Because You Asked For It

Some have been asking about the details on the Lloyd contract, in the event the Skins wanted to whack him after one season.

First of all, I don't think that is remotely going to happen, and given the hit they'll take on Arch Deluxe, they'll have to limit the purging to one major dead-money situation. There will be the usual round of restructurings to create more cap space overall (the Class of 2004 all are scheduled to start getting massive base salaries starting in '07, which means some guys will have to re-do their deal to stay). Thus, taking two $9 million hits - whether spread over one year or two - is a lot to swallow.

So, according to my contact guys, Lloyd's deal is structured just like Arch's. If they don't excercise his option in March, the base salaries become guaranteed and effectively equal the additional $5 million option bonus.

They could take a $9 million hit all at once - offset by whatever bonus the player would get elsewhere - and spread it over two years at around $1.5 in 2007 and $7.5 in 2008. No easy way around it.

Also, for those wondering about JC's contract and any escalators now that he's starting. He got $4.97 million to sign, and has a base salary of $372,500 this season. He is set to make $635,500 next season and that will be his '07 salary given that Campbell will essentially be unable to meet any of the triggers in his deal.

He could greatly enhance his salary by doing one of three things -

Taking 60 percent of the team's snaps

Making the Pro Bowl

Placing in the Top 5 in the NFL in various major QB categories

Again, that's not going to happen this season, but there is a good chance he begins tapping into much greater earning potential starting next season.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 7, 2006; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice? We're Talking About Practice?
Next: Award Time

Comments

What about Springs' contract?

He's set to be the 2nd highest paid player on the team next year, when his salary goes from 750,000 to just under 5 million. With his around 2.5 mil a year signing bonus, that means he'll cost the team around 7.5 million in cap space next year.

As far as I can tell, 7.5 million is about how much we'd pay in dead space if we cut him (without knowing anything else about his salary). Frankly I wonder whether the team can afford to pay him 5 million in 2007, 5 in 2008, and 6 in 2009 to a guy who doesn't play due to injury. Remember that Springs hasn't played 16 games since 2000 and is not getting any younger.

If we have doubts about whether Springs can consistently contribute to a team, wouldn't it make sense to cut him now rather than later? If we keep him for the next three years it will cost us 16 million in salary cap space *alone* + the 7.5 million in guaranteed salaries we'll have to pay him. If we cut him we only lose the 7.5 million (which we have to pay eventually anyways) which is the same amount we'd pay him to play.

Am I way off base on this? Wouldn't this be precisely the kind of prudent, forward thinking move this franchise needs? Keeping him around smells like the "win now or else" mentality that's gotten us exactly 4 wins thus far.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | December 7, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Banging my head on the desk. You got to be joking me. Who comes up with this stuff? If we got to take a hit it has to be Arch Mr. Bench Warmer.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The real question is will they still have enough room under the cap next year to sign Lil Jon? Could they also add Master P, since he's "bout it, bout it"?

Posted by: Lance Uppercut | December 7, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Skin Patrol base on JLC statements above. It would appear that Springs would be one of those that would have to restructure his contract.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is mind-boggling. Every few years the FO puts a loaded gun next to their head and spins the chamber. "Wheeee, this is fun!"

Cick or Bang? Your pick.

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Reason #1001 why we need a GM

Posted by: calebt17 | December 7, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dear Jason,

With the playoffs obviously out of reach, why doesn't Greg Williams play Archulta at safety these last 4 games to see if he makes any improvements? What is the worst that can happen? We are already losing games, and at least if he plays we'll see if he can rebound and be a solid contributor next year. Taking a 9 million dollar cap hit should only be done if absolutely necessary.
I am a bit Shawn Springs fan, but I don't know that he is worth what we are scheduled to pay him. Any chance he will re-do his deal to stay for less? Otherwise, we may have to cut him and try and sign Nate Clements or Asante Samuel.
Signing Lloyd has been a major bust thus far. He doesn't really complement Moss and is a headcase. Any chance we go out and find a tall possession reciever with sure hands? If not, what about James Trash getting more opportunities since he has proven to be a clutch guy. Also, why isan't McIntosh playing on defense at all? Wouldn't it be wise for him to get his feet wet a little now as opposed to next September?

Posted by: Brian | December 7, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys... he and Archuleta's contracts make perfect sense....

We give a guy who can't cover the highest contract in the history of his position, and a malcontent rapper a #1 receiver contract, only to throw away valuable "core Redskins" in the process... yeah, yeah... that's it. It's all making sense now.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT CHICKKKKKKKEN!!!!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Another reason why I say it's time for double G to go. Hell with your system and the guy knowing your system. Put him in and see if he can play or if he is another blown draft pick. But to let him just sit there with playoffs out of hand. Just show how much he needs to go!

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Jason, has anyone asked Coach Williams or Gibbs if Arch Deluxe is in fact going to be cut. It seems obvious to me he will be, and you certainly seem to think so, but has anyone at Redskins Park said anything on the matter, even a denial?

Posted by: Jake | December 7, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Do not count on Springs costing nearly that much in Cap money. They will just restructure his contract.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | December 7, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

McIntosh not playing right now is a flat out joke. For what we gave up to draft him, and where we drafted him, he should be starting on a 4-8 team playing for the future.

But hey, "he's doing well on TEAMS up here", so it's all good, right???? RIGHT????????

Walking to roof of building....

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Springs isn't worth the cap number which is why I cut him in Madden. Also, the fact that he could be cut is another reason why I still think he's 'Deep Cover' or whatever we decided the name was. What does he have to lose?

I also doubt we'll cut Lloyd. He's 25 and acting like a knucklehead because he's 25 and a knucklehead. Joe had his sit-down with him. You can't tell me Gibbs can deal with Riggins and Manley and not Lloyd. The dude has skills which we could use if everyone ever ends up on the same page.

And that's why Saunders will be back next year. Continuity. The offense should look a lot better after another year in the system and Campbell with some actual reps. However, since the O-line only seems to play smash-mouth football correctly, the system needs to be tweaked. The cute stuff is nice every once in a while (used to love the flea-flickers when Gibbs called them), but end arounds and reverses don't need to be used every game. You want Randle El involved? Throw the man a pass. And it's not smart to give Duckett the ball on a sweep. Pound the ball and the O-Line will be happy, Gibbs will be happy, Portis will be happy and we will be happy because we'll win.

And now my tangents are finished. What were we talking about again?

Posted by: Posse Redux | December 7, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

What if they made Archubingus a coach? There's no salary cap on coaches.

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 7, 2006 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ditto on the part about getting both Archuloser and Rocky Mac on the field. If not now, when? Its perfect game time experience. I called a buddy in Cleveland to find out whether Charlie Frye is right handed or left (I have this huge monkey who rides my back and makes me have to bet on a ludicrously close and stupid game, like the Texans/Titans ... no spread). My Cleveland friend told me that Browns-Steelers game is supposed to be like preseason -- for the scrubs. Big Ben is sitting. Frye is out. Hines Ward and Polamalu, out. Droughns, out.

If the game really does not matter, why NOT get some game time/game speed experience for someone like Rocky MacIntosh?

Posted by: dcsween | December 7, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: etrod | December 7, 2006 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I understood why some of the guys were willing to restructure last off-season (before the CBA was approved), but I just don't see it this year.

Last year they were coming off a 10-6 season and were a game away from the NFC Championship Game. They also didn't overpay for a bunch of players during Free Agency...

Now, we are on a losing team with controversy swirling around it. We have dumped core guys for over-paid veterans who haven't done squat. Unless EVERYONE comes forward willing to restructure, I just don't see our guys being as willing... especially on a team with no direction and team that has the history of treating its players like garbage.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

For all you asking why McIntosh and Bingus aren't playing? Hubris at first and now just pride. It's the same thing that brought Gregg Williams to speak about himself in the 3rd person before the season starts.

This summer I was driving in my car listening to an interview of Grilliams. Here were his answers.

"Gregg Williams didn't leave because he's happy here."

"Gregg Williams isn't interested in being a head coach just to be one. Gregg Williams wants to find the right spot. Right now Gregg Williams is very happy where he is at in Washington."

I almost ran off the road. I got out my cell phone and called a friend and said man what an egomaniac. He can never be our HC. Coaches need to contain egos in players not have the largest one on the team.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

etrod lol

Once again people. It's double G and his ego. His ego (in his mind) comes before what's best for the team. Give him the foot man! Arch, not playing Rock, and the number of people he let go. He is not going to change and continue to let people go thinking his system is better than the players. Let him go now before we lose the Reaper.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Each week," says Campbell, "I'm playing against a tough defense and it's not going to get any easier. You have to continue to keep learning and one thing I learned last week is the difference between throwing the ball away and taking a sack. Sometimes you just have to take it to keep your team in a good position."

That's what I wanted to hear from the kid.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If we lose the Reaper... I don't even know what I'll do! Won't be good for anyone though, I know that much.

Posted by: Posse Redux | December 7, 2006 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs will have to renegotiate or he will be released. There's no doubt that he's Deep Cover (read previous interviews and quotes and the dialogue is identical, plus throw in the magic hamstring and the deal is sealed) and that will haunt him in the contract process. Look for him to come back at a much cheaper rate...And suck next year.

Posted by: etrod | December 7, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posse Redux if double G is still here I can see him saying we can replace the Reaper. It's my system and we can plug somone else in there.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Looking back, maybe the one good thing this team did amidst all the terrible execution worthy things, was get Campbell... yes, it's too early to tell, but I like what I see from the kid... minus the "you know's", you know?

Ah, forget it... I'll bet you a million that Gibby gives MB the chance to be teh starter next year... and if not him, he'll have another super smart veteran in here to compete UP HERE... it's a LOCK.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If the Reaper was released i would go into the building at Redskins Park and run past the receptionist hang a right and just start swinging violently at everyone i could find yelling "Why god why!!!!"

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby you been negative all day. Where is SallieMae when you need her? I think she needs to give you a blog hug. lol

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:55 PM | Report abuse

How do you think the Reaper would look in a Giants uniform? Tiki's leaving so #21 will be available.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Posted by: etrod | December 7, 2006 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Skinz out of control brother. I had to share that one with co workers. We are all rolling (chris tucker voice in Friday's)

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How bout this. The team moves "The Reaper" to defensive end? They than move Joe Salave'a to safety, put ArchDeluxe in at linebacker, make Todd Yoder the fullback. Those good moves?

Posted by: mr. poo | December 7, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Springs is Deep Throat cause he SUCKS.

Reaper stays or I buy my first piece of purple clothing EVER.

It's been discussed before, but if we blow the cap is the punishment really draft picks? For this team that's like saying:

Alright, I'm going to put the keys in the Bentley and park it right here, and if you steal it, I'm going to get you real drunk and hire you the best escort I can find? Okay? So don't do it.

I can see the convo now:

DS-"GOSH! I hate draft day. I just want to cut more trees down in the backyard!"

VC-"I know, me too, but we have to go or they'll get mad!"

DS-"Why? What happens if we don't have any draft picks?"

VC-"Well, we can't trade anymore away cause our team is perfect, buuut..." LIGHT BULB!

sweet,

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | December 7, 2006 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Pierce, Arrington, AND Taylor on defense for Big Blue????? OH what a glorious day that will be for us all...

I just don't see how we'll ever be able to seriously negotiate with our existing or free agent players EVER again.

Existing players see guys like Arch and Lloyd getting all this upfront money, so they probably think, why shouldn't I hold out for a deal like that? Especially if you're Taylor and your secondary-mate (Arch) has the contract he does. I mean, put yourself in a comparable situation. Who doesn't sit at work and say "damn, I do more work than that guy and he gets paid twice what I do..."

As far as free agents go, we all know how that works. Everyone in the league comes here to get paid, not win. Every other free agent uses the Skins as a bargaining tool with other teams, essentially driving up their price.

We have to change this trend.... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't let Gardner, Rod take the Bentley or it's coming back without wheels or the escort...

I'm tripping out on the "trees" convo too! Classic!

Posted by: Posse Redux | December 7, 2006 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey hey I'm here to say, the Skins stink in a major way
Gibbs is old, his hair is gray
The Cowboys rule every Sunday
Adam Arch is overrated
T.O. is motivated
Gregg Williams is a selfish fool
Roy Williams is real cool
Tony Romo is the man
Joe Bugel spends all his time, in the can
Jerry Jones is like a god
Danny boy is just a clod
FedEx Field is never packed
Mark Brunell likes to get sacked
Dalls is better than DC
Cowboys fans are filled with glee

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Out of ALL of the FA's the Skins got the only one I think still has a future here is Carter. Quality d-linemen are hard to find and I still think he can snap out of his funk. He finally showing some signs of life.

What I don't undertand is all of the money they are paying to the receivers. Moss is legit, but Lloyd and Randle El are both busts to me and they get paid some serious bucks.

Saying this, Lloyd is still a kid and a knuckle-head so I don't see the skins cutting him just yet. Maybe if he stinks it up after next year.

They gotta save face, they can't cut both him and Archusucksa.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 7, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who you are mister just go back to Dallas
and have sex with your sister

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Springs will have to take a salary cut, because he's getting older and is often injured. But he still can play when healthy and with a pay cut he could provide us with at least a quality corner in the nickel package (bye-bye Kenny Wright), or at worst another season as starting CB. We all want a Nate Clements, but we also know that tons of money will be thrown at him and the odds are that he won't be the same player here as he is in Buffalo (see Trotter, Alvin Harper, Dana Stubblefield, and the rest of the endless list).
As for Lloyd, bang on that if Gibbs could handle Riggins, Dexter, Tony Peters and Jumpy Geathers than he can handle Lloyd. Problem is, he shouldn't have signed this underachieving malcontent in the first place for two draft picks (and a contract extension with hefty salary increase!).
Also, if Saunders wants to get the ball in Randle El's hands then why not use him as QB on occasion down near the goal line. Sounds crazy, but the Jets do it well with Brad Smith. ARE can run, throw and catch, why not occasionally tap into those talents and give a defense a little something extra to think about if you want to be so creative? Food for thought.

Posted by: CTSkinzfan | December 7, 2006 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Why not try ArchDeluxe as a nickel linebacker? He obviously can't cover a wideout, but might match up with a TE. He's had some success against the run as well.

Posted by: Skinny | December 7, 2006 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I have to be careful on this since there are some folks up here who have proven sensitive to my joking criticism (laughing through my tears) of Brunell. But Ricky Bobby got me thinking about the QB spot.

Brunell should not have a chance to compete for the starting position, as Ricky B is willing to bet. He is a nice guy, but he is done.

I hope the coaches in their play calling, and the O line in their blocking, give Soupy a chance to progress the rest of this season. As others have noted, he was totally hung out to dry last week against ATL when he built that 14-0 lead and suddenly decided to air it out, apparently in order to let our D spend more quality time on the field with BBV.

Given what we've seen so far from Soupy, my feeling TODAY is that he should be the clear and documented #1 QB going into the offseason. (Final judgment pending performance in remaining games.)

Whether it's Gibbs or Saunders calling the plays next year, Soupy should be the one under center executing those plays. And prior to that he should spend the entire offseason as the #1, taking every snap in practice and getting the full attention of the coaching staff so he has a fair chance to prepare and develop.

Competition is healthy, but a full-blown QB controversy is not on my wish list for the offseason. Goodness knows the FO will be providing more than enough grist for the blogmill. Again, let's give Soupy a chance to succeed.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby, you posted my actual thoughts as I would have posted them. Weird.

We are the greatest team ever at signing players to crippling deals for our franchise. That's something right? We do the best bad deals anywhere...we're the knicks of the NFL.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | December 7, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Several items.......

1) Has Rumph "played" his way out of the "rotation"?

2) I agree, just let Archuleta play these final 4 games and see what happens...it can't get any worse

3) jm220 - While I find SallieMae entertaining, she is no Jane Doe. SallieMae is more of, ummm, competition, jm220....get my drift?

Posted by: Jane Doe | December 7, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Cleaning water off my computer again. LMAO yes I get what you saying Jane. You know you are the one. lol

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Dude, she's talking in the 3rd person! She could be Gregg Williams!

Posted by: Posse Redux | December 7, 2006 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Skinny,

Because trying to adjust and put Archuleta in a position where he could succeed would make too much sense....

AMTTS,

I just can't believe they haven't figured it out yet... the part that really scares me is that when Gibbs is up there at his pressers and says things like "we believe in what we're doing"... NOW some people think he's talking about sticking to the run, and he might be... but I also think he's talking about their philosophy of dumping draft picks for higher priced "proven" veterans through free agency... I honestly think he will never shake that mentality and it makes me sick. Doesn't he see what NE and company have been able to do????

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think that Danny Snyder is bidding on PS3s on Ebay. Someone just ganked the PS3 I was about to buy for a ridiculous amount of money.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I also need to say that if Ladell Betts gets more than 4-5 mill upfront, I will go on a hunger strike. I love Ladell, and I love Clinton, but we all know that RB's are a dime a dozen. You can find them anywhere. If Ladell wants more than that, as a back-up, let him go and draft a back-up in the 2nd round... errrrr... wait a minute.... did I say 2nd round... okay, 3rd... damnit... I mean 4th... wrong again, folks.

LOVE THAT CHICKEN FROM POPPPPPPPPPEYES!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Just letting you know I'm reading this now instead of cramming for a grad final tonight. That and watching UHF. SUPPLIES!!!

at this point, I just need to hear 3 words

ATTACK YOU IDIOT!

At this point, screw the p-word and petty squabbles, see who can play and get ready for next year. At least were not whining about who should be the QB. Where you at Todd Collins?

Posted by: Dorf | December 7, 2006 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the very best thing the FO can do this offseason is... as little as possible.

My prescription: Quietly reworking or extending contracts of the players who we want to stick around for a long time, those we all acknowledge are core Redskins. As gently as possible, releasing people who don't fit. No major coaching staff changes. No trading away draft picks as if they are worthless. No slam-dunk, boo-yeah FA signings that break the bank. No QB controversy. No Redskins One sightings.

In short, no headlines, no circus.

Keep the good players here, give them an offseason of continuity with the coaches, bring in key role players and, oh, one or two draft picks to supplement them and bolster the depth. It will drive Danny Boy crazy not to have the spotlight glaring on him from March through July. But I think it's what the team needs.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 3:39 PM | Report abuse

No mention of Todd Collins please. He is not the answer........

Posted by: 4th | December 7, 2006 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins may not be the answer, but I assure you that some evenings, a Tom Collins is totally the right answer.

Maybe we should sign Don Julio and Jack Daniels to the practice squad. I've got Johnnie Walker and Dom Perignon on my fantasy team.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 7, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Nate, couldn't agree more... applause, applause.

But you and I both know that isn't going to happen.

It would be like releasing the BTK Killer from prison because you think he's finally been rehabilitated...

I honestly think it's a mindset (the one I shared early about thinking that the draft is meaningless and high priced FA vets are the way to go) that both Gibbs and Snyder share... and again, it makes me sick to my stomach and makes me want to reach for my purple camo pants and head to Dundalk for dem Ravens, hon!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Goodness knows the FO will be providing more than enough grist for the blogmill

Yup, throw them right into the bright, spinning blades so that they spray fleshy, pink and red chunks every which way over the website.

Yum, must be almost dinner time.

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So what redskin is having a good season? Rock maybe? anyone else? Shawn Taylor/Washington Maybe? Everyone wants to put blame everywhere when people are losing, but nobody is having a decent year I dont think. No receiver is in the top 50 i'd guess

Posted by: capfan55 | December 7, 2006 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So many have gotten close to the point. The real issue is being so close to cap means you are handcuffed in making effective personnel moves. Getting rid of Arch ripples through a dozen other contract situations. Add a few more guys who are pissed off because Danny hasnt thrown outrageous coin to them. Think Sean Taylor wants his contract redone with Arch-plus money? Parcells cut Vanderheadcase without having 5 other contracts enter the decision. Being close to the cap means straighforward moves to help the team are no longer available. And that is the real issue. The Skins need to get cap space back to make better decisions.

Posted by: AL | December 7, 2006 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It's funny I'm trying to think of bargains on our team. I'm thinking Goldsten. I can't think of anyone else. I mean I'm sure we have good deals with Sellers and Rock but Betts is still being paid on a 2nd round contract, Reaper while underpaid is being paid like a top 10 pick.

It's depressing.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright, Marcus Washington, Kedric Golston, Chris Cooley?

Pretty slim pickin's for that Touchdown Club award next season. Maybe they ought to give it a pass and award two in the summer of 2008.

Look back on our summer. Perfect weather here in Seattle, a season of promise ahead for our beloved 'Skins, a new blog and opportunity to waste my employer's time and bandwidth. A summer pregnant with possibiliy.

Followed by one heck of an abortion of a fall and winter.

I promise to never, ever get excited about this team again. Until June, at least.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 7, 2006 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, forgot Mike Sellers, too.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 7, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Everybody is so set of Arculetta being gone after this season. If it was last season, when the defense was still dominant and Grillaims was the man, I would agree.

I still think that there could be a wildcard in this. What if Grilliams is fired and the new DC loves Archuletta?

Not saying that is a lock, but also something to consider.

Posted by: BT | December 7, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Purple Camo, I'm never going to be a Ravens fan, and it would be mildly nauseating if they somehow managed to earn the Lombardi trophy this Feb, hon, but the silver lining on that purple cloud would be that the Cowgirls did NOT win it. Which (DAL SB appearance, SB win) I'm fearing more every week.

Megskin, that was good imagery. Way to run with it. It occurs to me that my prior two posts were contradictory. More than enough grist for the blogmill is what I EXPECT (nay, fear) from the front office this offseason, and the subsequent post was what I'd prefer but do not of course expect.

May the football gods have mercy on our fan souls.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Skinz - actually, Taylor's contract is not as lucrative as you would think for a #5 pick. If i remember correctly, he had a lot of incentives tied to his contracts that he is not acheiving.

Posted by: BT | December 7, 2006 3:54 PM | Report abuse

jd;akldjf;ladjkf;ajd;lkfj;adk ;aklsdjf ;alsdjf;ajsdf;aljkd f;klasdjf;klajdf;ladf;jadfl; ja; fa; j;asdjf

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

NO Klinsi I should have bet you after the wc he wasnt gonna be the coach..

Better call Jimmy Clayborne...gates knows him well...

Posted by: Big J | December 7, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody seen any of Briana Banks movies....wow, can she act or what?

Posted by: Bangbros | December 7, 2006 3:57 PM | Report abuse

yeah, Taylor wanted to re-do his deal after the first friggin year he got screwed so bad... but he quieted down after all the off-the-field issues he had....

I don't see him keeping quiet much longer, especially if he remains a good boy with the law.

Nate, I will never be a Ravens fan either... but it's sad because they clearly know how to run an organization and we clearly do NOT.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:57 PM | Report abuse

PG,

Is that you under bangbros? hysterical whoever it is.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

nope...the one and only

Posted by: Bangbros | December 7, 2006 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Being a Redskin fan is like being in a bad relationship. Every year, they (Skins' Organization) promise they have changed and they have seen the errors of their ways. Heck, they buy us flowers and gifts (free agents and coaches) and we running back like a school girl. Then comes September, then comes the cheating (high ticket prices for a sub par product) and the lying (Promises of Superbowl for a 4-8 record).

Enough of the empty promises. I say we change our number and ignore their calls this off-season. Its time to fight back the only way Snyder understands $$$$$. Save your money and stop shelling out the ridicules ticket prices for an utterly horrendous product. If all Snyder sees are empty sits at FedEx field maybe he'll get a football person to save this franchise.

Redskin fans are like little kid (Myself included); we are too trusting and get easily distracted by shimmering new toys (Free Agents). Once Snyder sends his private jet to pick up free agents, we start shelling out the dough and start making hotel reservations for the Superbowl. I'll actually blame the fans for half of the Redskins' problems. The Skins' have not earned our loyalty because they have not kept their end of the bargain, so why do we keep supporting a horrible team? If Snyder has to work hard to sell out FedEx field, he'll be forced to put a great product on the field.

Trust me when I say it is going to get much worse next season if this team continuous down this self destructive path. It pains me to no end the way this team has been performing for the past 12 years and there seem to be no end in sight. IT'S TIME TO SPEAK SNYDER'S ONLY DIALECT - MONEY!!!

Posted by: King Kong | December 7, 2006 4:03 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!! they're signing betts? for what? so he can spend another year on the bench with an injury next year? *TAKING MY EYES OUT WITH A FORK* i can't watch this team anymore and its' personell decisions.

they let pierce go, A STARTER who led the team, a top 5 defense, they let a STARTING cover corner go...

they're going to pay betts starter money or some crazy shti money because???????????????? he's playing like an average backup? the guy hasn't been healthy for a whole season ever since he's been here.

well at least the nfl doesn't allow draft picks as part of a comenspatory package to players' agents. phew!!!

i'm assuming ya'll read mike's article today? BOLD IT, PRINT IT, FRAME IT, PUT A BIG A$S exclamation mark on it, and send it to redskins park(my pinky got tired of holding the shift key, and i don't like caps lock). F-this team! until they do exactly what mikey and everyone in the f-ing nfl is saying...

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby -

When you get a free second, check out the VIPcrew and see how they handle their business.

Posted by: Bangbros | December 7, 2006 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Bang,

Been there... but I wouldn't put it above "WORLD FAMOUS".... too much variety.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz Oh What A Relief It Is.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 4:18 PM | Report abuse

King Kong,

Tremendous post... and I think we all know it. But too many people on here, including myself, just can't keep our hand out of the cookie jar no matter how many times we get caught. Redskin football is addictive to people in this area... Snyder knows it, and he'll continue to reap the benefits of it because we just can't say "no".

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The King Kong remake has to be one of the worst movies ever!!!! Go 'Boys!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Klinsmann has taken his name out of consideration for US job.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Top Ten Burnin' Skins Questions

10) Will Dan Snyder hire a GM?
9) Will Al Saunders quit?
8) What picks do the Skins' have this year?
7) Is David Patten "tankin" it so he can look to get out after this season? That's got to be the longest hammie injury in history!
6)Does Gibbs regret handing over the play callin'
5) Yeah..Walt Harris is ballin' but why do we have to make Ryan Clark into Ronnie Lott?
4)Is it me or does Brian Mitchell have an ax to grind?
3) When does Portis' deal come up?
2) Has the game passed Joe Gibbs by?
1) What has been the top 3 Redskins screw-ups in Joe Gibbs tenure?

Posted by: Rich | December 7, 2006 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Klinsmann has taken his name out of consideration for US job.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 04:27 PM

Who gives a SH!T

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

ANswer to #1

1. Not ReSigning Pierce
2. Getting too Friendly with Denver
3. Doing more than Coaching (President/GM/CEO)

Posted by: 4th | December 7, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Well good question nameless. I do. That is all you need to know. Now you are dismissed. Probably a Dallas fan anyway.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Who is Klinsmann? Is this redskin/football related?

Posted by: 4th | December 7, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 04:34 PM

not a dallas fan, just don't give a sh!t.

Posted by: elem | December 7, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Top Ten Burnin' Skins Questions

10) Will Dan Snyder hire a GM?

no, Snyder and Gibbs believe that we they are doing is right.

9) Will Al Saunders quit?

no, he makes head coach money to call plays.

8) What picks do the Skins' have this year?

1st (possible swap with Denver), 5th, 6th, 7th

I can't believe our number 5 receiver has a 13 million deal with something like 4-5 million up front. That's #2 receiver money!

6)Does Gibbs regret handing over the play callin'

probably, but he'll try to make it work with Al

I don't think anyone has compared Clark to Lott... but he was a very valuable and a very liked person on this team. He also was cheap and took Sean Taylor under his wing. Sometimes you just can't replace some of the intangibles this guy offered, and the cap space we would have saved by keeping him over Archuleta, would have allowed us to sign depth at key areas, like Corner.

4)Is it me or does Brian Mitchell have an ax to grind?

I love B Mitch on the radio, but yes, I think he's bitter the way things ended with him and the Redskins. What's sad is that more and more ex players seem to feel this way about their former team since Snyder took over.

3) When does Portis' deal come up?

I think Portis got a 7 year deal in 04, so he should have 4 more years... no worries there.

2) Has the game passed Joe Gibbs by?

one word answer: YES

1) What has been the top 3 Redskins screw-ups in Joe Gibbs tenure?

1. turning over the play calling to Saunders

2. buying into the belief that you build through high priced free agents and ridiculous trades instead of building through the draft and resigning your own "core guys"

3. he doesn't know how to handle the personalities of today's players

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It'll be more fun to have a national coach called Pekerman anyway.

Posted by: SMACK | December 7, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy, those guys you mentioned (Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, Dom), I remember when they all came to my 21st birthday night out. They brought some other buddies, Ron Rico and Jim Beam. I remember they all left in a hurry ... down a sink ... just as it was getting dark. Not surprisingly, I felt top of my game the next day.

Though I think its a bad idea, I see it happening that way again with the Skins this year. All the old pals end up down a sink. A bright sunny day the next morning (after the FA binge and draft). Nobody has any money left. But another part of me sees that some hangovers are inescapable. I think this dead cap thing is going to have to come home to rest one day, kind of like deficit spending (maybe one day the Chinese will own the Skins too).

I digress. In addition to Washington, Rock, Sellers, Golsten, I think there are some other players who have played well this year. Dockery and Thomas seem to be doing well, or at least, have been invisible in terms of offsides penalties. I don't think this has been a particularly good year for the Reaper or Cooley. I think both had better years last year. Also, considering he is now starting and had 2 good games out of 3, I think Jason Campbell has had a good year. Frost, at least since after the first few games has played better than last year (thought probably not yet a "good" year). On PR, ARE has had a good year (less so at WR). Thrash has been solid (as good as previous years). Betts, at least numbers-wise, is having a good year (though he has not had #1 RB numbers). All in all, the 'good year' category remains slim. Maybe 'good games' is a better way to think about having a glass half full.

Above, mr. poo moves some players around (Reaper to DE, AA to nickel LB -- whatever that is, and Big Joe to Safety). That last one is hilarious! The guy only has to move about 1.5 to 2 yards max per play. The image of him as a safety is about as pretty as the image of him in a thong. Some images are just too nasty to think about (if you have that one in your head, good luck washing it out).

Posted by: dcsween | December 7, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Good to know Elem. Thanks for sharing. You know what they say about opinions right?

Klinsmann is a soccer manager that JLa posted may become the manager of the US team. I figure if JLa posts about it then it's relevant to the blog.

or as Eddy Murphy once said,

"If his momma called him Cassius, Ima call him Cassius."

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 04:45 PM

you figured wrong.

Posted by: elem | December 7, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the inevitable, daily, "I've got to make sure that everyone remembers that I'm a complete a-hole post" by a Dallas fan.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | December 7, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Where is JLa that guys been slacking off? We need injury updates.

Posted by: Skinz | December 7, 2006 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Jeez RB, busy day? Way to hold it down...buses are crashing everywhere. BTW, are you talking porn and you referenced the BTK killer??? wow. I assume you'll be the guy in the holocaust cloak out front of the theatre pre-acopalypto too.

King Kong - true dat. Unfortunately, to really fight you're talking Rosa Parks boycott. I mean, not listening to radio, not watching the skins on TV, letters to the NFL saying not to put them on TV, etc. Essentially, turning them into the Browns. Hard to do. Hopefully, when he has about 7 empty suites (big $) and 10000 empty seats every week next year, the point will be made and I can still enjoy 5 victories a season until JC turns Tom Brady on these mo-fo's.

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | December 7, 2006 5:08 PM | Report abuse

all you goobers should be blaming snyder for allowing a crap coach whos living off reputation to run his team!!gibbs makes ALL decisions and he REALLY SUCKSSSSS!

Posted by: ed uppercut | December 7, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Super strong day up here, across the board. J-La laid down terrific work to get us geared up, and everybody hit their marks all day long. And as usual it was funny enough that I'm not as utterly depressed as if all this bad news had been delivered straight.

Unable to track down a hard copy of today's WashPo here in Portland, so I've asked my dear old ma to save it for me, back home in ol' Virginny. I hope my quote was edited to make me seem cogent, pithy, hilarious and handsome. Otherwise I will holler about having been taken out of context.

The mentions of B Mitch make me think of a few things:

1. B Mitch was one of my favorite Skins players ever. He played with passion and always seemed to overachieve, and he really loved the Skins. Until the inevitably bad parting of ways, that is.

2. B Mitch almost always ran towards the coverage when he fielded a punt. Like, in such a manner as to advance the ball towards the opponent's end zone and therefore get our team closer to scoring. I believe he is now #1 all time in punt return yardage due in large part (one may safely assume) to this style of running. Randle El has tremendous gifts, but he seems to believe that starting each return by running towards our own end zone or one of the sidelines is better. I prefer the B Mitch method.

3. Since almost every bad front office decision involves others who can share some of the blame (Vinny, Joe, Pepper, etc.) almost nothing about Danny makes me angrier than something he could absolutely control: alienating guys who should enjoy lifelong relationships with the team after their playing careers. B Mitch is among the more recent, high profile examples of this. But the utmost disgrace on Danny's watch was when Bobby Mitchell's jersey number was very quietly given to some scrub in training camp a few years ago, an insult which was the last straw in the original B Mitch's severing ties with the team after 40 years of dignified service, including being the team's first African American player and going to the HOF. To my knowledge this breach has never been rectified, and this insult never been apologized for. (My apologies if I missed an update on this.) And it's the perfect example of how little class Danny has, letting something like this happen without making the slightest gesture to make things right. Just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone,
I've been wracking my brain ever since week 5 or so on how Redskins fans can show their displeasure with the organization (other than booing) while still showing that they are invested enough to show up at the games.

There are the obvious economic boycotts, such as buying no beer, going to the game by Metro to avoid the parking fees, not shopping at the souvenir stands, sneaking in a PB&J in your pocket, etc. but really, who's going to pay much mind to that? And why rob yourself of the pleasures of the game and the tailgate? Plus, who's going to tell a Skins fan they can't drown their sorrows in a froth dog.

Then this morning the answer hit me while I was brushing my teeth. It's so simple, and so obvious, yet it's so beneath what we have come to expect of each other as Redskins fans that I think many of you will be appalled and justifiably so:

The brown paper bag treatment.

I know what you're thinking: how could any self-respecting Redskin fan sink so low as to give the Skins the brown paper bag?

Well, Wilbon said it himself - we are the Cardinals; we are the Browns for Pete's sake! And if things are truly as dire as the blogosphere claims (myself included), then it seems that there is little choice in the matter.

And I'll tell you what, the brown paper bag ALWAYS ALWAYS makes it onto Inside the NFL and the NFL films highlight reels.

You want to make a statement more profound and less crass than booing? Anyone who's going to the Eagles game head to Safeway, Magruders, Giant, SFW, even Price Chopper and find yourself a grocery sack.

Face it, you're bound to be outnumbered by Eagles fans anyway.

Of course, I say this from the comfort of old Europe with no possible chance of attending this week. And maybe I'm out of touch and the BPBT is already in high usage. If not, it should be.

Respectfully,
LWaltC

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | December 7, 2006 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby,

How soon everyone forgets what a bad season the Ravens had last year. They were not good and plenty or players (especially Ray Lewis) were complaining. Ray did not even want to return until they signed McNair.

I will simply die if Shawn Springs does not return (God, I love that man). As for Sean Taylor, they need to give him a big contract now....we just cannot lose him. I actually think Williams likes Taylor so that should be a plus.

Posted by: Lisa | December 7, 2006 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I am officially cursed. It seems every time I let fly an enormous post, I find that either a new thread has been started or, even worse, that my thoughtful, carefully crafted, insightful and informative missive follows the angry, barely coherent ravings of a troll, written in a bizarre almost-language sadly devoid of spelling, punctuation, grammar or sense. *sigh*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, while my feelings for him fall short of the lust you evince, I agree that Springs should definitely definitely be among the players brought back next year. Like it or not, his contract has to be re-worked, because he's the best CB we have by far.

There is no heir apparent on the roster, given Carlos' performance this year. And I have to guess we will be so cap-hamstrung that we won't be able to land a top CB on the market. I like Springs and think he can take care of business for at least one more season. He has to be back in '07.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 5:40 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* I suppose all bottom feeding teams have to go through this pain. Ugh imagine what the Cardinals or Raiders blogs look like.
I'm not even able to get mad anymore except at Grilliams and on game day. I'm like Belgium and the organization is like Germany. No matter I declare they're going to invade me to get to France.

I like the Brown Bag idea. Maybe I'll put one on in my living room.

*sigh*

Posted by: sfskin | December 7, 2006 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Ravens
06 = 9-3, will win division
05 = 6-10
04 = 9-7
03 = 10-6, won division
02 = 7-9
01 = 10-6, wild card
00 = 12-4, won Super Bowl

Total since 2000 = 63-45, 2 division championships, 4 total playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl

Redskins
06 = 4-8
05 = 10-6, wild card
04 = 6-10
03 = 5-11
02 = 7-9
01 = 8-8
00 = 8-8

Total since 2000 = 48-60, 1 playoff appearance

I hate them, but let me also point out that the Ravens are one of the best run teams in football... just look at their draft history.

Whose fans are happier over the last 6 years?

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Great write-up on BMitch... he was, and will always be, one of my favorite Redskins. His desire, his hard-nosed do-anything approach is something you just don't find very often anymore.

Now don't get me wrong... obviously I don't know all the details... but I, too, am still appauled by the way things ended between BMitch and this franchise.

Guess it just goes to show you, AGAIN, the kind of treatment a "core and true Redskin" gets under Dan Synder. Sad...

I'm just glad the guy came back to this community and still truly cares about this organization's success. Some people knock the guy for being critical, but his points are dead on.

Again, great write-up!

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 5:58 PM | Report abuse

With apologies to HaikuMan whose talent far exceeds mine but the song has been in my head for waaay too long and I figured I'd give it a bad rewrite.

Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on
Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on

Soupy plays QB for my favorite team
And too many people put Soupy down for being so green
Soupy I don't care, if you throw the occasional INT
Cuz you know Soupy, boy, I love it when you throw a TD

and so I say now

Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on
Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on

Soupy throw the ball downfield, ooo
Let it hang up for Moss
Soupy throw the ball downfield, boy
Throw it for a 42 yard TD toss

Come on Soupy (come on, come on)
Oh come on Soupy (come on, come on)
Oh come on Soupy (come on, come on)
Oh come on Soupy (come on, come on)

Well it feels so good (come on, come on)
You know it feels so good (come on, come on)
Well throw it, run it, shake it Soupy (come on, come on)
Throw it, run it, shake it yeah (come on, come on)

Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on
(yeah) (yeah) (yeah) (yeah)
Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on
(yeah) (yeah) (yeah) (yeah)
Hang on Soupy, Soupy hang on

Posted by: sfskin | December 7, 2006 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"A little off subject and behind the times, but I just finally saw the ladies room Grumpy Munchkin pics from the Carolina game. Worth the wait."

Etrod, you've led a trite and meaningless life. And you're a very bad person.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | December 7, 2006 6:10 PM | Report abuse

What I said was: "If his momma call him Clay. I'ma call him Clay."

Posted by: Clarence the barber | December 7, 2006 6:11 PM | Report abuse

What's up my West Coast 'Skins Fans? I see all my east coast brothern have left out. I wish I was home woth my family right about now myself.

Anyway, I hope Gibbs has learned his lessons about the off season. If not we are doomed until next decade......

Posted by: 4th Floor | December 7, 2006 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"jd;akldjf;ladjkf;ajd;lkfj;adk ;aklsdjf ;alsdjf;ajsdf;aljkdf;klasdjf;klajdf;ladf;jadfl; ja; fa; j;asdjf"

After your earlier Poet Laureate-quality entry, are we now supposed to assume that this is award-winning free verse? Or is it perhaps just the normal brain function of a Cowboys fan?

Posted by: Clint Longley | December 7, 2006 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Brunell's contract up? He should obviously restructre. Although we all openly or secretly fear he'll get another shot it's seems to me he should agree to take the veterans minimum to be third QB and smile and nod and be quiet and thank the stars JG likes him so much.

Posted by: sfskin | December 7, 2006 6:36 PM | Report abuse

sfskin,

I wish, but MB signed a 47 year deal in 2004... okay, fine... 7 year deal... but that still takes him up until he's what? 41?

I think MB knows he must restructure in order to stay, but eventually his cap hit will end up hurting a little.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we gave him an 8.3 million bonus and forfeited a 3rd round pick when he was going to be released anyway...

If you want to sign the guy, fine... but how about just letting Jax release him. You keep your 3rd rounder, then feel out what other teams wanted to pay him, which still would have been 30 mill less than what we paid him.

Unreal.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 7, 2006 6:52 PM | Report abuse

sfskin, you're right, I think others have noted that Brunell will almost surely be among the players who have to restructure or go away. As J-La noted at the top, we can expect the "usual round of restructurings" this offseason, and we can also predict a blizzard of bloggage as things unfold.

We will all find a reason to freak out about the Archubingus situation, whether he stays or goes. Same for Grilliams. We will find a few things to praise and many more to criticize. We'll brood, we'll whine, we'll leap to conclusions. Roughly half of us will predict an imminent Return to Glory and the rest of us will bemoan More of the Same.

Ricky Bobby, stay tuned, post for you next.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 6:55 PM | Report abuse

West coast still in the house!!!!

Posted by: OC Skins | December 7, 2006 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Please write why Archuleta's release is a done deal. Is he not even backup worthy? If you're going to be paying him anyway, is it really worth taking the hit in a single year rather than keeping him as a quality backup? Seriously, Vernon Fox is better than Archuleta?

Or is this a coach's decision and all about the politics? Heck, it took years of mistreatment before LaVar left *on his own*, so to speak.

Posted by: woinrstSeat | December 7, 2006 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Ricky B, off topic a bit, but I finally saw your namesake movie when it played on a flight the other day. Even in its edited form, the movie made me laugh out loud a bunch of times, which no doubt delighted my fellow passengers.

I most enjoyed, as with Anchorman, the subtle moments when Will F would kind of step outside his dumber than dumb character and comment on the dumbness itself. Some terrific little moments and dialogue buried in a pretty blah movie. Which is kind of like the Skins season so far, I guess, having to endure an uninspiring overall effort in order to catch those inspiring little moments of true goodness. Or something.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 7, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

actually think Williams likes Taylor so that should be a plus.

Lisa the bigger question is does Taylor like double G? If we are to believe one whoes name shall not be said the answer is no.

4th I still here with you baby boy. Thursday are cardio day.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 7:10 PM | Report abuse

They'll get rid of Archie so he and his situation don't become a distraction. Burying him on the depth chart isn't gonna help team morale especially when they're losing. Bringing him back to do it again next year is just plain wrong.

Posted by: Posse Redux | December 7, 2006 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey there, I agree there is no good reason not to at least look at Arch Deluxe, but with Vincent back I don't see that changing.

Yes, this will be another year of epic scrambling to re-do deals. Essentialy, they banked on being a legit team by now, even winning something, because the cap numbers of the Core of '04 - Brunell, Springs, Griff, Marcus, Clinton - pretty much go bonkers this year. They all go from making base salaries of the vet. minumum for their service time to all making several million in base salary.
Some guys may be motivated to switch it up - Brunell wouldn't have too many other options - and some might be willing to test the waters, get cut and get another bonus somwhere else.

Everyone cooperated last offseason, and there wasn't much reward. We'll see how that goes this time around.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | December 7, 2006 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I say fire double G ass! (at least it won't be a cap hit) Bring in someone that will use Arch in the right manner as well as Rock. I am sick of double G. The more I think about the players he let go, Arch, and not putting the kid in (on a team that's 4-8) the more I want to slap in the back of his damn head.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 7:17 PM | Report abuse

bugga muck?

Posted by: bugaboo lunk | December 7, 2006 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the input JLaC!

East Coast!

Posted by: 4th Floor | December 7, 2006 7:42 PM | Report abuse

thijjt itwghjhg&&00 hth hghguiouwhkhv d

ggktuppoetkgio87854h,vn,nxgkklgjgk4857 gsklgkg iot79 jtkljg u904u jtjgj09t -tujorjt --t utut ..(hgfjshgjks)

Posted by: jbthwopt | December 7, 2006 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I guess even the the Dag gone WC fans left work already, huh? Does any body from this blog work for the Gov't (Local or Federal)? If so, how can I get in. It sucks still being at work with 2 kids and wifey at home........

Posted by: 4th Floor | December 7, 2006 8:46 PM | Report abuse

4th why in God's green earth are you still at work? Man you better get home to those babies.

Posted by: jm220 | December 7, 2006 8:53 PM | Report abuse

HUH?! first tom impregnates katie...and then danny...
and now eddie murphy is the father of melanie brown/ex-spice girl???? WHAT????? i thought he was gay.

i'm so quitting.

and where's the daggone snow?!

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 8:53 PM | Report abuse

4th, i promise i didn't read your "dag gone" before i used it in my sentence...

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 8:55 PM | Report abuse

4th, it's very hard to get in the govt. unless you're coming straight out of college (less pay) or you're a contractor working for the government. all the jobs they advertise (well 98% of them) are already taken.

source of this information is a wapo chat room on federal jobs. from like 2-4 years ago. you can do a search on it "federal jobs" in wapo and i'm sure it'll pop up.

also 4th, how long is your commute?

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Brown bags, naw, Burgundy bags! And we can decorate them with little red circles over top of $nyder (as in "no Danny").
Geez, I'm gonna drink a whole darn bottle of Geritol, then beat up my Hogs plush toy and turn my 'skins action figures toward the wall. Ricky Bobby, I'll join you in Balmer for crabcakes and National Bo. Will show you my autographed Johnny Unitas card...
Kinda liked the Vikings as a kid 'cause of the purple outfits, this could work.

Posted by: ILikeSonny | December 7, 2006 9:19 PM | Report abuse

30-45 Mins via Metro/Car from Landover to Chevy Chase. I really don't want to get in the govmnt (not enough $$$), but days like this (as an accountant that's on a project (Can't speak-SEC Related) of Mega Porportions) makes me think about it.

Don't worry. *cough. cough* I think I'm coming down with a cold. *cogh, cough* So I may call in sick tomorow.

I am an entrepuneur by trade, but I need this day time gig to pay the bills. Trust me, Gina, I'm bout to Blow Uppp! *cough, cough*

I'm out. We'll carry this forward via the home floor.....

Posted by: 4th | December 7, 2006 9:22 PM | Report abuse

If no other team pursued a free agent, would Danny and Vinny negotiate against each other just to drive up the price on principle?
******************

Danny: "Well, looks like no one else really wants Lloyd and we only have 3 or 4 other quality receivers, so I think we could snap him up easy for a cool million or so. Whattya think, Vinny?"

Vinny: "First, I think that was a GRAND shot, sir. Simply marvelous, and might I add how great you look in those tight white shorts? As for Lloyd, I'd give him two million, plus double that in a signing bonus.

Danny: "Oh, you clever, clever boy. You just THINK you're sneaky, but I can see right through you...and those darling shorts....But I WILL have Lloyd because I think he'll make a great flex player...er, I mean, whattacallit, one of those slot receivers. So, 5 million, plus 3 million bonus, and send Redskins One PRONTO."

Vinny: "Sir, your iron-trap mind and ability to use technical football terms with ease never ceases to amaze me -- nice shot, sir! -- and I hate to presume to think I could get the upper hand on you here. But...and maybe I don't know what I am doing...BUT...I'd give him 8 million a year, 5 million signing bonus, and...get this...AND...if we don't want to pay the second signing bonus installment, we'll make the rest of his salary -- ALL of it -- GUARANTEED. Howboutthat?"

Danny: "I knew I kept you around for a reason...you're so cute when you think you've pulled one over on me. But I didn't become a multi-gazillionaire in several unrelated-to-football industries because I couldn't negotiate contracts that were complicated and intense and yet totally unrelated to the ability to evaluate football talent! Au contraire, ma petite bonne-bonne! I'll throw 12 milliion a year at him, 10 million signing bonus, guarantee the whole damn thing, produce his next rap album -- I'm hip like that -- AND,...wait for it...introduce him to Tom Cruise. Game, set, match, my little Vinbambino. Same time tomorrow? I've got a hankerin' to sign a truly outstanding back-up center-bend-over-and-hike-it-to-the-kicker-guy guy. Yeah, one of those....Latte?"

Posted by: Deep Thoughts by HaikuMan | December 7, 2006 9:37 PM | Report abuse

MEGSKIN, i left you a message at "my pitch to the owner" thread.

4th, do you mind me asking how old your kids are? 30-45 aint bad brother. that's what dreams are made of!

and i hear you about money but i know someone who's been in the govt. for the past 20 years earning avg. 50K/year. and now he's a pure millionaire because he worked 9 to 5 and had his own thing on the side this whole time. it's all about gogetness i guess.

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Two previous poems/songs made me branch out to dialogue....P Diddy, do I have a future in script writing?

Er P Diddy? Hello?

(Is that a no?)

Posted by: HaikuMan | December 7, 2006 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Reaching for the remote. Hit the "reset" button, there it is. Now, need to fast forward to the part where the skins start winning.

Whoa... 2007, JLA gone to ESPN, 2008, there goes half of John from Herndon's heart....2009..Gibbs retiring...No, no...can't stand more losing..years and years of losing..2010..Snyder sells team....ahhhh there it is 2011, time to enjoy.

Posted by: Click | December 7, 2006 10:10 PM | Report abuse

MEGSKIN, i left you a message at "my pitch to the owner" thread.

And responded to in same.

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 10:17 PM | Report abuse

do you have to be smart to like "studio 60"? cuz i don't get it.

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone actually watch it?

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 10:38 PM | Report abuse

watch it umm the so called "critics" and dealeress. maybe i should ask her...now how does one start this conversation?

"honey, why do you watch this crap?" umm no too direct.

"muffin, why are we watching this shti?" no, she doesn't like muffins.

"i never liked chandler, you think he's cute?" ummm too gay?

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 10:46 PM | Report abuse

nate, you suck! i heard about the "best reader comment". i wonder who else's gotten that nod. AND how many multiple "winners" there've been and who they are...

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 10:49 PM | Report abuse

hang on folks. it's going to be a very loooooooooong ride! snyder aint going nowhere. cuz he just bought another radio station:

snyder tries to knock off wtem

Posted by: dealer | December 7, 2006 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh good job $nyder, what an a$$.

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Unsurprisingly, our Lil Napolean seems to like to collect...how shall I say it?....men of a less than average stature:

Vinny....
Tom Cruise....
Mozart.....

Posted by: HaikuMan | December 7, 2006 11:17 PM | Report abuse

if no other team pursued a free agent, would Danny and Vinny negotiate against each other just to drive up the price on principle?

That piece is pure genius Haikuman, haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Love the shorts.

Posted by: Megskin | December 7, 2006 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Of course Snyder is not going anywhere....despite the cries for his demise on this blog he is pretty darn young and managed to buy the NFL Franchise of his dreams. Just be glad that he does not interfere like he used to. On second thought maybe he needs to....

Like I've said many times before, I've never liked him but I don't have a problem with him buying another radio station. Why does everyone have a problem with this? He has the $$$ so it's really not our business (unless of course one works for WTEM)

Posted by: Lisa | December 7, 2006 11:54 PM | Report abuse

[West Coast graveyard shift]

I know there will be a lot of firejoegibbs.com people out there, but the new Boz column (just posted) is just what I wanted to hear.

I remain convinced that Gibbs is the best option we have to get this franchise turned around. Yes, I wish he would reassert himself as far as play calling and relinquish control of personnel to a GM. And yes, I wish he would be a bit more specific in defining 'true' or 'core' Redskins; it would be really helpful if he were to, you know, give us a few names. But I can't doubt his sincerity and commitment, and I'm convinced he has a better chance at succeeding than anybody else.

He really wants to get the team playing consistently great football again and regularly contending for a title, and among other motivations he really does want to celebrate a SB win with the grandbabies. He wants to live up to his own legacy, and vindicate his players and his staff. And I think he wants to leave things in great shape for his successor, whoever that may be.

The reason I think Gibbs remains the best man for the job is simple: I don't think Danny would give anybody else the same chance to succeed, the same combination of (apparently) complete support and (apparently) total freedom from meddling which Gibbs enjoys. What remains to be seen is how the coach makes use of that indulgence in the wake of this difficult season.

Of course, my money's on Gibbs getting it done.

HAIL.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 8, 2006 4:08 AM | Report abuse

[West Coast graveyard shift]

I remain convinced that Gibbs is the best option we have to get this franchise turned around. Yes, I wish he would reassert himself as far as play calling and relinquish control of personnel to a GM. And yes, I wish he would be a bit more specific in defining 'true' or 'core' Redskins; it would be really helpful if he were to, you know, give us a few names. But I can't doubt his sincerity and commitment, nor the fact that he has a better chance at succeeding than anybody else.

He really wants to get the team playing consistently great football again and regularly contending for a title, and among other motivations he really does want to celebrate a SB win with the grandbabies. He wants to live up to his own legacy, and vindicate his players and his staff. And I think he wants to leave things in great shape for his successor, whoever that might be.

The reason I think Gibbs remains the best man for the job is simple: I don't think Danny would give anybody else the same chance to succeed, the same combination of (apparently) complete support and (apparently) total freedom Gibbs has enjoyed. What remains to be seen is how the coach makes use of that indulgence in the wake of this difficult season.

Of course, my money's on Gibbs getting it done.

HAIL.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 8, 2006 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, y'all. Nighty night.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 8, 2006 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Megskin!

Posted by: HaikuMan | December 8, 2006 7:11 AM | Report abuse

They should not cut any of our FA wonders. Carter, Archuletta and Lloyd are all good enough to be second or third string, let them be that and make them work/earn their way to starting. Why let them walk away with the money?? if they become locker room problems, treat them like the eagles treated TO and just tell them to stay home.
These guys egos will either adjust OR they won't see the field...thats the worst punishment for these overpaid prima donas

Posted by: jt | December 8, 2006 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Coach Joe is thinking about GM! Picking myself up off the floor. How can you not like this man? He learns from his mistake and put his ego in check (take notes double G you a**)for what is best for the team.

Posted by: jm220 | December 8, 2006 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I neva eva read Boswell. But I read him this morn, and I feel much, much better.......

But don't tell my job that, because they might want me to come in. *cough, Cough*

Posted by: 4th Floor via Home floor | December 8, 2006 9:24 AM | Report abuse

4th I step outside this morning to warm up the car and was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered that I am taking off all next week for the N.O. Mission.

Posted by: jm220 | December 8, 2006 9:36 AM | Report abuse