Arizona game critical for Willie Parker

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that he had not reviewed with most of his team who would play and how much time they'll be on the field in Thursday's preseason finale at Arizona.

But some players - those all but certain to be starters - watched film of the Dallas Cowboys, the season-opening opponent on Sept. 12. Those starters then served as the scout team in Monday's practice, working to prepare the reserves for their final job audition against the Cardinals.

One player who is sure to see time: Veteran halfback Willie Parker. Shanahan said Monday that Parker, who has nine carries for 15 yards in two preseason appearances, will play against the Cardinals. He almost certainly needs to play well if he's to stick on a roster crowded with five backs competing for, in all likelihood, three spots.

"The only thing I can do is just say a prayer and just come out and have fun with the boys," Parker said. "It's kind of different. It's kind of awkward. But at the same time, it is what it is."

Parker missed practice Monday because, Shanahan said, he was "tight." Shanahan did not elaborate, but indicated that he expected Parker to be healthy enough to play Thursday.

Shanahan said that starter Clinton Portis, who sprained his ankle last week against the Jets, won't play against Arizona, though Portis was practicing Tuesday. It's likely Parker is competing against Keiland Williams, an undrafted rookie free agent, and Ryan Torain, a second-year back originally drafted by Shanahan in Denver, for a job.

"There's no nerves," Parker said. "Once I got hit, I was fine [last week]. I was just kind of anxious to get hit, but once I got hit, everything just kind of flowed and fell into place."

Parker, an undrafted free agent in 2004 out of North Carolina, gained 5,378 yards in his six years with Pittsburgh. Williams has 17 carries for 68 yards and two touchdowns this preseason. Torain has 23 carries for 72 yards.

Shanahan may outline some of the playing time after Tuesday's practice.

Should the NFL shift to an 18-game season? Our panelists consider the issue:

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 31, 2010; 12:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No cuts made by start of practice
Next: Malcolm Kelly headed to IR

Comments

Russellmania09

Before we had to leave, Shanahan and Malcolm had a private chat on field, and Shanny gave MK what looked to a pep talk #redskins
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for Android

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

john_keim

Kyle shanahan said he expects McNabb to return to practice next week. #redskins
5 minutes ago via mobile web

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

There is no need to keep Willie... Keep the young guys.

Posted by: tony325 | August 31, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

john_keim

Kyle shanahan said he expects McNabb to return to practice next week. #redskins
5 minutes ago via mobile web

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse
________

I find it very hard to believe that McNabb won't be practicing next week and playing against the cowgirls, given the circumstances. It wouldn't surprise me if Shanny is trying to force dallas to gameplan for both QBs.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until Goodell actually does reduce big ben's suspension by one game.

He should do it for no other reason than to fan the flames of NFL media war 2010.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep Kelly

So many peeps here want MK gone because he's essentially been injured almost since he's been here.

Bottom line: The 'Skins are not at all talented, collectively, at the WR position. Factually speaking, MK has more talent that almost any other receiver on the roster and sure has the prototypical size. We've gone this far without him, we can at least wait for him to heal up enough to get to full-go. THEN, we should evaluate. Worst case, he cannot get back to 100% and he is let go. Best case, he becomes a solid #2 WR or even a potential #1 later in the year and into next year and we won't get raped if his contract gets renewed.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

And when it's CP's turn to leave, I'd say we'd be better off letting him go.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 9:59 AM |

I like this "cross your bridges before you get to them" approach, Moe. Who cares how CP performs -- let him go.

We should apply it to everything we do.

Next time I'm in a restaurant I'm ordering swordfish, even if it's Morton's. Next time I buy pants, it's a size 34 -- regardless of how much weight I gain. And, next time I post on this blog, I'm for it -- whatever it is.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for updating....

so he went from 'fast' to 'tight'....thats a step in the wrong direction.

CP, Williams, Torian, LJ will be the RB's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I expect Shanahan to throw in a surprise name in the cuts today. Its one more way of setting the culture that everyone, ('cept the top tier) has to earn the job.

As for McNabb leading the film study vs dallas ... I guess that's appropriate.

But ....

if the film includes the last 2 games vs philly from last year, what is he going to say? Here I am getting my a$$ whipped, and there I am getting smacked and here I am running for my life and there I am turning it over, again ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Traded TE-FB Dennis Morris to St. Louis for LB Hall Davis. info courtesy of espn

Posted by: lszovati | August 31, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Ray Charles has better vision then Willie Parker. We end up keeping this guy hes gonna injury an olineman running smack into their backs like he loves to do. If this guy makes the team over one of the youngsters it would sucks, but he wont.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 31, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

But ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:04 PM |

Let's not forget that McNabb has a better record against Dallas then any active QB in the league.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Chad Rhinehart
Rob Jackson
Byron Westbrook
Curtis Gatewood
Bobby Wade

Posted by: Predator48 | August 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

substitute Tryon for Westbrook, and I think you've got it.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"I like this "cross your bridges before you get to them" approach,..."

I live this way due to my psychiatrist's recommendation that I take a new medicine that's come out over the past few years.

It's a pill you take daily that relieves all stree, and allows to base all you actions on coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The medicine is called Fuk-It-All.

If more people took it, they'd have fewer problems, as the medicine causes a person to look at life's irritants and shout:

Fuk-It-All.

There are cats inthis blog who could use this on an hourly basis.

In fact, the next time you read one of my posts, just shout:

Fuk-It-All!

I don't believe a damn thing he says!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Pep talk for MK12. Interesting...

Doesn't really mean much, though. Could be a pep talk telling him to fight back and catch on with another team. Could be a pep talk telling him to fight back with this team on IR and to keep his head up. Could be a pep talk letting him know the Skins are counting on him to fight back to play this season sometime down the road.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

CP, Williams, Torian, LJ will be the RB's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd take this. Wouldn't be shocked if Willie beats out either LJ or Williams/Torain. However, in keeping with the infusion of younger talent, I'd be shocked if we kept Parker and Johnson. They were brought in for their experience and to push CP and the young guys; IMO, to date neither has shown outdistanced Williams/Torain by much if any. Tie should go to youth. RBs are not all created equal, but Torain and Williams both look like they have enough talent to have a shot to be our starter in a couple years. I'd keep them both and cut one of the village elders...who are both 5 yrs younger than me...SJK-ML

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 31, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The 5 cuts today will very likely not be at all interesting. With another (mostly) meaningless game remaining, you want as much fodder as possible to get through the battle while giving the last few guys with an actual shot to put something down on film during the game.

I say today's cuts will be
a LS (Dearth)
Ramzee Robinson
Darrion Scott
Curtis Gatewood
Clint Oldenburg

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Williams fan from the RB group. He looks like he has more upside than Torain IMO. I think he's the token Shanahan sleeper RB.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

from what I've seen, Tryon has looked good in the games he's been in....pass breakups, and solid tackling...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

notorious

"I'd be shocked if we kept Parker and Johnson."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LJ's contract structured in a way where he gets some guaranteed money?

This would mean he probably won't get cut.

Parker will get cut.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 31, 2010 1:00 PM

So you'd go with player who can't stay healthy and doesn't do jack when he is healthy over guys who are preforming in camp and preseason games. Interesting way to assemble a team. How's your racquetball game?

Posted by: mack1 | August 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Few people - even the koolaid drinkers - can think this is the Skins' championship year. So on roster bubble issues, I'd really rather go with the younger guys. So I'd keep Keiland Willians and Ryan Torrain over Parker; Jarmon over Vonnie Holliday; possibly Darion Scott over Daniels; I wish DT and MK could have performed to make Galloway unnecessary; I think it's hard to have 4 sub 6 foot wr's so I wouldn't keep Banks, Austin, Armstrong AND Moss -- better to keep one fewer wr and one extra rb, te, or lb.

Posted by: thinker11 | August 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Funny line, but as you undoubtedly know there have been many examples of backup QB's coming in and playing well because a team hasn't prepped for them. Even some sad examples in Redskins lore.

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2010 12:49 PM

Couple memories that come to mind...

Good - Kent Graham years back against Denver

Bad - Leftwich couple years ago in relief of Big Ben (to help start the skins 2nd half meltdown as well...)

Posted by: PlayAction | August 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Keim: IR for MK12

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713

I can see trying to game plan for McNabb, but Grossman? What exactly does Wade Phillips have to adjust for Rex Grossman?

Grossman pisses his own pants. Dallas doesn't have to b*tch him for him to do it.

And I'm beginning to have doubts about McNabb's health/durability and as to what exactly how much he has "left in the tank". Yeah I know, I being a pessimist piece of sh*t, so what?

When they traded for him people were asking me why wasn't all gassed about it. I gave them three reasons: Age, durability, and QB accuracy.

Nothing so far has made me back off any of that. Dude is still 33, ALREADY has gone down with a injury (embellished or not), and still throws some of the most TRIFEUGLY passes that I've ever seen.

'Skins will tie the Eagles for cellar dwellers with an 8-8 record. Nay playoffs. Nay extension for McNabb -- and I don't think I'd want them to anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

sfik, thanks...he needs to take advantage of this time, RE-BUILD his body, and hopefully good things happen...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

HOLY CRAP CHARLIE WEIS IS FAT.

Seriously, if I were a player I don't think I could play for him. I wouldn't respect him, I couldn't respect him. I mean seriously, the guy is OBESE. I'm not sure if it's a condition or him just completely out of control, but you gotta ask yourself, "How can you expect an athlete to respect you if you can't stay healthy yourself?"

Thoughts anyone?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 31, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Derrick Ward anyone? he just been let go by the BUCS

Posted by: richardgovea | August 31, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Keim: IR for MK12"

Makes sense.

And when it officially happens, we'll all shout: "Fuk-It-All!!!" and find another player to b!tch and moan about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Kyle shanahan said he expects McNabb to return to practice next week. #redskins
5 minutes ago via mobile web

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Awesome!!!

The Optimism Bus keeps a truckin'.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 31, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The medicine is called Fuk-It-All.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 1:19 PM |

Moe, You need to get a new physician. The preferred med to Fuk-It-All is Cyalis, in the double dose. I can hook you up with some suppliers. You don't even need a scrip. I'll forward you some of the offers from by in box.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Keim: IR for MK12

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Really?? Wow. Wouldn't think Shanahan wants to keep paying they guy. Even if its not his $$.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

To Malcolm Kelly, Please take some time to reflect, score some HGH from Moss' doc, and for God's sake, stay off the highways.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 31, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

MK12 is done BEEPS

Posted by: Predator48 | August 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Keim: IR for MK12"

Guy's gonna pull down the big bucks for six months of yoga and pilates.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on ESPN Radio:
MK to IR, details to follow

Posted by: pgugino | August 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

zeke... its the upside.

I bet dude learns to stretch now, lol. If I'm him, I'd be a yoga doing mofo.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Pep talk for MK12. Interesting... Doesn't really mean much, though."

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 1:20 PM

It suggests to me that, if he needs "pepping up," it's because he's been given bad news; either that he's been cut, or that he's going on IR and won't play this year. I can't see them keeping him on the roster when it could be two months before he can contribute anything, and when he was on the roster and active last season, he didn't contribute much.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 31, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Keim: IR for MK12

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This makes sense. I think they have paid MK most of his 2010 salary already. So they keep him for one more year.

Remaining cuts:

James DEearth, HOward Green, Shay Hodge, and Wil Montgomery.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 31, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The notion that Kelly is this once in a generation talent is nothing short of a tragic comedy.

Can someone tell me why is it CRITICAL that they keep him around?

A quick history on Malcolm Kelly:

College: injured
Pros: injured

WTF is this love fest with dude? He has nice hands, yeah well so do I. He has height, and so what? Nice hands and height don't mean sh*t when either your hammy is tweaked or when you've got a bum knee.

Last year it was his knee. This year its the hammy. Next year it'll be his thyroid gland or his pinkie toe or some sh*t...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The Optimism Bus keeps a truckin'.

Posted by: iH8dallas

If or when the season goes to sh*t, I wouldn't want to be in a 30 mile radius of you. You're going to be an emotional suicidal wreck.

When heavy optimism turns into disappointment and let down, the results are catastrophic on an epic scale.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Tryon and Rhinehart will both be gone by Saturday as Shanahan is riding himself of players he doesn't think should have ever been drafted by Vinny. I also think MK's in a lot of trouble because he can't go on the PUP list and the Redskins are unlikely to hold a roster spot open for him. Looks like the Vinny draft of 2008 will consist of Fred Davis and Chris Horton unless Devin Thomas ever figures things out.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 31, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to get off topic but I just read that Mike Wise has been suspended from the Post for making inaccurate tweets off the top of his empty head. Please Post, please please please make it permanent. He may very well be the worst sports writer that the Post has ever employed. Sanctimonious and always trying and failing to be funny. There is one more that I could stand to see go but I won't mention her name. She thinks that she's funny too.

Posted by: curtb | August 31, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse