the game unless he's tired. Now that he's banged-up and he's not practicing, you want to say [he's benched] because [backup Ladell Betts] knows the gameplan better than he does, it's like a slap in the face. At one point in time, he was the MVP of the league so if he's the MVP of the league, he has to be the MVP of your team. You just got to handle it a different way [other than] throwing him under the bus to the media."

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure CP just turned 27 earlier this season.
Of course, that's biological years, not running back years.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 10, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

flounder, no he didn't. it was NEVER that bad. all he said about gibbs was (after the giants game after they had traded pierce) that the D knew what was coming and where.

zorny aint no gibbs 1. nor is he gibbs 2 at their worst times with noodle armed brunell running the show. during gibbs 2 they had lost 3 starters on the o-line and they still managed to put more points.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor...Please tell me you were joking about Tryon having more upside than Torrance! Tryon was the worst CB in camp. Matterial Richardson clearly out played him in pre-season. I'd rather see Ade Jimoh playing DB before Tryon. That dude has no business in the NFL.

Posted by: dcwun | December 10, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

well..well....now that we have one of those high character Bengals in CP's corner, he must be right.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The dude has been here for 13 games and is 7-6; he's been riding CP since training camp, but he has precious little to say about Springs and his never-ending boo-boos, Suisham's horrific slump, or the fact that the O-line is a sieve. Oh, and some self-analysis on two moves he was behind, signing Mike Green and Shaun Alexander, would be nice too.

If he thinks the way to make your mark as a head coach in the NFL is to alienate the best player on your roster, thereby showing your "alpha" status, he's WRONG.

And for Christ's sake, stop riding bikes with GW Bush; nothing good can ever come of that.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had just

1. Talked to Portis himself during the game or sometime Monday.

and/or

we would not be here today...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely! Zorn should've handled it alot better. Doesn't excuse Portis' blasting him in the media but Zorn certainly shares some blame in this.

Posted by: skinswest | December 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

That is so true. He hasn't brought anything. We were winning because of the running game that he didn't change.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If the simple words provided by Zorn "alienated" CP, then he was already an alien.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had just

1. Talked to Portis himself during the game or sometime Monday.

and/or

we would not be here today...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

thank you for some sanity, how hard is that? what coach wouldn't know or do that with they're star player? Zorn has to be an idiot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Zorn didn't realize he was a kindergarten teacher. How unforgiveable!

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Great take on this situation, Jason....can someone tell me at what point CP enters the Terrell Owens zone? He has been complaining about different issues for a few years now-even going back to his first season here. I realize they cannot afford to get rid of him, but signing him to a long term contract over the offseason was obviously a mistake. And I think someone before asked the question of what the offense would look like with Betts in there? I think we know the answer to that-look back at the 11 games he played in 2006 when he went over 1,100 yards. CP has completely erred in taking the pulse of both his teammates, and the fans of this team. The last thing most fans of this team will stand for is a divisive force in the locker room, which CP seems intent on being. You know who is the last person in the world that would have pulled a stunt like this?...Sean Taylor. And he is someone that CP has supposedly tried to model himself after. Keep trying, CP. I think Sean would be disappointed in your trying to make everything about youm while your team still has a shot at the playoffs.

Posted by: Kohlrums | December 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Is the scenario with Clinton Portis and Jim Zorn any different from what happened in New York with Tiki Barber and Tom Coughlin? Okay, I'll admit that Coughlin has a ton more head coaching experience than Zorn but if you really look at it...there are similarities.

Tiki Barber...all Pro running back...biggest whiner on the Giants complained and threw his quarterback and head coach under the bus. Barber stated that Manning would never be a great leader on the Giants. And of course...Barber pretty much let it be known that his early retirement had to do with Coughlin (of course he never mentioned the money he got from NBC).

Now we have Clinton Portis...Pro Bowl caliber running back who earlier this year threw his offensive line under the bus and now has thrown a first year head coach under the bus. Don't think for a moment that Portis doesn't realize the ramifications of his words and actions in regards to Snyder and Cerrato.

The reality to me is that the Front Office (whatever that may be) needs to develop a sense of direction, continuity and a spine. Some have brought up the idea to replace Zorn? Why would any coach want to come to DC if they knew that a prima donna player could undermine his authority? Zorn was a long way down on Snyder's list because the coach/s they desired told them NO WAY.

Has Zorn made mistakes. No doubt. But the man is willing to MAN-UP and admit his errors. That shows character and fortitude, something that Mr. Portis should examine in his own life.

When teams or individuals go through trials or losses that is when you discover the true character of a person. Mr. Reid is exactly correct in his observation of Portis.

While I am a die-hard Redskins fan...I can't help but think back to this past Super Bowl that the Giants won. They won it even though (earlier in the season) it was rumored that Coughlin was about to be fired. They won it with some players with huge egos who understood their place on the team. They won it when their backs were against the wall. The character of that team came forth and together they won a championship. Without Tiki Barber.

Call me old school...but I believe that the team always comes before the player. When a player calls out fellow teammates and the coaching staff...then I am convinced that the player only cares about himself. And those players (if they are allowed) to think (or know) that they have the power and influence of the organization, then alas...that team will never win a championship.

I admire Portis for his courage in playing hurt throughout the season. And I hope that this incident can be a learning experience for Portis, Zorn and the Redskins in general.

But in the end...the Redskins have to understand that the organization...the team must always come before the player.

Posted by: JimsT03 | December 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope on Campbell's first sack, The Danny yanks Zorn.

Zorn screwed up, and like zjfr2 said, he's been putting down Portis since day one.

Not Smart.

I only wish all you armchair a$$ kissers could be mistreated similarly by your bosses... Maybe you are. Doesn't mean you have to like it.

I hope Zorn is gone quickly in three weeks. He has nothing going for him. Not even his own Team.

Idiot.

Rides Bikes with friggin' George W. Bush, for cryin' out loud.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

PLEEEEASE, fellow Redskins fans...

Please stop saying "Playoffs"

It's really pathetic. It's like thinking Zorn is a young Gibbs. It's not gonna happen. Just Forget it.

It makes you sound delusional. It's really unsettling.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone realizes how truly selfish and insecure Portis really is. By the way, his playoff stats for his career aren't that great. Clinton Portis is good, elite, maybe...but it definitely shows his true colors when he whines, on the radio, about a brand new coach. Dude needs to know his role and stop taking things so personally. It is football for gods sake. Strap on the helmet, shutup, and do what you are told.

Posted by: BMACattack | December 10, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid knows Squat about playing with emotion.

"Maybe Zorn could have talked to him?"

Ya Think?

Jason, if your boss told you don't write anymore articles, in fact, go home this week, and said the reason why is that you don't pay attention in meetings, but didn't tell YOU, just put it in place of your cute little video, I think you'd be singing another tune.

How many times has your job landed you in the hospital or required a surgery? This is Football. It BEGINS with Loyalty to eachother, and that includes Zorn. He's not the Massah.

Look at the facts. Zorn has been putting Portis down all year. I don't care what you say or how you say it...

That is NOT Smart. That's a big sign that the guy is "a genius."

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Jason Reid's wise and astute perspective on Clinton Portis. I don't think that Coach Zorn thought that Portis was going to go off the way he did, and I don't think that it should be a strike against him that he didn't talk earlier to Portis. But I agree very much with Jason Reid's comments in general.

The fact that Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato coddle Clinton Portis really is the issue here. If that kind of thing continues, it will give Portis a free hand to periodically go off on one of these destructive tirades. Fortunately the rest of the team seems mature about it, and Coach Zorn handles these things "medium" and with aplomb.

I would like to see another team trade for Portis - though it's not likely to happen. If they take the contract and give a 1st round draft choice, I think that would be a fair deal.

Posted by: shane2229 | December 10, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse