Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 11/28/2010

Anthony Armstrong wants bombs to go for touchdowns

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins wide receiver Anthony Armstrong caught a 45-yard pass from quarterback Donovan McNabb in the fourth quarter, his fourth catch of at least that distance this season and the latest indication that he has developed into Washington's best downfield threat.

Armstrong, though, is getting greedy. Had McNabb led him on the play, he would have scored a touchdown and tied the game.

"I knew I had beat those guys real fast," Armstrong said. "The corners played a certain technique, and the safety was low. I was hoping [McNabb] would've seen it quicker, but I think he was probably dropping still. You got to go seven-step drops or what not. Shoot, it was one of those things. At least he put it up there and we made the play."

Armstrong now has 25 catches for 545 yards on the season, an average of 21.8 yards per catch. He entered play Sunday second in the league only to Pittsburgh's Mike Wallace, who was averaging 23.0 yards on his 33 receptions.

"I guess it's been my staple to at least get one" deep pass a game, Armstrong said. "It keeps my average pretty high. I just kind of wish we were able to take some of those into the end zone and help put up some points and get some wins. Whatever I'm doing, I don't care if it's short passes or long passes, as long as we get some wins, I'm going to be happy."

One problem on Sunday: On the play immediately after Armstrong's 45-yard catch, McNabb looked for Armstrong again, this time in the right flat. Armstrong couldn't hang onto the ball, and the Redskins eventually had to kick a field goal.

"It hit me right in the hands," Armstrong said. "I just dropped the damn thing. That's all. That's all me. That's just some concentration stuff. You got to be able to bounce back from a long play and catch the next one. Just got to wipe it off and then go with a clean slate."

Santana Moss leads the Redskins in receptions (62) and yards (778), with tight end Chris Cooley second in both categories (54 for 603). Running back Keiland Williams has 28 catches and is followed by Armstrong. No other Redskins wideout still on the roster has more than four catches. Rookie Terrence Austin, signed from the practice squad when veteran Joey Galloway was cut Saturday, did not catch a pass and was not targeted Sunday, though he did play.

By Barry Svrluga  | November 28, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Anthony Armstrong
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Artis Hicks benched in favor of Will Montgomery
Next: Redskins break out the Wildcat formation

Comments

Pace yourself, Barry. Guys are still re-posting in the Hicks thread stuff they originally said in the Riley thread.

Posted by: swowra | November 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"Anthony Armstrong wants bombs to go for touchdowns"-

They should interview McNabb not AA, AA made a nice play to stop and come back for the ball.

He was WIDE F'ing open.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"I was hoping [McNabb] would've seen it quicker"

who's a fool?

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

wildcat beeps->

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

It also why the dud toiled in the Arena FB league.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Read on Rachel...McNabb was taking a 7 step drop. If you think AA's comments are in any way indicting McNabb YOU are the fool.

The circumstances dictated "only" a very successful 49 yd pass completion, get over it.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 28, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

you're a fool!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I know this: I'd rather believe Anthony Armstrong than you!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

The same line that finished in Tennesse should have started here today they gave McNabb time to find the open wideout's this O-line today reverted back to form that is they were putrid. The defense under Haslet is a joke while they have the talent the scheme keeps getting exposed week in week out and a forty one year old QB with a bad ankle should not be running the same play fake the whole game and succeeding!!!. The bottom line is that Shannahan has come in and isn't much better than Zorn, his son is a failure as the off.coordinator and the team is in horrible physical condition with reocurring hamstring injuries. The running game is in shambles because the brain trust of this organization put all their egg's in one basket( Clinton Portis) and his backup by default Ryan Torain who suprise! has hamstring issues, how is it that a RB who hasn't played has hamstring issues again that lends itself to player's being in good physical condition. The bottom line is that the hiring of Mike Shannahan hasn't improved this franchises chances of winning not one iota.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 28, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag - that was the dumbest post ever.

Posted by: scottherbert5 | November 29, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

dargregmag - that was the dumbest post ever

i agree...except for the part about the o-line...we are rebuilding here folks...just relax

Posted by: mwalsh3 | November 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse