Rate Free Agents of the Snyder Era

Once or twice in my five-plus years chronicling all things Redskin, I've been accused of not giving the front office enough credit. So, with that in mind, I'd like to select the best free agent signings of the Daniel Snyder Era.

With that in mind, here's my short list, in the order I would place them:

Casey Rabach

Entering his fifth season with the team, he has been, in my estimation, one of the team's offensive MVPs. Stuck behind Mike Flynn in Baltimore, the Skins pounced on Rabach the moment he hit the market in 2005, badly needing an upgrade over Cory Raymer/Lennie Friedman. Rabach has played through all kinds of injuries, he is as smart and savvy as they come and one of the few veterans on the offensive line who maintained an above-average level of play in 2008.

And, in Redskins World, perhaps the best signal of the quality of this signing is that he has essentially out-performed his deal, which has never required restructuring. He got a modest $2.5 million to sign (and another $2 million in option bonuses) and won't top $3 million in base salary until 2010, the final year of the deal.

London Fletcher

He immediately became the vocal leader this defense needed, as well as the heart and soul of the team. His age at the time he was signed (31) keeps me from putting him at the top of the list, and I have a feeling that might finally catch up to him this season. Still, he has filled a major position the past two seasons and helped the team to one playoff appearance.

He also happens to be the rare top-tier free agent who can say that the team is above .500 during his time here (albeit it just two seasons). Fletcher is the perfect extension of this coaching staff and excels in this system. If they squeeze two more seasons out of him, that's all you can ask. Of the 2005-06 free agent/trade class that got $10 million signing bonuses (a group that includes Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuleta and Andre Carter), he is the one who has most measured up to the deal.

Ethan Albright.

Some will say he's just a long snapper, but since 2001 he's been perfect while making the vet minimum and has been a rare stalwart amid a constantly lagging punting/kicking game.

That's my big three. Make the case for yours.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 19, 2009; 11:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall Gets His Big Chance with Skins
Next: Hall, Smoot: Getting Paid Is a Capitol Idea

Comments

RI MArch Madness Bracket Challenge:

Group:

RI Hamsters

Password:

ST21

(CAPS Sensitive)

LAST CHANCE

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"I thought it was on CBS sport's webpage?"

You are correct sir...I was still in conference tournament mode. I hate CBS with a passion for having the rights to all these games.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

You left out Washington and Springs!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

I think he defeated the purpose and actually is still slinging mud if you put Ethan Albright in your top 3 as best FA signing in the past 10 years......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

'....So what's the third round pick?...'

Fletch is a keeper.

Rabach was used up by the ravens long before he got here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

flound, lol, not sure how they were overlooked, oh wait...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 19, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"They would eat that entire contract in salary cap hit this year if he is traded."
-Flounder

"I've been thinking this all along.....Pioli made the trade because he wants Cassell...so he would just relinquish Cassell to McDaniels?"
-Lisa

Trivia question, why hasn't Matt Cassel signed a new, long-term contract with the Chiefs yet? Seems so curious the Chiefs would give up a 2nd round draft selection just to get a one-year wonder at a one-year contract at a $14 million salary.

The franchise tag salary is not unlike the salary for Jason Taylor last season; all salary, no bonus. In layman's terms, his contract costs zero against the cap to trade or release.

I've theorized this as soon as the Chiefs trade occurred, but Pioli is going to end up turning his 2nd round draft pick into a 1st rounder and Mike Vrabel. They won't sign Cassel long-term until they know for sure the trade talks are essentially dead. And they are far from dead right now.

Wheelin and dealin. That's what Pioli's doing. Cassel will struggle in Kanasas City. He took an 18-0 team and turned them into 11-5, he's not going to take a 2-14 team and turn them into some sort of contender.

Posted by: psps23 | March 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

JLC your right Thomas has been hurt most of the time he's been here, and this stats back you up.

2008 Washington Redskins 16 16

2007 Washington Redskins 3 3

2006 Washington Redskins 16 16

2005 Washington Redskins 14 14

2004 Washington Redskins 15 15

2003 Washington Redskins 16 16

With the exception of 2007 his missed 3 games, JLC still a jacka$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

ethan albright over shawn springs, cornelius griffin, and andre carter?

really? reallly?

Posted by: jstew06 | March 19, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Let's see:

Shawn Springs
RThomas (JLaC has a short memory. He has had 2 injured seasons out of 7 total seasons with us and compared to what others are getting on the market these days, his contract isn't all that bad)
MWash
Griffin
Ryan Clark

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

With the exception of 2007 his missed 3 games, JLC still a jacka$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Good to see someone knows stats on here, cause JLC ain't one of them.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 19, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

You left out Washington and Springs!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:36 AM

Like that's surprising coming from La Canfora

He forgot to mention them because those were THE BEST FA signings they made... Better than Rabach and Albright(LOL), IMO.

I think Fletcher's impact as a FA is up there with Springs and Washington.

But really, what's the meaning of rating free agent signing over the past ten years or so, especially when it's done every single damn day on RI?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Yoder

Here's some blasphemy: I hate college basketball.

March Madness is wack.

It's a shameless slave system designed by the same gutless blue-suit types who can get a playoff system for 64 basketball teams, but can't come up with one for the top 8 football teams.

Go figure.

Bring on the NBA playoffs.

The players in college ball are a bunch of nobodies who get to the NBA and get schooled by European players who have much better games.

Enjoy your 'Brackatology' and help CBS, ESPN, Vegas bookies, and annoying announcers get rich while the kids playng the games walk away without graduating and broke.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I too wonder why Cassel has yet to sign a long term extension.

Which means Cassell can still be traded to the Broncos.

Maybe they are looking over game tape of JC17 to make sure if they want him or not....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Smith did nothing wrong for us.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Can't really argue with your picks.

I'd add Pete Kendell as a great move. I know it was a trade, not a FA, and they gave up a 2nd round pick, but they had a gaping hole to fill after Dockery left and got 2 full years of high production out of the deal.

Also think they FO isn't getting enough credit for how they handled Reed Doughty this year. They knew the markey well enough to know what they needed to offer to keep him. And he's a young, solid overachiever at the safety position.

Posted by: HokiePaul | March 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

funny sh*t Floud @ 11:41

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Along the lines of my comment on Reed Doughty. The FO also should get credit for resigning Rock Cartright last year. As with Doughty, they knew the market well enough to let Rock test free agency, but ultimatly got a good deal when he resigned and is a valuable special teams player who will do just about anything the Redskins need.

Also . . . I think Mike Sellers was brought in as a FA during the Snyder era. If so, i'd argue that that one might have been the best of all of them.

Posted by: HokiePaul | March 19, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

hokie,

It was a 4th round pick, but your correct he did play well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

What a clown. He obviously is promoting a couple of guys who he is tight with under the auspices of a 'positive' commentary. I'm surprised he didn't do a 'best undrafted free agents' so he could fawn over Leigh Torrence and Demetric Evans a little more.

Posted by: jaldrichl | March 19, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Being able to start does not factor in the bruises and bumps. Thomas started most this last year with injuries, wasn't he unable to extend his arm most the season.

Being injured does not mean unable to play. Just means playing at 80% over 100%.

I think Thomas served okay at his spot. He is no weak link.

We have picked up a lot of talent but its hard to say that a guy was worth what they paid for him, or that a guy is worth the head ache.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

lol this list is a joke, really hilarious. it does no good in helping you win back the audiences favor, JLC.

Excluding Randy Thomas because he got injured in what 2 seasons? sorry but if someone rolls up on your leg and breaks it, i dont consider that 'breaking down' because of age.

Springs always played well when healthy. No Cornelius Griffin either? No Marcus Washington? who had your criteria of 2-3 good seasons here before his hip got the better of him?

Come on JLC, this makes things worse as far as discord between you and the audience that reads your crap. You used to actually report factual information and be the first to do so, and be right about it. Now youre just a bitter writer who cant get a redskins scoop before other news outlets break it. Now your 'team sources' are purposely feeding you false and misleading information from time to time(I have a relative who works for the redskins who has told me this), hence making you look like an even bigger a** than when you try to play arm chair GM.

Posted by: X--E | March 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The quality comment for the good FA picks get undercut by the dumb 're-doing deals' issue that has the team in sal cap hell.

Count up the dead cap money the skins have for guys no longer with the team, add to it the money going to guys most teams would cut (like Jansen), and figure that into the assessment of how the FO has handled things.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Sellers was here for 3 years, then left for Cleveland for 1 year, then was out of football for 2 years then cam back here.

WTF

Anybody know the details of that?

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I freakin' hate the Big Ten in basketabll - a score you could expect is something like: 51-46, WTF? Those T.C. Titans can put up more points than some of those Big Ten schools.

Big Ten football is also approaching the unwatchable categorey.

But with that said, I like the tournament though, although last years tournament wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

So all of you who entered the RI group will begin to get your "issue" at about 11:20 PM EST - I can't wait to check out y'alls brackets

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

For those that don't approve of the way JlC covers this once proud team, feel free to read/post at one of the other more Dan-centric blogs around the internet.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Sellars was build up that physique we all know and love during his two year hiatus.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know the details of that?

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM

He signed with the Browns after doing well under Norv.

He then got busted moving Coke (not the drink). Faced felony Charges of distribution or possesion. Got off. Released by the Browns. I think went back to the CFL. Then came back here.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Am I in the minority that thinks that Casey Rabach sucks and needs to be replaced ASAP? I have not liked Rabach since his 1st year, when after a late INT by Springs against the Chargers deep in their territory, he got a holding penalty that made the field goal longer, of course the kick was missed and of course the Skins lost in OT. I am sick and tired of watching him get blown 5 yards into the backfield after every snap, I am also tired of hearing him come to the defense of his hunting buddy and worst Redskins starter last year, Jon Jansen every time there is talk of replacing him. BOTH PLAYERS NEED TO BE REPLACED. To have the official wash post blogger saying in his estimation that Rabach is an offensive mvp is offensive to me and should be to the entire Redskins organization. Rabach has got to go, he sucks, I'm glad he "knows how to make calls at the line", that's great now if he could block then the Redskins would have a legit pro Center. The Redskins can do much better. And London Fletcher is a beast

Posted by: retroskins14 | March 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ben 10 football is becoming a Spread Ofeensive league.

Way different look than the smashmouth and throw it long offenses we were use to....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the Springs signing. He was a bit of a Diva, spent too much time in AZ for practice, did not ever want to re-structure his contract and took up a bunch of cap space, he had that DUI, I always got the vibe that he was not the team leader that he could be or that a LFB is.

I feel bad for the guy cuz of the family situation he had with his dad, and am guessing that effected him to a point.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

What, no Archuleta?... Man, that kid can sing.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Not Bruce Smith. We paid too much for a player way past his prime.

I would agree with Randy Thomas, Grif, Springs and Washington amongst others - and London Fletcher should be on the top of the list.

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Maske on the accuracy of NFL kickers:

Posted by: CindyBoren | March 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Enjoy watching NBA games where the people in the stands are more interested writing e-mails on their blackberry. You can't pay me to watch a regular season NBA game. Playing music while the game is going on?? College basketball has the passion of the fans. It's like going to see a comedy, you'll like it a lot more if there's a packed theater and everyone is yucking it up. The NBA will only gain more interest now though, because they put an end to drafting nobodies out of high school. For every LeBron and Kobe there's a Kwame Brown. The NBA season is way too long and the playoffs are the only time you get guys playing at the highest level.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

MistaMoe, do you like college football?

Also, name your top 10 players in the NBA. I doubt very seriously that there will be a European among them. No European was selected for the East All-Star team and only 3 made the West team. It was the same for the Rookie v. Sophomore game.

4th - What's up with having 2 brackets?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 19, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I would say we got what we paid for with Washington. he was a good solid player for most of the time. They made the right move letting him go this season as he has started to break down.

I would also like to say that Rabach is fine at center for the next year or two.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Red's word: All athletes are divas and arrogant.

Money + A unique skill + fame = Arrognace/Prima Donna like behavior

It's somehting that you just have to except, or stop watching.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

JLC is sucjh an idiot.

-Mike Sellers not on the list? No Cornelius Griffin? Randy Thomas - the guy was only hurt for one year, how is that bad signing?

JLC sucks.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | March 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retroskins14 | March 19, 2009 12:02 PM

Dude, I was at that game and unless Rabach was playing DT he doesn't get credit for that loss. Yeah, the hold hurt but it doesn't come down to that drive if the defense keeps LT in check in 4th quarter. Lt didn't do jack sh!t for 3 quarters and in the 4th he looked like Sweetness in his prime. A 10 point lead in the 4th quarter should count for something.

That said, I don't question Rabach being on the list, I question him being ranked 1st. Only a d0uche Ravens fan would rank Rabach 1st, when he's not even ranked first on that UNIT in my opinion (Randy Thomas).

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Spring and Cornelious Griffin jump out as successes.

Oh, and we cannot forget Todd Collins... who came in to replace that non-TD throwing mediocre loser Jason Campbell, and did what Jason has and will never be able to do, led us to the PLAYOFFS!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 11:59 AM |

Shutup already, this is the first post I've ever seen from you.

JLC would rather people on here criticize him everyday all day then post once.

Cindy cares about numbers not content, JLC probably writes most of his negative crap just to get more post.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Dammit I need to see the other brackets in case I need to make changes...

It's Thursday already!

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

+++Albright makes me hate the fact I didn't learn to punt, kick, or long snap when I was in high school, way back when the New Deal was the 'Change We Could Believe In'.

Posted by: MistaMoe++++

Wow you're OLD if you were in high school back during the LAST big Depression.

THIS is Spooky. HERBERT Hoover begat that Depression. George HERBERT Walker Bush begat W who Begat this Depression.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Dammit I need to see the other brackets in case I need to make changes...

It's Thursday already!

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:18 PM

Wow...

You are as indecisive as Jason Campbell in the pocket just before a sack!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

4th, I see in one of your brackets, you have UCLA as your champion...

That pick has your bracket SMASHED due to the fact that VVEEEEEEEEEA Commonwealth will take them out in the first round.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:21 PM

------------

Woah, and Jason Campbell's middle name is Herbert, and he played at Herbert High School!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 19, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

In Albright's defense: He's the only Free Agent signed under Dan Snyder who has made a pro bowl.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 19, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Dammit I need to see the other brackets in case I need to make changes...

It's Thursday already!

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:18 PM |

Red,

I thought you were going to win, what do you need to jock someone elses bracket for.

I'm taking everyone down, and I expect proper praise afterwards.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Until Sellars this year. sorry. I'd still put Sellars, Fletcher and Springs as the top 3.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 19, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs. We never missed Champ because of him. And he did it without a pass rush. Yes, he was injured often, but when he was on the field he was as good as any corner in the league.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

And Herbert Rubenstein was my very first boss, at Colesville Hardware - it just keeps getting weirder

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

+++Bruce Smith did nothing wrong for us.

Posted by: 4thFloor +++

AND he helped put the "i" back in "Team."

No seriously, toward the end he was very bit as effective as Jason Taylor was for the 'skins.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 19, 2009 12:22 PM

Guess you're name is Herbert H. Herbert...one guess what the 'H' stands for...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cork,

I sent your Jersey's out last night, let me know when you get them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

guru, the changing of brackets is a joke... one man, one bracket, one man to wallow in victory.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If I may be serious, I’d ALMOST put Deion Sanders on the list. WHAT? Yup. At the time the Redskins were facing NFC East teams with superb receivers. Sanders was needed in the defensive backfield. He got hurt and was ineffective. But it was the right move at the time. Overpaid? But of course.

But I’ll put HAYNESWORTH at the top of the list before he plays a down. He will either be extraordinary and lift the defense, or not, and perhaps put an end to this buy-a-champeenship approach. Or get suspended. Or hurt. Or slam into a bridge abuttment at 120 MPH

Second best? Lemme see Taylor? (no a trade) Arch? Receiver The Wide, Bruce Smith, former U of F QBS? Noooo.

Who can forget Schweigert, who would solve the skins safety problems?

Various kickers and punters? No. ARE? No. Brunell? (nice try, but no. He got hurt, too).

Duckett? Hell, no. Or wwait, that was one of the FO's fine trades... E. James? I guess I gotta go with Fletcher.

1. HAYNESWORTH
2. FLETCHER
3. WASHINGTON
4. SPRINGS
5. ALBRIGHT
6. SANDERS

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Shutup already, this is the first post I've ever seen from you."

So....I'm thinking we should put Flounder in charge of the welcoming committee.

All in favor...

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davidalanwatts | March 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

+++Wow.

Posted by: 4thFloor+++

As a general rule, anyone who starts a post on RI with “Wow” is a FO homer.

Albright has NEVER had a bad snap. And, if you think the other two members of a field goal team aren’t important, ask Suisham how he liked rotating holders last year, or the Dallas kicker who was Romo’d… Or punter’ Turks brother (RIP).

But you make a point. In ten years of the kind of FA activity the ‘skins have had under Snyder, there is NO WAY a snapper should make the top three. Sadly, with the Redskins, it’s an arguable point.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree w/Hokie on Mike Sellers. He's a beast, can flat out play, is a team leader, and finally got some recognition with the ProBowl this year (good job stuffing the ballot everyone!). He's playing for a low salary and is worth every penny.
I'll add on that Moss was a great trade by the FO, and even though he's a big salary cap hit, he's been pretty close to worth every penny. Dude plays hurt, doesn't complain, and he stars in United Way commercials. He may not be a true #1 reciever but he's on heck of a #2.

Posted by: 4skinz | March 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

4th - What's up with having 2 brackets?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 19, 2009 12:10 PM

Yeah, I didn't know I had 2 until yesterday. I wasn't going to fill out the other one. But since it was there, When in Rome....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

LH - I just changed the name to DO NOT COUNT ME.

So, there won't be any questions when I win....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Oooooo, I LOVE THE SH*T TALK, BAY-BEE!!!!

Flound, see my 12:27 - I'm coming for the crown...

CSU Northridge is up 5 on Memphis, 9-5 - LMAO - I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M AT FRIGGIN' WORK TODAY!

WTF, BUTLER!?!?!?! LSU?!?!?!? Let's f'n go!

Posted by: RedDMV | March 19, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

4th - where's the NIT Bracket?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 19, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

+++Hey Cork,

I sent your Jersey's out last night, let me know when you get them.

Posted by: Flounder21+++

Not yet. I really appreciate the gift, even though you get an Employee's discount from Redskin.Com.

Send me your address and I'll send you my old Brandon Lloyd game day jersey. I'm sure those paint stains will come right out.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

+++Wow.

Posted by: 4thFloor+++

As a general rule, anyone who starts a post on RI with “Wow” is a FO homer.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:30 PM

Wow...Just Wow...

I never said he was bad. I said he's not top 3. So now your whole point is 'mute'.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Red,

I think everyone would be in trouble if that scored held up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

+++ Ladell Betts steamrolled right into the back of Thomas' legs while Thomas was locked up blocking a guy. Broke his tibia as I remember. I guess that makes him injury prone?

Posted by: davidalanwatts+++

No, just unlucky. What were the odds Betts would have gotten out of the backfield far enough to run into a lineman?

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if "trades" count, but I think Santana Moss needs to get thrown into the mix of the discussion.

In the 4 years he's been here he's only missed 4 regular season games. He's averaged 70 catches/1,030 yds/6TDs a season. He'll also return punts when you ask him to. He's single-handedly won games for this team.

He's done this despite having no other WRs worthy of their salaries to take heat off of him (he's often facing double teams), and having nothing stellar at the QB position to get him the ball.

I've never heard him complain or moan about the offense or his coaches or his teammates, even though there's been PLENTY of opportunity to do that over the past 4 years.

Productive, explosive, team guy, great attitude, brings it every week.

Posted by: p1funk | March 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

COMPETITION COMMITTEE PROPOSES CHANGE TO DRAFT ORDER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2009, 11:30 a.m. EDT
Various news reports have listed some of the rules changes that the Competition Committee will be proposing to the owners for consideration at upcoming league meetings in California.

Frankly, we haven’t busted our humps to list them all because the owners have shown in the past that they’re not averse to ignoring the advice of the Competition Committee.

But one of the proposed changes has gotten our attention.

The Competition Committee has suggested re-ordering the bottom of round one of the draft based not upon the record of the playoffs teams, but when they exit the tournament.

“A team can win a playoff game and yet get to pick [in the draft] before the team it beat,” Falcons president Rich McKay said.

Actually, under the current structure, a team can make it to the conference finals and pick before a team that didn’t even get to the playoffs at all.

As it now stands, the 30 teams that don’t qualify for the Super Bowl are ranked by record, regardless of whether they qualify for the postseason. As a result, there will be years in which a playoff team picks before a playoff team that it defeated, and years in which a playoff team picks before a non-playoff team.

This year, there’s both.

The Eagles, at No. 21, pick a spot before the Vikings, even though the Eagles beat the Vikings in the wild-card round.

Also, the Eagles pick two spots before the Patriots, even though Philly played in the NFC title game. The Patriots, despite an 11-5 record, didn’t qualify for the postseason.

Likewise, the Chargers pick at No. 16, before five teams that didn’t participate in a playoff game (Jets, Bears, Bucs, Cowboys, Pats) and eleven spots before the team San Diego beat in the playoffs, the Colts.

Though the explanation tacked onto the bottom of the AP article isn’t as clear as we’d like, it appears that the new procedure (if accepted by the owners) will give the 20 non-playoff teams the first 20 spots in the draft, with the next 12 teams being placed based on when they exited the tournament.

In other words, the wild-card weekend losers would hold spots 21 through 24, with specific placement based on regular-season record. Division-round losers would pick from 25 to 28. The conference runners-up would have spots 29 and 30, and the Super Bowl teams would get 31 and 32.

Hopefully, this is one proposal that the owners will accept.

Especially since we proposed this idea in January.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

HOCHULI RULE COMING?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2009, 12:19 p.m. EDT
In the wake of last year’s Mile High fiasco involving the Broncos, the Chargers, and referee Ed Hochuli, some opined strongly that the NFL wouldn’t change the rule that prevents awarding possession to the defense after determining via replay review that an incomplete forward pass actually was a fumble.

The stated reason was “player safety,” since every loose ball behind the line of scrimmage would trigger a scrum, regardless of whether a fumble actually occurred.

But the Competition Committee has decided nevertheless to recommend a change that would allow continuation of the play even after a decision is made that the play has ended due to an incomplete pass.

Under the current rule, the determination on the field that an incomplete pass was thrown makes the ball dead the moment it hits the turf. So, while Hochuli correctly found via watching the tape that he’d screwed up when characterizing Jay Cutler’s fumble as a forward pass, Hochuli couldn’t award possession to the Chargers.

Under the proposed rule, possession can be awarded to the defense — if the video also contains indisputable visual evidence that the defense recovered the fumble.

(In this regard, the AP story regarding the proposed rule change is flat wrong insofar as it states that the proposal would make reviewable the question of whether an incomplete pass was actually a fumble. That rule already exists. The flaw arises from the fact that, under the current rule, possession can’t change.)

The proposed rule tracks the recently-revised “down by contact” rule. Previously, a ruling on the field that a runner’s knee was down could not be reviewed, even if replay showed a clear and obvious fumble. The rule was tweaked to permit the replay review of such calls, and to allow the defense to emerge with possession if the video evidence is conclusive both that a fumble occurred, and that the defense recovered the ball.

The irony here is that the AP article regarding the various proposed changes focuses at one point on various player safety measures. Though we don’t think that any realistic player safety issues will arise from allowing them to pursue a ball bouncing around in the backfield, the fact that player safety was cited as the reason during the season for not changing the rule seems odd in light of the stated emphasis by the Competition Committee on player safety.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If you are a Redskins fan and simply want the team to kick ass, then Jansen's comments are music to your ears. He realizes he has got work to do, and is attacking same with a warrior spirit. Coming in at 18 vice 23 percent body fat, and putting it out there for all to see. Fear of failure as a motivator does not suck. Me thinks Buges laid it out for all his boys before they broke away for the winter. Jansen apparently got he message. If we can steal another year out of him...sweet.

And now for the deep conspiracy portion of the post. JLC painting up Rabach so he can rant and rave all year long after Redskins trade back and get Mack/Unger to replace him or Randy Thomas along with a DE/LB.

Ethan F'ing Albright????? Bwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 19, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Pretty Ironic the NCAA pool has 21 entries.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

SPECIAL FOR CALIFORNIA HATERS

The Justice department has announced it will no longer persecute legal California Pot sellers who sell legal Pot in california. You know, the, um, ones who sell medicinalical maryjop, Mari… manjuann...WEED to Californians from California who have the $200 necessary to get a letter from a Pot Doc which says they need to smoke Dope, Dude.

I like Snickers more than Milky Way.

Look at the pretty flowers.

Gotta go look for my Iron Butterfly's Greatest Hits. It has the 17 minute virgins of "in a gadda-da-vida."

Which is spanish for "in the gadda OF Vida."

That reminds me, I gotta lob Skippy a call and tell him the good news.

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could agree about Moss, but it seems as though every year he "tweaks" his hammy after the third or fourth game and turns into a 5' 9" 165 lb. possession receiver.

When healthy, he's friggen' awesome, but we need a few more healthy games out of him.

Hmmmm...he really did smoke the cowgirls pretty bad. Maybe that makes it worth it after all.

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

++++Wow...Just Wow...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 ++++

I'd respond, but you've knocked me speechless. You could say I'm "moot."

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

LOLOLOL @ "moot"

run jesse run

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 11:59 AM |

Shutup already, this is the first post I've ever seen from you.

JLC would rather people on here criticize him everyday all day then post once.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Pay more attention then "flounder" (you a fat guy with a beenie cap or do you smell like toffing fish?). I've posted occasssionally around here for years. Just another dissatissfied danny customer

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

+++Red,

I think everyone would be in trouble if that scored held up.

Posted by: Flounder21+++

Flound-Dude. You live in california, too?

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

meant to say rotting fish. sorry

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

His point may not be moot, but it is very quiet

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 19, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Oh, I like it when the fat bag of pus gets ornery.

It's so... Napoleon.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 19, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Moss owns the Cowboys.

I was at the game a few years back when he had 3TDs against the Giants.

This past year we have him to thank for beating the Lions - long TD reception and a punt return for TD.

It's true that alot of his production comes in "bunches", but that's what happens when you have an overall crappy offense and get double-covered/schemed-against often.

Moss also holds the Skins single-season record for receiving yards.

...and lots of "speedy" receivers get the hammy issue; it sort of comes with the territory...

Posted by: p1funk | March 19, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Explain why Griffin isn't the best FA brought in by the Wizards of Redskins Park.

Before he came, we had nothing....

...and after he leaves, we'll have even less.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------
hurt for a good portion of his career here???

According to NFL.com, Randy Thomas games and games started stats with the Skins are:

G GS
2008 Washington Redskins 16 16
2007 Washington Redskins 3 3
2006 Washington Redskins 16 16
2005 Washington Redskins 14 14
2004 Washington Redskins 15 15
2003 Washington Redskins 16 16

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

meant to say rotting fish. sorry

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 12:56 PM |

Thats original why don't you go back to posting occassionally.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

just might.

Thanks for saying my posting was original. I was sure I had heard that stuff somewhere.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 19, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Pretty Ironic the NCAA pool has 21 entries.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

How so?

Posted by: mack1 | March 19, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Brad Johnson was a pretty good free agent pickup. I know we got him in between the 98 and 99 seasons and Snyder’s 1st season was 99, but I am not sure if Brad Johnson get’s credited to the Snyder “regime”. Probably not, as it would seem the first chance he got he picked up Jeff George and informed Norv that George was to be the guy…..I remember being mad that they let Trent Green go, but Johnson filled in nicely when he was allowed to play.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Randy Thomas got hurt in 07 through no fault of his own. Ladell Betts steamrolled right into the back of Thomas' legs while Thomas was locked up blocking a guy. Broke his tibia as I remember. I guess that makes him injury prone?

Posted by: davidalanwatts"

No, Randy Thomas got hurt in '07 by tearing his triceps and having surgery. He was hurt in 2005 with the broken tibia.

Posted by: psps23 | March 19, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

BYU is killing me.

Posted by: will_ga | March 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Funk -

I pretty much agree with you, I just can't put him on our all-time list because it's a game here and a game there. When he's healthy, he's awesome.

I'd be interested in what we could get from him for a whole season if he wasn't an every-down guy and returned punts for us. He's crazy fast.

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Springs and Griffen were solid players but their contracts were out of proportion to their performance thanks to injuries. I would say the resigning of Fred Smoot was a good move, everyone thought he was done and he gave us a good year and a is still valuable depth, but once again, highly paid for that. The Santanna Moss trade was nothing but a positive. And although the resigning of Collins looks dubious the initial bringing in was a positive for a cheap contract to reel off 4 wins and achieve a playoff appearance there's not much more you can ask for from a 30 something year old backup QB. Todd Yoder has been a nice value signing as well.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 19, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

'...JLC probably writes most of his negative crap just to get more posts....'

Ya think?

Unless, of course, he honestly believes the redskins FO has produced a sometimey playoff team that has cap issues, is old, drafts poorly,likes the power of big names, and doesn't replenish its offensive and defensive fronts with younger, cheaper players.

Or does he?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Marcus was good then broke down fast, but still was a plus for 2 seasons, and the Thrash resigning was a positive, he's played a much bigger role than anyone could have imagined.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 19, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

???

Campbell to KC
Cassell to Denver
Cutler to DC

Reported by SI?

Posted by: AWWNats | March 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas has started 83% of games during his 6-year tenure with the Redskins. And the bulk of his missed games came in one season, 2007.

That makes the statement by the fat bag of pus - "hurt for a good portion of his career here" - another laugher.

Someone fire that lazy POS.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

As far as ranking the outside acquisitions:

1. Clinton Portis
2. Santana Moss
3. Cornelius Griffin
4. London Fletcher
5. Shawn Springs
6. Mike Sellers
7. Marcus Washington
8. Randy Thomas
9. Andre Carter
10. Todd Collins

Posted by: psps23 | March 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

dl, brad cost the team a dance step, 1, and a 2 and a 3, I believe.

cork, what are your thoughts on what Nancy Pelosi said yesterday regarding raids on illegals.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 19, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"-- the best of the "Jetskins"-- "

Better question: who was the worst of the 'Gatorskins' brought in by Clueless Steve Spurrier:

Danny Wuerffuel.
Shane Matthews
Jaquez Green
Taylor Jacobs

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Moe about Griff. But regardless of who one thinks is best, consider the contribution of the '04 class as a whole; the main pickups were Griff, Springs, Washington, Daniels and Brunell. Before those first 4 showed up the defense was consistently bad for years. Since then they have been top-ten for 4 of the 5 years they have been here. They *collectively* transformed the defense. Despite many bad signings over the years, one could argue this bunch was the best FA signing year ANY team has had.

Ever.

Posted by: sysadb420 | March 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MondoTE11 | March 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think he is going for most "bang" for the buck. Players who have been worth more than what they've been paid.

They way overpaid Portis. Moss is good but has had injuries. As did Marcus Washington.

They way overpaid Todd Collins given his age.

Carter really hasn't lived up to the exorbitant amount Snyder paid.

Sellers? Good point! Be tempted to put him at the top of Jason's list. His age is creeping as well though.

Posted by: periculum | March 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Can't put much into the Philly.com rumor on JC17, its a bloggers post. If you twitter it it has more credibility then something posted on that site.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Funk -

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting to see what he can do if we can just get a decent #2 to play opposite him and take off some heat.

Contrary to what JLA says, Moss is a legit #1 WR in this league.

He doesn't only run deep routes, he catches short routes and goes over the middle. He's great on bubble screens.

Posted by: p1funk | March 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

psps23 - I'm gonna have to move Moss ahead of Portis for reasons of character and overall performance. CP opens his mouth too much. I'll also have to move Collins ahead of Carter, mostly for everything he did in 07 to take us to the playoffs.

Moe - gonna have to go with Mathews. Totally worthless. At lease Jacobs stuck around into Gibbs first year...

Posted by: 4skinz | March 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"""Considerations include bang for the buck, ability to find a highly productive player who meshes well with the scheme and compiles multiple quality seasons that contribute to winning. Being a solid citizen, a team leader, a selfless player and someone willing to battle through injuries and hardships to persevere are bonuses. I'm going to leave aside veteran minimum guys who were basically "a body" for a year or two (Warrick Holdman/Todd Wade), though I applaud the Skins for getting stopgaps of that type, and I'm also calling baloney on anyone trumpeting Bruce Smith, whose career here was essentially defined by the pursuit of individual accolades. I'm looking for guys who have had a good run of at least two or three years. And I'm also keeping off Randy Thomas -- the best of the "Jetskins"-- because at the time he was signed, his $28 million deal was one of the biggest in NFL history for a guard, and he has been hurt for a good portion of his career here."""

LOL this is just stupid you could do this to just about every team in the NFL and get a negative spin...the way it's judged you won't find hardly but what? 1 to 3 teams that would come away shining from those reasons.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Danny Wuerffuel.
Shane Matthews
Jaquez Green
Taylor Jacobs

It's THE BATTLE FOR THE BOTTOM!

Shane was almost good.

The rest of those guys I wouldn't give you a nickel for. Wuerffuel was probably the worst, unless you're really into noodle armed QB"s

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

SIX FLAGS INC
(NYSE: SIX)

Real-Time: 0.17 0.01 (6.25%) 1:37pm ET
==========================================
Sky's the limit, Baybee!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 19, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

LAST CHANCE

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 11:34 AM =========================================
Sorry. I wanted to enter, but as usual I never got my act together.

Again.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"can someone please address this besides a philly website?

Posted by: MondoTE11 | March 19, 2009"

Could be something to it. Most all hope that its a hoax. But we are dealing with Snidely D Owl, owner and GM of the Washington Redskins. Idiot extraordinaire.

Will have to wait until draft day to see if it goes through because it could be that draft position and who's available may hold things to the last minute?

Posted by: periculum | March 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see.

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'll also have to move Collins ahead of Carter, mostly for everything he did in 07 to take us to the playoffs."

Don't forget, that was also Carter's 10-sack season. He was just as important as anybody else that year.

Posted by: psps23 | March 19, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

edvar

I misremembered the fact that Shane Matthews was a regular sack dummy for the Chi-Town Bears.

But Sprurrier was the dummy who could've learned a lot from the NFL.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

It's ridiculous how much play this issue is getting.

Cutler has had one nice season with the Broncos. He's never been to the postseason. He's being a big baby, and folks are on this story like it is Brett Favre coming out of retirement again.

Posted by: p1funk | March 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Was this because the OL was good or because Peyton rushed his throws to prevent sacks and hence got intercepted a lot?

Posted by: AntonChigurh *

Probably a bit of both. I still like the fact he threw the ball instead of taking a sack.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I am going Jaquez Green for that. We also had Sage Rosenfels but he was not a Floridaian Funny enough I think he is the only one thats in the league.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

hey guys maybe we should examine the Ravens and How good they have done in FA with the same parameters....

("bang for the buck, ability to find a highly productive player who meshes well with the scheme and compiles multiple quality seasons that contribute to winning. Being a solid citizen, a team leader, a selfless player and someone willing to battle through injuries and hardships to persevere are bonuses.")

....and see if they come out shining.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Moe -

Too bad Spurrier had it backwards. He thought he was gonna teach the NFL a thing or two.

What a train wreck.

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sage Rosenfels was drafted by Marty

Posted by: edvar | March 19, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

D@mnit!

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

You could say I'm "moot."

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 12:52 PM |

That was the pun of my joke....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 19, 2009 1:47 PM
=====================================
1) It's better to take a sack than throw an interception.

2) How do you think JC would have liked to play against the Skins D last year, knowing that he would have all day in the pocket almost every down?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"For all the JC apologists, ask yourself,"How would the Skins D like to go against JC if he were the starting QB for the opposing team?" I think they'd be licking their chops, knowing sacks would be piling up."

Like Blache said, "Our defense couldn't sack groceries"

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

WTF

Anybody know the details of that?

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If i remembe correctly he got busted for pot and got cut since he wasnt a starter (NFL double standard) he played in Canada and came back to us at the start of Gibbs 2 i think.

He should be listed as one of them...Pro Bowler and should have been two other years and meets the criteria...

Posted by: sources | March 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Floridians - are there any Criminoles out there who want to weigh in on Bobby Bowden?

''There are different degrees of doing something wrong,'' Bowden said, according to media reports in Florida. "You can go five miles over the speed limit. That's one thing. Or you can go 50 miles over the speed limit, and that's dangerous. ... It just seems like they're killing a flea with a hammer.''

Absolutely. Mass organized cheating involving a dozen players and even some staff is like going 5 miles over the speed limit.

You tell them Bobby Bo!

Posted by: p1funk | March 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

PAT WHITE WORKS OUT AT RECEIVER FOR PATRIOTS
Last Updated 1:47 p.m. EDT, March 19, 2009

I do think he has potential at receiver/returner. Just not sure where he will be picked at.

Posted by: will_ga | March 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The one thing that worries me about Cutler, is he plays and puts up fancy pants numbers in the AFC West. I mean thats still the AAA of the NFL.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Bloggas:

Does this headline:

"Hall Gets His Big Chance with Skins"

Mean the secondary depth chart looks like this:

Hall
Rogers
Smoot
Tyron
(draftee--M Jenkins/Smith???)

The singular issue with the depth chart is that Rogers is going to want to get paid as a lead player, not the second guy.

And is there money for him for that slot?

Don't think so.

And given the likelihood/unlikelihood that 2010 might be an uncapped year, if I'm Rogers and I don't get a great deal before the season ends, I'm hitting the street and looking to get paid.

This means the team loses a guy during his prime and gets nothing in return for him.

Maybe CR should be moved for value before the bad thing we know is going to happen, happens.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 19, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

if memphis loses that is going to cornhole a nation of brackets.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 19, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

(15)Cal State Northridge 55, (2) Memphis 55

WTF??

Posted by: will_ga | March 19, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

+++...statement by the fat bag of pus...

Someone fire that lazy POS.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 +++

Computer priviledges have evidently been restored in the Big House again.

Reading "MrRedskins" and "Sports Guru" makes me realize a survey on the active number of psychoses represented here might be even more interesting and informative.

Okay, let me save these blokes a response.

"You're gay I hate you your dumb and not smart and probably work at MacDonalds."--Mrredskin21

"Jason Campbell sucks and he's bad and he's awful and it's all his fault."--Sports_Guru

Posted by: TheCork | March 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

News for those who chose the UConn Huskies:

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

FYI to all those who want to look at JCuts stats vs JC's look closer at the games he played against above average teams, he puts up great stats vs the Cleveland and Oakland and KC of the world, but look at his numbers vs the NFC South,(a good division to compare to the NFC East): 21/34-264-2T-1I vs NO, 23/34-227-1T vs TB, 19/27-216-1T vs ATL, and 21/33-172-1T-1I vs CAR.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

And The Truth (11) must be in court today...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 19, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 19, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Moe, I know what you mean about college basketball. I was telling one of my boys that I really can't watch college basketball until now because of the poor quality of play."

You think the NBA has a higher quality of play?

Must not be watching the Wizards...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 19, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 19, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

WRONG!!!!! Marcus Washington made a probowl with us. So has Sellers. Randy Thomas would of made it in 05 hadnt betts rolled up on his leg late in the season.

also, TRADES DO NOT COUNT AS FREE AGENT ACQUISITIONS!!!

Posted by: X--E | March 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"the '04 class as a whole; the main pickups were Griff, Springs, Washington, Daniels and Brunell. Before those first 4 showed up the defense was consistently bad for years. Since then they have been top-ten for 4 of the 5 years they have been here. They *collectively* transformed the defense. Despite many bad signings over the years, one could argue this bunch was the best FA signing year ANY team has had."

Thanks for reminding us. Would that have been Vinnie's work?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

i would like to nominate dave fiore, michael barrow, and kenny wright.

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

james tuthill and michael husted too

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wowowee now thats a short list. Now lets make a long list of Snyder mistakes like stocking 35 year old linemen and giving away draft picks.

Posted by: jercha | March 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

This is slightly off topic but the worst redskin pickup ever was jeff hostetler. It made me cringe to see him in a skins uniform.

Which is surprising because he's such a handsome devil.

Posted by: buke | March 19, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Brunell, Moss, Thrash all were traded for, not free agent pickups, get it right idiots

Posted by: X--E | March 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

add portis to the trade list too

Posted by: X--E | March 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Like Blache said, "Our defense couldn't sack groceries"

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who *****

Yes, I suppose you are right, although didn't they lead the league in "almost a sack?" Going after the statue, also known as JC, they'd turn some of those into sacks for sure.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"[Moss] He's not the biggest/strongest guy, so he's not an "ideal" possession receiver or red-zone receiver, but he runs all the routes, has great hands and is a threat to break a big one every time he touches the ball."

He can't run a red zone fade, tho.

Posted by: mrsaun | March 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

finally JLC tries to show support, but he leaves out Griff, springs, and wash. How about Todd Collins 5 starts 4 wins

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I love the timing of the article because next year we might say Haynesworth, Hall, and Dockery. Man I hope so

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 19, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

How about Todd Collins 5 starts 4 wins

Posted by: pabrian2003

I couldnt agree more, he lead us to the playoffs and although he is just a backup QB if we are talking bang for the buck and guys out performing expectations Collins has to be on that list.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 19, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Moss, Portis, Fletcher

Posted by: alocowboy | March 19, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Moss, Portis, Fletcher

Posted by: alocowboy | March 19, 2009 6:14 PM

Too bad Moss and Portis were acquired via trades and not free agency.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 19, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse