Betts Back on Track

After a knee injury forced Ladell Betts to miss three games last season and contributed to his career lows in carries and rushing yards, the reserve running back said after today's OTA session that he feels at full strength and is eager to atone for what was a disappointing 2008.

"I was having a real good season up until I got hurt, so it was a little disappointing from that aspect because I had a good rhythm going, yards per carry and everything," Betts said. "But when you get a chance to step away from football because of injury, you realize how much you miss it. So it's a little bit of added motivation this year to prove that I'm still capable of running the ball."

Betts gained 156 yards on 38 rushing attempts (4.1 ypc) in the first six games last season before straining a lateral collateral ligament in his knee. After missing three games, Betts returned and finished the season with 206 yards on 61 attempts (3.4 ypc).

Betts's absence from the lineup meant more of a burden was placed on the shoulders of starter Clinton Portis, whose production diminished as the season progressed.

"Before I got hurt we had a nice little one-two system going, and when Clinton was tired or if he was banged up a little bit I was able to step in there," Betts said. "Once I got hurt, he didn't have that same luxury, and it kind of hurts the team when you just have one running back getting worn down. Hopefully both of us can continue to stay healthy and we can get some wins on the board this year."

Betts said he hopes to take on an increased role this season and that he focused on building strength in his legs during the offseason as a precautionary measure against future injuries similar to the one he endured last year.

"I'm 100 percent. I feel like my old self, like I was last year at the beginning of the year; I feel good," Betts said. "Barring good heath [sic], I think (he and Portis) will both have a productive year."

By Steve Yanda  |  June 4, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thrash Decision Expected Before Training Camp
Next: Davis Hopes to Draw Notice for His Play

Comments

First......Yes!

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 4, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"I could care less.....about the team S-T-R-U-G-G-A-L-I-N-G"

~ Namath

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Once I got hurt, he didn't have that same luxury"

...because Rock Cartwright is an utter waste of space as a reliable #3 RB. Enter Shaun Alexander (ugh).

Rock has 0 upside as a developing back. He's as good as he'll ever be in that regard. At least get a kid on the roster we can groom to move up the depth chart.

Posted by: McMetal | June 4, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

good stuff, I'm hoping the carries get split about 65/35 between cp/lb

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"FortheluvvaGod, find someone ELSE to return KO, so we can use that roster spot on a back who can actually step in and produce when needed. (MASON MASON MASON!)"

because he's just done so well during the regular season.....no...no thats not it either...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Got beeped:

Sheesh, welcome to the party, WaPo. They should give credit to the Times for this byline.
I think the potential leadership void in the locker room this year is a legitimate concern. They have lost a lot of veteran presence this offseason. And they have a bunch of young turks who need guidance...
Posted by: McMetal | June 4, 2009 4:17 PM

Yeah! If only I had known sooner! Just yesterday I bet a guy at work $1000 that Thrash was gonna catch 100 balls this year and get 20 TD’s….if only WaPo had broken this sooner (I don’t read the times). DAMN YOU WASHINGTON POST! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Two Betts post and no mention of MArcus Mason?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I still have Denver in six, and them winning game two decisively.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2009 4:00 PM

Lake show in six baby... Kobe, Kobe, Kobe...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 3, 2009 12:09 PM

The song of the frequent front runner. Hah!

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 4, 2009 11:57 AM

Front run these nuts in your mouth at full throttle, ass.

Oh and, nice copy and past job there, you overpressed d-bag...

How about my reasoning for choosing the Lakers to win the finals was becasue they were actually able to get past the Nuggets (which I didn't think LA could do).

Maybe me picking the Lakers to win the finals has everything to do with Orlando, and nothing to do with the Nuggets. Hence, if the Nuggets were playing in the finals, I would've chose them.

How about you try and comprehend, or (this is a big one here) THINK, before you post that bullsh*t first.

And how pressed do you look going back into time to find posts that were days apart from each other; do you wanna f*@% or something?

And before you accuse me of the same thing, I only had to go a couple of threads back... you know, them being on the same day and all. Not a whole damn 13 days.

You must live a pretty damn pathetic life, AntonChigurh. Get a new one ASA-f'n-P.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

From Cooley on FB via Tanner....

Chris Cooley TC: Zorn said today that he got tears in his eyes watching the punt team. He guaranteed that the Skins wouldn't be 32 in kicking game.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh I am so glad JCC is gone. Thank you post, it is very nice to see just reports about redskins, instead of their personal grudges...

Posted by: capitolteacher | June 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capitolteacher | June 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

(Marcus) Mason Persuasion

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

From Cooley on FB via Tanner....
Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:31 PM

Reminds me of that old Cheers episode where they all start enthusiastically cheering/chanting “Gary didn’t win! Gary didn’t win!” Or something to that affect....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 4, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

From Cooley on FB via Tanner....
Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:31 PM

Thirty-first isn't that much of an improvement; no wonder he was crying.

Posted by: Megskin | June 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

There is also a secret society of RI regulars who seem to be hyper obsessed with the United Football League.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The kicking game alone cost us at least a game or two last year which can be the difference of a playoff spot in a tough division.

Heres hoping...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 4, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

wasnt this first posted by the redskins blog?

Posted by: mehtadman87 | June 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, AntonChigurh! I gotta question for you -- it may hurt your head a little even:

How in hell am I a front runner, if I am a fan of the Washington Redskins, Wizards, and Nationals?

Answer me that and you'll recieve RI complimentary baby wipes for all that running sh*t that seeps out of that hole in your face when you talk.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Thirty-first isn't that much of an improvement; no wonder he was crying.

Posted by: Megskin | June 4, 2009 4:41 PM

While I thought the same thing, I am not going to beat that drum of negativity just yet.

The only thing I am negative on starting out for the year is not having replaced Betts over the past 3 years.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Glad Betts is healthy. Maybe now we can trade him. For those who think Cartwright is worthless, think about his value on special teams. Then think about how valuable Betts is when he fumbles on 3rd down late in the game.

Posted by: CJHutch7673 | June 4, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

It seems like the whole team is old.

Skins are going to have a monster year this year (or they will not)

either way I can say I was right.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 4, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

One minute people are here shedding tears for the old, broken down players who are getting no return from their contribution to the league. Now everybody's carrying the league's water on not allowing players to have an offseason to refresh themselves.

The Edge (in his prime) to SI: "In the meantime, from January to July, James is primarily engaged in the pursuit of pleasure. Criticized last week by Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and coach Jim Mora for skipping voluntary workouts, James scoffed, saying, 'It's crazy how everybody's making a big deal out of nothing. I've been working out on my own—hell, I'm 213 pounds [three pounds below his playing weight last year], with one percent body fat—and I know what's right for me. I only went to college for 2 years, but I think I know the meaning of the word voluntary. My attitude is, I give them whatever they want during the season, but the off-season belongs to me.' "

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

jmicrodoc = Bruce the hugger

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It seems like the whole team is old.
Skins are going to have a monster year this year (or they will not)
either way I can say I was right.
Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 4, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Thats actually untrue. I did the math and posted the #s yesterday. The teams average years of experience in the NFL is 4.24 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

jmicrodoc = Bruce the hugger

Posted by: the_shocker1

LoL...

the_shocker1 = Meaty Thighs...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 4, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

To me Betts is adequate, but from what I saw last year Mason has a better "burst", but I hear he's not a good blocker, blitz picker upper, and that's why he's always been on someone's practice squad?

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 4, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 4, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Does this average include a number of young players who will likely end up on the practice squad?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | June 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

betts, thrash, cartwright, randle el - hopefully skins can upgrade all those positions soon

Posted by: coparker5 | June 4, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Cartwright is not a contributor on the offensive side of the ball, but, before the Redskins say good-bye to him they need to have a legitimate kick returner. Let's face it, Cartwright is a decent kick returner. Last year they couldn't find anyone better and there's the hitch in the plan to keep Mason as a third running back. I think Aldridge has a chance to take the job as both kick/punt returner, but then, keeping him around would mean he's the third running back and that still doesn't open a spot for Mason. Zorn wants a scatback to be used in a role similar to Sproles in San Diego, so look for either Aldridge or Dorsey to make the team - especially if they can supplant Cartwright as a kick returner. The team could carry four running backs, which might not be a bad idea after last year's desperate signing of Sean Alexander, but that means one less roster spot held at another position. Maybe they can carry one less linebacker, since they should have a few hybrids that can swing from DE to LB. Whatever they do, I think it starts with finding a decent kick returner and Mason continuing to show he is developing (he needs to improve his blocking on blitzes for a legit shot).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 5, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse