Bedlam On The Beach

Alright, peeps, it's officially out of control down here now. Ocean Drive is a writhing, sweaty mass of humanity. The streets are packed.

We checked out this Ocean Drive magazine event, which has packed the beaches. They are hosting Volleypalooza as we speak (Jeremy hooked us up again), a crazy tournament for models. There are 350 models from 17 agencies - bit one like Ford and Elite, Diddy - who are competing to win the title of beach volleyball champs.

But back in the VIP tent, where we were chilling with BDZ, it was like open bar. I can't imagine the volleyball will be all that competitive in another hour, because the models are getting smashed. Olympic swimmer Amanda Beard hosted a Speedo swimsuit show, that drew quite a crowd.

We're taking it easy before the parties kick in. Will probably do an Ocean Drive event early and check out their red carpet, and then head over to the Penthouse party. Should be fun. Haven't run into anyone famous yet today, but I did end up next to Andy Rooney on the shuttle bus over to South Beach again this morning. Guess he and I have the same biological clock.

Will check in again around dinnertime.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 3, 2007; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Art Monk Snubbed Again
Next: Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head

Comments

AMTTS jumped off the GW Bridge tying up traffic into No Va.

Posted by: nasty rumor | February 3, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

nasty rumor,

why don't you jump

Posted by: cosmofla | February 3, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, the GW bridge was in New York.

Posted by: Map Guy | February 3, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Maybe Andy Rooney has been staying at your hotel for the past forty years. That might explain his curmudgeonly approach to life.

Next time you are in the bar, walk up to the bird and say "Andy Rooney" and see if the bird reacts.

Posted by: J. Hanna | February 3, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The bird just says "Didja Ever Notice"?

Posted by: SMACK | February 3, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever noticed what a boob I am? I have..... it's old whiners like me that makes me never watch 60 minutes. I mean really....why do I get a segment to just whine? Could I be more boring? I don't think so, but maybe I'm just old....(pause for feux profound moment)

Posted by: Andy Rooney | February 3, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Horrors.....found this online - story on Antonio Pierce saying that Lance Briggs will sign with the Giants:

Antonio Pierce: 'If Briggs Visits, He Will Sign'
Earlier this week there were reports that Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce had begun recruiting and his sights were set on Lance Briggs. Briggs did confirm the talks but didn't really comment any further. That didn't slow down Antonio Pierce however, who said that if Briggs comes to New York for an interview he will not leave unsigned.

"If he comes in, we're going to sign him," said Pierce. "He won't leave the building without signing. The problem is just making sure we get him there because he's going to demand a lot of money and he's going to be deserving of it."

The article goes on to state:

"I'm not sure what Pierce is thinking but this can't be good for the Giants. I realize he and Briggs are friends and have played on the same team [University of Arizona] but this has to be borderline tampering. At the same time it is nice to see Pierce out there promoting and recruiting for the Giants again. Hopefully he can lure Briggs in just as he did with Lavar Arrington."

Posted by: Lisa | February 3, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

NFL Network is showing Colts/Jets from Super Bowl III. NFL Network continues to be beyond impressive. Total Access is a great show (depite Deion), America's Game is inspired, and the network's decision to re-air classic Super Bowls in their entirety is awesome. I never got a chance to see Joe Namath play in a full game, and this is just a great opportunity. I only wish you could buy these games on DVD.

Posted by: P Diddy | February 3, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cload and daggar | February 3, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think those are just the NFL Films highlight shows. Those are great, for sure, but what I want is the full game, with original network commentary.

Posted by: P Diddy | February 3, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, it mystifies me that all the pro leagues don't make DVDs of all games available for sale. As simple as it is to burn and package digital materials these days, it would be a cash cow.

I realize there are all these broadcast and sale rights for the original materials, but good grief, the footage just sitting in the can isn't making anybody any money. Seems like a no-brainer from where I sit.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 3, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

There are numerous ways for the NFL to monetize its game using the Internets. One can only hope Roger Goodell is smart enough to find them. My ideas:

- Broadcast the coach-QB headset chatter on a 1 play delay
- Let fans purchase online-hosted, multi-angle game film, just like all the teams and players study throughout the week
- Multiple-angle viewing of live games (let me be my own producer)

I'm sure there are lots more... :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | February 3, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Darrell Green should withdraw his name from consideration until Art Monk gets in.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | February 4, 2007 3:49 AM | Report abuse

"Did you ever notice" how Andy Rooney's irritating opening line is Seinfeld's funny opening line?

Posted by: dcsween | February 4, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

OK. I didn't even watch anything football related yesterday.....

W T F Happened!! What has this world come to?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Reporters would allow a base head into the HOF before they let in a class act!?!?!?!?!?!

This is what Bill Cosby is talking about.

F the Writers.
F Peter King.
F the NFL.
F Dan Snyder for not paying someone off.
F the crooked world we live in where we Idolize Rappers and Drug Dealers pay no attention to the stand-up type people.......

Posted by: 4th | February 4, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

4th,

I don't think you can blame the Monk snubbing on Peter King this time...he has stated several times in the last few weeks that he was going to vote on him.

Am I the only person worried about Lance Briggs probably going to the Giants? That will absolutely kill me. The Cowboys will get Ron Rivera either as head coach or defensive coordinator and the Giants Lance Briggs....scary.

Posted by: Lisa | February 4, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey there! On a totally unrelated topic...anyone watch the Sarah Silverman Program on Comedy Central the other night?
I keep singing "Cookie Party" and getting odd looks. And, when I'm not singing "Cookie Party," I'm singing the David Bowie song from "Extras..." Pug, pug, pug, pug.
(It's okay; I always get like this the morning of the Super Bowl when there have been no arrests.)

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, That was outta outrage.....

But still, F him...

Posted by: 4th | February 4, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Since when did Antonio Pierce have GM attached to his name. The NYG will not sink another large contract on a LB, that would be a Redskin type move. Lisa - read somewhere last week that Briggs really wants to stay in Chicago and will give the hometown discount. Philly and Dallas will be the teams to beat in the east. With no Tiki and deer in the headlights Eli, they are in about as bad of shape as we are.

Posted by: cdubb | February 4, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

OK Cyn City take a deep breath. lol

Lisa, I don't think the G men are going to get him after spending a lot of money on Levar last year.

Posted by: jm220 | February 4, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Why do we accept the fact that Sportwriters are allowed to decide for us who gets into the hall of fame. If I buy a ticket to see an NFL game and I buy the merhcandise why don't I get a vote? Besides the fact that if "we the people" voted based on a standard set of criteria that included the player's off the field activities then it would mean a lot more when a player was enshrined. That way we would not have LOSERS like Michael Irvin getting in the HOF before honorable men like Art Monk.

Posted by: Jim | February 4, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

At which dinnertime do you think Jason was planning to check back in? Maybe Carmen asked him to go bowling...

Posted by: cload and daggar | February 4, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Jason | February 4, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Since I am so desperate for Skins news, I'm finding it anywhere I can. One of the latest articles:

"They need to get a cornerback and Redskins One is already plotting a course for Buffalo or wherever Nate Clements will be at the stroke of midnight on March 1. It says here that they won't be able to get him. Sure, the Skins could clear out enough cap space to sign him to a standard, big money free agent deal. But most NFL teams have in excess of $10 million of free cap space, some have over $30 million free. It seems that everyone needs a corner and it would be very easy for a rival suitor--say, the Dallas Cowboys who are in need of a quality cornerback--to front load a deal to the point where the Skins would be extremely strapped to match it.

Before free agency starts on March 1 the scouting combine will be held in Indianapolis. The Redskins have draft picks in the first, fifth, sixth, and seventh rounds. The top pick is the sixth overall and that is where the focus of the speculation will be. Assuming that nothing unexpected transpires at the combine and/or at the University of Michigan's Pro Day, the speculation here is that the pick will the Wolverine defensive tackle Alan Branch."

Posted by: Lisa | February 4, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse