Bailey's return puts new focus on old deal

On Sunday, Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey will return to FedEx Field for the first time since the 2004 trade that sent him from Washington to the Broncos in exchange for running back Clinton Portis and a second-round draft pick, with which Denver selected running back Tatum Bell.

In the six seasons since, Portis has become the second-leading rusher in Redskins history and made the Pro Bowl following the 2008 season. But Bailey has been to four Pro Bowls -- added to the four he made in his five seasons with the Redskins -- and was three times a first-team All-Pro selection.

So with Bailey returning, it's just another opportunity to ask: Who got the better of the deal?

"You tell me," Bailey said Wednesday in a conference call with Washington reporters. "I'll let you guys evaluate that. Honestly, I think they got what they wanted, and the Broncos got what they wanted. We both still playing at a high level."

Bailey, whose Broncos are 6-2, said he doesn't quite know what to expect Sunday.

"It's been six years," Bailey said. "Honestly, it hasn't really set in that I'm going back there. I had the opportunity to play against them when they came here [in 2005], but I didn't get to play because I was hurt. It will be a little different to come out of the visitors' locker room."

Portis, who ran for 103 yards on 21 carries in his 2005 return to Denver, is likely to miss Sunday's game with a concussion, so there probably won't be a direct comparison. But Bailey, who has just two interceptions in the past two seasons, took some time to reflect on his time with the Redskins and compare them with the Broncos.

"I think you kind of know what to expect every day," Bailey said of Denver. "That's the good thing. When I left there, it was a swinging door. When I got here, it wasn't like that."
There are, too, some differences in the fan base, Bailey said.

"I'm not going to lie," Bailey said. "Everywhere I go outside of Denver, the only thing I get: 'I wish you were still with the Redskins. I'm a Redskins fan.' That's all I get, everywhere I go. Any city, other than Denver, that's all I get. Even in this city. There's Redskins fans everywhere.

"I'm not going to lie. I know the fan base is bigger. Stadium's bigger. They have a lot more tradition, but I still love being a Bronco. When I got here, [there were] no Hall of Famers in Broncos history. When I left there, there was probably 100."

Rouhier's latest

Reading material: LeBaron and Snyder's trusted lieutenant

On the day to honor veterans, Mike Wise caught up with Eddie LeBaron. ... In what has been a difficult season for the Redskins, owner Daniel Snyder counts on Karl Swanson more than ever, Paul Farhi writes.

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 11, 2009; 7:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins honor those who inspire them
Next: Jones takes crash course for Broncos

Comments

the trade was fair it's that draft pick we got screwed on. Though I think they used the pick poorly in the end.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Champ gets a pick six this weekend.......book it!

Posted by: k_square | November 11, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

For me, the position group priorities - the building blocks - are always OL # 1, DL # 2, secondary # 3. Vinny doesn't have building block numbers 1 and 3 at a competent level, or we'd be doing quite well.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 7:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------

I would modify this slightly OL #1, DL #2, CB #3, LB #4, S #5. Take QB, RB, WR when someone special is available. A lot of good WR's and RB's go in rounds 3-7.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 11, 2009 7:19 PM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 11, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I think I am ok with a pick six for champ. Since many including me wants to remember this season as the season that Snyder finally "got it," I don't mind laying it on a little thick just to make sure Snyder notices.

Posted by: jazapfsp | November 11, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Boring. I thought the only person who still cared about this trade was beantowngreg.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Champ gets a pick six this weekend.......book it!

Posted by: k_square

Unbook it. The dude has two picks in two years. Much respect to him though.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank God for the second-to-last paragraph of that piece. And thank you to Champ for being so honest.

It's nice to remember that no matter how bad the current situation sucks, being a Skins fan is bigger than that.

Posted by: farstriker | November 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jazapfsp

As angry as I am with Snyder, there's no way I would be "OK" with an opponent getting a pick six on us. The "maroon and black" runs a little deeper than my disappointment in Snyder.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious.

The 2nd was just another throw away of the future by Snyder. Straight up it would have been OK.

Skins are a laughing-stock now. The next few weeks they will be chum in the NFL waters - a true bloodbath to come.

Posted by: gdennie | November 11, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

2 ppicks in 2 years he'd be getting crucified on this blog, just like Portis does

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

people say Champ is a great CB. Now I don't see a lot of Bronco games, but in the games I've seen, I wouldn't have pegged him as an elite CB.

All in all, the trade did work out for both teams. But yeah, giving up the 2nd rounder was pretty silly.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Funny how he says they're both playing at a high level. Portis looks slow, he's injury prone and appears done and he's playing at a high level?

Bailey's brain is suffering from playing at the high level of Denver's altitude.

Posted by: 72Redskins | November 11, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

ccwbambam, Betts is averaging 3.5 yards a carry on the year and Portis is averaging 4.0. My money is on the guy getting 18-22 carries a game who is averaging .5 yards more per carry.

Posted by: wewbank1

westbank1

In sundays lost to Atlanta, after Portis got knocked out. Betts rushed for 70 yards in 15 carries, that's a 4.66 average if you want to get technical.

Portis should be parked until he's able to practice during the week. No Practice - No Play on Sunday.

Zorn and Vinney should be gone after Sunday's game

Posted by: ccwbambam | November 11, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins got hosed on that deal. Not only did the Bronco's get a lockdown cornerback, but they got a far better locker room influence than what the Redskins got. To think that Washington also had to give up a valuable draft pick in the deal, and yes, I think they definitely got hosed.

I'm taking nothing away from Portis. He has been a great running back for the Redskins. He's always been an awesome blocker for a guy his size and he brings it on gameday. It's the "CP has missed practice again because of a chipped nail" stuff that gets me. I think that kind of stuff sends the wrong message. Then you have the relationship with Snyder, which has, on occasion, seemed like a cause for special treatment, and so, yes, I think Denver hosed the Redskins in that trade.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

the broncos used the 2d round pick from the portis trade, for a running back Tatum Bell.

Bell, "led all AFC rookie running backs in rushing yards. In 2005 he was the second part of a dual running back system with Mike Anderson and rushed for 920 yards."

Denver then traded Bell (along w/george foster and a 5th rounder) for cornerback Dre Bly, who played for denver for 2 years with "a total of 98 Tackles and 7 Interceptions" he was released due to salary cap issues.

so, I'd say, Denver parlayed that 2nd round pick into two quite effective players.

given that running backs are easier to find via the draft than shutdown corners (champ bailey one of the best cornerbacks in the league over his career to date), I'm a bit skeptical of that trade from the skins viewpoint.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | November 11, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go back farther than Bailey. The way we handled the trade with Ditka and The Saints, set us back a decade. We had picks galore, but squandered them.

Posted by: clark202 | November 11, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I alway thought the trade was horrible. CP was dressing in funny outfits and champ was acting like a pro in Denver. CP may the Skins leading rusher when all is said and done. But who cares in the Dan era. I will think Reggie Brooks or Steven Davis as the last Skins leading rusher. He certainly will be a forgotten tool in south Florida in a few years. Just thinking about trade makes me sick.

We could gotten Bettis years back..Dilfer instead of Schuler...Sapp etc
Jeeze. I think Dan should pay the fans for his crap. F him and Tom Cruise. The WORST francise in the NFL. Good for the players bad for the fans.

I hate Dan and how he destroyed the Skins and their History.
Shame on Dan Shame on you.

Posted by: dmlopez1 | November 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Tatum Bell is a great RB if you need extra luggage.

Posted by: daggar | November 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

At least Champ can tackle, whereas DeAngelo can not..But, enough negativity, humanity looks like a failed experiment anyway, Peace to the Vets..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJYAp3BEN8

Posted by: frak | November 11, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Reading comments from Champ at the time Gibbs got here he wasn't excited about it, just as LaVar wasn't. Neither of them were happy during Spurriers time here and then we brought back a coach that was out of football for 11 years so neither had a lot of confidence in the organizations decision making, as evidence by Champ's comments about a "revolving door". Bottom line is he wasn't going to resign after that season when his deal expired and we had to get something for him and had no leverage in a trade.

I still don't think Gibbs was behind this deal either though. Look back at Gibbs 1st tenure, he won the Super Bowl with 3 different RB's, do you really think he'd have preferred to give up Champ for a RB?

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | November 11, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

But, enough negativity, humanity looks like a failed experiment anyway,

Beer was a failed experiment to make bread, and look how that turned out.

Posted by: daggar | November 11, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

No way Gibbs gives up Bailey for Portis. He was making the best of the situation. As I recall Bailey really ripped into Snyder when he left.

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Who won? Champ Bailey knew the 'skins would never win with its revolving door of coaches, players and systems. He was smart enough to get out. Denver fleeced Snyder with an unnecessary 2nd round pick. Portis is stuck with a losing team.

Posted by: jgluke | November 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

the thing about a great CB is that unless he's flashy as Deion Sanders in his prime, most times you hardly notice he's even playing.

when Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes played the corner for the Raiders in the 80's, you always notice Hayes because he got all the interceptions but Mike Haynes is in the HOF and is considered one of the best cover corners of all time.

don't think Champ is in the same class with Sanders or Haynes but as with most great CBs, most teams don't try to throw too many passes in his direction.

Posted by: joek443 | November 11, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

While I can't see the 'Skins winning any more games, I don't see the games as an 'easy out' for any team. JC won't quit; Buges won't quit, London, etc. won't quit. Now there may be some folks who will, but I don't see this team rolling over for the last 8 games. If a team lets their guard down, this team will scare them. Since the playoffs are out of the question, I wish Zorn had the fortitude to sit some folks (cough-PORTISHALL-cough) who don't perform and let young players gain experience to provide some long-term depth. Sadly there's nothing about the offense that will force opponents to lose any sleep game planning. All you JC castigators: did you see that pass Avant caught from McNabb, or even that one-handed grab Bush made from Brees? Those passes weren't that 'accurate', yet the receiver made plays. Every time I see these great catches by receivers across the league I question weather any Redskin receivers could make those catches. I will concede that JC may be gun-shy about throwing those passes, but that's a symptom from the team issues. Yes, JC has always had a long delivery; so did Rypien, and so does Flacco and Big Ben to a degree. Phillip Rivers 'locked in' on Jackson for that game winning TD, but when JC 'locks in' on a receiver people lose it. When the new GM gets here, I just don't see him wanting to jettison JC as fast as the peanut gallery does.

Posted by: pdfordiii | November 11, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Dear whoever,
Let's keep our eye on the ball... if Cerrato is not fired, after this season, we need to tear this motherf#@#er down. That means stick to your guns, b#*ches.

Posted by: noseman4681 | November 11, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

When the new GM gets here, I just don't see him wanting to jettison JC as fast as the peanut gallery does.,/i>

What new GM? What planet are you on/ His name is Daniel M. Snyder and I don't see that changing do you? As far as JC, see Bailey's comments about the "revolving door" and imagine how JC must feel at this moment. JC will do everything possible to get out of that situation and away from Snyder before his career is completely incinerated by the Skins borderline personality disorder owner.

Posted by: periculum | November 12, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

But, enough negativity, humanity looks like a failed experiment anyway ...

Posted by: frak | November 11, 2009 10:52 PM |

There's an interesting 3 part series on PBS Nova about how the humanity experiment started. Many of the human attributes we have today were present when the species first emerged. Even back then, dudes who couldn't checkdown real quick to identify where the lions were blitzing from got eaten alive.

Posted by: SpecialOps | November 12, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SpecialOps | November 12, 2009 3:02 AM |

Good one, dude. BTW, how's things in your part of the ops world? Ever since W left office, govt contracts for black bag jobs have disappeared quicker than a fart in a hurricane. Heh, heh.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 12, 2009 3:35 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? People still care about this trade? LET IT GO.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | November 12, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

weep weep

Posted by: League-Source | November 12, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

JR.. old news about a very old trade.
Why didnt your write the one that has to pi-s-s off Snyder? The picks that Denver got for allowing Snyder to move up in the 2005 draft to get that much coveted Jason Campbell..
Look at the starters they got for those draft picks..(including an All-Star Wide Receiver).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | November 12, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think there is some serious selective memory going on when people talk about this trade. I like to hate on Snyder's silly personell moves as much as the next man, but this just wasn't one of them. If anything, it was a total coup.

In case people forget, Champ's contract was up and had been pretty clear about his intentions to get the hell out of Dodge. We got Portis in exchange for a dead duck.

Posted by: jstew06 | November 12, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? People still care about this trade? LET IT GO.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | November 12, 2009 7:04 AM |
-----------------------------

Agreed.

Champ's a good player; but he isn't the best corner to ever wear the burgundy and gold. That would be #28.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 12, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by:
Clark202
------------------------------------------

Have to disagree here. Some history: Skins had the 5th pick that year (1999), and traded it to Ditka for the Saints 1st (#12 in 1st round), 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7th picks, *PLUS* the Saints 1st and 3rd the next year (2000). The Skins then traded the 99 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th they got from the Saints, plus the Saints 2000 3rd rounder to the Bears to move back up from 12 to the 7th slot, where they took Bailey.

Bottom line was that the Skins wanted Bailey, and got him in the 7th slot instead of 5th (saved money), plus wound up with a couple extra late picks and the Saints 2000 1st rounder. The Saints were lousy the next year and that 1st pick turned out to be either the 2nd or 3rd pick in the 2000 draft (either Lavar or Samuels - can't remember which). I'd call the results of that trade a home run.

BTW, that 12th pick in the 1st round they traded to the Bears was Cade McNown, I believe.

Posted by: sysadb4201 | November 12, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse