Best Guest Blog Ever (No Offense To Previous Guest Bloggers, But Trust Me On This One)

So, I was going to write a manifesto attacking Day-Late Dave Elfin for a halfhearted attempt to discredit my coverage of the Dre Blye affair - then figured he's obviously not worth the web space and I'm actually going to try to be mature for once. That's a little example of the luxury we have; so much of the stuff we get fired up about or complain about on a daily basis is complete trivial minutia, and we forget how good we really have it.

Got an email the other day from a Redskins fan deployed in Afghanistan who shared his love of the blog. It was an honor and thrill to get that message from him, and I immediately told him how much all of us would appreciate him sharing whatever experiences he felt like writing about on the blog. Our friend, who would prefer to go by the moniker Skinsand8fan, was game and with any luck he'll be checking in with us on guest blogs whenever he feels the urge.

So, let me get the heck out of here and back to making phone calls, and turn the blog over to Skinsand8fan:

NFL Sunday In Afghanistan

Hello fellow die hard Redskins fans. First of all, I want to thank JLC for giving me the opportunity to have a guest blog. I sent him an email just to thank him for bring a piece of home to me as a troop while deployed. He was nice enough to offer me this chance and there was no way that I could turn it down. Since I found his article a few months back, I check it religiously. I always look forward to seeing what he has to say considering he is there at The Park every day is seems. Let me say that he has the job that I would love to have. Other than my family, there is nothing I love more than the Washington Redskins. Being able to be an insider and following their every move would be a dream job for me. Now, let me get onto life on an NFL Sunday in Afghanistan.

For several reasons, it's pretty tough watching football while deployed to Afghanistan. First of all, the time difference is 9 ½ hours. For a 1pm Est. game, it doesn't start here until 10:30pm. I think my math is right. That really makes watching a 4pm Est. time game tough...You do the math. A night time game isn't so bad though. Secondly, having to watch the games over here, you don't always get to see the game that you want to watch. We don't get regular TV. We have to watch what is called Armed Forces Television or AFN. AFN has several channels, but only 3 of which play games. They always seem to play the most popular games or the games involving the teams with the best records. They assume that is what everyone wants to see. Now as you know, our team didn't fare very well this year and I didn't get to see many games. I got here mid-October and there were plenty of games left in the season.

I think I might have seen 2 or 3 Redskins games after arriving here. Had they made the playoffs, I would have seen all of those as they play all of the playoff games. The worst part about watching the games on AFN are the commercials. They don't play commercials from the states. They play like military information commercial and safety commercials which are so boring that we just mute them so we don't have to listen to them. I ask the question to you folks, "What is the best part about watching the Super Bowl?" ...that is unless the skins are in it......The commercials right? Well even during the SB, we didn't get to see them. We had to download them from the net at a later date which is no fun at all.

I did manage to catch a game before I left though. I was at the Jaguars game when they won in overtime...Wow, what a great game that was. Other than that, football Sundays are pretty normal. You can always find a bunch of guys huddled around the TV screaming and hollering at it.

I just had the opportunity to see the Redskins Cheerleaders here. They came over for 2 weeks and made their way around the country entertaining us troops. I was at one of the shows sitting about 3 rows back on the outside end of the row. I'm a Soldier, but my job allows me to wear civilian clothes and I had on my Redskins hat which by the way, I had signed at the Jaguars game by soon-to-be departed T.J. Duckett. Anyway, the girls came off the stage to get guys to go up and dance with them. I thought I was a lock to get there. Not too many people with their Redskins stuff you know.
Well as they came off the stage, they had to walk right by me. One of them took my hat, put it on, walked further to the back, grabbed a guy to take on stage and gave me my hat back as she took this dude up on stage. Needless to say, I was a little baffled by that. I mean, how can you take one guy's hat and then grab another guy to go up on stage? That's kind of like taking one woman on a date and then going home with another isn't it? Ha Ha.

Again, a thank you goes out to JLC and his fellow Redskins insiders for this opportunity. He has offered to let me tell about my experiences over here and I appreciate that. I hope that this blog has been as enjoyable for you to read as it was for me to write. Until next time, so long....Skinsand8fan....

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 8, 2007; 1:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Skinny On The Biggies
Next: Ross Tucker???

Comments

good job

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | March 8, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

First from Afghanistan, I believe. Outstanding, RI has gone global. Skinsand8fan, keep yourself safe over there.

Peace and Reaperness.

Posted by: etrod | March 8, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Great post. It makes our conversation about almost hitting Patrick Ramsey while driving seem really insignificant.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | March 8, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

5 TCCLs for Skinsand8fan. Stay safe.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 8, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan My prayers are with you my friend. Be safe and make it back safely.

Posted by: jm220 | March 8, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

sorta makes all the things we squabble about up here less important...

I got a brother in Iraq right now and he's bored out of his mind... too bad he doesn't like football/professional sports... I'm glad Skinsand8fan has found something to keep his mind in a good place. Peace and respect knuckles.

Posted by: Dorf | March 8, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

" ... I mean, how can you take one guy's hat and then grab another guy to go up on stage? ..."

Skinsand8fan, we were just talking about how Gibbs named Ramsey the starter in 2005 ... until the first actual game.

Thanks for checking in and thanks for your service.

Question: do you have any buddies there nearing the end of their hitch who are about 6'3", and north of 270 pounds, who might be interested in a starting left guard position. Pay is good. Thanks again.

Posted by: dcsween | March 8, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan

How much you weigh? You play guard? We might have an opening for you. No cheerleader be playing stupid games with you then.

Posted by: KK | March 8, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I need a quick education...what does TCCL stand for?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | March 8, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan - It's a shame Chris Cooley wasn't with you when the cheerleaders paid a visit. Forget about trying to get on stage, he would have gotten you backstage if you know what I'm saying...

Keep the posts coming and be safe over there!

Posted by: C.A. | March 8, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise Couch Leap

Posted by: etrod | March 8, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Ask him for pics of the camel spiders...

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 8, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise Couch Leap...

something Jason came up with back in September

1 to 5 scale

1 being dropped by paramount and shunned by your fans
5 being Daniel Snyder's lap dog and marrying Katie Holmes

Posted by: Dorf | March 8, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

TCCL = Tom Cruise Couch Leap

[Its an award Jason made up based on Tom Cruise's weird appearance on Oprah. Started after Tom Cruise showed up in the Owner's box and jinxed the Skins for the Monday night game against Minnesota. 5 is best. 1 is worst.]

Examples:

5 TCCLs for the REAL "America's Team" in Afghanistan.

1 TCCL for the imposters in Dallas.

Posted by: dcsween | March 8, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If the UFO sent Carlos Rogers to Iraq and Afghanistan, the double move might confuse him and leave him in Turkmenistan.

Posted by: Ali Haji Sheik | March 8, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan,

I have nothing but respect and admiration for our friends in uniform. Please stay safe so that you can enjoy many future skins' victories. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Posted by: Mark | March 8, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor vs. the taliban

giddyup

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | March 8, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Captain America is dead... shot by a sniper and then offed by a former girlfriend

Captain Chaos better watch his back...

Posted by: WaPo press | March 8, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

$25,000,000 Uncle Sam TCCLs for Skinsand8fan if you get bin laden

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

A Taliban soldier fired a RPG at the Redskins defense. Joe Salave'a tried to block it but fell down. Warrick Holdman couldn't get a hand on it as it went by. Carlos Rogers tried to catch it but deflected it up in the air. Sean Taylor picked it out of the air, ran it back to the Taliban soldier, and shoved it down his throat.

Posted by: Gen. Williams | March 8, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the discussion. Stay safe!

Posted by: P Diddy | March 8, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Skinsand8fan

Posted by: cdubb | March 8, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, thanks for all the great comments. Can't really say when I will be back...However, it will be before training camp starts...I gotta get there. I have never been. Anyway, with such great responses, if it's ok with you guys, I would be honored to do a weekly or so entry. Will try to come up with something funny and interesting to write about...Thanks again to everyone..WOW..

Posted by: Skinsand8fan | March 8, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Awesome job, Skinsand8fan. Stay safe. That Duckett hat might end up being a collectors item.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | March 8, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan,
Thanks for all that you do! Glad to hear you can still follow the skins even though you are so far from home. Stay safe and God bless!

Posted by: ce1782 | March 8, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

We may have to schedule a pub crawl to celebrate skinsand8fan's return.

Posted by: etrod | March 8, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan, will you settle a bet? My boys and I argue about this all the time. I say that Johnny Chimpo cartoons are real in afghanistan. My boys say that they were made up in Super Troopers.

I say 'Afghansitanamation' is real.

"They'll give you a $25 million reward if you find bin laden. I call the Pentagon once a week with a latitude and longitude. You can't win if you don't play people." -Keavin Nealon

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | March 8, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Great blog and stay safe skinsfan.

There is a report that Gisele could be pregnant by the golden boy

Posted by: calebt17 | March 8, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we might have a replacement for Dock:

By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
March 8, 2007

The Redskins have signed free agent offensive lineman Ross Tucker, the team announced on Thursday.
Tucker, 28, is expected to provide depth at several spots along the Redskins' offensive line. He has played tackle, guard and center in his 5-year NFL career.

The Princeton product has played in 42 games, with 24 starts, in his pro career.

Tucker, 6-4 and 310 pounds, entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with the Redskins in 2001. He played in three games as a rookie, but he was waived the following season.

He signed with the Dallas Cowboys and ended up starting seven for the Cowboys in 2002. He joined the Buffalo Bills--and then-Bills head coach Gregg Williams--in 2003.

In 2003-04, Tucker played in 28 games with 17 starts.

Tucker was released by the Bills in 2005 preseason and he signed with the New England Patriots later that season.

Tucker played in one game for the Patriots during the regular season. In the postseason, he saw action in the Patriots' AFC Divisional Playoff game against the Denver Broncos.

Last August, Tucker was traded by the Patriots to the Cleveland Browns. He was released by the Browns after preseason and did not play during the 2006 season.

Tucker hails from Wyomissing, Pa. At Princeton, he was a three-year starter at guard.

Posted by: ce1782 | March 8, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, stay safe...

F the Taliban

Posted by: chris Larry | March 8, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have LaVar Arrington knowledge?

Posted by: The Governor | March 8, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I know he's unemployed.

Posted by: etrod | March 8, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Great job Kid!!
Hey guys, this is my little brother!!
Stay safe, come home to us soon.

Posted by: tk in virginia | March 8, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know anything about this Ross Tucker guy?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | March 8, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me Ross Tucker is not going to be the starter, but more likely "depth."

Also interesting to see that Tom Brady is becoming the new Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Posted by: dcsween | March 8, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8...

Does that mean the guy likes Ovy too? Or Brunell?

Very different opinion depending on the answer.

Posted by: Rage | March 8, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You go sweetie!!!! Great job!!! Hope you get the cookies I sent soon. Stay safe and we'll hopefully see you soon!!!

Posted by: LeAnn | March 8, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Well done JLC...another milestone for the Insider, keeping families connected.

Posted by: Cheyenne, Wy | March 8, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

From wikipedia re: Tucker ...

After making it to the NFL, Tucker gained infamy for a post play celebration that evoked both cheers and jeers from fans and players alike. After a solid block that leveled the opposing player to the ground (known as a pancake), Tucker would hop around the player in a move nicknamed "The Earthquake." During this celebration, fans would chant, "My name is... My name is... My name is... ROSS BLUBBER!"

Posted by: dcsween | March 8, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

America's pretty boy is really busy these days, macking everyone.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan...YOU ROCK! All respect to you and your fellows!

Posted by: bornafan | March 8, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Gets more @ss than a toilet seat

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | March 8, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

tom brady spreading his seed like i do yo.

Posted by: K-Fed | March 8, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Assuming he is of age of course, I have already extneded the offer of a hearty night of socializing to skinsand8fan. looking forward to that already.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 8, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Im 31....I'm ready for that night out. I will for sure let you know when I get back we will get together...Kinda like that Saturday get together deal you had...That would work huh?

Posted by: Skinsand8fan | March 8, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Great job Skinsand8fan. Stay safe.

Posted by: skinswest | March 8, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

One of the strange ironies in our country. You can go off to foreign lands to fight wars, but when you come home, you can't have a drink. WTF?

Posted by: 4-12 | March 8, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

...if you're under 21. Itchy trigger finger there on Submit button

Posted by: 4-12 | March 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

I assume you are at all of the games...Do you go to any of the road games? I plan to attend the Pats game this year in NE..My girlfriend is a die hard Pats fan...Should be good times...Sorry honey, but the Pats are going down....No more 41-0 in favor of the Pats...

Posted by: Skinsand8fan | March 8, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

You'd think there'd at least be a loophole for servicemen and women to drink if they're under 21.

Posted by: skinswest | March 8, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

It may vary by state, but I'm pretty sure if you have a military ID, you can drink even if you're under 21

Posted by: NWO4LIFE | March 8, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Tons of stuff going on today, but can anything top the arrival of Skinsand8fan in our blog? We're fortunate to have you there and here. Same goes for Dorf's bro.

Posted by: Cindy | March 8, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Not so much, NWO4LIFE, I don't think . . .

I suspect there are quite a few deployed Skins fans out there, and I know it is through our newest poster that we send best wishes to all: Iraq, Afghanistan, HOA, whoknowswhereelseinharm'sway (or even just slightly out of harm's way).

Posted by: stevie in ct | March 8, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Hello everyone,

I am proud to say that I am the girlfriend Skinsand8fan. And YES it is true I am a die hard Patriots fan! Sorry, honey...but we WILL win again! I am looking forward to going to that game with you, and being able to watch football together again. Who knows, that day could have it's very own blog. LoL. I miss you! I can't wait until you are home...I am counting the days.

Posted by: jadegirl25 | March 8, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

That right there

is cool.

Man, the things they can do with the internets these days.

"Oooh, they have the internet on computers now!" - Homer S.

Posted by: stevie in ct | March 8, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Terps don't go cold now! Miami 52 Terps 43 2nd half

Posted by: skinswest | March 8, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Jadegirl!!! I didn't want to say anything to Skinsand8, but I don't see them winning in New England. I like the Patriots' offseason moves. Except for Brady's. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Hope you'll be a regular and will keep us updated on Skinsand8, who may be a little too busy....

Posted by: Cindy | March 8, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Kick the Taliban's ass and get home safe!
Please get home safe!

Posted by: Freddie Boom Boom Washington | March 8, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan - the people of the blog will definitely take you out for drinks when you get back, and I'll see you up in Beantown as well.
The Purple Shamrock. Night before the game. First 3 shots of Jamison are on me.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 8, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the blog, Skinsand8fan....hope we have not scared you too much....sometimes it's like a dysfunctional family on here.

Come home soon!

Posted by: Lisa | March 8, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you rock! Thanks for serving!

Posted by: Ol' Man Gibbs | March 8, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks skinssand8fan!!!!!!!!!!! and good writing too!

Posted by: dealer | March 8, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey all and esp. JLC. We need to contact the NFL and AFN to make sure that all of our troops get EVERY game. Hell, it's the LEAST they deserve!
Jason, can you get us pertinent e-maail addresses? Not the generic ones, but ones that have clout. I don't know how anyone in authority at the NFL or AFN could turn this simple request down.
Once we get the addresses give a shout out for EVERYONE to email these people and insist they give our troops full coverage. Maybe Direct TV would work as well.
God bless these heros!
Go Skins!

Posted by: Redskinrex | March 8, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic, skinsand8fan! I can totally relate about the commercials for the super bowl. Take care.

DC, summer's here in Bangkok. 95 and humid but not as hot as the food. Enjoy the fluffy snow.

Ocho-ocho, thanks for answering my question yesterday!

Posted by: bangkokben | March 8, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

hey cuz,
im gonna have to get ur autograph when ya get home...lol well be safe and i'll see you soon!!

luv ya,
Trisha

Posted by: Trida | March 8, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

skinsand8fan, being a veteran myself, i rarely got a chance to see the skins play during my time in service 95-99, even when they were on tv, they were not very good then so i usually was forced to watch other games by my peers. if you are still over there when the season starts, email me @ dirkjohnson@comcast.net i will tape the games on dvd and send them to you, commercials and all. thanks for serving!!

Posted by: gene | March 8, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME skinsand8fan! Knowing how big a skins fan you are im sure this keeps your spirits up while in Afghanistan. That Jaguars game was priceless and worth every penny we shelled out. Im glad we got to go before you left. I must say that on the way back sitting beside you on the metro i thought to myself- here i sit wondering how the skins are gona win their next game and you were probably wondering what awaits you in a foreign land. Then again knowing how big a fan you are you were probably thinking a little of both. LOL. Much respect to you man and remember when you retire and move back we are gona get season tickets. Be Safe!

Posted by: putMonkinHFame | March 8, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

skinsand8fan,

can't tell you how much i appreciate your service...my dad and uncles all veterans and all local d.c.guys. my dad is now the only one left and still has season tickets and he's damn near 80! so please stay safe and get back for camp. godspeed

Posted by: cosmofla | March 9, 2007 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Nice guest Blog skins&8. We appreciate you and your mates downrange, heres hoping the Skins lead the pack next season so you can watch more games on AFRTS.

I feel a slight twinge of guilt for fast forwarding the commercials on TIVO...nope, I'm over it.

Posted by: Stateside | March 9, 2007 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Why in the world doesn't the NFL work with the military to provide coverage of every game on AFN or via other means? It's a simple comfort and not asking too much.

To our guest blogger, stay safe and thank you for your service to our country. Politics aside we all love and support you for your dedication.

Posted by: Shmoo | March 9, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Just a great idea for a guest blog.

I'd love to read more about the military culture, stories, etc...

Gene - Hella nice of you to do that.

Posted by: Trevor Gartenhaus | March 9, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

skinsand8fan,

Glad to have you on our blog. All the positive comments here towards you is one of the reasons is why I love this blog.

Come home with all your body parts, dude!

Posted by: charlie | March 9, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Skinsand8fan:
Here's an idea for your next post (if you have anything to say on the matter) that ties in football and Afghanistan. What do your fellow soldiers think of Pat Tillman, what happened to him, the controversy, etc.?

Thank you -- in many, many ways.

Posted by: Henry | March 9, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

skinsand8fan ~ Brian! Thanks for sharing this page with me. I hope that your tour over there comes to a quick end soon, so I can see you. My husband is leaving in 4 weeks to Iraq. Rick will be gone for 18 months. You take care and LOVE you!
Your friend.
Oh YA.. Go Pats!

Posted by: Marisa | March 9, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll see you guys at the Purple Shamrock in Beantown. Next 3 shots of Jamison on me.
Thanks for your service!!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninMaine | March 11, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse