Anthony Armstrong may return punts and kicks

By Barry Svrluga

With rookie return specialist Brandon Banks out of Monday night's game against Philadelphia following knee surgery, Coach Mike Shanahan must find replacements both on kickoff and punt returns.

Running back Chad Simpson, who has two kickoff returns this season and handled kickoffs for Indianapolis a year ago, is a logical replacement. Phillip Buchanon, who began the year as the Redskins' punt returner, makes some sense on punts.

But in discussing the possibilities Monday, Shanahan brought up another name: wide receiver Anthony Armstrong.

"I do whatever Coach tells me to do," Armstrong said Wednesday. "If he wants me to throw a pass, I'll throw one, too. I'll do whatever I'm asked to do."

Armstrong pointed out that, while he was at West Texas A&M, he returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown. And though he hasn't returned punts, he has been among a group of Redskins - Buchanon, Santana Moss and DeAngelo Hall included - who have fielded punts in practice.

"It's just something you work at," Armstrong said. "I've been catching punts all through training camp. If that's what I'm called to do, I'll step up and make those plays."

Armstrong, too, had a challenge for the speedy Banks.

"I'm faster than Brandon Banks," Armstrong said. "I'm faster than him. He's real quick, though. I will say that. He probably has maybe a little more shiftiness than me. But I'm just as fast, if not faster."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 10, 2010; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Anthony Armstrong, Brandon Banks, Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: James Davis says he's ready to play Monday
Next: Redskins gameplanning for Michael Vick's skills

Comments

I hope his cardiovascular endurance is good...

Posted by: Alan4 | November 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Cut your starting KR, sign little banksy who takes 2 weeks to get hurt, now searching the roster for a KR.

Zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:02 PM |
----------

if you had to choose between zorn or shanahan to be your head coach, who's it going to be ?

Posted by: hessone | November 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Fun to bash Zorn, but he might be calling offensive plays in Balitmore soon:

Assistant coach on the rise: Jim Zorn, the former Redskins' head coach and currently the Ravens' QB coach, could eventually get a look as an offensive coordinator if Joe Flacco continues to improve. After a slow start, Flacco has played much better, and the offense has impressed recently. Zorn is one of two former NFL head coaches on the staff, with ex-Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron serving as the offensive coordinator.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Did you ACTUALLY see Devin Thomas return kicks? If you did then you wouldn't be able to say that with a straight face. Devin Thomas wasn't a team player, as soon as he got the ball, whether it was 8 yards deep in the end zone or on the 2 yard line, he always ran out of control and never let his blocks set up, he was a total maniac with the ball in his hands!

And little Banksy shouldn't be labeled as injury prone, that could have happened to anybody. Tell me you weren't jumping up and down and screaming like a little school girl when he returned that ball for a TD against Detroit, damn hypocrit!

Posted by: monk811 | November 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong may return punts and kicks

Why can't Devin Thomas do this kind of stuff?

Oh, wait, I forgot....

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 10, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Ya monk811 I DID see DT return kicks he ranked near the top 5 u moron

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Becuase he is terring it up in Carolina.

Oh, Wait I forgot he has not even be active for that sorry a$$ team.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 10, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It's obviously going to be hard to find someone who can fill Banks' shoes -- even if those shoes are admittedly smaller than most other NFL players.

Would be willing to allow Armstrong to fill in for an occasion play if required --I also wonder about the risk of putting him out there at the mercy of any other special teamer who comes at him with a head of steam.

While Armstrong might be able to contribute to special teams, we really need to have ready to play WR.

It's unfortunate that Roydell Williams or Joey Galloway can't field a few kick returns -- if only to prove they're worth something more to this team than whatever it is they've allegedly been doing here lately.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 10, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

He didn't have to cut DT to sign Banks. That's right he ran like a maniac, that is exactly what our offense needs. We're clearly short on talent and getting shorter thanks to Shan-a-cool.

U know who else ran KR straight ahead not waiting for blockers?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 10, 2010 1:11 PM

I was.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:02 PM |
----------

Posted by: hessone | November 10, 2010 1:10 PM
------------------------------------------
Don't throw tidbits to the morons, hessone.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

It's obviously going to be hard to find someone who can fill Banks' shoes

Posted by: Vic1 | November 10, 2010 1:17 PM |
--------

why not DHall ?

Posted by: hessone | November 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

So Simpson will be inactive this week and Davis will be up. Let's hope Davis won't get caught in a situation where McNabb makes an audible he dosen't know.

Posted by: TWISI | November 10, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 10, 2010 1:10 PM

I don't think he takes requests hess.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 10, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This ain't no track & field.... if you're faster than BB, then outrun some defenders and score some points!

Posted by: Alan4 | November 10, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 10, 2010 1:21 PM
------------------------------------------
I think you are confusing "active" roster with "game day" roster. Davis is currently on the practice squad which means he is not part of the active roster. In order for him to be pulled up on the active roster, the Redskins will have to release someone from the active roster.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@hessone

Gilbert Arenas could fill his shoes too...

...but not necessarily the way anyone would really want to know about.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the cluelessness was cutting Thomas before putting him on the field to see if he could contribute at wr--something 'professional' types like Galloway and Williams have not.

The Thomas cut will look like a major F up if Moss gets hurts and no adequate replacement is found.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ooh another scrap-heaper will b ready?!

Portis is stat. Better that Torain and that doesn't even count pass prot. And defensive respect/game planning. Take that u effin haters!

Shannahans benching New Soup, Campbell lighting it up in Oakland.

Players saying mcNabb will decide to stay or not at THE END of the year.

Articles about nobodies.

Debacle. I hope zorn-a-cool proves me wrong but so fat is only proving me right.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

------

Translation:

"I long for the days of 4-12's 5-11's and second half season collapeses. There is no doubt that having a legit GM and HC is a far worse situation than having Vinnie and Zorn."

Stop embarrassing yourself. All your whining and the team is 4-4. Conversely, you make excuses for players and coaches that were part of a team demonstrably WORSE than this one.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ya monk811 I DID see DT return kicks he ranked near the top 5 u moron

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 10, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Near the top 5? That could mean #15 for all I know, way to bring the facts! The FACT is that he would be IN THE TOP 5, not near it, if he hadn't been so selfish and trying to impress people by hitting a homerun every time. It's simple brainiac, use your mind, if he goes running like a bat out of hell EVERY time he touches the ball, he'll never let his blocks set up, in fact half the time he kept running into his own players, giving the coverage teams time to tackle him. Plus he just looked odd trying to run too fast, like a pink flamingo trying to ride on a pogo stick, he sucks, that's why he's not here, get over it, MO-RON!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 10, 2010 1:24 PM

Or if -- dare I say it -- he continues putting up those big numbers for the Carolina Panthers.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 10, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

hessone, shaunsherman12, and monk811,
Stop throwing tidbits to the moron. You can't argue with him because he's stuck in yesterday-land. It's like trying to convince pink paint that it is really red. Just don't go there.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 10, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hyperbole aside, I can't imagine DThomas being any less effective than Galloway has been. And Galloway doesn't contribute to teams.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 10, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe pabrian is right...and all of us are wrong.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 10, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

RI rolling along today...

Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | November 10, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

hessone, shaunsherman12, and monk811,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 10, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

----

True enough...it's just aggravating to read...about as aggravating as turning on the radio and hearing all the clowns on the FAN cry that the sky is falling every week.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 10, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

My prediction for the rest of the season:

vs. Eagles - W
@ Titans - L
vs. Vikings - L
@ Giants - L
vs. Bucs - W
@ Cowboys - L
@ Jags - L
vs. Giants - L

Maybe I'm being generous with picking a win over the Eagles. Michael Vick is at the top of his game and Kevin Kolb can pick apart the secondary if he plays. It's all about the performance of the offensive line on both teams. The Eagles will win by virtue of better pass protection. Torian and Portis are playing with injuries. Redskins cannot run the whole game. Their pass protection is next to last in NFL.

Posted by: RedCherokee | November 10, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Using Armstrong on returns is a mistake.

He is one of the only players we have on offense that stretches the field.

If you think we are facing adversity with Banks on the shelf just imagine Armstrong gone at WR.

That will leave us with Galloway and Roydell Williams running routes.

Anyone else NOT want to see that?

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | November 10, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas-2010

WAS Starts REC YD TD
0 0 0 0

CAR Starts REC YD TD
0 0 0 0

Fat Guy On Couch [Me]-2010

NO NFL Starts REC YD TD
0 0 0 0

Based on 2010 performance numbers alone, it was as big a mistake for the Skins and/or Panthers not to sign, keep, and start ME- who is just some random fat guy on his couch, as it was to let Devin Thomas go (Skins), or not start (Panthers) Devin Thomas.

I'm not sayin'---I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 10, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

pass protection is next to last in NFL.

Posted by: RedCherokee |

I see it pretty much the same except I see wins over Vikes and Boys (x2 every season, so SWEET)

Posted by: ElYeah | November 11, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse