Barnes Is Catching on to Pro Game

Rookie cornerback Kevin Barnes led defensive backs with four interceptions on the final day of OTAs, winning the defense's daily competition for the first time since he was drafted in April.

Though Barnes had a rough start in the OTAs, the former Maryland star finished strong. He said it took him a while to adjust to the speed of the game at the pro level, and get used to how much bigger everyone on the field was.

"At this level, everybody can beat you on every single play," Barnes said, "but everything's starting to slow down for me now."

Barnes will focus on improving his conditioning before training camp. He lives near the Redskins' training facility in Ashburn, so he will work with the strength coaches on a regular basis.

"I have to be able to run full speed on every play," he said. "As a young player, that's something I have to get better at. Coaches told me in the beginning that that's something I really need to do."

By Ishita Singh  |  June 11, 2009; 2:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry Takes Field for Final OTA
Next: Quad Pull Keeps Mike Williams Out

Comments

He is one of the FIRST to benfit from OTAs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear some definite positives coming through the minutia of OTAs.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 11, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

OTAs didn't play to Barnes' strength as a hard hitter. Hope he comes on and takes Smoot's job.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I love our secondary...

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 11, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I not only want him to take Smoot's job, but I want him to challenge for a starting spot. I don't want a "good nickle back." I want a good "cornerback." I don't want to settle for mediocre anymore.

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I think Barnes is gonna be a real good corner for us...maybe we will intercept some passes this year with DeAngelo and Kevin in there...

Posted by: kickass10101 | June 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 3:23 PM |

Right. And I want him to be truly exceptional and walk on water. He's a first year guy learning a tough position. If he doesn't beat out Rogers or Hall, that doesn't mean he's mediocre. It means he's a rookie.

How about this? Maybe he's good enough this year that we don't have to resign Rogers as a free agent next year?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

TE, your assumption that I was implying that if he doesn't take the starting position means he is mediocre is faulty. I said "I want him to challenge for a starting spot." I don't expect it to happen right away, I just don't want to settle for a good nickleback. I do not expect Barnes to be #28 in his first year.

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Four INTs? After last season, I'm surprised the coaches could recognize an INT when they saw it.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

What needs to be mentioned is who threw those 4 INTS. That doesn't look good.

Posted by: moosepod | June 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this: How is Allen Iverson practicing going to make Kevin Barnes any better?

Posted by: THA_BOSS | June 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse