Anthony Armstrong is earning a bigger role

On Thursday, Coach Mike Shanahan said that wide receiver Anthony Armstrong would have a bigger role moving forward.

Sound decision.

In the first five games of his NFL career, the hard-working, unheralded Armstrong has been a difference-maker for the Redskins (3-2), who are tied for the NFC East lead and play host to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at FedEx Field. Armstrong's speed has helped him produce big plays in the passing game, and the 27-year-old first-year player is coming off his best performance.

Armstrong started for the first time during the overtimes victory in Week 5 against the Green Bay Packers. He caught a 48-yard touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter from quarterback Donovan McNabb that helped the Redskins - who twice faced 10-point deficits - rally for a 16-13 win at FedEx Field, and finished with three catches for 84 yards.

"I have some friends on some other teams that have said that teams have plans to try to at least cut down some of the big plays that they see on tape," Armstrong said. "But as long as I can make an impact.

"It feels good to get that respect. But now, whenever you start attracting attention, you have to make sure you step up your game and compete even harder. It's going to be tougher to make plays, [and] you just have to step up and do that."

Armstrong and McNabb teamed on a 57-yard play in the 17-12 victory in Week 4 over the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. Overall, Armstrong has 188 yards and a touchdown on only seven receptions. His 26.9-yard average would rank first in the NFL if Armstrong had enough receptions to qualify among the league leaders.

Obviously, the Redskins' upcoming opponents are aware that Armstrong is emerging as a consistent deep threat, and "I hope defenses will have to respect my abilities, and it will open everything up for the whole offense," Armstrong said. "I hope it makes us get into a rhythm easier, instead of where they try to double [Chris] Cooley and Santana [Moss]. They'll be more options and they'll be more threats out there. Hopefully, I can just help open the defense up and knock the top off it."

Armstrong is eager to complement Moss, the Redskins' longtime top wideout. "If I can be that other guy, that's great," he said. "I'm just trying to do my job. Right now, if I'm the guy that's got to get big plays and knock the top off the defense, so be it. If I'm running the defense off and Santana's getting 10, 12 balls underneath, then I'm fine with that, too, as long as we get a win."

Although he has finally achieved his dream of reaching the NFL, Armstrong is still very hungry. "Oh, yeah, most definitely," he said. "Plus, I think I got some ground to make up. There's guys that are 27 that been in the league five, six years. I'm 27, I'm only working on my first season. I've got plenty of goals ahead of me. I'm still working hard. I'm still trying to accomplish plenty of things."

It wasn't long ago that Armstrong could walk "through here [the locker room], and nobody [in the media] would say anything. Now, I can't walk through here without people saying something," Armstrong said. "I just take it in stride. It's all fun, though."

By Jason Reid  | October 15, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Anthony Armstrong
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: Don't fear the Colts, and other notes
Next: Peyton Manning is not taking the Redskins' defense lightly

Comments

beep and repost

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

no beep on this thread, my bad

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

In the first five games of his NFL career, the hard-working, unheralded Armstrong has been a difference-maker for the Redskins (3-2), who are tied for the NFC East lead and play host to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at FedEx Field. - Jason Reid

Who's in first place? The Redskins are ALONE in first place, the other teams just happen to be 3-2 like us, Division record means we are on top, get it right Reid. You thing JReid is a spy for the Cowpies or something?

Ooh, I got it! He's a Dallas troll that posts on here, now which one could he be......

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

You can't build through the draft when you've already traded away your third and fourth round picks. And, free agency is before the draft on the NFL calendar.

look to the north beep. NE is stockpiling draft picks, so don't tell me it can't be done. you have to will your way to do it and it takes time and patients. unless you want to WIN NOW.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins' primary focus has got to be running the ball but they might try to make the safeties play deeper by lobbing a couple of long balls to Moss and Armstrong. AA just has to make the most of his opportunities. The more of a threat he becomes, the more it will open up things for Cooley and Moss - the true workhorses of this passing game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

brown, you want to aquire DHarris so he can play with who, PDaniels, ACarter, and LFletcher ? You think DMcNabb is the bridge to a "younger" team ? Stop adding old veterans and don't add good players until we have a strong foundation built through the draft or your operating the same way you have for the last decade. of course I want a winning team, but the first step is finding out what you have, going on right now, build up draft picks, draft decent players, compliment those players by FA's or a trade. unless you want to WIN NOW, like we have for the last ten years, then add FA's out the ying yang.

ask yourself a question and be honest, when AH was a free agent, did you want the Redskins to sign him ? I bet most posters mouths were watering thinking about AH in a Redskins uniform.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 7:56 AM

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:04 AM

Hess, first of all, I was one of the loudest up here protesting AGAINST getting Haynesworth. I smelled Dana Stubblefield 2.0 with this guy and I wanted no parts of him in burgundy and gold. So you'll need to bark up another tree on that one.

Secondly, I don't think you know who David Harris is...he's the 26 year-old ILB for the Jets and he's a beast. So I don't see where you think that's a bad signing or going back to "signing old veterans".

We Redskins fans are punch drunk from years of mismanagement, so I get your aversion to free agency. But it's unrealistic to think that you can build your team EXCLUSIVELY thru the draft in this day and age. The only team that does that is Pittsburgh...and it only works for them because they've been committed to doing it that way forever. The Redskins can't do that now because A) they don't have enough picks to do it and B) they won't be able to reap the benefits of that way of doing things until they've given it about 5 or so years to commit to it. With Shanahan and McNabb here, they don't have that kind of time.

And stop comparing us with NE...they had a dynasty with multiple Pro-Bowl players and can trade off those assets for picks. The Redskins don't have nearly as many tradeable assets and will have to get a bit more creative in building a winner. If you wanna compare us to someone, try comparing with the Ravens...who use both the draft AND free agency with brilliance.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

They put up a new post asap to prevent Brian Burke (fighter pilot code name Virgin) from getting teased again this week.

Posted by: mack1 | October 15, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Armstrong started for the first time during the overtimes victory in Week 5 against the Green Bay Packers."

How many overtimes were there in this game? Who's Reid's source, McNabb?

Posted by: HTTR | October 15, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

This guy is such a NERD, he even looks like a NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:06 AM

I prefer when the NERD posts around noon...this is too much for PlayAction at 8:30 in the morning.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Just because you have a lot of draft picks doesn't mean you will have a good team!!!

Sure, Jimmy Johnson did it in Dallas, however when he went to Miami he tried the same thing, and the team did get younger, but not better.

Cheat-ichek was better at it a few years ago in New England, but how many of those draft picks have panned out in the last couple of years?

Look at our 2008 draft, 10 frickin players and only 5 are still here: 1 on IR, 1 on Practice Squad, 3 on 53 man roster, with only 1 a starter!!!!

I agree something has to change, we can't keep signing the Haynesworths, Lloyds, and Archulettas of the NFL, and accumulating more picks isn't always good either. Sure, we don't have a 3rd or 4th this year, but we still have a 1st and 2nd. Even if we don't trade down, pick SMARTLY and you should get 2 starters out of that. Pick up a couple of gems in FA and we should be ok, we aren't that far away from being a contender!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:19 AM
------------------------------------------
I think the jury is still out on New England's philosophy of relying heavily on the draft to re-stock the shelves. They won the majority of their Superbowls after having mined the free agent pool quite heavily. In a draft heavy philosophy, I think you run the risk of being overconfident in your ability to find quality players and this puts you in a risky position. This becomes dangerous because you want to be the draft genius, so you become a little more reluctant to part with those slow-to-develop players. This, in turn, leads you to look over those free agents you signed.

I think the balanced approach is the best but I also think you have to fill the holes however you can and this sometimes may lead to you giving up picks you don't want to. I think the Redskins were right to trade for McNabb, but it is painful to watch the picks go. I think Allen got a sweetheart of a deal with both Carriker and Brown and pulling the triggers on those deals were no brainers. Look at what Shanahan and Allen have done in just one offseason of work: they've retooled the offensive line, got a franchise quarterback (and depth behind him) and put in place about 75% of a 3-4 defense. Depending on how some of the younger players continue to develop, we might be able to add "youth in the receiving and running corps" to the list as well. I think this is a pretty strong argument for taking the balanced approach.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:16 AM

You tell him monk! If the season ended today...who would be NFC East Champs? Huh? Huh? That's what I thought.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

well said brownwood.

People don't like hearing the truth, but you put it as well as anyone on the blog in a long time.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 15, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

didn't reference you personally brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew all along, which probably suprizes you. that's why I referenced the defensive players.

not compairing us to NE, just using them as an example that you can aquire draft picks, and yes it takes time to do so.

ask yourself this brown, what was NE before they were a dynasty ? and how long did it take to build, that's right, build their dynasty. overnight I guess. you miss my point, I get yours.

I guess there's two roads you can travel here, build through the draft or win now

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

True dat, I wake up all full of cobwebs, get to work like a zombie. He probably pops out of bed like, "Time to get up! Let's see, I'll brush my teeth, the normal 67 brush strokes. Then I'll calculate the exact amount of coffee grounds to put in the coffee maker. I was too hyper yesterday, so if I multiply the caffiene in the coffee by the amount of energy I put out in a day, divide the food I eat, add the factor X....."
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know the dude ain't married, who'd put up with that?

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

...the Ravens...who use both the draft AND free agency with brilliance.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 8:25 AM

Just please don't tell ravens fans that brown...their heads are big enough...I can't stand them up here.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

oh, this should be good

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 8:41 AM
------------------------------------------
Or you could take the road less traveled like Vinny did... oh, wait a minute, that's a scary dark road with lots of glowing eyes lurking in the shadowy depths just feet from the roadside...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Uh, you said BIG HEAD! HAHAHA

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow - 27??! I had no idea he was that long in the tooth.

Hopefully he & McLovin' can get in sync soon enough.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Uh, you said BIG HEAD! HAHAHA

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 8:49 AM

Uhhhh...settle down Beavis...no I didn't... haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Fearless predictions of the day:

-On Saturday Chad Simpson will be cut and Quinn Porter will be signed to the regular roster.

-On Saturday, William Robinson will be signed to the regular roster, be active for the game, and Darrell Young will be released.

-McIntosh will be a game day inactive and Perry Riley will start in his place.

-Addai will leave the game in the first quarter after re-aggravating his neck injury.

Washington wins a shootout: 30-27

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

ok, we talk draft, we talk FA's, and we talk trade. the thread is about a guy that was none of the above. can we love on AA and hope he's a diamond in the rough !

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Hess, I do get your point...but you keep referencing how NE is stockpiling picks and I'm telling you the Skins can't do that. We don't have All-Pros with multiple rings like Richard Seymour or Deion Branch to trade for 1st round picks. The Pats did. That's why they can do that...they have lots of tradeable assets that the Skins don't have.

And to answer your question, the Pats built a dynasty on great coaching, and a LOT of luck in the draft. Nobody can predict a Tom Brady coming your way in Round 6. No way you know for sure that Tedy Bruschi is a great ILB for you in Round 3. You pick your players and hope your coaches can coach 'em up right.

At the end of the day, what wins in the today's NFL is great coaching and great QB play. We have both now. All we need to do is fill in the blanks around them.

All I'm saying is that free agency helps that effort.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:01 AM

AA is the BOMB!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Nobody can predict a Tom Brady coming your way in Round 6

brown, he was their SECOND 6th round pick to boot...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins can't do that [build exclusively through the draft]now because A) they don't have enough picks to do it and B) they won't be able to reap the benefits of that way of doing things until they've given it about 5 or so years to commit to it. With Shanahan and McNabb here, they don't have that kind of time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow I completely disagree with this. Your argument is that we can't do it because it takes too long? It's a circular argument. The reason we don't have "tradeable" assets for draft picks is because the Redskins built the team by signing free agents that are old or get old fast.

A three to five year build plan sounds about right to me. No reason Shanny won't be coaching here in ten years. And there's actually no reason to count on McNabb either being here next year or being a the difference maker if he is. This should be about building a winner for the long haul, year-in, year-out winning, not for a one year flash.

The key to building an enduring winner is not to trade draft picks and to draft wisely. If you want to argue that the Redskins aren't capable of drafting wisely, I'd be more receptive...

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

People don't like hearing the truth

rich20ssu, what's truth got to do with the way a football team is assembled ?

brown has his way of putting a team together and I have mine. if we go brown's route and we're successful, I'll be one happy Redskin fan.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Nobody can predict a Tom Brady coming your way in Round 6

I bet the amazing kreskin could !!!

greg, your still alive and well !!!

brown, I hear you loud and clear !!!

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 8:45 AM

Trust me...I don't.

I just think they're a more realistic template for what we should aspire to right now...Hess and others keep hating on FA, but they got a SB by getting Rod Woodson, Trent Dilfer, Shannon Sharpe, and Sam Adams in FA. Even though they had homegrown guys like Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis, and Jonathan Ogden, a lot of their key players they got in FA. So building a champion with a big assist from FA isn't unheard of.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

If you want to argue that the Redskins aren't capable of drafting wisely, then fire BAllen.

different spin pepper !

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping this is true...and that it manifests itself on Sunday night:

Ron Jaworski: Father time might be catching up with Peyton Manning
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 15, 2010 8:50 AM ET
Former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski watches a lot of game film in his capacity as an analyst for Monday Night Football and NFL Matchup, and he says he's noticed something interesting in watching the Colts this season: Peyton Manning might be getting old.

"The last couple weeks, as I've studied Peyton Manning, he has not been real sharp," Jaworski said today on Mike and Mike in the Morning. "Maybe there does come a time when the skills start to diminish a little bit."

Jaworski isn't saying Manning is washed up by any stretch of the imagination, but he is saying he's noticing throws that the 34-year-old Manning isn't making, and they're throws he used to make.

"I'm not saying it is, but I'm seeing little signs now that the deep sideline throws are not as accurate as they used to be, there's not the zip on the ball that there used to be," Jaworski said. "Maybe father time might be catching up with Peyton Manning a little bit."

Statistically, Manning looks like he's as good as ever, having completed 67.6 percent of his passes for 1,609 yards this season, with 11 touchdowns and two interceptions. But Jaworski looks at more than just the statistics and wonders if Manning might be past his prime.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

the more picks you have the more luck you get

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 15, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Peyton quotes beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

AA is the BOMB!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

No, he catches the BOMB!
And Poopy drops the BOMB!

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Manning...beeps

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Since there isn't really much to say about this post, I'll post my comments RE the stats piece here & on the previous post.

YPA
I love it when stats guys try to turn foobaw into baseball; where stats rule. His linked article is very interesting, but I'd still love to see his picks this season vs. mine. I just always seems you're using stats to explain what happened and then stating it was because of the stats. Still interesting, though.

Going 4th it
You do realize there's an MIT paper that explains how it's statistically better to go for it on 4th no matter what. Again, does anyone account for reality?! lol.

Balls Deep
Well, yeah - bring in a competent OC & a top 5 (or so) QB - yeh.. your all-stars will begin to catch passes...

Valuing Matthews
This also happens to be my favorite 90's Central Florida alternative band. But I actually can't argue this. I agree - that was among the biggest events of the game. Now... how much does a Rogers concussion get us?

Holstered Colts
Hey, I love the optimism. And I know you need to go into Indy believing you're going to win to even have a shot. But I believe we're actually going to have to concentrate on the RUN here... I mean, it's not like they don't have game tape of us missing a million tackles...And if they get us concentrating on that exclusively- lookout 4 Peyton!

So, while I may agree or disagree with the contentions... this is probably the best post on RI I've seen this season.

Mucho Culo! Props. Hail to 'em.

Oh & Happy Friday, ThRedsters!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I hear Cerrato's voice when I read these comments

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"can we love on AA"

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2010 9:01 AM

You can love on him; I'll love him from a distance.

I get your drift, hessone. Hope the dude continues with sticky hands and swift feet.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 15, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Re: Building the team

So far you've got to hand it to Shanny and BA. They've used whatever assets they have (meager as they are) to put together a team that is immediately competitive in the NFL.

Last offseason, Shanny/BA were able to pull off a number of unexpected moves to improve the roster considerably and utilize the cap-free year to their advantage in re-working the contracts of Hall/AH.

This offseason, though, their task is no less daunting. Their biggest task is going to be deciding who to pay with extensions and who to let walk. Here's a list of Redskins whose contracts expire/void at some point over the next 2 seasons:

Jamaal Brown, Rocky MacIntosh, Carlos Rogers, Donovan McNabb, Adam Carriker, Santana Moss, Kedric Golston, Philip Buchanon, HB Blades, Reed Doughty, Stephon Heyer, Philip Daniels, Vonnie holliday, Rex Grossman, Chris Horton, Anthony Bryant, Maake Keomatu, Malcolm Kelly, Kareem Moore, Chris Wilson.

That's alot of names of guys that are contributing right now, and a couple of big ones - J.Brown, D.Mac, Rocky Mac, C.Rogers - need to get decided on pronto.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Hess-Brown

You are both right. You have to be able to draft WELL, but you also have to fill in the blanks with free agents and or trades. I think what the Pats do is draft alot because they know it is a crapshoot. They also trade and sign free agent ( Moss-Welker) There is a crap shoot as well in signing free agents as well. NO one has mastered them both. You have to be balanced although I would lean toward more draft picks and less free agent signings. Keeps you younger and is cheaper.

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | October 15, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse