Anthony Armstrong: 'They must believe in me in some way'

It was only one play in a preseason game, and the Redskins have not announced their roster plans.

That aside, however, it seemed telling that wide receiver Anthony Armstrong was on the field with starting wideouts Santana Moss and Joey Galloway early in Friday night's 16-11 victory over the New York Jets.

"I feel good," said Armstrong, whose only reception in the game resulted in a first down. "I feel good because they're putting me in there, so they must believe in me in some way."

Washington's star on offense during training camp and the preseason, Armstrong lined up with Galloway and Moss in a three-receiver shotgun set on the Redskins' first third-down attempt. From left to right, it went Galloway, Moss, who was in the slot, and then Armstrong split right.

With the Redskins needing eight yards for a first down, quarterback Rex Grossman failed to connect with Galloway on a deep pass. But for Armstrong, his expanding role in the offense each week and his increased workload on special teams seem to be strong indicators that Coach Mike Shanahan plans to include him on Washington's opening 53-man roster.

Barring injury, Moss and Galloway are expected to start Sept. 12 in the big-stage regular-season opener against the NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field. Armstrong, however, could emerge as one of the team's most productive wideouts early in the season, which would be another chapter in his inspiring story of perseverance.

"We're all starting to get more comfortable in the offense, slowly but surely," Armstrong said. "We've got one more preseason game and then we're going to be kicking it off. I think by the time the Dallas game comes, we'll be looking pretty good."

By Jason Reid  |  August 30, 2010; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Anthony Armstrong
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks impresses again, but did he fumble away shot?
Next: Defense snagging more turnovers with new mindset

Comments

I am glad to see that Armstrong is doing well, but is there anyway we can hear about the other positions and players...we have had numerous reports on Armstrong, Banks, RBs and AH...any chance on the rest of the team, long snapper, LB's, Fullbacks, any of the DL going to get cut?

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 30, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Dude is on this team. Gotta have a guy that just makes plays on the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 30, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

How many receiver slots do we run again?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 30, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Love the underdog coming out on top here...it's what this franchise was built on. If Shanahan make this guy into the next Rod Smith, we got a helluva steal.

It's all the more reason why the "DT and MK are safe" crowd are all the more insane...nobody has outperformed AA in preseason and Moss is still the best WR we have.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Dude is on this team. Gotta have a guy that just makes plays on the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 30, 2010 10:40 AM |

Agree, this cat has made the team. Doing the things DT can't do and MK couldn't do.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I see Redskins Insider is spiking the burgundy and gold kool-aid again. Oh well. You dreamers will get your rude awakening on September 12 when you face a team that game-plans and actually fine-tunes a strategy known to work against the Redskins AND McNabb. It's preseason, folks!

We're keeping our fingers crossed in Texas that Shanahan will again let Bent Williams protect McNabb's blind side. We're fully aware of the fact that the last time that happened McNabb left the game with a "boo-boo". I'm sure McNabb has enjoyed visiting his podiatrist and his insurance agent this past week.

Warmly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | August 30, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

lol...nest of cobras, HB option...

Agreed, brownwood. The emergence of Armstrong is one of the reasons I think it almost doesn't matter how well MK plays this week; he just doesn't have enough games to show he can do it on the regular and if the Shannies gamble on him then you can't keep guys like Banks or AA unless you cut all the other RBs not named Portis.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 30, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we should just run that A-11 offence from the HS circuit.

I mean Baltimore was kinda doing it.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

AA has done everything you could ask for. From reports on the last game, it seems as if AA didn't block well in the run game (although I remember him with a good block on a DB in the red zone). AA has the heart it takes to do big things this year. He's really a good find by the team.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joe--- Dallass has looked real good this preseason,haven't they. You should be worried about keeping Romo alive when Orakpo and Haynesworth come right up the middle against that weak line of yours.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | August 30, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Not many WR's are elite blockers, that was one of the few things that Randal El had going for him. But if we get into run heavy situations I see Cooley and Davis being split out and doing WR blocks.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just selective dyslexia, but my brain always rearranges "PampaTex" into "Tampax."

Posted by: freakzilla | August 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong: 'They must believe in me in some way'

I'd say the wide out position is and is not a point of interest right now.

I mean, the starting quarterback is injured, so maybe some focus should be applied to the offensive line and his protection.

AA will make the team.

But ultimately, who's blocking for us will be of more import than who's catching passes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

btw- we've figured out your all the same person. Still not clear whether you're an acutal Skin troll or CowPatty (understandably, I don't know enough about that scourge of a team to test you and I really don't care to).

But I'll respond anyway... 'cause you're stupid.

Youguys got your SJK whopped. STsjkU!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 30, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I wish Devin Thomas had Anthony Armsrong's heart and Malcolm Kelly had his health. Maybe then I'd feel better about our passing game going into the season.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 30, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I like Armstrong, mainly because he wears the best number in sports.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The WR position is of interest because after Moss, Galaway, and Armstrong; who is on the team?

The only reason Kelly still has a chance is because the other nine guys haven't shown having it on a consistent basis against top competition.

With the remaining two or three spots, do you keep youth or experience? Are you looking for recievers or special teamers? And is height in the wide out position an important enough quality to keep someone around.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle,

LOL! Now we're all the same person? Before that, the reigning theory was Cowboys fans who rightfully told you that the Redskins stink were a bunch of Post interns trying to increase blog activity on Redskins Insider! The truth hurts bad, I guess. Your team really is awful.

BTW, the Cowboys team you see on 9/12 will not be in preseason mode. Conversely, the Redskins team will look every bit like they are. All season.

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | August 30, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

TamponHex,

Can I interest you in a can of stick'um?

...or do rHomo & Jones want to keep sharing that stick of butter.

And I'm not ruling your theory out. But seriously, you have absolutely NO ground for commentary this week. Shall I just point upward and chant "SCoooooore board"?

face it. You loose.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | August 30, 2010 11:06 AM |

Now that's halarious.

Tampax better worry about the Cowboy's porous o-line holding together. Romo getting clobbered is in order.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

yea..lets go ahead and snag Antonio Bryant

Posted by: pquick6165 | August 30, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the Cowboys team you see on 9/12 will not be in preseason mode.

Posted by: PampaTex | August 30, 2010 11:26 AM |

More likely to see Romo on a stretcher Sunday night and you puking Monday from your loser hangover. I hope you have hot dog missiles flying out of your nose, you moron.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Skins but, in an uncapped off-season in which Marshall, Holmes, Boldin, etc... changed teams, how can our starters be Moss and Galloway? I hope it works.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 30, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Skins should have kep Marko Mitchell. He impressed in preseason last year but was strangely cut this year.

He is 6' 4" and would have filled a back-up role nicely if Moss, Galloway or Armstrong is hurt.

I feel Thomas will make the cut but would be surprised if they kept Kelly. Kelly has been a huge disappointment.

Posted by: Smurfman | August 30, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Tampax,
Pluuuzzzse. The girls offense and defense looked not awful, but downright terrible against the Texans the other night. They got routed on both sides of the ball all night. Romo finally scored in the third quarter when he got to face the backups. That's real encouraging for you all, being that the Texans are such a formidable defense and all. But you're right, it the Skins fans that should be worried about a "shaky" offense and defense. Or maybe preseason is just a joke that you shouldn't put any stock into. And go to your own message board so you can discuss how to lose in the NFL with the best team on paper year after year.

Posted by: withoutanet | August 30, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse