Betts' Injury Not Serious

Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid report:

The Redskins haven't said anything officially yet about Ladell Betts' knee injury, but sources with knowledge of the situation says that it looks like about a two-week injury. The team had indicated the injury was a mild sprain and Betts underwent an MRI that showed nothing more serious than that yesterday. Earlier, Jim Zorn had said the team was making plans to be without Betts for at least one week. The team said he would update the media on Betts' status Wednesday.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 13, 2008; 3:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Updates the Injury Report
Next: Shaun Alexander Coming To Town

Comments

1st!!!! THANK GOD!

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 13, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Rhetorical Question:

Norv Turner
Marty Schottenheimer
Brad Johnson
Al Saunders

(Did I forget anyone?)

Posted by: RambleOn | October 13, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

+++Cork, not sure how available Housh is, but I saw his name pop up since his contract is coming up and the Bengals aren't going anywhere. At this point, TJ is 31 (last month). So what do you do if you are in his place?

option 1: stay loyal to a bad team
option 2: take the $$$, no matter which team
option 3: go to a team with chance to win big

Posted by: zcezcest1++++

Option1. Not the Bunguls. They will NEVER be good.
Option2. How much Moolah, you talking about, big fella?
Option 3. If it were up to me, I'd try to get a short term deal with a winner..if we win, then take the cash and run elsewhere.

But as a pro who has suffered with a bad team as long as Housh has, I'd want to try to win.

There's another factor. Housh has been on NFL Net and has good presence. If he wants a Media life after football, a major market could be the determining factor for him.

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

RambleOn,
My guess is that they all beat the 'Skins the first time they faced them following their dismissal from the organization.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 13, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The Kendal play was a once in a 10 year type play, but for that and being able to punt the ball 40 yards we win easy. And NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to trading away more draft picks for aging vets especially for more freaking wide receivers. We have to lead the league and resources spent on wideouts the last five years. We overpaid for Coles, traded for Lloyd, overpaid for Randel El, and have drafted a lot of them. STOP! do not trade away more valuable picks (if Vinny can figure out the whole draft thing) for more WR's. If betts is on IR sign a vet depth guy behind Rock and put Kelly on IR and go get Mix. We will need those picks come April to replace:

Washington (too expensive for being too injury prone)
Griff (ibid)
Jansen (now way he stays at his price tag)
Kendal (knees = retirement)
Springs

We don't need another freaking receiver!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Did Jasno really suggest BLloyd in the last post? Dude wasn't even active yesterday and he still blows. I don't care how many catches he's got with Chicago.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 13, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think you have to throw Stephen Davis and LaVar in there, too.

Posted by: jwlemons | October 13, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

+++ What do the following former Redskins, who were each dismissed by Dan Snyder, have in common?

Norv Turner
Marty Schottenheimer
Brad Johnson
Al Saunders

Posted by: RambleOn+++

They all have Herpes simplex?

All tower over Lil Dan?

They all drive a sweet ride?

None of them has been in my Ma's kitchen?

Except for Marty, all have last names with eight or fewer letters?

Each suffered a wardrobe malfunction at at last year's Pro Bowl banquet?

All have fared poorly after leaving, except for Brad, who nailed Sarah Palin?

Okay, rambleOn, I give up...what?

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot, we'll probably need to be replacing Jason Taylor too.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

option 1: stay loyal to a bad team
option 2: take the $$$, no matter which team
option 3: go to a team with chance to win big

Posted by: zcezcest1++++

Option1. Not the Bunguls. They will NEVER be good.
Option2. How much Moolah, you talking about, big fella?

Cork -- we look like option 3.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

With the injury to Doughty looking like more serious than originally thought, anyone feel like going after John Lynch to help out for the rest of the season?I know Horton has come on strong as a rookie but Kareem Moore is still learning and Hamilton is always on the inactive list. We need some help at safety and I think Lynch would be a good fit.

Posted by: straub21 | October 13, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Cool your jets boys. kind of expected the blog to be thsi s***storm following the debacle, and it's kind of cathartic in a way, but god I can't wait for next Sun so the BS can stop (or we all start on a new load). The draft stuff is really bugging me. 1 it's to soon to rate it. 2. Give Devin time. 3 Kelly is injured - rest him this week then IR if not close to playing. 4 Davis was a luxury sure but seriously who else would you have picked at that point? (Jackson is looking great right now but remember we were looking for beanpoles not leprechauns). And away from the draft, I'd rather suit up Stephen Hawking than Brandon Lloyd.

I think we'll give the Browns a good shoeing and Thomas gets a TD.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 13, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

WR's from the draft :

1st round :

NONE

2nd round :

#33 St. Louis Rams Donnie Avery 10 catches 119 yards 0 TD's (note 43 of those 119 yards came on one catch, so minus that he has 9 catches for 76 yards)

#34 Washington Redskins Devin Thomas 4 catches 40 yards 0 TD's

#126 Tennessee Titans Lavelle Hawkins NO STATS LISTED

#128 St. Louis Rams Keenan Burton NO STATS LISTED

5th round :

#136 Detroit Lions Kenneth Moore NO STATS LISTED

#153 New England Patriots Matt Slater NO STATS LISTED

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 13, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, is it "Betts'" or "Betts's"? I always used to be an "s'" guy until an ex convinced me that it was "s's".

As our esteemed Editor, what is the correct answer?

And, also, to settle another bet with the same ex, which of the following to sentence is correct:

"No one is more charming than me."
"No one is more charming than I."

Posted by: PDiddy | October 13, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Trading for TJ solves both of those problems. And please, don't compare this guy, who is top shelf, with the rot gut named blloyd.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

That there was a pretty good game, and as I predicted, it was a real nail biter. I'm all knubbs.

Losing to the previously winless Rams at home is painful, no matter how you slice it. Watching Mark Bulger complete that pass, under thrown or not, was gut wrenching. Not surprised about Torrence, but Laron Landry seems to be having himself a case of the sophomore blues.

As CL mentioned in a previous post, our lack of a pass rush on 3rd and long is what ails us most. With MK getting his knee drained and the sporadic progress of DT, this 2008 draft smells awfully fishy. Fred Davis is uninvolved in the offense. Why? You think we could find a way to throw him at least one pass per game?

What's up with Jansen? Dude was flailing around trying in vain to block the pass rusher.

Kudos to JC for continuing to step up in the pocket and make big plays. The young man is also proving he can take a licking, unfortunately...

Give that man some more time!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Okay, rambleOn, I give up...what?

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Tower over L'il Dan. Too funny!

Posted by: will_ga | October 13, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I think that Jasno was being facetious when he suggested Bloyyd. At least I hope so.

Glad to hear Betts is ok.

Posted by: Gweez | October 13, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Or should JC be getting rid of the ball faster?

I thought this was the WC offense?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Add up all the receiving yards for Kelly, Davis and Thomas. Then subtract out the yards lost on their penalties. Is this number positive or negative?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Should be "Betts's."

Posted by: Zornado | October 13, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Should be Betts'

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Each of those four returned with their next team and won their first game at FedEx after being fired.

Okay so it's not like Al Saunders' offense lit it up yesterday, but I guarantee you he was cheering the loudest when Adair (or whatever his name is) caught that pass.

(Tower over lil Dan...LMAO)

Posted by: RambleOn | October 13, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor has officially reached "Enigma Status."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is doing fine in just about every aspect. He's past the question mark stage. He is a starting quality NFL QB and I hope he is in burgundy and gold for another decade.

He's taken this team from behind in 5 straight games to put us ahead in the 4th quarter. His passer ratings are solid and he's made very few poor decisions since the opener. I like the way he runs -- seems to be very smart about when to take off.

Campbell is the real deal.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

zc,

He should have fallen on that ball after the bad snap. I learned that when I was 7 year old.

Of course thinking back had LFB or Landry held onto one of their picks it would have been a nice change too.

Posted by: Gweez | October 13, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Taylor trade given the injuries we had in the preseason. But its obvious that it hasn't been a good call so far.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on JC.

He looks like the real deal. I will, however, reserve final judgement until we get a little deeper into the season, when all the chips are stacked in the middle of the table.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"No one is more charming than me."
"No one is more charming than I."

Posted by: PDiddy | October 13, 2008 4:18 PM

Neither statement is correct. Her new boyfriend is more charming than you. :)

Posted by: 4-12 | October 13, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor will shed the enigma label and blow it up, and soon.

No way he doesn't hurt someone other than himself before the season is over...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 13, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

zc,

Posted by: Gweez |

Agreed. I said he makes few poor decisions. Not falling on the ball in that situation was one of those poor decisions.

I also wonder if Campbell is a bit too upright in the shotgun. Its much easier to rise up with the ball then to drop down if the snap is low.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Not that I want to see Betts out, but now you folks who think that Rock can't be a #2 back will be proven wrong. I said it all offseason, and now you get to see it play out in October. You heard it here first...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 13, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry we're going to lose him for two or three weeks.

But glad we'll have him down the stretch.

Posted by: redskins91 | October 13, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I like Rock as an RB. He'll do fine as long as he holds onto the ball. I actually wished they used him as a WR, I think he'd be a good guy for when 'Tana needs a play or two off.

Gibbs stuffed Rock on the bench after his fumble got returned for a TD vs KC about 3 years ago and Rock hasn't gotten another chance since. Pretty harsh for one fumble.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Through the first six games, who is our mvp- Portis or Campbell?

Posted by: will_ga | October 13, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

MVP? London Fletcher

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I whole totally agree on JC. I was very skeptical and critical of him coming into the year and I was completely wrong. He looks great and has shown it for 5 games in a row now, that was all I could hope for, he had shown flashes before but never consistency. Finding a qb is huge and we finally have! now with CP not going anywhere if we can rebuild our D line, and build oline depth (both of which we should have last year) we could be looking at a lot of great years!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Rock's running ability has ever been questioned. I think it had more to do with his versatility on offense. Can he pass-protect? Can he run routes? Can he catch the ball? You know he's going to give you everything he has in terms of hard running and hitting the holes, which is always a great thing for a RB. It's the other things that are questioned about him.

Posted by: psps23 | October 13, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

zc, did you just say you wish they had used Rock Cartwright as a wide receiver/sub for Santanna???? If so, you no longer have permission to give opinions ever....you are allowed to say yeah when we win and to say boo when we lose, but you are cut off from football opinions.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why do you guys think that Royal and Jackson have decent stats? If you look at it Royal's biggest game was when B. Marsh was out...DeSean was about the only receiver McWahhhh could throw to outside of Westbrook and he was banged up...I mean Hank Baskett? Yeah sure.

I like what Devin's done and what I've heard about Kelly from the team. You think Yoder is gonna be around for long? I don't, hence Davis could be a real gem.

Posted by: bms46and2 | October 13, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Through the first six games, who is our mvp- Portis or Campbell?

Posted by: will_ga

Campbell. Portis has been set-up to dominate the running game via the passing game. It's the opposite of the Gibbs era. The fact that Campbell has done this with largely mediocre pass-protection and really only 3 consistent, viable threats says volumes about Campbell's play. Although Portis has been a monster lately.

Posted by: psps23 | October 13, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Horton is our mvp through 6 games. the guy is all over the field and you saw the impact of turnovers yesterday.

Posted by: thetruth7 | October 13, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I like Rock for the same reason the Skins do - he's a hard worker and a good locker room guy. But he does not have the combination of speed and shiftiness to make him a threat in the run game. He's "just a guy" as far as RB goes.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 13, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Rhetorical Question:

Norv Turner
Marty Schottenheimer
Brad Johnson
Al Saunders

(Did I forget anyone?)

Posted by: RambleOn | October 13, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Severence checks?

Posted by: tdskinz | October 13, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it and I'll say it again. I like what happens when Rock gets his hands on the ball. I could see him as a WR backing up Moss. Rock on the WR screen? Yes.

Of course, preseason is the preferred time to run that experiment.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Romo out 4 weeks with broken finger....

SHazam!

Isn't Brad Johnson the backup?

Posted by: isnadd | October 13, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

like I said, you're cut off

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Through the first six games, who is our mvp- Portis or Campbell?
Posted by: will_ga | October 13, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

MVP? London Fletcher
Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 4:50 PM |

Right now, Portis is competing for MVP of the League........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Rhetorical Question:
Norv Turner
Marty Schottenheimer
Brad Johnson
Al Saunders
(Did I forget anyone?)

Posted by: RambleOn | October 13, 2008 4:00 PM

I thought the purpose of asking a rhetorical question was for it not to be answered because the answer was already understood? Then again, I took English102 3 times before I passed it (long story)......

I know the answer, though and can add lots of other former Redskins to the list, but since it's a Holiday and I had to work, I'm getting out of here.

Hopefully the 'hating' on the class of '08 will cease.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

like I said, you're cut off

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

like I said ... Naaah Aaaaahhhh

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

curious zj ... why wouldn't you want to see if Rock can play a backup WR role?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

cause he's 5'6", he's not especially fast or shifty, and because this might be the dumbest idea ever.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

are you the same guy who used to be on here that thought we should sign priest holmes as our #3 wideout?

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

seriously, man, stop, there isn't a person on the planet that thinks Rock Cartwright is a NFL quality wideout or is a conceivable backup to santanna moss.....not even rock. There wasn't even another team in the league that wanted him as a backup running back, that's why he's still here. give it a rest, this is just stupid

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 13, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Priest Holmes sucks. SJK

Posted by: not Periculum/ October 13, 2008

Posted by: notguy | October 13, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I like Rock, but he's not the runner or pass catcher that Betts is out of the backfield...not to mention he's too small to have picking up a blitzing LB. CP is going to be in a lot on 3rd down when he's usually catching a breather when the Skins are in obvious passing situations. No more two runs and then going off the field.

Skins starting WR's are 28 and 29, stand 5 10", and aren't red zone threats. Why would we want to send a 3rd round pick for a similar guy who's 31 and is reaching the end of his prime? Thomas needs to develop quickly and the Skins blew it when they cut McMullen who had NFL experience and could have been our 3rd receiver. He's already been signed by another team.

With Jansen's pass protection problems, we need to keep in a TE on that side like Yoder or a RB to chip. That's the reason why Zorn has been saying all along that Heyer gives the team more at that position. Granted Jansen is still a strong run blocker, but he's a huge liability in pass protection. Did people forget Little swatting the ball out of Campbell's hands inside our 10 and Randel-El husting and diving to recover it.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 13, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm the TJ Housh or Boldin guy ... I like WRs that look and play like Art Monk.

I'll give you that Rock is small at 5'8", but that's just 2" shorter than ARE and 'Tana. Rock is pretty shifty, has good speed and runs well in the open field. He proves that on kickoffs week after week.

After ARE and Moss, no one on our bench is so good that I wouldn't give Rock a look.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Houshmandzadeh turned 31 last month. Owens is 35 and still making plays. Housh still has 3-5 years in him. Plus he's more possession type, which is really more what we need to complement ARE and Moss.

History says WRs can play to 35 and in some cases beyond. Monk played at a high level until that age. Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Cris Carter all made Pro Bowls at age 35 or later.

The question is can we get this guy for a reasonable price (both trade and cap). His age is part of the equation, as is his contract situation with Cincy. I'm not saying we should break the bank, but he solves a problem for the next several years -- and its worth paying to solve a problem

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

This thread starts with a rhetorical question that really wasn't and ends, for me, with Rock Cartwright replacing Moss at wideout. Thanks fellas for making the last hour or so fly by.

Posted by: mack1 | October 13, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

mack -- you're welcome -- though we were talking about subbing for Moss when he needs a breather, not replacing him

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

more recently, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith and Keenan McCardell are all WRs that had over 1,000 receiving yards at age 35. Housh at a just turned 31 two weeks ago -- he easily has enough games left to make a trade worth considering.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

It was all a dream, right?

We didn't really lose to the shiftless Rams in our building yesterday, did we?

Whew...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 13, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

++++we have 2 issues at WR. One is talent/skill and the other is depth. We have only 2 guys who are starters, in this league you need 3. We only have 4 healthy WRs, in this league you need 5 (maybe 6 if you've got WRs doing other stuff like returning kicks).

Posted by: zcezcest1+++

Trade WHAT for him? This Redskins team is aging at numerous positions, so I'd be against anything above a seventh rounder for him. (He has one year left on his contract, no?)

I'd Trade Taylor, but I suspect the cap hit would be horrific.

While I see the 'skins as a playoff team, I don't think they are enough of a threat to go deep in the playoffs to further mortgage the future for short term relief. And remember, he'd have to learn a new system--which is complicated. So you're talking half a season, at best.

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, is Houshmanzadeh hypothetically going to help with either our pass protection, our pass rush, or our punting?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Cork, you have to trade and get a new contract with the deal so you get a long term benefit. That'd have to be part of any deal to make sense

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

+++Taylor had one impact game vs NO when he tipped 3 balls. We'll see if he can get himself into game shape and become a difference maker.

Posted by: zcezcest1+++

Look at it this way, Taylor will help the Redskins offseason celebrity Volleyball team.

DLinmen tip balls because they can't get to the passer. Sure, credit for getting his arms up, but it's hardly an endorsement of his prowess as a pass rusher.

I am HOPING that the injuries will, ironically give JT fresh legs for the second half of the season, when olinement are starting to get worn down.

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

What I want to see is Rock Cartwright replace Randel El on punt returns. What's Randel El's return avg., something like 3.5 yards?

Rock's a monster on special teams, why not give him a few punt returns?

Posted by: EKruse | October 13, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Housh will help on pass protection -- he'll be someone that defenses would have to seriously account for, unlike with Thrash or Thomas. Which means less blitzes or more guys getting open quickly.

As for punting skills, can't say if Housh could do better ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why do you guys think that Royal and Jackson have decent stats?

Good question. I'd say it's because they showed up to camp in shape, learned the plays, keep getting open, and catch the ball when it's thrown to them.--The CORK

++++If you look at it Royal's biggest game was when B. Marsh was out...++++

Yeah and he sucked when he caught the last second TD and winning 2 pointer against San diego.

++++DeSean was about the only receiver McWahhhh could throw to outside of Westbrook and he was banged up...I mean Hank Baskett? Yeah sure.++++

I think it's a conspiracy---all 29 times he's completed a pass to him. And it's just trying to make Vinny look bad with that 13.3 yard average on punts.

++++We have a lot of weapons: CP, Moss, Cooley, ARE, Betts..then we get to the rooks...when you're not healthy and you're the 6th option what do you really expect?+++

You mention FIVE weapons. Only TWO are WRs. All five showed up in shape and learned the playbook. That's why "the rooks" are 6th options.

+++I like what Devin's done and what I've heard about Kelly from the team.+++

Me too. At Michigan state.... What have you likes as a Redskin? The penalty last week? The four receptions in six games? Clarify, please.

+++You think Yoder is gonna be around for long? I don't, hence Davis could be a real gem.+++

He'd be around a lot less if Davis could beat this journeyman out.

Posted by: bms46and2

Posted by: TheCork | October 13, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

TJ Houshmandzadeh in 2008
38 catches, 400 yards, 3 TDs
(current salary $2.3 mil)
Moss
29 catches, 443 yards, 3 TDs

ARE + Thomas + Thrash + Kelly
36 catches 387 yards 2 TDs

and TJ's QB has been Ryan Fitzpatrick for the past few weeks since Palmer has been hurt.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Sources: Former Hawk Alexander to visit Redskins, may join team

By John Clayton and Mike Sando

ESPN.com

Updated: October 13, 2008, 7:28 PM ET

The Redskins have scheduled a visit Tuesday with former Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, and, if the meeting goes according to plan, the Redskins will sign him to a contract, according to two sources close to the situation.

Alexander, released by the Seahawks during the offseason, has visited the Saints, Bengals and Lions, but this is appears to be his first real chance of landing a job. The opening was created when backup Ladell Betts suffered a knee injury during Sunday's game against the Rams.

Betts' injury isn't considered serious, but it appears he might miss a couple of weeks. Alexander could fill in until Betts is healthy and back up Clinton Portis. The fit is natural because Alexander worked with Redskins head coach Jim Zorn and running backs coach Stump Mitchell in Seattle.

The 5-foot-11, 228-pound Alexander has been working out in Seattle during the first two months of the season waiting for a chance to sign with a team. He rushed for 9,428 yards in eight seasons in Seattle.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 13, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Alexander to skins?

Doesn't seem necessary with a very capable backup (Rock), and Betts only out a few weeks.

Can we sign Marcus Mason off a practice squad, or did he make an active roster?

Posted by: AlexBerger1 | October 13, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I honestly think part of the problem with Kelly and THomas is that Campbell simply isn't looking at them. He seems too preoccupied with Moss. Why not run Thomas deep a couple times a game and take your shot? Use Moss as the decoy again.

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | October 13, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I hear this about Alexander too and i heard it is a done deal. I think it is a good idea if we can get him for a few weeks at the minimum. Maybe put Kelley or Tryon on the practice squad cause they aren't helping us any. I wonder if Shawn can punt?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 13, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world are we going to sign Shaun Alexander unless Ladell is seriously injured?

Makes absolutely no sense. Rock (and Sellers) must feel like they have been punched in the gut.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 13, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | October 13, 2008 7:47 PM

Preoccupied with Moss, huh? You haven't been paying attention in class have you?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If they sign Alexander who will they release...Tryon?

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

This is where someone gets paid the big bucks... if you're comfortable going into a game (with Portis being as hard a hitter as he is) with the knowledge that you're one play away from having Rock be your #1 RB and #1 kick returner and special teams all-everything, then you can wait for Betts.
Otherwise, you need to make a move... you can go for someone like Mason, who knows the offense but clearly has some limitations (blocking?), and hasn't shown anything on special teams.
Or you can go for Alexander, who still probably has something in the tank; maybe not a whole season's worth, but something.

If you're Mason, do you leap at the opportunity, even if it seems like a two-week fill-in?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Signing Alexander would be a huge mistake, dear God, please don't let them do this.

Just chill, this reeks of panic to me, and I will not be happy about it. Sure they could cut him as soon as Betts is back, but, why do it?

No need for it.

And afte the bye week Thomas will have a much more expanded role on offense.

Posted by: craig2 | October 13, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Its called knee jerk reactions... see J Duckett...F Vinny and Danny..They'll never learn..cmon Betts is out 2 weeks for Gods sakes..The Eagles had the WRs out for a month at a clip and didnt sign their life away

Posted by: Tyler84101 | October 13, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 13, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

From what I've heard from Zorn, he's not big on giving Sellers much chance carrying the ball. That will leave really only two RB on the team (I don't think there is one on the practice squad). At the very least the skins have to make emergency plan. Zorn, Stump both have expereience with Alexander, I'm sure they'd be able to tell if he'd be able to help in the short term.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of agreeing on the Shaun Alexander thing. Why? Betts is out 2 weeks. Rock is a capable backup. Covering the bases for a 2 weeks? Not sure on this. It depends on how cheap he comes, but something doesn't feel right on this. Maybe Betts is a little more dinged than people have been letting on

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

cause he's 5'6", he's not especially fast or shifty

Sounds like ARE on punt returns!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | October 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

he's not especially fast or shifty Sounds like ARE on punt returns!

Are you kidding? ARE defines shiftiness. What he doesn't define is forward progress...

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

No, not kidding at all. He USED to define shiftiness. Now, he darts back and forth avoiding no one and, you are right, not going forward.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | October 13, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse