NFC East Is Beastly

Perhaps the Giants' upset of the Patriots in the Super Bowl was the harbinger. For the first time in a long time, the NFC now seems superior to the AFC. With the Pats and Colts staggering, the Chargers imploding, and the Steelers and Titans still unproven, you have to look at the dominance of the NFC East and call it the best division in football. And I think that, overall, teams like Green Bay and Carolina can be pretty good, too. I'm giving the early nod to the NFC.

The NFC East is 10-1 against teams outside the division. The only loss was Philly choking away a game to the Bears 24-20 on a goal-line stand. The two previous NFC East teams to face the Rams - Washington's opponent Sunday - did so in romps (Philly beat them, 38-3, in Week 1, and the Giants delivered a 41-13 beating).

In the 10 NFC East victories outside the division, the NFC East scored at least 24 points in nine of them (Philly's 15-6 win over Pittsburgh is the exception). Now, a skeptic might say that NFC East teams haven't faced many stern tests outside the division (playing the AFC North and NFC West in the divisional alignment this year certainly helps), but Dallas did handle Green Bay, and we noted the Philly win over Pittsburgh.

It's looked all along like three teams from this division would reach the playoffs - the looming question being, which three? - and through a little more than a quarter of the season I don't see any reason why that still won't be the case.

...

Randoms: We noted the close relationship between Skins rookie safety Chris Horton and James Washington, a former Skin who now hosts a nationally syndicated radio show. Well, what do you know, I turn on the radio Thursday morning and Horton is on the show yapping it up. Good to see the youngster is getting some national pub. ... Is there any trade deadline less exciting than the NFL's? With less than a week ago, there's only the sound of crickets. Maybe the Lions move a wide receiver, but that figures to be about it.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 10, 2008; 8:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Imagine: Jim Zorn and the Wildcat offense...
Next: Trap Game? Kinda, Sorta, I Guess

Comments

Daaaahhhhhhh

Posted by: peterandmeredith | October 10, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

You play the schedule you're given, that's all you can do... if it turns out that we were served a platter of cupcakes, so be it.

But lest we forget, at least part of the reason the NFC West and AFC North look like cupcakes is that they're being beaten by four NFC East teams.

Chicken, egg... cupcake.

(I'm all over the maps this morning. Good golly. Friday, Friday.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 10, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

And a long weekend at that, Nate! woo hoo!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 10, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Put any AFC team in our shoes for our first 5 games and they may have been 1-4.

Hail!

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 10, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley & Clinton Portis Hunt for Rams...

If you haven't seen this, it is hilarious.

_____________

Posted by: joeblazin | October 10, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

nate:

it's a tad early in your neck of the woods isn't it?

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | October 10, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis and CC did waaay too much V and made that video.

Posted by: Gweez | October 10, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

from last thread about Wildhog(cat) formation :

Also, I'll note that I would bet my car we'll this formation AT LEAST once this year. I'm pretty sure Zorn has already looked at it. I think it'd be a great play to pull late in a game on a 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 when you want to force the D to burn a timeout. Line up in that formation, if they don't call a timeout run the play and burn 'em!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 9:07 AM

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Only an hour earlier than in your neck of the woods, 8k!

Early to rise is usually the case for me, though I'm sad to report there's a nasty stomach virus rolling through my household... so I'm home and won't be blogging my guts out today, but hopefully won't be puking my guts out either... sorry, too much info, I know...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 10, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

nate:

it's a tad early in your neck of the woods isn't it?

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | October 10, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Everyone recognizes the importance of this game and Nate is no exception. Everyone is doing their part.

Posted by: Gweez | October 10, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see ARE and CP26 in a double wing set backs formation. I think that would throughly confuse a defense. Either could run, either could pass, numerous posibilites abound.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 10, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow Nate when we say, "Blog your guts out" we mean that figuratively.

Thanks thanks I'll be here all week. Try the pulled pork sandwich.

Posted by: Gweez | October 10, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Take the poster Gweez, no really, take him!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

You move one pubic inch and I'm gonna blow you to smithereens!

CP is crazy. Heck, they all are!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 10, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that wants to see Big Sellers get a couple touches Sunday? I wanna see him run over some loser!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I would like to call Marc Bulging at his place of residence and hang up when he answers.

I would then wait exactly 5 minutes and call him back and repeat the aforementioned hanging up of the phone, precisely the EXACT, SAME, WAY....

HAIL!

Posted by: P00P | October 10, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

there's only one way you can hang up IMHO

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

While I was getting ready for work this morning,I was watching Fox 5 news and found out that Julie Wright(the traffic lady)is a Cowpuke fan(her and Tony Perkins were talking about betting on the game when they come to FedEx)Now she never admitted that she was a Cowgirl fan,but Tony is a huge Skins fan so it was obvious who she was rooting for.Now I knew about Dave Feldman being a Cowcrap fan,but never suspected the traffic lady(and I liked her too).So my question is this 1)How many other of our media folks in the DC area are reporting news to us while secretly living their lives as Cowslime fans,2)Does it make you feel a little betrayed that we have accepted these people into our homes and trust them to deliver our news all the while NOT knowing that they root for the enemy,3)Am I taking this rivalry way too serious?I for one don't think I am,I hate Dallas with a unrelentless passion.

Posted by: smittdiddy | October 10, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Now you get to enjoy her suffering after we beat them again, smitt!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 10, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering...

Has anyone listened to Colin Cowherd this week? What does he have to say about the Redskins now? He said he'll re-evaluate what he thinks of this team after their trips to Dallas and Philly.

Just curious...

Posted by: Skins1 | October 10, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Truth I too like it when the big Mike hits people.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 10, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Hello Redskins Nation.

We are very excited to have the team come home after winning two NFC East road games against the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles. HAIL!

This week we have the St. Louis Rams, and this will not be an easy game, especially if we want to maintain our growth and standing the NFC East, the NFC conference, and the league.

We are the only team in the NFL with a battle cry (Hail to the Redskins!). And now we are the only team in the NFL with a post-game celebrate chant thanks to our new Head Coach Jim Zorn (Hip-Hip Hooray!).

After beating the Dallas Cowboys, the supposedly best team in the NFL, Jim Zorn in the locker led the team in a celebration chat of Hip-Hip Hooray. It would be exciting to have the entire stadium, and the Redskins Nation, join the team in the celebration chant before they head to the locker room.

My brother and I are organizing the first Hip-Hip Hooray celebration chant this Sunday after our team beats the St. Louis Rams at the stadium. If it is clear at the 2:00 minute warning of the 4th quarter that the Washington Redskins will win the game we ask that all Redskins fans in the stadium (we will be at the game in Section 424---Row 12---Seats 7, 8 & 9) to join us in a celebration chant of Hip-Hip Hooray!

If it is not clear by the 2:00 minute warning of the 4th quarter that we will win the game then we will start the chant 30 seconds later at 1:30 minute mark. If not then, then 30 second later at the 1:00 minute mark. If not then, then 30 seconds later at the 30 second mark.

You get the pattern. At some point at the 2:00 minute warning of the 4th quarter or after we want to do the chant if it is clear we will win the game. We do not want to do the chant before the 2:00 minute warning of the 4th quarter!

To make it easy for everyone to participate for the first time we asking that the entire stadium join together in the Hip-Hip Hooray chant in unison. And yes brings to celebrate.

If we are successful in getting fans to join in after the game this week, then we will organize the second chant with sections of the stadium doing the call (Hip-Hip) and the other sections doing the response (Hooray!).

We hope this celebration chant will become a tradition for Redskins fans attending the game after each victory.

Please join us this Sunday for a big Hip-Hip Hooray, after we win the game.

Thanks,

Derek Silver and Marvin Silver
Washington Redskins Fans 4 Life

PS, Check us out on Facebook at Hip-Hip Hooray (Washington Redskin's Coach Jim Zorn's Celebration Cry) and help Spread the Word. silver_marvinm@msn.com

Posted by: silvermarvin | October 10, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, I just got invited to go to the game on Sunday, it should be awesome. I am going to stay with a friend in Burke, VA and then go on Sunday to tailgate before the game. Any advice on how early we should leave to make it to FedEx with plenty of time to tailgate?

Posted by: mgm2rr | October 10, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

silvermarvin - stop trying so hard. if it happens it'll happen.

furthermore, how exactly do you plan on starting a hip-hip hooray cheer in a stadium of 90,000? that's just stupid.

it's just going to sound like a big mess.

Posted by: jstew06 | October 10, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse