Betts, Thomas Could Have Increased Roles

Jason Reid reports:

With wide receiver James Thrash sidelined because of a high-ankle sprain, backup running back Ladell Betts and rookie wide receiver Devin Thomas could have increased roles as kickoff returners Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, special teams coach Danny Smith said.

Kickoff return specialist Rock Cartwright would remain the team's primary player in that job, Smith said, and rookie cornerback Justin Tryon also could be involved in the return game. Thomas and Tryon returned kickoffs in college.

"It's a possibility it could be Ladell. It's a possibility it could be Devin. It's a possibility it could be Tryon," Smith said. "That's a question mark right now."

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  September 17, 2008; 6:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thrash, Kelly Injuries Weaken WR Corps
Next: Vinny Cerrato: Dan Snyder's New Radio Jock

Comments

Trade for McMullen.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 17, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Why does Seattle need 9 WRs on their active roster? They just raded for Colbert and signed Robinson back, so my guess is McMullen maybe gone sooner than later.

Posted by: straub21 | September 17, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

more like my hope.

Posted by: straub21 | September 17, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Why does Seattle need 9 WRs on their active roster?

Posted by: straub21 | September 17, 2008 6:43 PM

Because about 12 of those 9 guys are out for at least an extended period of time with injuries.

Posted by: Math major | September 17, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Mcmullen you piece of trash !

Posted by: OG Barno | September 17, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"It's a possibility it could be Ladell. It's a possibility it could be Devin. It's a possibility it could be Tryon, It's a possibility it could be Yo Mama" Smith said. "

Posted by: Boyz II Men | September 17, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

That's right. I said Yo Mama.

Posted by: Boyz II Men | September 17, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Was that an OG Barno sighting ?

Man those are becoming more and more rare.

Posted by: Bobo Nicadeemus | September 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

After posting it for 3 days, finally somebody listens. The guy to return punts for us is Justin Tryon. He is fast, has good hands, returned kicks in college, and he doesn't have to cover anyone. he gets to avoind people sort of like when he is trying to cover 3rd string WR's. Seriously, this kid got a bonus, was one of the worst people in camp at CB, and somehow is still drawing a hefty paycheck. Make him earn it! he is a liability on defense but you never know. If he runs north and south instead of the back and forth and get dropped dance that ARE does, he might just make something happen.

Posted by: DB | September 17, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, why do we need to tinker with the kick returning? Rock is doing his normal great job. If he is lumping punts in with kick returning, then I understand, but he did mention Rock and not ARE, so you have to think he means kick offs. i don't get it. Rock on kickoffs, Tryon and Thrash on punts. You just can't think using Moss is a good idea for one of the same reasons using ARE isnt a good idea, we are thin at decent WR. Usw guys that won't kill you if they get hurt.

Posted by: DB | September 17, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Not me. I trust my own two eyes.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 17, 2008 4:43 PM

People say believe half of what you see, son
and none of what you hear

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 17, 2008 4:53 PM

and for the man whose words I borrowed a few hours back...

RIP

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 17, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

For punt returners. Forget it. I don't want no stinkin punt returners. Just rush 11 guys each time.

You'll get some shanks from the guy rushing the kick and a block or two if there is a bobble or missed block.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 17, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Fudge-Ums?

Posted by: Dorf | September 17, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

DB -- you have it right. What's wrong w/ KO return... I hope that's just a typo/miscommunication and we're tweaking the punt return team.

Posted by: beat kal | September 17, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

the fudge-ums are listening to the portis mitchell fight on espn980.com

b-mitch is a sissy. 26 rules

Posted by: Fudge-Ums | September 17, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beat kal | September 17, 2008 7:42 PM

Thrash is the second return guy on KO's so maybe that is what he was talking about, who to put back with Rock.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | September 17, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Kickoff return specialist Rock Cartwright would remain the team's primary player in that job.
-------------

Read before complaining. They are just talking about who would take over for Thrash if he can't go.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Billy McMullen ... he should be starting instead of Thrash anyway. Cutting him was one of the worst moves this team made (among MANY) this year...

Posted by: BigMac | September 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Sign me.

Posted by: Antonio Brown | September 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Sign me.

Posted by: Antonio Brown | September 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Good evening friends! Here's a little recap from our last meeting...

LANDOVER, Md. -- In the final 30 seconds, the Arizona Cardinals used three quarterbacks, scored a touchdown, failed on a 2-point conversion, recovered an onside kick and barely -- just barely -- missed a 55-yard field goal.

It was only after Neil Rackers' kick sailed wide left that the Washington Redskins could take a deep sigh, digest all that happened and realize that, despite their effort, they had not quite found a new way to blow a ballgame.

The Redskins beat the Cardinals 21-19 on a Sunday afternoon that degenerated into a series of unfortunate events. The winning team had 160 total yards and was on the wrong side of nearly every statistic except two of the big ones: turnovers and penalties.

"Any team can come back and beat you at the end of the game if you give them the amount of chances we gave those guys," Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot said. "Put it like this: We're lucky to get out of here with a victory."

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

You won't be that lucky on Sunday...

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

KC,
On paper, these seem to be two fairly evenly matched teams.

I do give a slight edge to the Redskins, because I think they can get to Warner.

Luck may apply to the coin toss, everything else is cause and effect.

Posted by: stumped | September 17, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

A few stats from that game:

Washington total offense: 160 yards;
JC passing: 12/18 for 95 yards;
CP rushing: 43 yards (give the dude credit; he scored two TD's in those 43 yards);
Kurt Warner 27/41, 282 yards, 2 TD's (& two picks, ouch!)

We shot ourselves in the foot, 'cause we owned your sorry butts. And that was a better defense you had last year. Rogers and Smoot gonna need extra help, which will open up things for Edgerrin James. 27-14 Cardinals....

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter had the only sack for the Redskins last time out; Calvin Pace had our only sack.

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Stumped; if you guys get to Warner, long day for us. If we get to Campbell a few times, his confidence is shot the rest of the game and we can concentrate on stopping Portis.

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

KC,
I'll give you this, it's Week Two and in your division, it looks like a cake walk for the Cards to a division title.

Just hope that they don't find some way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Posted by: stumped | September 17, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Billy Bob and Lester were talking one afternoon when Billy Bob told Lester, "You know, I reckon I'm about ready for a vacation. Only this year I'm gonna do it a little different.
The last few years, I took your suggestions as to where to go.
Three years ago you said to go to Hawaii. I went to Hawaii and Marie got pregnant.
Then two years ago, you told me to go to the Bahamas, and Marie got pregnant again.
Last year, you suggested Tahiti and darned if Marie didn't get pregnant again."
Lester asks Billy Bob, "So, what you gonna do this year that's different?"
Billy Bob says, "This year, I'm taking Marie with me."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Stumped has done his homework. These teams are pretty evenly matched. 'Skins registered 4 sacks and given up three; Cards registered 6 sacks and given up 5. Something's gotta give here. Warner's playing lights out ,but he's old; Campbell is young but playing uneven in his career thus far (but a good game last week). Can Campbell be consistent week to week is the question I'd ask. The other question I'd ask is if this is a resurgence of the Rams Kurt Warner, or if it's a blip. One thing for sure; Matt Leinart will be checking out your cheerleaders pretty closely. Keep 'em under lock and key from that wag...

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I would really, really like to say the Skins are hands down better than the Cards, but we really won't know until they play it.

I should also add that I've only been to three Redskins game in my life.

The First was at RFK as our SB years were coming to a close, the Cardinals won (and I knew we were in serious trouble).

The second was in AZ 2000 or 2001 I believe, another loss.

The third, the playoff loss to the Shehawks.

The good news is, I won't be going this Sunday (so it won't be on me).

Posted by: stumped | September 17, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Believe me Stumped, if anybody can fall into a barrel of boobs and come out sucking their thumb, it would be the Cardinals....

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, you seem to be off your ever-lovin' rocker with the link you posted. Just my observation of course.

Posted by: King Card | September 17, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

King Card, does your lack of running game worry you?

Posted by: kost52 | September 17, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Here's to a good game.
stumped out.

Posted by: stumped | September 17, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

The Giants owe that championship to three things: (1) the cowboys tendency to choke on turkey; and (2) the Giants defense stepping up immensely in the preseason; and (3) Asante Samuel inexplicably dropping a terrible interception thrown by Eli late in the Superbowl.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 17, 2008 4:29 PM

You forgot the most important thing: that big wad of gum Justin Timberlake stuck on Tyree's helmet.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see McMullen fumble that catch away against SF?

Also, does Horance Gant know Rose from the Golden Girls? Didn't they go to the same college (St. Olaf)?

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 17, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Betts and Thomas should have increased roles at WR, not just kick-off. I'd like to see Betts in the slot as a WR on a few plays, and let Thomas fly and see if he can burn anybody.

Did Mix sign with anybody? Why not bring him back? What about giving a work-out to the guy who was really popular but kept getting hurt? (blanking on the name, someone help me...) ESPY! There we go. Any chance we bring any of those guys in for a looksie?

Posted by: Bryan | September 17, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Espy doesn't know this offense any better than me or you. Or Thomas and Kelly for that matter. What the hell, bring him in!

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 17, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

King Card???? Hahahahah.... I can't believe there is somebody who is actually a Cardinals fan!!!! When was the last time they won ten games? When was the last time they won a playoff game? by the way... Fu#$ McBush!!!!!

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!! | September 17, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Bringing in someone new requires cutting someone. Its not so simple this time of year ... or so Brooks hopes.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

What I mean to say is that it doesn't seem like a good idea to cut a healthy guy who just made the roster. New hires are what you do when someone has to go on the IR.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Mix is still available. Espy appears to have turned in his NFLPA card.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hell, put Kelly on IR. One catch and he's hurt again? This just isn't his year. We need guys that can play now.

Posted by: Bryan | September 17, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

What benefit is it to announce that Gus Frerotte is the starter "for the rest of the season"?

Why not just do one of those "we're gonna go with Gus here" things, so if he stinks up the joint you don't look quite so ridiculous?

Having said that, I did pick him up the first, and therefore preeminent, RI FF League.

Posted by: SMACK | September 17, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Is the practice squad guy, Aroshowhatever, who is he again? Is he the speedy guy we stole from Green Bay or am I combining former practice squad guys? If he's active, is he a candidate to steal punt returns from Randle El?

Is everyone in agreement that throwing Moss back there is insane when we're so thin at WR already?

Posted by: Bryan | September 17, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep. New thread. Aroshomandu (sp?) was a receiver at Auburn when Jason Campbell was a senior and Mr. A caught a bunch of long balls in the SEC championship blow out of Tennessee. Search Youtube.com from "Jason Campbell SEC championship". Mr. A has made a roster or two, but not for very long. Kind of like another Anthony Mix, only not currently hurt.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

New thread is about Vinny Cerrato's new radio show.

Posted by: dcsween | September 17, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse