Scott on Portis and the Ravens' D

Ravens linebacker Bart Scott used to be known for his brash talking and bold antics, but he's toned down his act a bit this season, which happens to be his contract year. I asked him about the Redskins' struggling offense, and thought maybe he'd throw in a zinger or two, but no dice.

He wasn't going there. No bulletin board material.

Scott said that the Ravens were not planning to pay any particular attention to wounded Redskins RB Clinton Portis, the obvious key to the offense given the plight of the passing game. They aren't planning to target injuries that Portis describes as "just whole body sore. Getting old."

"It's not really about anybody else," Scott said, "it's just about us doing what we have to do as a defense. We play physical football. That's just a product of how we play. It usually makes for a tough day for the opposing running back."

As for Portis's injuries, Scott pointed to the fact that Baltimore leads the league with 16 players on the injured reserve list, and the fact that players across the league are battered in the final quarter of the season.

"Nobody's feeling sorry for us having [16] guys on IR," he said.

Baltimore's defense is again among the best in football, ranked second overall and first or second in many categories. Lately, the big-play element has really returned, however. Baltimore is 5-1 in its last six games, and has produced 15 takeaways in that span - one more than the Redskins have all season - and has scored four defensive touchdowns in that span (the Redskins do not have one all season). The Ravens also have two safeties in that span (one off a blocked punt in the end zone keyed by two defensive players).

The play of the corners has been tighter in press-man sets and much improved in recent weeks, which seemed to giving safety Ed Reed in particular more opportunities to read the passer's eyes and jump on routes (the safeties have returned two interceptions for scores in the past three weeks). Scott agreed that the stout perimeter coverage had something to do with it - "Our corners are playing great and that allows us to do some things," he said - but he actually pointed to the offense as the biggest reason.

Teams can't just get a lead and bleed the clock in the run game, because the Ravens are making big plays on offense and scoring points. And, also, by leading the NFL in time of possession, the Ravens are keeping their defense fresh on the sidelines, adding to their explosiveness.

"A lot of it is a credit to the offense," Scott said. "They are putting us in positions where now teams have to throw the football and we can make plays on the ball. We can rush the passer more and try to force mistakes and we've got guys who can take it to the house. It's all connected."

...

Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun writes today about the challenge the Ravens face in the Redskins' secondary. The Ravens' offense hasn't faced a secondary like this one yet. To read more on how the Ravens see the game, go to our Redskins page and check out "The Other Side" feature.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 5, 2008; 7:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice One-Liners
Next: A Follow-Up on Thomas as a Pulling Guard

Comments

Posted by: cosomfla | December 5, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Eventual

Posted by: dcsween | December 5, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Chance for snow around the area Sunday night. How nice would that be?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 5, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

JLC are you going to wear your Ray Lewis or your Ed Reed jersey on Sunday?

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 5, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing how much any chance for success relies simply on Samuel's knee. If Samuels can not play (and it is sounding 50/50 for each game the rest of the season) then you will have as your two offensive tackles, Jansen on the right side and Heyer on the left side. Is there anyone out there who thinks that the offense would not be seriously deminished? I would see virtually no chance for the long passing game to work since the line would be leaking like a sieve. We would have to keep TWO tight ends in to help each block a speed rusher. Our offense would be limited to run, run, screen.

Posted by: driley | December 5, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

No doubt the Ravens D is good. But look at those team they played the last couple of games. Sad we have to read the Baltimore Sun in order to hear about the challenge Ravens face. Even though this blog is called Skins Insider.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Our offense would be limited to run, run, screen.

Posted by: driley | December 5, 2008 7:50 AM |

Does'nt sound much different then what we are doing now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 5, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Give me the Bengals and the Browns Twice a Season and see if that wouldn't make us an Elite Team. The AFC North the the equivalent to the NFC West.

Posted by: DCSportsFanRegardless726 | December 5, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, this is an easy game for the Ravens. The Skins offense has no explosiveness, so the Ravens just need a modest lead. Then Zorn will abandon the run and try to throw, with predictable results.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | December 5, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Watched all that I could stomach of the Raiders/Chargers game, and the Raiders had JRussel rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run. Redskins need to come up with MUCH, MUCH more creativity, along with a different mindset against the Ravens.

If Zorn comes out and tries the same offense that has failed against Pitt, Dallas, NY, then I'll be stunned at that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Emmitt Smith has one word for the current Cowboys. "Mediocre." The NFL's all-time leading rusher and three-time Super Bowl winner said Thursday he was disappointed in the team's 8-4 record. And he questions whether the current players have the fight in them to win in December and reach the playoffs. "[I'm] disappointed because I saw this team being a lot better than it is," Smith said.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

From the Redskins Blog:

One defensive lineman who stood out today was Lorenzo Alexander, who was consistently in good position on runs and screen passes, including one where he stood up Rock Cartwright

I saw Malcolm Kelly go up high and make a spectacular catch over Justin Tryon, and I noticed Devin Thomas running hard and make a couple of nice catches, but I thought I might’ve just been overinflating their performances in my head. Then I asked Chris Cooley what stood out for him at practice, and he said, “The rookie receivers both had really good practices today,”.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

The AFC North the the equivalent to the NFC West.

Posted by: DCSportsFanRegardless726 | December 5, 2008 8:02 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...it's true the Ravens have about 4 easy wins in that division but let's nut go nuts here...the NFC West is probably going to have 3 of their 4 teams picking in the top 10 in next year's draft!

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 5, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I keep saying that Kelly is going to be beast we just have to give the kid time.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Kost,

Not to my knowledge,...... I think that Starke beer was from 82 or 83 SuperBowl year..... I can't imagine it would taste worth a damn, but I'd certainly "shotgun" it if the "Maroon & Black" won another Lombardi!!!!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 4, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Clegg,

I was playing in a charity golf tournament somewhere in Northern Va
back in 1988 and George Starke himself was on the course promoting it. Needless to say we indulged...as a matter of fact, I took a few extra and stored them in my bag. They didn't last long, but I may have one in my parents basement. Will have to research.

Do any of you remember Starke's Heada Hog BBQ? He had a restaurant on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda for a year or two. A buddy of mine was his partner.

Posted by: cosomfla | December 5, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

COSOM,

I DON'T remember the BBQ,...... just wish my dad wouldn't have drank the other 5 "Head Hog" beers, so we could've had a 6 pack instead of one left on the shelf. I'll have to check it out next time I'm vack in Va....Texas weather feels like Va. this morning..... brrrrrr... 8 yrs in Tx it's EZ to get acclimated to warm weather year round,... now I'm a wuss when cold gets here... 39 degrees this morning...

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 5, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw that JM220...he also picked the Skins to get the 6 seed in the NFC! He's apparently really trying to get hated in Dallas...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 5, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

At least he is being real about that team. They are not all that good.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

What constitutes "going up high" on Tryon? Standing on your tip toes?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Let's talk WildCat Offense....

Has anyone considered the mismatch that would be created by putting 3 wide left, Randle El wide right, Portis in backfield then swapping Campbell and Randle El?

No defense is going to double cover a QB lined up as a receiver but Campbell is 6'5" 225 and wanted to play Pro Hoops. What defensive back in the league is going to out jump Campbell for the ball?

Run everyone deep. Throw the fade to Campbell, screen to Portis, or let the defensive linemen try to catch Randle El. All the options favor the Skins. What do you think? Let's do it.

Posted by: Rdsknsfan4life1 | December 5, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

. What defensive back in the league is going to out jump Campbell for the ball?

What happens when he crushes JC with a big hit and he is out of the game? I don't believe Todd can get it done and I am not a big Colt fan.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Day 374 of Weekend at Bernie's. Finding it harder and harder to find things to mourn about Sean Taylor. Am committed to the cause, so cannot fail. Am told he had a wonderful dog and a refreshing shower gel. Will focus on those today; must not move forward or focus on improving the lives of those around me. Continue to wail for what has been lost and for someone I never knew....O the agony...

Okay, done with that. So how does Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco outperform JC in their first year in the pros? There was hardly a more dysfunctional franchise last year than Atlanta. Now a rookie QB comes in and performs like that? But none of what's going on here is Jason's fault?

Posted by: 70Chip | December 5, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

BEANTOWN,

I've been screaming about Rolling Soups out all year.... also, putting Tana in the slot and in motion a lot more. It will create open spaces with a "Safety SHadowing" and won't allow them to "Press him" off the line.....

WHY DOESN"T ZORN SEE THIS.... Look at Garrett with TO in Dallas... Now TO is getting more catches again and seeing more man without a safety... See the Thanksgiving day game...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that our offense struggles to score points and everything remains exactly the same. That's just a hunch though.

Posted by: Soup17 | December 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Bill Gramitican jumping up and down after a field goal and blowing his knee? That's just what we need, JC jumping over a cornerback and landing awkward on his knee...I agree with ARE in the wildcat, but keep JC safe too.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 5, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Let's talk WildCat Offense....

Posted by: Rdsknsfan4life1"

You should've just stopped there. Awful idea.

Next.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

What defensive back in the league is going to out jump Campbell for the ball?

Posted by: Rdsknsfan4life1 | December 5, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

They won't even try. As soon as the ball is snapped they'll hit him as hard as they can at the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 5, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Here's a little taste of BALTIMORON objective journalism here...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 5, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

RICH,

MARTIN GRAMMTICA Blew out his ACL doing that and funny personal story.... NOW HE's ENGAGED TO A FRIEND OF MINE THAT I WENT TO RADFORD WITH....... ( yes I went to Radford and ended my sentence in a preposition )

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 5, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

WHY DOESN"T ZORN SEE THIS...

zorny's answer to protecting jc was for to run 4/5 yards routes...we've been screaming to roll him out...isn't that like the obvious solution if you're getting beat up front in pass pro or your QB needs more time?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soup17

-------

I'll add to that. Instead of an offense that struggles to move the ball, we'll have an offense that starts moving backwards from the immobility of our quarterback coupled with the ineptitude of our pass-protection, and also initiates a free-for-all on INTs because Collins/Colt struggle to read pro-style west coast reads, and get frazzled when put under pressure of a heavy pass-rush.

Instead of a minimal offense, we'll effectively have moved to a negative offense. Our transformation to the Oakland Raiders O will be nearly complete.

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 70Chip

70, what a classy individual you are...must have been beaten as a child

Posted by: cosomfla | December 5, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Our transformation to the Oakland Raiders O will be nearly complete.

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

All that will be left will be to move backwards in 3D.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 5, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

jm220, kelly will be a good WR. but he just doesn't have the speed santa does. and our QB won't throw to anyone unless they're OPEN. no throw it behind the defender throws, no throws where he hits the WR in stride going across the field.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,

Technically, Santa isn't that fast. He just drives the sleigh and the reindeer make it around the world in one night.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 5, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Santa has to be pretty fash to get in the chimney, put the presents down, and get back up the chimney so many times in one night though.

You gotta be pretty fast to reverse gravity and go UP a chimney IMHO.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

clegg, Zorn need to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING different, to try and jump start this offense. The whole "executing" thing to me is frivolous at this point. Jansen, isn't going to 'execute' any better, period. He is what he is, and that is a sub-par right tackle.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,
I thought you roll out if you are getting hit up the middle, we are losing on the Tackels so a rollout would be a roll into the end dominating JJ and CS.

70 Chip,
You are talking about 2 teams that play very different passing games and have very strong lines, vs our dink and dunk stuff and junkline. Also Flaco is playing good but he is not besting JC in any particular area he is +2 tds and has a .1 better yards par catch but other than that JC is a stronger QB #s wise. Ryan's numbers are a bit higher than JC's but he is also better than Eli Manning who everyone is all hot for.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, cosomfla. Nope, I was actually raised in a normal family where you grieve for your loss then move on, rather than wallow in it endlessly. I was criticized earlier for not being sensitive to those on this blog who still mourn Sean (none of whom, by the way, ever knew or met the guy), so I decided to feel their pain and mourn like I've never mourned before. I'm confident that will improve my lot in life, or at the very least insert myself into an event that had nothing to do with me in order to make myself the center of the story....

Posted by: 70Chip | December 5, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

70, what a classy individual you are...must have been beaten as a child

Posted by: cosomfla

No he wasn't beaten and that's the problem.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

alex35332: good points both. I'll keep the faith that things will turn. It just gets frustrating to see even Atlanta scoring more points than us. Thanks!

Posted by: 70Chip | December 5, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

alex, at least then you can "maximize" the protection on the side of his roll out. the tackles would know where jc will be either on their side with help or on the other side, far far away from them...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Nope, I was actually raised in a normal family where you grieve for your loss then move on"

Never would have guessed that. I thought it must be your family ritual to disrespect the dead. Maybe it's just a personal choice, though.

As for Santa, it's possible he actually isn't that fast even with getting up and down the chimneys. Apparently his sleigh can travel west fast enough to actually go back in time.

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

70Chip loses a bet and is forced to wear a TO jersey for 1 day. The teasing by his Redskin fan friends becomes too much for him to handle and he runs home to suffer alone. in his haste he doesn't notice that the sign has just changed from 'walk' to 'don't walk' and is hit by a bus. He arrives at the pearly gates to find that it is St. Peter's day off and Sean Taylor is filling in for him. he Then looks down to find that he's still wearing the TO jersey.

The end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 5, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention 70Chip is the person who will not shut up about Sean.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 5, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Jlac writes in an entirely different tone when he's talking about the Ravens doesn't he.I wish we had a guy who covered the Skins without all the gloom and doom ALL THE TIME.

Posted by: smittdiddy | December 5, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

For all the haters saying the Ravens have had easy wins, One most of those wins have been on the road with NO BYE weeks. Also, did anyone notice the 36-7 win we put on the vaunted NFC East, Philly Eagles.

Ravens will smash the skins sunday nite and the call's to fire Zorn and Replace campbell will be almost as fun to watch as MCNABB getting benched.

WACKO FOR FLACCO!

Posted by: jdb70 | December 5, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

the keys for this game are Campbell protecting the ball while in the pocket, skins defense creating some turnovers, field position and kicking game. If the skins can kick FGs i believe 4 FGs can win this game for us.

Posted by: russelljharris | December 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Joe Flacco's eyebrows are so bushy, he won't see LaRon lurking in the secondary for an easy pick-6.

Count it!

Posted by: John_Keats | December 5, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

PS: 70chip, please keep your thoughts regarding the mourning of Sean Taylor to yourself. Everyone copes with loss differently, and while you may have moved on, that doesn't give you the right to insult those who haven't. Thanks.

Posted by: John_Keats | December 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: John_Keats

It does seem a bit odd to me the anniversary of his death was memoralized in what I understand to be a moving, but very somber way before a football game. If it had to be done, (I think it should not have been) before a football game, maybe show all the flashes of brilliance on the football field he displayed? I doubt anyone on this blog knew him personally and to continue mourning a stranger,is strange.
He was a great athlete who entertained us. How many entertainers died last year? Will we hold a somber, one year anniversary to continue to mourn? I hope not.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

fair enough, skins fan. I can respect that.

Reasoned comments > 70chip's sarcasm

Posted by: John_Keats | December 5, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Guys,

It comes down to the strength of the offensive and defensive lines. The Ravens don't allow sacks and they get after the QB as well as anyone. The Redskins have allowed something like 16 sacks in the last 4 games and have very little pass rush. The Redskins clearly have one of the most talened secondarys in the league but without a pass rush Bazooka Joe will have all day to pick them apart. Throw in the 3 picks that Cambell will deliver due to the intense pressure he will feel and there is no other way to predict this game except: The Ravens in a rout!!!!!

Posted by: Ravenous | December 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"The Ravens in a rout!!!!!"

Unfortunately I agree.

Vinny still can't understand that you build a football team with good offense and defensive lines. The Skins have neither. They can't stop people on offense and can't get to the opposing teams QB on defense.

I think it's going to be very ugly Sunday night.

Ravens in a rout.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

How many pairs of pants is JLa taking with him this weekend?

Posted by: peterandmeredith | December 5, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse