Betts does rehab with a training camp target

Injured running back Ladell Betts plans to hang around Ashburn this offseason with the hopes of rehabbing and being ready for the start of next year's training camp.

Betts tore his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments Nov. 22 at Dallas and has spent the past five weeks on injured reserves, but he was back at Redskins Park today. He said it takes some guys up to a full year to recover from the injury, but he's hoping he can be ready in six months.

"I think they're trying to get me ready for training camp," Betts said.

He'll spend the offseason working out in Ashburn, with occasional trips to visit his surgeon, renowned orthopedist James Andrews. Betts will have company at Redskins Park. Defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon tore his ACL on Nov. 29 at Philadelphia.

"It's kind of a blessing in disguise that both of us got hurt around the same time because now we'll have each other to be competitive and push each other to get back, as opposed to just being by yourself," Betts said.

Betts' injury came at the most unfortunate of times. He's been playing behind Clinton Portis since Portis arrived in town in 2004. Portis suffered a concussion on Nov. 8 at Atlanta, and Betts finally had his chance to start. He had 70 yards and a touchdown in relief of Portis in that Atlanta game, and 114 yards and another touchdown in his first start a week later against Denver. He had only four carries against the Cowboys, though, before suffering the season-ending injury.

"I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason," Betts said. "I got a chance to carry the load for two games really. Unfortunately, I got hurt. It's part of the nature of our business, and now I'm on the road to recovery and focusing on playing again."

By Rick Maese  |  December 30, 2009; 2:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher philosphical about Pro Bowl vote
Next: With Heyer hurting, Redskins shuffle line again (updated)

Comments

Adios, Ladell, best of luck wherever you land in 2010, and best of luck with the rehab...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 30, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Additional point about Rodgers - he may have the sacks but if you watch the games you'll see plenty of times when he has lots of protection and time. With him it's a mixed bag of great protection and getting blitzed and smothered.

JC on the otherhand gets pressure every down from a 4 man rush, meaning there's lots of defenders still on his receivers.

I'm saying it's not apples to apples, at all, not even close. The comparison based on sacks alone is ignorant.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

You don't have to be an elite QB to win super bowls in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV

17 of the last 20 Superbowls were won by "elite" QB's. I suppose you COULD win with an average QB, but the stats are stacked against you.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz |

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wait…..Betts is still on the team? I thought that they traded him on his 30th b-day…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

carried over from previous thread.....

You don't have to be an elite QB to win super bowls in the NFL.

Posted by: RedDMV

Red,

I'm comparing these two because both O-lines have been terrible, in fact Rodgers has been sacked more than JC. I compare them as a testament to the fact a good QB can get it done in spite of a lousy line.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Rex,

Now don't get to name calling, it's a sure sign of a weak arguement. I think if Rodgers were on our team as currently constituted, he'd have much better numbers than JC. The wr's would all of a sudden look better and the record would be better. Even the running game would improve.
If you don't agree with that, then agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan, I just don't understand how you presume to know that it's Rodgers making his coaches, receivers, and running backs look better as opposed to the other way around. I guess it's just a feeling you have.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Okay, well lets start at baby steps since this is a 4 win team.

You don't have to be an elite QB to win in the NFL, peroid. Very average QBs have won double digit wins and taken their teams into the playoffs.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 30, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Rex,

This blog is full of folks like you and I that have opinions. Mine have been formed after watching 4 decades worth of pro and college football. I am smart enough to recognize I don't have all the answers, but I also believe I have a good eye for a talented QB and what they can do for a team.
On the previous thread someone suggested JC should be compared to Mark Sanchez? I don't see that at all comparing a 5/6 year veteran with a rookie QB? Sorry.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

What a refreshing change of attitude -- someone who actually wants to work in the off season and pre-season so he can be ready to play when it couunts.

Of course, even for all of that effort, mine and Danny's money are still on CP26 -- the perennial no show for all such off/pre-/ongoing season conditioning and preparation -- to be the starting RB in 2010.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 30, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm expecting that both Betts and Portis are coming back stronger than ever next year! Portis has everything to play for like the HOF, and he will have his best off-season ever! He will also want to prove to the new coach (Shanahan?) that he is the best feature back around. Betts wants to prove that he should be the feature back for the Redskins and so he will be working twice as hard as Portis! Competition will be good for these two men and for the Redskins! HTTR!

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 30, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I hear next year we are running the "Wild Cougar" Offense. It's the same as the "Wildcat" just all of our RB's will be over 30.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | December 30, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have the Packers offensive coaches instead of Zorn and them...

Campbell isn't elite. This is a known fact by now. To compare him to Rodgers is laughable.

Of course the Redskins would probably win more games with Rodgers.. he's better than Campbell... Rodgers is an elite QB.

You want an elite QB? Go and get one. Let me know how that search works out for you.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

you don't have to be an elite QB to win but you have to have IT. most QB's who wint he SB have IT. dilfer had IT. brad johnson had IT. unfortunately eli has IT and a whole lot of luck to go with IT.

on the other side you have people like drew bledsoe with all the talent in the world but they didn't have IT. ohh and our favorite qb doesn't have IT either.

IT cannot be described only felt. :)

Posted by: dealer1 | December 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

IT cannot be described only felt and seen...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

1965,

I think Rodgers does look a lot better, but I still think it JC is in such a different situation that it's pointless to compare the two.

Rodgers studied the system he was in for years before he went into it, same coaches, team chemistry and consistency. Everything about Rodger's situation says "set up for success". Everything about JC's says "set up for failure".

Their lines are the ONLY thing they have in common, and even there one could argue GB's is better based on their rushing stats.

I just think you're really diminishing the roles of everyone else as it relates to the QB's success.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

IT cannot be described only felt. :)

Posted by: dealer1 | December 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh I can define IT pretty easy.

IT= great team + good coaching + right scheme for the QB's skill set + luck!!!!!!

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Last offseason, Jay Cutler was described as having IT. Then he went to a crappy team and IT seems to have stayed in Denver.

IT's name is Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Red,

You are making my argument for me. The team is in for a multi-year rebuild and while JC may work with superior talent at all positions around him, I think we ought to try to get a new QB with "it" to rebuild with.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Rex,

you could be right my friend. I probably am diminishing the roles of the supporting cast.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 30, 2009 2:52 PM |

IT = Information Technology. We all got it, some of these guys don't.

Posted by: League-Source | December 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Posted by: OptimisticOne | December 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So if Times shuts down, do you get Elfin or O'Halloran and dump Reid?

It's the time of the year for changes

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So if Times shuts down, do you get Elfin or O'Halloran and dump Reid?

It's the time of the year for changes

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

So if Times shuts down, do you get Elfin or O'Halloran and dump Reid?

It's the time of the year for changes

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan,

And I think Rodgers probably is better than JC, but take him out of GB and I don't think he's carrying a team like the Skins to the playoffs. I don't think he's that much better. I think he's like Jay Cutler, he's just in his perfect fit right now, like Cutler was before.

Posted by: REXskins | December 30, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Red,

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If you bring in a rookie QB to immediately start in this mess, you have wasted a draft pick. If you bring a rookie QB in to learn the system and start in a couple of seasons, then you need a QB who can:

1) Take punishment and bounce back.
2) Help mentor the young QB.

In this situation, you keep Campbell because there is no better alternative out there, at the moment, and because he could still blossom into a very good QB in the right circumstances.

Of course all of our arguments are moot because whoever is brought in as a head coach will most likely have the biggest input as to whether Campbell wil stay or go.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | December 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ladell's rehab goes well, but I don't think they should bring him back. We need a speed back desperately.

Also, I hate the comparison of Rodgers & JCamp as well. Rodgers o-line is much better than the skins'. I remember there being some discord within the Packers' this season about how their o-line was being thrown under the bus because Rodgers holds onto the ball too long. Also, do the skins have any receivers better than Driver or Jennings? How about Ryan Grant? Finley & Lee are good TEs too. Rodgers supporting cast is much much better than the Skins.

Posted by: phk28 | December 30, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you don't actually watch the Packers play. The sacks number is misleading. The lines are completely different. The Packers are only week in the right tackle position and somewhat at right guard but that's mostly due to the right tackle. Alan Barbre was the main culprit. Now that he's gone the sacks have been leveling off. What Rodgers ends up with is a decent pocket to throw out of. He can also roll to the left or step up into the pocket to make a play. JC does not have this. JC can't go left because Heyer/Jones gets beat on that side. JC can't step into the pocket because Rabach and the right guard of the week get blown into the backfield on every play. Aaron Rodgers does not have to deal with this. Rodgers also takes a lot of his sacks around the 4 second mark. That's 1.5-2 seconds after JC gets sacked. In addition, Rodgers has more experienced receivers, a better coach, and a great running game to help take the pressure off.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 30, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Betts is a WARRIOR and has my respect!
He should have been the starter last year and previous years and he can get it done given the chance. Sadly, at 30 coming of a serious injury,he may never get another shot.
I hope he can remain here after getting healthy. Ladell, you are a stand up guy who always put your best effort on the field. Wish I could say that for some others,

Posted by: jshavatt | December 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind betts coming back and healing quickly but portis and him? only one should be back with this team..draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round someone with power and speed and fix the o-line.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 30, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse