Posted at 6:45 PM ET, 11/28/2010

Artis Hicks benched in favor of Will Montgomery

By Barry Svrluga

After missing last week's game against Tennessee, Redskins offensive lineman Artis Hicks, the starter all year at right guard, returned to the starting lineup Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings, for whom he played last year. Hicks had practiced all week and had overcome the groin and thigh injuries that kept him out against the Titans.

But by the second quarter, Hicks was replaced by Will Montgomery, who had played the previous week at center when starter Casey Rabach was injured.

"I just didn't get the job done," Hicks said as he left the locker room following Sunday's 17-13 loss. Asked if the injury had flared up again, he said, "Nah."

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said he thought Hicks's physical condition, however, contributed to some poor play.

"He missed a guy one-on-one in pass protection, and I took him out at that time," Shanahan said. "I just had a gut [feeling], watching practice during the week, he went full-speed and when he got beat like that, I said, 'He is not totally ready.' This is a guy that has got a positive mindset, but I want to see him doing it during a game. When they blew past him that one time, I took him out because I just thought he wasn't ready to play."

Montgomery, a fifth-year backup out of Virginia Tech, said he wasn't given a reason why he was inserted.

"Coach just said, 'You're in,'" Montgomery said. "That's my job, go in when I'm told and not ask about it."

"Any time that there's a game on Sunday, I'm going to do my damnedest to be out there," Rabach said.

By Barry Svrluga  | November 28, 2010; 6:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perry Riley: "I feel terrible for the situation"
Next: Anthony Armstrong wants bombs to go for touchdowns

Comments

Shanny will need a few years to fix this mess.

Posted by: swowra | November 28, 2010 6:43 PM |

A few yrs and a fran QB a la Horseface or the (4 TDs, no Ints) Cut Man.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Perry the LB- "I'm going to look at it when I go home or look at it tomorrow when we go over the film. I'll be able to know then whether it was really a block in the back or a bang-bang play?"

It was a terrible play and you were guilty twice today. The 2nd negated a TD and was completely unnecessary because Banks was already by him. The refs could have swallowed the whistle but didn't. You should be cut.

He doesn't deserve all the blame, Now if they can interview the following..

The OL: another TERRIBLE showing by the interior
The DL: pathetic again. we need a NT and TWO 3-4 DEs
LA97 & KM41: It's a f'ing PA pass, they ran it 20x and you two nimrods fell for it every time.
McNabb: QUIT under throwing wide open WRs and preventing TDs.
89 & 47: Gamers but your two drops per game are killing us.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

"Any time that there's a game on Sunday, I'm going to do my damndest to be out there," Rabach said.

By Barry Svrluga | November 28, 2010; 6:45 PM ET

Barry - dude, you a big time WaPo journalist. It's damnedest, not damndest. Christ Almighty!

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

my son high school can beat Washington with no promble at all, Washington defense have to many hoe in it, Mcnabb should had stay in Philadelphia because he all wash up, Mike Shanahan look like he high off of drug his son don't what he doing something need to change play-off no way in hell will me make the play off we need to make some big change in the off season with the defense and offensive and get some younger play all so let all the old player go some were just not in Washington

Posted by: westcurtis1961

Very well put. I won't add a thing.

Posted by: NickBarking | November 28, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

"Artis Hicks benched in favor of Will Montgomery"-

The problem with this move is that if you put WM in for Hicks then you can't bench Rabach or Lichtensteiger.

The interior of the OL is why we are 5-6.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

well said, offense once again was pew-trid...cooley/tana cannot continue to drop passes in the manner they currently are...get the youngsters involved Cook/other ol guys off the PS....lets see what they got over the final 5....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 28, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"Rabach, who suffered a knee injury against Tennessee, started and played every offensive snap. He said the knee held up fine Sunday, and he had no intention of sitting out."

This would explain why the interior O line was getting pushed four yards into the backfield on every play.

Posted by: NickBarking | November 28, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Rabach is the one that needs to be benched. Put WM in at center and you fix both guard positions as well. Last game showed that the weak link is at center.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 28, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

McNabb: QUIT under throwing wide open WRs and preventing TDs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 6:56 PM |

It look like Philly made the right call when they offloaded a skills-diminished QB and it look like the Skins made the wrong call to give up two valuable draft picks to rent the dud for a yr.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

beeps again---->

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 6:56 PM

I think Perry will be a player the team can count on next year. It's about gaining NFL experience with him.

He didn't do much, but I did like a couple of cuts Davis made. He needs to snyc up a bit more with the Oline, but I think he'll be player as well next year.

Random thought: Teams like the Bucs, and KC give reason that strategic player acquisition in FA and the draft could pay dividend in year two in program.

Posted by: TWISI | November 28, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery at center and Heyer at right guard you f_cking as_holes.

Oh, and the refs cost us that game. I'd love to punch that queer Ed Broccoli in his f_cking face.

They saw that block in the back, but the facemask that turned Banks head around like the girl from the Exorcist...like it never happened.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 28, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse