Betts Plays Waiting Game

Barry Svrluga reports:

Ladell Betts, whose sprained left knee is what brings Shaun Alexander to Ashburn today, just left Redskins Park and said he didn't have a good handle on how long he'll be out.

"It's a waiting game," Betts said. "It's a matter of how fast I heal up, really. ... [The amount of time necessary] could vary from person to person and how severe it is. It could be a week, two weeks, three weeks, who knows. But I don't anticipate being out too long."

Betts has 38 carries for 156 yards in the first six games of the season, backing up Clinton Portis, who is the NFL's leading rusher with 643 yards. Betts was asked if he was surprised an established back such as Alexander was being auditioned for what is likely a role as a temporary replacement.

"No, it's the nature of the business, especially when somebody goes down," he said. "I think as far as my role is, I had a pretty important role. Some people might not realize it, but you know, Clinton can't carry the ball 30-40 times a game. They got to have somebody step in. I don't know what they're going to do with Rock [Cartwright], or what the situation is. So I don't really know. But it doesn't surprise me."

There are a few punters and perhaps even a couple of other running backs who will be working out today. Durant Brooks just stopped by, and said he has not been told anything definitive about his fate. More on that in a bit.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 14, 2008; 11:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unrestricted Look at a Busy Day Ahead
Next: Brooks Talks of His Injury, Future

Comments

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | October 14, 2008 11:30 AM

TS,

He has great Preseason talent against backups and guys who do not actually play we have never seen him in a real game, and we know he can not pass protect even against backups, so your comments are off base.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Mason is a TALENT. You can give him reps with the 1st team and drill the plays into his head; that's a coach's job. But you cannot coach the kind of quickness, running instincts and home-run ability that Mason has. That's God-given and rare. We were foolish to cut him and we shouldn't make the mistake of passing him up a 2nd time.

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | October 14, 2008 11:30 AM |"

I honestly can't tell if that was meant to be funny/slightly sarcastic or serious.

Please I'm hoping it wasn't meant to be serious.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 14, 2008 11:35 AM

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 14, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

First,

I am writing my speech for this honor, stay tuned.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I think its time to put M. Kelly on the R shelf. WR do take time, and the important thing is to get healthy and not rush back. We need the roster spot at this point for a contributer, and his knee is just not healing.

And before I get the hater tag, I like Kelly, I just think the IR/Red shirt/heal option is the best move.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Also please note that I'm for letting Rock get those carries Betts was having.

but wouldn't it be crazy if Shaun Alexander just started balling out averaging 5+ yards per carry?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 14, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

On punters...of course this needs to be addressed, but for the love of god WaPo, quit cutting and pasting the sentence, "Teams rarely expend draft picks on punters because other positions are considered more important..." into every story about it. How hard is it to do a Google search on "punters drafted NFL?" Try it once. You'll find this:

There were three drafted last year alone. Enough already.

On receivers...time perhaps to put Kelly on IR and get someone who can at least walk onto the field. But please...no more talk about McMullen. From Pro Football Weekly: "Word is the Seahawks have pretty much given up on recently acquired WR Billy McMullen in a starting role after the problems he experienced holding on to passes and being taken out physically in the Week Five loss to the Giants."

That's been his problem since he got into the NFL - he can't catch. Kind of a drawback at the receiver position. Maybe Mix is the best choice as he was here in camp. I don't know who all else is out there. I've been too busy on Mondays with my new radio show to do the research.

Posted by: EpsteinsMothersDoctor | October 14, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

can they IR brooks realisticly? would another team try and grab him if we toss the kid?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the loss will be a good lesson learned for the team...

The Skins simply made too many mistakes to win the game. Two critical turnovers in scoring position, one untimely 29yd punt, and a failed blitz at the end of the game. They dominated the game statistically and still had an opportunity to win if they simply committed one less mistake.

So I agree -- given the parity in the league -- the Skins and most other NFL teams (e.g. Giants and Cowboys last week) are not good enough offensively to win if they commit turnovers.

Posted by: siris | October 14, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Anyone remember the scene in the movie Victory where they have to intentionally break the goalies arm between two beds so they had the excuse to start Sly Stalone so they could hatch the get-a-way plan? Maybe we could do that to Brooks so we can IR him?

Victory, classic movie....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

CL,

I have to agree good movie.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Alexander could be cut as soon as Betts is healthy without it costing the Skins anything other than the couple of weeks on the roster. No guarantees in such a contract.

That must be the thing they are looking at, in order to sign any player now, they will also have to cut a player(could use IR too) who is already on the 53 man roster.

It's kind of tricky, to me, they shouldn't do anything in this regard(running back situation), maybe make a move towards a wide out considering Zorn seems to reaching the end of his patience waiting for Kelly to get healthy.

Just my opinions on the matter.

Posted by: craig2 | October 14, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

There's no comparison. Alexander has performed at a high level in this league - in games that count - Mason has not. And Alexander is only being asked to compliment Portis, not carry the load.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 14, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I do not believe NFL teams are required to pass players through waivers when they desigante them on the injured reserve list ...

So yes, Kelly to IR is the most likely transaction if the Skins sign Alexander. Barring additional injuries -- they can get by with four WRs, but not two RBs.

Posted by: siris | October 14, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing is that if the Rams don't complete that 40 some yard pass to Avery to set up the field goal to win the game, we might not be having any of these conversations about Mason, Brooks, Kelly, etc., and everybody would be talking about the positives. I say if Shaun Alexander has anything left in the tank, sign him. He is obviously out to prove something so he is going to be running hard, not to mention he is finally healthy.

Posted by: hender_22 | October 14, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | October 14, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

" But you cannot coach the kind of quickness, running instincts and home-run ability that Mason has. That's God-given and rare.

Posted by: TS_Alfabet | October 14, 2008 11:30 AM"

Come on, I can't be the only guy that laughed at that. My only question is why haven't the Chargers signed him to start over LT?

Again if this kid is a world-beater, why isn't he on anybody's team??

lol

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 14, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

4-12,
Thats old news. Do you mean to tell me you aren't wearing them right now?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"I think the problem with bringing Mason back is simple, he would be guaranteed a contract in order to sign him from the Ravens' Practice squad, the NFL rules are that if you sign a player from another team's PS, they have be on the 53 man roster and stay there unless injury."

I think a player signed off another team's practice squad only has to be guaranteed a roster spot for three weeks. After that, he can be cut/waived/IR'd, whatever.

Posted by: EpsteinsMothersDoctor | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

4-12 WTF was that.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I would think that the reason Zorn is being so patient with Malcolm Kelly is that is a tall receiver with HUGE redzone potential, which we desperately lack. If he can come back healthy for the second half of the season and catch a few touchdowns, the wait will be well worth it. I don't think bringing in another wide-out is the answer here right now.

Posted by: hender_22 | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

About Mason-If Mason can't wrap his head around the mental aspect of the game then what he does with his feet doesn't matter.

Zorn has often said to Campbell to take a sack and give him the opportunity to call the next play. If Mason can't run the plays Zorn calls (or any coach) he'll never get the opportunity. The guys in Cinci are averaging like 2.8 yards/carry and no one is calling Mason to be third string.

Clearly there is a knock on the guy. Despite what we think we are not Pro talent evaluators.

I agree with what some said on the 3rd WR. Right now we have:

#1 who can't beat a double team.

#2 with lots of utility but at best an average route running/catching reciever.

#3 Below average special teams standout

Cooley really makes this passing game works because otherwise they'd run cover 2 and shut our passing down.

It's easy to blame the O-line or JC but as defenses get more tape on Zorn it's going to get worse. Someone needs to step up.

Posted by: Gweez | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

That's from an Australian paper. Kost's got some 'splainin' to do.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

TS,

Posted by: Flounder21

Essentially the same can be said of Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis.

I have no problem with SA being brought in for a look, but I don't think he's going to be a real help. He's been to three teams for tryouts. Even with his pedigree, being a former MVP with loads of experience, teams don't want him. That says a lot about him -- much more so than a guy teams are skeptical about because of a lack of experience. I never thought he was a special runner, just a product of a phenomenal offensive line in their prime.

By the way, Shaun Alexander can't pass protect either. And Mason knows the offense better than Alexander, considering the run game is the same as Gibbs' and he was here in the offseason and preseason. I'd much rather have Mason as a 3rd back than Alexander as a 3rd back (let alone a 2nd back).

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Betts Plays Waiting Game

The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry, Hungry, Hippo!!

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I've been out of the loop for awhile because of a hectic new work schedule, but I'll just throw a couple of thoughts out there:

-Sunday's loss was bad but not catastrophic. Before the season started, I'm sure 99.99% of us here would have taken a 4-2 record with a win in Dallas if offered--regardless of who the losses came against. I'm one of many who thought this team would more likely be 2-4 than 4-2 after 6 games, and we're still only a game and a half out of first place. So long as this game serves as a wake up call and the team handles business heading into the bye week, there's no reason to fell down about a 6-2 record the first half of the season.

-Memo to Vinny: JUST SAY NO TO ALEXANDER! I have full faith and confidence that Rock can play well as the #2 back here. It's a better move to play him there and work Marcus Mason back into the mix if he's available. I just think it would be a bit risky to the team's chemistry to bring Alexander in; he's got a rep as a bit of a whiner and a guy who doesn't have the best work ethic. I'd rather see Mason in the mix, a guy who could be here for the long haul.

-No chance we lose to the Browns. I know they looked good last night, but they wanted it more than the Giants did. The Skins got smacked in the face and the Browns now have their full attention. Plus the short week will hurt the Browns. Skins win 28-17. You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think its time to put M. Kelly on the R shelf.
Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2008

If we do that then then SA can be signed without cuting anyone...

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse