Barno, I Did Not Mean To Scorn You

Damn, you guys are tough.

Okay, I am the first to admit that I am trying to regain some smidgen of my life back after working essentially 7 day weeks with overtime on top since leaving for Germany to cover the World Cup June 8.

I don't know how many more times I have to say it .. peeps, I am running on fumes. I am dry. I am fried. I am burned out. I need a bleeping break ... and next week I'm being shifted to Ravens to cover them in playoffs, which ain't exactly a vacation. I'd be the first to admit I am not in mid-September blogging form, as many have pointed out. I'm just trying to catch my breath. All of the bashing is deserved, but I'm not running from it; I've been trying to brace you guys for it for like the last two weeks. I'll get better and surprise you with a witty, creative, hair-band laden post when you least expect it. Just probably not in the next 5 days.

Now I'm not sitting at Redskins Park on the job with time to spare, I am actually trying to do what most people get to do every week - spend at least a day with my family. Honestly, when I'm not posting I don't mean to offend anyone. I just have a lot of other things to catch up on.

As for Barno, bro, I have not forgotten you, but dealing with pro athletes on something like this is not often the smoothest thing. I tried to get the DVD back - which I bought with my own money, by the way - from Chris like 3 times, each time he said he'd put it in his locker, but never had it. On Sunday - get out of town day - I asked him again and he said he's sign it and leave it at the front desk. As of Tuesday it wasn't there.

Trust me, I will get Heavy Metal Parking Lot signed and to you at some point, but if I don't have it, I don't have it. And please, no one jump all over Cooley, either. It's easy for forget stuff like that, and he means no harm to Barno, the blog or any Redskin fan. He's a super cool dude, but someone who, say, if he was your best man he'd definitely show up with the ring, but probably about 3 seconds before the procession began down the aisle.

Again, my deepest apoligies Barno. I wish it did not take this long. If it's not waiting for me next time I'm at Redskins Park I'll call his cell and see if I can pick it up from him. I understand your frustration.

Okay, I suppose that completes this latest mea culpa.
Peace out.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 3, 2007; 9:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Columns Rolling In
Next: dcsween's Guest Blog

Comments

OK we got to give JLC a break. Or I really am going to start smacking people in the back of the head. JLC enjoy the time with the family brother.

Posted by: jm220 | January 3, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Some peeps on this blog really do need to get a life. There is something strange about people blogging up to 12 am on NYE. Get out of the house and meet some people in the flesh.

And Barno, act like a grown up and accept disappointment.

Posted by: Blog Watcher | January 3, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

ummmmmmmmm that sound you just heard is the brady quinn bubble bursting

Posted by: dealer | January 3, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

blog watcher, i think there was a game on NYE that's why you saw people on here.

*mumblingbamfmumbling*

Posted by: dealer | January 3, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

apology unnecessary, but ya gotta keep the comment trail from getting too long. 500 comments is not a 'little bit of dessert to look forward to'.

Bring on the guest bloggers!

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 3, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

JM, how can I be SMACK when you are smacking people? I'll have to come back as something else.

Posted by: SMACK | January 3, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

How's this?

Posted by: LIGHT PAT ON THE BUM | January 3, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

You got a point there Smack. Did you post first our did I make that statement first? If you posted first I will come up with something new.

Posted by: jm220 | January 3, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Smack is yours man. You are the big dawg here and I will not deprive the RI blog of a rally cry. I might not stick with this though. I look horrible in a raspberry beret.

Posted by: TAFKAS | January 3, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I look horrible in a raspberry beret

LMAO!! You are the man brother.

Posted by: jm220 | January 3, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Cease and desist the use of the name TAFKAS. Prince as all rights, title and interest in the term TAFKA in any form. If you persist in the use of TAFKAS, I will have OJ come over and show you how he would have done it if he had actually did it.

Posted by: TLFKAJC | January 3, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Jason's done a heckuva job this season, so lighten up folks! Great articles this week Jason! Lucky that Christmas is over, 'cause I don't think you'd be getting many cards from 'Skins management. But you gotta tell it like it is...

Oh, and by the way....Joe must go.

Posted by: Montana'Skins Fan | January 3, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm about to die laughing.

Posted by: TAFWHAAA? | January 3, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason La Canfora - Television Star!

Jason was on Comcast again tonight - twice in one week! Not talking about the Skins though - rather the playoffs.

Jason, you (and Mike Wise) actually see Seattle taking the NFC?????

Posted by: Lisa | January 3, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Montana,
I'm sure there's somewhere you can go to actually talk about the skins. But you're pushing this trail dangerously on-topic.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 3, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok, with all these teevee appearances and the generally growing profile due to his dogged pursuit of the Truth, I am really starting to fear J-La's departure to espn or some other Big Stage in the coming year.

Not that it's a bad thing -- more ca$h for Chloe and the missus -- but it would probably doom the blog. We'd be like a band of gypsies wandering the desert, hopping from blog to blog until we get kicked out...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 3, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

JLaC

Full pass from me!

But I have said it before and will say it again...the blog needs to use the "open thread" approach between enteries with maybe a link or just a "New Day New Strand" message so the convo stays freash and you dont have to scroll through 500...just a blogestion...

Listen we are losers on here ...my wife just said "your on the freakin blog again!!!" which I responded with.."hey with my list of bad habits this ranks pretty low...so lay off!!!"

Posted by: chr | January 3, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Why is it not cloak and dagger? I'm not sure I get that. I don't think the Redskins offseason is really going to sustain convo for 8 months. So branch out or go elsewhere?

Posted by: Brunello | January 3, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

chr equals chris larry

Posted by: chris larry | January 3, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Lisa and the gang - we taped the Comastthing Tues. afternoon in two segments and I guess they are airing it on different days.
trust me, i am anything but a TV star.
However, Nate, I like the way you think. Not saying I want to go anywhere else, but it's always good to be wanted.
No matter what, the blog in some form would live on.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 3, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

chr - good idea. I never thought of that. Iam not much of a tech dude, but I think there is a way I can at least set something to autmomatically post a new thread every day, even if it just says - "I'm lame and got nothin, but if you guys want to chat here, bring it on."
Will do, although I actually have some guests columns set for tomorrow.
I'll make sure the comments don't get too high. Point taken.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 3, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

J-La, could you at some point lay on us what it's like to shift gears from covering one team to another, especially one in the throes of what is generally expected to be a big playoff run?

I have no love for the Ravens, but I am interested in them as an organization, versus your extensive, intensive experience with the regime at the Park.

Looking forward to your Ravens work.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 3, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Why is it not cloak and dagger? I'm not sure I get that.
Posted by: Brunello | January 3, 2007 10:54 PM

It was a typo from Mr JLC a few weeks ago that works for me on oh so many levels that I couldn't resist appropriating it for my own nefarious purposes.
When I ran out of those, I kept the hope alive by posting here.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 3, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! Just heard both Seahawks starting corners are out for Saturday.....TO will have a field day!

Posted by: Lisa | January 3, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Nate, shoot me an mail reminding me of the topic about switching beats/teams/sports and I will write about it. Figure it will make a decent topic next week when I am out in Owings Mills.
Alright, I've seen enough of this bowl game. Off to sleep.
Cheers.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 3, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The thought of Clinton Portis (a loose cannon if ever there were one) surfacing on the NFL Network -- as somebody noted above -- has me highly amused. The dudes running that network must really be looking to spice things up. I wonder what costume Portis will wear when he's on camera.

I love that of DC's three currently active pro supastars, two are certifiably insane (Portis and oops-he-did-it-again-tonight Gilbert Arenas) and the other one don't speak so good yet with the English (Ovechkin).

Other cities may have their garden-variety malcontents (Iverson, T.O., etc,) and pretty boys (Favre, Tiki) but I think DC has 'em all beat.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 3, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

diddy, dr. 90210 is a chick thing. but i don't mind having to watch that show.

Posted by: dealer | January 3, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Uh yeah, I better not touch that either cload

Posted by: Brunello | January 3, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

cload, Brunello, I recently read a book in which one of the characters was a French Canadian dude named Claude, and several times it was mentioned that people tended to mispronounce his name "clawed" instead of "cload". That's what your name makes me think of, which is ok because it was a pretty good book.

And I love the backstory, the J-La typo which spawned it. Nicely done.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 3, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

pub golf, governor, art monk to the stiks, your boy larone landry hasn't done shti tonight!

and neither's al davis' boy brady quinn.

ohio state lose inspite of troy smith or florida win despite leak? i would've picked florida but troy smith scares me.

Posted by: dealer | January 3, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Alright Lisa, I see you and raise you. The Seahawks will shut out the Cowboys, easily, in their sleep. Romo will fumble twenty-seven times. TO will burst into flames. Roy Williams will literally be shaken out of his, yes, jock strap. And worst of all, our owner might come down on the field.

Posted by: Brunello | January 3, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate, you are a saint. I'm thinking far more horrible things.

Posted by: Brunello | January 3, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

OMG! what a pass!!!! for LSU. who the heck is this kid?

Posted by: dealer | January 3, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to imagine the NFL network test screenings for CP:
CP: "Well, I mean, the running back is running, you know, like a man tonight."
Producer: "Umm, could you shorten the whole 'well I mean' thing down to 'ummm'?"
CP: "Well, I mean, yeah, I suppose so"
Producer: "..."

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 3, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Whisenhunt to interview for Falcons job Thursday

looks like steelers are going to make Grimm the HC. too bad! really too bad! i hate the idiots who're giving snyder football advice!

Posted by: dealer | January 4, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Sugar Bowl Post-Mortem:

JaMarcus Russell looks like the "real deal". Can't imagine the Raiders passing on Russell in the draft if he declares early. And he can throw the ball how far? 85 yards??? Russell to Moss - TD, Russell to Moss - TD, Russell to Moss - TD. Al Davis' perfect dream QB.

It's now official - Brady Quinn is the 2007 recipient of the Heath Shuler Award. (I hear Detroit may have an opening for a QB - have fun, Brady!)

LaRon Landry made a nice few plays, but like so many others this year, it appears he is just one of the best of an average bunch. Start trading those draft picks down now unless you need a QB. (Maybe Cleveland will get a shot to draft that Broehm kid from Louisville.)

Was it just my imagination or did Samardzija really spend most of the evening begging for interference calls from the officials instead of just catching the damn ball? Maybe he should plan on starting that baseball career of his very soon (and eliminate football from his plans). (Find out where Mike Hass is hiding if you need a reliable possession receiver. He was last seen hanging around with the Bears practice squad.)

Okay, next college bowl game is the International Bowl, from Toronto, Ont.!!! A fierce battle is projected between Cinncinati and Western Michigan - Saturday at Noon, EST on ESPN2. (I am absolutely sure most of you will be doing something else, and I can't blame you!)

And don't forget the GMAC Bowl on Sunday at 8 PM EST on ESPN from Mobile, AL. It's another real clash of titans: University of Ohio (Athens) vs. Southern Mississippi! Real must-see TV! LMAO!

And that's it for the college report tonight.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | January 4, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey Nate!

Do me a favor: when you drop that e-mail to JLaC about topics to write on in B'more, ask him if he can interview the GM (Ozzie Newsome) and find out how they evaluate for the draft. I have a feeling they do more there than compile Kinko's dossiers.

Thanks!

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | January 4, 2007 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Too bad for us - it looks like Miami will not be looking at Grilliams as a possible savior, post-Saban. Dom Capers (!?!?!?!) may have an inside track, and assistants like Whisenhut are on the potential list of interviewees (pending availability).

I still like Grilliams for either Indy or Arizona. Now if we could only get those owners interested. (Thinking)

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | January 4, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | January 3, 2007 11:13 PM

Forecast for Seattle, WA for Saturday

Rain
High
44°F
Low
40°F
Precip: 80%

Cloudy with rain. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the low 40s.

Should be a fun day trying to catch the ball, anyway.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | January 4, 2007 2:07 AM | Report abuse

J-La - you've done a herculean task this season so go and get the three seconds of well deserved and earned rest.

Yeah 500 posts may mean you have to hit the scroll button a bit longer kids but I have no fear or doubt that we can keep this sucker going with the "I've got nothing" new threads. Let's not turn into the Skins D and implode on 3rd down and then be DubG and blame everyone else.

100K by draft day!

MV Dame - excellent numbers crunching. Well done sir!

Posted by: sfskin | January 4, 2007 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh also anyone who spends anytime either reading or posting on this blog regularly has about as much right as a Gitmo detainee to tell the rest of us to get a life.

I have a life and it indeed does include this blog. I am a loser in so many other ways that this is towards the bottom of the list. I say embrace and love the blogger inside you.

Posted by: sfskin | January 4, 2007 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I really like the name Credence Pondwater for GGrilliams, whoever came up with it a couple posts ago.

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | January 4, 2007 2:40 AM | Report abuse

I had the best appetizer for dinner today that I just had to share it. Went to my buddy's restaurant and he decided to experiment a little: Polenta and chevre-stuffed roasted quail on a bed of mixed greens with pomegranate vinaigrette. I could have eaten ten of them.

The main was a Porcini mushroom encrusted filet mignon with a port wine reduction. Dessert was a bowl of fresh strawberries soaked in 12 year old balsamic vinaigrette with a generous helping of marscapone whipped cream.

I needed a wheelbarrow to come home.

Still no booze, so far, so good.

Glad to see we're still setting the bar on blogging. Here's hoping we get a few posts that don't mention "Double G has to go" or "Gibbs has to go" or whatever.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 4, 2007 3:09 AM | Report abuse

BTW, if anyone's coming out to Seattle for the playoff game, let me know. You can do all the sightseeing you need to do in Seattle within 13 minutes (I've timed it). After that, your best options are a) sleep or b) drink heavily.

This has to be the most boring town in America, apologies to Portland and Omaha.

Posted by: P Diddy | January 4, 2007 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Whee. Lord, are we getting a bit irritable with the end of the season, or what? It's going to be a quiet offseason, compared to where we were in September, so it's best we all learn to turn down the dial on the rhetoric. I'm sure we'll have a month of postmortems as we try to bury this past season with a .45 and a shovel, then it'll be out to pasture until draft day.

JLaC? Rest up, man. You better take care of that family, now that you've stopped needing to toss bad credit cards to us hundreds of little dancing floor scissors as frequently.

Me - I need to find a way around the Net-Gestapo at work. That'll be my project for the next few months, while I wait greedily for the next bit of tangible news from Arseburn.

Later, folks.

Posted by: FlimFlam | January 4, 2007 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Jason, unfortunately for your girl, I think you may be stuck with the Ravens all the way to Miami.

Tell Mrs. Jason its about resume padding ... and that someday you aspire to a position of esteem and honor in sports journalism, like the beloved Peter King, Dr. Z., or Len Pastabelly.

Note to Barno: Embrace the "Cooley got barbecue sauce on my disk" story. It will become gold.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Can there be a blaw that JLa is not allowed to apologize for not posting enough? Dude doesn't need to feel bad for not feeding the coked-up hamsters.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | January 4, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

I missed three days of this blog until Weds. 3rd and I am still catching up. I don't know how you keep up with it in addition to the your job and family. I wish you lots of extra free time which I know is a valuable commodity.

Posted by: charlie | January 4, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks peeps.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the apology JLC. Hopefully Cooley will get that disk back to you soon.

dcsween- "embrace the cooley got bbq sauce on my disc story" HILARIOUS. I may just have to use that.

Posted by: Barno | January 4, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse