Betts Excused From Practice/Injury Update

Time to tie up some loose ends at the end of the day:

RB Ladell Betts missed practice due to a death in the family, but will be back for practice Friday, Coach Jim Zorn said.

TE Chris Cooley (quad) was limited in practice and took it easy at times as a precaution, Zorn said, but is set to play Sunday.

FS Kareem Moore (hamstring) is not yet 100 percent, Zorn said, and he could need another weekend of rest before making his NFL debut.

The highlight of practice came at the end, when the defensive backs ran through ball catching drills (you probably recall the spate of dropped INTs against the Giants). Zorn, the three quarterbacks and assistant equipment manager Chris Collins (no relation to Todd) were stationed in a line, and the defensive backs started with their back to the passers, and turned to catch the first pass, then quickly darted to the right and left to continue doing so, five times in all. Most of the players fared well, though corner Fred Smoot dropped three balls the first time, before going back and catching all five. (Carlos Rogers caught all five balls, for the interested parties out there).

Zorn likes the drill because the ball is coming from different angles and locations, mimicking game action, and is thrown by an actual quarterback (for the most part) rather than a ball machine. The defenders also had to break toward the ball late, having it quickly upon them, rather than just facing a Juggs gun and catching the same ball over and over again.

"These are realistic things that happen in a game," Zorn said of the drill.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 11, 2008; 3:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley Back as Practice Begins
Next: Redskins Leaning to the Left

Comments

Sup now?

Posted by: EinVB | September 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

++++ LB Marcus Washington is dealing with a hamstring problem. Zorn says he expects him to play and is optimistic, but it will be a game-time decision. +++

Hamstring, Hip.
Nothing to see here. Move along, as in MW move along please; last season here; wrong side of 30; not staying healthy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

4th!

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Also Jack, I disagree with your assesment on JLaC.

As a man, he is a good man.

As a redskin Beat Reporter, well..........the masses tend to agree. I don't side with anons who blindside him with creul and unusual words. But I call it like I see it with as he does. Where's the problem? He has an established track record for over 2 years of different analysis from various sources...

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:45 PM

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sweeny - Can I get that link to that scum bucket Whitlock, please?

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually p he's talking sense but isn't smart enough to stop arguing with you since you seem to insist on defying logic.

4 Super Bow, 3 Super Bowls Wins, 74 Pro Bowl selections. 62 of which are not named Brady.

As opposed to zero for the Skins. You can ignore the facts all you want but it won't make them go away.

The Pats are definitely helped immensely by the Brady but Brady was no world beater before the Pats.

If winning=better and winning more than anyone else=best then the Pats have been the best for some time now. No stupid arguments change that.

Posted by: Bob Kraft | September 11, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Nooo that's not what I was saying. But it's sure nice that the list of offensive players you mention were installed AROUND Peyton Manning. Except for Marvin Harrison who didn't break 1000 yards receiving or have double-digit TDs until AFTER Peyton got there. Or Marshall Faulk who was drafted 2 overall and making NCAA records - yeah, it took a crack scouting staff to make that selection.

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 3:39 PM

So Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai, Jeff Saturday, Tarik Glenn, and Dallas Clark are all not special players. Got it.

And Marshall Faulk was a sure-fire 1st-ballot HOF at #2 overall. Good thing that cracking staff at Cleveland decided to pick Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson at #1.

And it's good thing our FO was on top of their game that day. Salivating for Heath Shuler at #3? Whew, that was a brilliant one.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 3:49 PM

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the coach setting up a different drill for the DB's to work on their stone hands. Maybe they had enough bricks to build a house.

Posted by: Butterfinger Drill | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Fessing up...ughm guys, actually I never did play with a DT named Cole Slaw. I lied about this last week and I have had a hard time sleeping since. I'm sorry.

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
brought to you again this week by Yahoo!

I was reflecting on many of the things I've learned along the way, this stuck out as one of the more useful:

Just because she is ugly, it doesn't mean she has a good personality.

And that's ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, brought to you again by Yahoo!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't P.O.W. a kick-ass videogame for Nintendo back in the day?

Posted by: POW | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I still can't figure out how drafting Tom Brady somehow diminishes the abilities of the Front Office. It astounds me.

This has gone on long enough though. So what about that team...the uh...you know the ones in Red and Gold..

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I had a feeling when they started mentioning Marcus' hip... Precautionary...? Whatever... Man, has he been a big dissappointment the past 2 years. He's nothing like his former self prior to this string of injuries... He had a hamstring problem last season and was basically done... never did much at all.

Posted by: EinVB | September 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

heard ya the first time POW

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 3:52 PM

The 49ers? Bill Walsh was a great coach, but he sure knew how to draft 'em.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"The Pats are definitely helped immensely by the Brady but Brady was no world beater before the Pats"

This statement made me laugh.

If Brady was no world beater before the Pats, what was I???

Posted by: Bill Belichick | September 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Zephyr/zjfr2, I fear we've reached the point where anyone who states anything remotely positive about Jason Campbell is said to be "making excuses" for him. Ah well...

The point I was trying to make with that post about Brees' won-lost record through first 21 pro starts was simply that those first 21 games don't necessarily indicate how we'll ultimately perceive the player.

Again, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Jason Campbell. And I'm choosing to be optimistic that the verdict will be in the Redskins' favor, because I don't want the opposite to be true. And I do this while acknowledging that he has plenty of improvement to make!

There are others who have already made up their minds about Campbell, and others who have not done so but who are more pessimistic about him than I choose to be. And their opinions are based on a body of work comprising only 21 games. We hear from them all the time up here. I'm just trying to provide another viewpoint :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

How good can the Pats be, I mean, heck, the Ol' Ball coach beat em....and that was back when I had guys like Trung Candidate, and Roddy G...

Posted by: Steve Spurrier | September 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I recall many years back, when the 49ers picked a guy for position where they already had two really good starters. So why did they need another WR and who is this Jerry Rice guy they traded up for anyway?

DOH!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

So basically you're telling me we have 1 Full strength Starting caliber LB... This is a mess.

LFB - He's good to go.

MW - Hip/Hamstring, probably more to come.
Rocky - Coming off the knee.
HB - Coming off the knee scope.
Campbell - Thigh.

RESULT = We're in big trouble there!

Posted by: EinVB | September 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't P.O.W. a kick-ass videogame for Nintendo back in the day?

Posted by: POW | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM

Absolutely. Along with:

* Skate or Die
* ArchRivals
* Kung Fu
* Metriod
* Megaman
* John Elway's Football

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I know its College football, but what are peoples thoughts on this whole getting a NCAA Bowl Game in DC?

As happy as I am that we get one, I think the attempt to force it to be Navy or to a lesser extent Army vs a low ranked ACC team stinks.

It seams incredibly biased, in a pathetic sort of way, to try and give Navy an near automatic bowl.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on us getting a Bowl Game in DC?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

This statement made me laugh.

If Brady was no world beater before the Pats, what was I???

Posted by: Bill Belichick | September 11, 2008 3:55 PM

I don't get it what's funny about that? Is it the fact that Brady was by all accounts an average QB in college or is it more smoke and mirrors trying to change the subject. Did I say anything about Bill Belicheat? Oh right I forgot it's those facts again.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Carlos will get a pick this Sunday.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason's Campbell's future with the Redskins will be determined by how much the commitment is made to the system vs how much commitment is made to getting the most from the players.

To me, you adapt systems to players. If that means less WCO plays and more shotgun, then you call more shotgun. But Vinny is out on a limb for the WCO and my guess is that Zorn is out there with him. We'll see if Zorn crawls back a bit.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

When did I or anybody say Tom Brady and Kordell Stewart are the same?

I said it doesn't make a difference if they had Tom Brady or Kordell Stewart as their QB, their FO's put their teams in a position to win. This is meant to be a stark contrast between the two QBs, not an equivalent comparison. The Steelers had a season where they went 13-3 with Kordell Stewart, and it had nothing to do with him being a "special player".

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 3:37 PM

I didn't say you did. Me, I don't throw indirect shots or come at you sideways. If I was directing my post at you, I would've addressed you in that post. I can't remember who said it, but I know it wasn't you. It'd contradict your stance.

You've giving me something to talk about on an otherwise boring ass day. Thanks, psps, seriously.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Aparently there is a few minute delay in the posting mechinism.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

JC's career with the Skins may well be riding on this game. If he tanks this one there is a good chance we start 1-5, at which point the chorus for Colt will reach a cacophany.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bob Kraft | September 11, 2008 3:49 PM

Whatever, dude. "Defying logic!".

I've been saying that the Pats have Brady to thank for being the key cog in delivering them 3 championships. They got lucky on him. Go see how many of your buddies think that is a "stupid argument". How about we have this conversation again after the end of this Brady-less season - is that "logical" enough for you?

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Ok, honest opinions.....do these look fake?

Posted by: Judge Judy | September 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

wow...enough patriots talk already....who cares???????

Marcus Washington is done. I said the other day, I know we have a number or thin positions, but to me the LB core is the thinnest and weakest.

I am soooo glad we have a coach who is creative in new practice drills....first we won the off seasons, now we are practice beasts!!!!!!!

"Games, we talkin' about games"

Posted by: cHrIs LaRrY | September 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Sure p we can have it then. Just so we're clear though for now. Your argument is that not only does having what may be the single greatest pick of all time not make you a good front office. What it does is actually diminish your other accomplishments by negating them including those defensive picks who are never even on the same field as Brady.. Gotcha.

I think we understand each other now.

Posted by: Bob Kraft | September 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Let me know when you guys need me back, my knees are feeling good, and the food services industry is awful....

Posted by: Lavar | September 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Here is what CP had to say about JC:

"You know, I think Jason should just go out and continue playing his game and let it loose," Portis said. "Once he make a mistake I think he get into that idea of he let us down. He's not letting us down. Give us the opportunity to win. Go out and sling the ball for 70 yards when it's a slant. Shake off [the play] at the line, call a go route.

"If I've got Santana Moss out here one-on-one, then, you know, I'll deal with coach yelling at me from checking out of that play when I get back to the sideline, compared to 'Oh, I want to do it, but I don't do it, [and] all the sudden we punting the ball off.

"I mean, you're not always gonna have the best call when you walk up to the line of scrimmage, but I think Jason's got to find the call when he's got the opportunity to change things. And, you know, coach gonna get upset sometimes, and the media and the teammates and everything else gonna get upset, but at the same time you've got to go out and play football, you can't make this a hard game. I think he's very capable of leading this team. Just let it all hang out."

Next came the carefree defensiveness.

"Y'all don't think highly of me," he said to Smokin' Al Koken and Brian Mitchell. "It's a lot of people don't think highly of me. When I go out and play football, I play the way I know how to play. Criticism gonna come. So what? I don't care. It's not gonna change how I live, it's not gonna change how I dress, and it damn is sure not gonna change how I play football. That's the only way I know how to play, that's the way I'm gonna go out and play. I'll deal with it later."

Next came more advice for anti-coach insurrection from his quarterback:

"You get into that mode of listening listening listening, and you want to go out and you want to take three steps, and you want to pump fake with both hands on the ball, then you want to drop back and take two more steps and throw the ball over the top of the defender that's trying to get it and make the ball be perfect. Sometimes you're not gonna do it, you might see a blitz coming, instead of taking three steps and pump faking, you gotta take five steps, roll out and just sling the ball. You know, if they pick it off, they pick it off. We got got a talented defense.

"If they don't, as long as you give our receivers a chance to make plays. You know, you look at all the other games--you see young guys, rookies, DeSean Jackson, the guy from Denver, have big days. Those guys are talented, but you can't tell me those guys are Santana Mosses or those guys are Antwaan Randle Els or Chris Cooleys of the NFL. They gonna be talented, they're gonna have the opportunity, but right now the receiving corps we have, I think if you put them in position to make plays, they can deliver and give you the same results."

And finally came the offer to play the role of the madly chucking QB in flag football:

"When everybody talk bad about me, 'Ok, well now it's me against the world, now I've got to prove to everybody that I CAN do it.' So if Jason adapt to that same motto and just go out and let it hang loose....I mean, I'll take the same knock from going out playing flag football. If you ask me, I'll throw it up and my receivers will have an opportunity. And, you know, I'll go from there."

Posted by: a fan | September 11, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"LB Marcus Washington is dealing with a hamstring problem. Zorn says he expects him to play and is optimistic, but it will be a game-time decision."

Wuuuhhhh, wuuuuhhhh, wuuuuuuhhhh.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The Pats play in a sissy division and won their bowls by whiskers over so-so opposition. Don't you dare, dare compare them to the 70s Steelers, 80s Skins and Niners and 90s Boys! Go soak you're head in Chowdah and get your mind right.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I think what CP is saying is what I feel. The kid is being over coached. Let him play.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 4:00 PM

Yea, I realized it wasn't you, but since yours was the one I saw reference it, I responded.

I don't even know what I'm arguing anymore.

Reggie Bush is the key to the Saints offense and is the most dangerous player they have. The Patriots are a well-run franchise. Scouting, drafting, or acquiring players for your team is a skill, which is why some teams consistently do it better than others.

Agree to disagree with everyone on everything.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Portis. And so begins the Forlorn with Zorn movement

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boogie | September 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 11, 2008 3:55 PM

Nate, I won't say my mind is made up, but I will say it has shifted to skepticism and a "show me Bama" (great scene in remember the Titans, 4th quarter, 4th quarter, 4th quarter) mentality. Soups in his 4th year now, its time to stop blaming everything but him and start asking is this guy capable? I'm not asking for Brady, or Peyton, or Brees type games. I'm asking for moving the ball consistently and posing a legitimate enough threat that CP has some room. Right now he aint there, and the truth is he should be at this point regardless of the system. And from your earlier post, Brees and LT were rookies together on a very bad team and did well to win what they did, it LT before he was LT, he became LT in year three when they found Gates and a decent Oline and Brees became Brees when that happened too. JC has existed on a team that by all accounts has had an above average line until now, and has had Moss, Cooley, and CP the whole time in their primes.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell you what my office would look like if I could get my hands on a 'Juggs Gun'

[:-o

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

How about this: Line up Jason Campbell in the slot (he's tall enough) two tight ends, play CP and ARE in a shotgun formation...
Hey, it's an A-11.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I will say it has shifted to skepticism and a "show me Bama" attitude

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:22 PM

Drop it with JC. We need more evidence. Let the guy play and see what he delivers. Move on. There's plenty of time before a judgement is necessary on this man that you term a "Bama".

Find something else to bore us with.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

wow those are some strong words by CP. That doesn't sound gooD. I have to say I agree with Portis, I thought it was telling when they had that shot Thursday where he was talking to Zorn, and it was like "do this, run this"

You design gameplans/schemes to the talent you have, not fit the talent to preconcieved schemes...isn't that coaching 101?

Posted by: cHrIs LaRrY | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I didn't term him a "Bama", it was a quote as I referenced from Denzel in Remember the Titans, I would have thought someone so critical could at least read properly.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

have heard the term "Bama" lots. guessing its not a complement. what is it mean?

Posted by: Obviously anon (and white) | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous at 4:32pm, though I agree with you on continuing to evaluate Campbell, I wouldn't characterize Zephyr the way you did.

For one thing, I think that "Bama" line was a movie reference.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ok here is a madlib for everyone.

I will not go to the Eagle Bank Bowl at RFK if __________ and would rather see ________ against ________.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM

Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack: You are boring, monotonous, tedious, repetitive, and puffed up. You have a closed mind and you have to have the last word on everything.

I can read properly. Now why don't you learn to write properly?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:22 PM

------------------------------------------

Sorry zjfr2, but I wouldn't call what JC had last year, his first full year as a starter, an above average line. In fact, I'd call it a below average line, only coming together at the end of the season when JC was injured.

Posted by: swb | September 11, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obviously anon (and white) | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM

Honestly, I have no idea, I wasn't trying to make a statement about JC, I was talking about a great scene in a good movie where Denzel was berating his players to show him what they were made of, and was trying to say that's what my attitude towards JC is, its time to show it, that's all.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Awesome drill. Do you think ARE could have been a better choice than the equipment manager?

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

if you could read properly you wouldn't have said I called him any name, cause I didn't, and if you have the nerve to be personal in your criticism of other bloggers you should have the nerve to identify yourself, too, and why am I an more boring or monotonous than the Patriots discourse for the last 3 threads, at least I'm talking about the Redskins on the RI blog

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obviously anon (and white) | September 11, 2008 4:37 PM
---------------------------

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:39 PM

Eh, sorry to say, but that definition is about 10-12 years old.

The term 'Bama' has evoled into the person rather the clothes.

It's the way you do things or what you do that make you a bama.

If you did something stupid, that's some bama siht.

If you act like the Truth did in 3rd person, you'se a bama dude.

I would go into it further, but trying to keep it as PC as possible.

One of my favorite terms that comes out of my mouth has the word bama in it.......

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

{thoughtless and critical comment about other blogger.}

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

{comment about the other crummy comments}

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I just about cried looking over this....

Worst Draft Ever :

2003 NFL Draft

Round 2 #44 Overall - Taylor Jacobs WR Florida

Roudn 3 #81 Overall - Derrick Dockey G Texas

Round 7 #232 Overall - Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

was there ever a draft that was worse?

I have mentally blocked these things out of my head, so when I look back it always catches me off guard.

pitiful!

Posted by: The Truth | September 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

{strong opinion about football, based on strong opinion about football}

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ala...bama?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"If you act like the Truth did in 3rd person, you'se a bama dude.

I would go into it further, but trying to keep it as PC as possible.

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 4:47 PM "

HI HATER HI HATER HI HATER HI HATER

Posted by: The Truth | September 11, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not here to talk about the past...idiot

Posted by: Mark McGuire | September 11, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth | September 11, 2008 4:49 PM

Well Dockerry was useful when he was here, and has turned into a compensatory 3rd round pick, which I believe was traded with the 1st rounder to pick up two 2nds. I believe Dockerry has translated in one of either Devin Thomas or Fred Davis. If either work out, Dockerry was part of the equation.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The term bama as Denzel Washington used it was an insult -- a stupid, African American from the rural south -- Alabama, shortened to 'Bama. Yeah, it's evolved but "Remember the Titans" was set in an earlier era, before it evolved, and the meaning was unmistakable except to Zipper.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

if I had said JC is a bama who can't play football, then you'd be right. Secondly, I highly doubt that was what he meant in the movie considering it was set in a fairly urban/northern city of Alexandria, VA and finally in my post when I referenced the quote you can take that as a huge indicator that I was quoting a scene in a movie not calling anybody names.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I want to say more but that's all I've got. I've got more, but not yet. When I have more, you'll be the first to know. I'm here, we're ready, but there's nothing more to say right now. But when I do, you will, it's all good, so that's that.

Posted by: Slobberknocker | September 11, 2008 3:09 PM

Notwithstanding the valiant late day efforts by stumped in the [Fill In The Blank] Category, the Committee awards this Slobberknocker post as the daily winner in the category of Best Prototype of a RI Regular Blog Post.

Posted by: Awards Committee | September 11, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

4th, I didn't say I agreed with the guy (like Florio did), I said it was thought provoking. That said, here is that note from your pal, Whitlock:

Posted by: dcsween | September 11, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

when u call a timeout with no timeouts left...ur a bama

when u really think colt brennan is a better option at qb than campbell, well...ur a bama

when your a cowboys fan with no dallas affiliations...ur a bama

if your a redskins fan...but then a lakers fan in basketball...ur a bama...

these are just a few examples

Posted by: jason | September 11, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

so bama = nerd, dork, geek, lame

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

so gibbs is a bama then?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

when your an anonymous jerk who can't read and are critical to other people who have every right to their opinion....you're a bama

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

maybe this is a good time to start the redskins insider version of the bama of the week, week, week....those who listened to huggy low down in the mornings know what i'm talking about...

well without further ado...this weeks bama of the week, week, week is.....

drumroll please....

Jim Zorn...for not having a hurry up/no huddle offense installed after 5 weeks of training camp/practices...and thats one extra week than all the other football teams in the leage except the colts...

Posted by: jason/mimic/jjmat84 | September 11, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:11 PM

When you're calling black quarterbacks from Auburn "bama" you're a bigot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

ur a bama if you are a professional football player who tries to take himself out of the game, all because your fans have booed u...

Posted by: jason/mimic/jjmat84 | September 11, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

When you're calling black quarterbacks from Auburn "bama" you're a bigot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 5:13 PM

if somebody had done that you'd be so right, but since nobody did, you're still way off.....good try though

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

kinda funny though that apparently according to the urban dictionary the term originated in D.C.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

when your a cowboys fan with no dallas affiliations...ur a bama

if your a redskins fan...but then a lakers fan in basketball...ur a bama...

these are just a few examples

Posted by: jason | September 11, 2008 5:04 PM

AMEN!!! Especially about the non-Dallas Dallas fans. Every now and then I get into a friendly mix with a local Cowboys-paraphenalia-wearing fella. I ask him what part of Texas he's from, and he stares at me blankly like I just asked him to do some trigonometry.

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

can todd collins or chris cooley ever be called a bama?

Posted by: still trying to figure it out | September 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

When you claim that a team is doing "handstands and cartwheels" because of an injury to a player.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

can todd collins or chris cooley ever be called a bama?

Posted by: still trying to figure it out | September 11, 2008 5:17 PM

according to the dictionary yes, although it originated in the African American culture, it isn't a race related term, it is a derogatory term but not race related. And the fact that it originally meant that some doesn't dress properly makes even more sense of why it was used in the movie since that was what Denzel first got on all of the payers about "there aint a bum on the street that looks as ragged as what I see here" so it even further goes to point out that the anonymous poster doesn't know what they're talking about and can't read.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Getting off of the bama talk for a bit...

So the Colts didn't look particularly great on Sunday night. The Redskins also didn't look particularly great in their first game this past Thursday.

Do you guys think this has anything to do with the fact that both teams had to play 5 preseason games, or is this just coincidence?

I'm going with coincidence, but its an interesting thought.

Posted by: swb | September 11, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 5:17 PM

That happens quite a bit here in Ohio, too.
I guess since they have never really had a winner here it's okay to pick whichever team is most popular at the moment.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 5:22 PM

And 'dem Cowpukes haven't even won so much as a single playoff game in a dozen years, so the joke is totally on those BAMAS!!

Posted by: i think i figured it out... | September 11, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

So what is an O Bama?

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 11, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

swb, I think the Colts has more to do with Peyton was hurt the whole preseason and was without his pro bowl center who apparently in there system has to translate all of Peyton's pre-snap mumbo jumbo to the lineman, which I didn't know that lineman speak different languages but apparently in Indiana they do.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

So what is an O Bama?

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 11, 2008 5:26 PM

A community organizer that gives real nice speeches and is horribly under qualified to run a country as Hilary proved by whoompin his tail in every debate he had the nerve to show up to.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the Colts lost b/c their run defense is still a sieve and when healthy the Bears defense is still creative and dynamic.

But what do I know...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 11, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"If you act like the Truth did in 3rd person, you'se a bama dude.

I would go into it further, but trying to keep it as PC as possible.

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 4:47 PM "

HI HATER HI HATER HI HATER HI HATER

Posted by: The Truth | September 11, 2008 4:51 PM

Hey, Don't hate me. I'm just saying, if you came around like that, peoplpe would say you a bama dude talking like fake Rock.

"It is what it is."

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

CL is very correct, with Mike Brown and Tommie Harris back they looked dominant.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

when u call a timeout with no timeouts left...ur a bama

when your a cowboys fan with no dallas affiliations...ur a bama

if your a redskins fan...but then a lakers fan in basketball...ur a bama...

these are just a few examples

Posted by: jason | September 11, 2008 5:04 PM

Right on Point. And I know a lot of these type Bamas!

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

so bama = nerd, dork, geek, lame

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 5:08 PM

Lame, Maybe.

Nerd, Dork, Geek - No. They're still Nerds, Dorks, and Geeks. My wife puts me in the Nerd category.

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I think bama is very similar to scrub.

btw - the urban dictionary is off.. just off.

it says bomba clot is a rag you wear on your head ROFLMFAO!!!

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Denzel was XO on the USS 'Bama ... for those who know what that means

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

On RI, a "Bama" ought to be called an "UGA", oughtn't it?

Posted by: in best Morgan Freeman voice | September 11, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

+++WR Malcolm Kelly is "on his way" Zorn said in his return from knee surgery, but the coach said the team still may keep him inactive against the Saints.--JASNO+++

About that 8-10 balls? Never mind. He's a bum.

Posted by: Glass 1/100,000ths Full Corkczar | September 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 11, 2008 4:59 PM

Sween - Just finished reading the article.

Wow....Just Wow....

So, I, a person who has NEVER HAD A FATHER FIGURE should never be given an opportunity to be an NFL QB?!?!

When I get home I'll be sending him an email. I'll attach you on it if you like because this Bama A$$ MoFo (Favorite Term) has a Mutafriggin problem with black people, especially ones who grew up in the 'hood'/'ghetto' without a father figure because they all will bring down your corporation, which in this case is the NFL.

Man, I tell you, when I say he gets my blood boiling, it's the Truth.

He should keep his analysis to just the guy (Young), and not the whole Black Youth of America.

I said it before, he keeps generalizing all black youth which I am lumped in by him and I can't believe they are giving this dude a pass to write this siht. And Florio co-signing is ridicoulous.

I will be doing some research when I get home tonight and respond later.

This dude only cares about the hits to his web page and cares nothing, NOTHING about black youth. He's just killing us softly with his thoughts........

Also, this Bama A$$ MoFo is pulling a JLaC 'I Told you So' BS. This dude was rooting for VY to go down.

I got back to school night to go to. But when I get home, I'l really let him know how I feel.

What he wrote, 85% of it has nothing to do with the VY situation, but has ALL to do with the advancing of his I TOLD YOU SO analysis of Black Youth. Like I said before to the ones who disagreed with me. I'm trying to help set the record stratight.

Peace Out.

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

+++Carlos will get a pick this Sunday.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 4:00 PM+++

And Springs will get a shovel and Smoot will get a hoe and they STILL won't catch a fubbal.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

my new blog name

Posted by: Bama A$$ MoFo | September 11, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If Portis really said that and it wasn't out of context or misinterpreted it could be the first sign Zorn is losing this team.

He asks Portis to be a leader on his team and instead Portis leads an insurrection. He tells his QB he should tell his coach to blow it out his bazooka and do what he wants to do.

This is very not good. I like Zorn I think he will someday be a fine head coach, but the Amateur Owner and GM duo did him no favoe by throwing him into the dep end of the pool before he was ready.

Oh Lord, here it comes again

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

shizit Corkzar!

Posted by: Bama A$$ MoFo | September 11, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

+++So what is an O Bama?

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 11, 2008 5:26 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:29 PM+++

Which of course is why she lost the nomination to a young, unknown black guy with the middle name Hussein.

I didn't think it possible but you're even more stupid about politics than you are about football.

Please, if there are other topics you like to mislead us on, do weigh in.

Nothing this blog needs more than the spectre of more hate-filled, self-important, ignorant, crack-brained crackers like yourself posting from a lonely basement.

To us, the most amazing aspect of posters like yourself, aside form teh fact you can opeate a computer, is you NEVER post reasons why one should support your candidate or philosophy. You just default to hate, racism, and ignorance.

So come November, the country will either see Obama win, or as evidenced by GOP posters here, sadly get a new four year lease of the Government it so richly deserves.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Putting Down Idiots | September 11, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

LB Marcus Washington is dealing with a hamstring problem.

Ummm..Is this guy ever..and I mean ever freaking healthy.. 1 game in, and hes hurst again... L-O-S-E-R

You can also spell loser like this..V-I-N-N-Y

Posted by: oc skins | September 11, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

+++So what is an O Bama?

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 11, 2008 5:26 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 5:29 PM+++

Please, if there are other topics you like to mislead us on, do weigh in.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Putting Down Idiots

It is obvious who is the ignorant one here. If you read carefully, the name-calling one is so obviously the ignorant one, that to miss that would make a peraon blind.

PS I'm so glad i live in the Carolina's since Y'ALL still are so racist up in DC! Toughen up buttercups and learn to get along.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 11, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

oops, person, not peraon.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 11, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

If you had watched the debates, there would be no debate who was better, and if you knew anything about politics you would know that winning a nomination and winning a debate has nothing to do with eachother, reference W. who couldn't talk his way out of a parking ticket, and I have never said nor will I ever say anything racist to anyone, I quoted a scene in a movie in which a word that isn't a race related term was used by one African American to another and it had absolutely nothing to do with race. You should learn to read, understand our political system, and generally dial down your anger before you post and show your ignorance.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Marcus; Griffin; Springs all gone before '09

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,

who exactly are you addressing that last post to?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 11, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 6:28 PM

Bama, in the movie you talked about, refers to a stupid African American from the rural south. It is not a compliment. You can sit there and spin it all you want, but that just makes the basic point that you have a closed mind and you always insist on having the last word. So, keep saying the same thing over and over. We all expect it of you.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

can a white dude call a black dude a bama, or vice versa?

Posted by: confused again | September 11, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Which is exactly what you have just done and proven yourself to be. Cracker huh? Yea, that's not rascist. Where are your reasons why we should vote for your candidate?
Ignorant, hateful, and rascist you are.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 6:28 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 6:37 PM

It was said by Denzel to a player of African American completion in a Disney movie while at Gettysburg college having traveled there from fairly urban/northern Alexandria VA. First of all, all I did as quote the scene in saying that I'm beyond making excuses for JC and am at a "show me what you got" state of mind about him, secondly, I didn't call anybody any names, thirdly, there is nothing about that situation that would suggest it is talking about "refers to a stupid African American from the rural south." If you want to spin all that and call me a racist, that's your prerogative, I learned a long time ago, arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

when u call a timeout with no timeouts left...ur a bama

when your a cowboys fan with no dallas affiliations...ur a bama

if your a redskins fan...but then a lakers fan in basketball...ur a bama...

these are just a few examples

Posted by: jason | September 11, 2008 5:04 PM

1) Chris Webber
2) some of the posters here
3) 99% of DC area Cowboys fans
4) Doc Walker

Did I get them all right?

Posted by: p1funk | September 11, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for pete's sake.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

can a white dude call a black dude a bama, or vice versa?

Posted by: confused again

last I checked it still is America which allows us to say whatever we please. I think, since my skin is light, definitely now white, or black, and my ancestors are from Europe I will forever more be addressed as English-American, instead of American. To use something-American further divides, not unites all of us. I can't believe we're not beyond skin color at this point. Obama won in Iowa. Any of you been there before? I have and it's a nnice place, but not too many shades there except "white".

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 11, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Corkie=Chicken Little

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I learned a long time ago, arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 6:48 PM

If you "learned it a long time ago" -- which I doubt -- then why do you keep the argument alive? You don't ever learn anything, zipper, because you have a closed mind and you're unwilling to listen.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

...opeate a computer...

The computer. "Opeate" of the masses.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't P.O.W. a kick-ass videogame for Nintendo back in the day?

Posted by: POW | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM

Absolutely. Along with:

* Skate or Die
* ArchRivals
* Kung Fu
* Metriod
* Megaman
* John Elway's Football
Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 3:57 PM

Dude, you forgot about these games too

* Contra
* Life Force
* Track & Field
* Ikari Warriors
* Commando
* Ninja Gaiden

Posted by: JinxMan | September 11, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice one Zilla.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

If you wear jerseys of former Redskins (not retired) to games...YOU ARE A BAMA!!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | September 11, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse