Credit Dockery with Mike Williams's Return

Tackle Mike Williams, who is trying to cut down from 410 pounds to about 370 to get on the field with the Redskins, continued his workout regimen during mini-camp but did not take part in real drills. Williams is still surprised be back in the NFL, after not playing since 2005 and with his weight ballooning as high as 450 pounds.

His road to Redskins Park was unique. Williams is a college teammate of Redskins guard Derrick Dockery, and their wives are very good friends. So with the Dockerys expecting their second child this spring, Williams and his wife came to stay with them to help with the new addition.

Williams had been trying to lose weight for health reasons, with an outside chance of renewing his football career. The fourth overall pick in 2003, he found his timetable was accelerated when Dockery told team officials about Williams's progress and he was signed.

"We came up here to help Dock, and in the midst of that I was still working out," Williams said, "and Derrick received a call from [Executive Vice President] Vinny [Cerrato] and asked me if I want to come in here and do a workout.

"And I came over here and I was confident in the fact that I can do a good enough workout. I know there's still some things I need to work on, but it felt so good when I did. It felt l like I didn't miss a day, which obviously I have missed quite a bit of days. My footwork and drive blocking and pass blocking, it'll only get better form here on out."

Williams said Cerrato and Coach Jim Zorn put him on a detailed workout plan and he hopes to be able to participate in June organized team activities. "I think we'll be in shape by the time things go live," he said. "Now I have a target goal in my head ... when I get to training camp, and hopefully I can be impressive."

The Redskins are evaluating several players as potential starting right tackles, with Stephon Heyer tops on the depth chart for now.

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 3, 2009; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Offer Deals to Washington, Hackett (Updated)
Next: Wynn Looks Lean and Mean, Thanks to Strahan

Comments

Back to the Bridges signing, I'm glad to see us address the O-line and proudly add a member of the TMRzoo NFL Total Jackass Team (TJT) 2008: Offense.

The only "bad" news is, we could have cornered the market and had a majority share (2/9) of the prestigious TJT!!! ...if only Snyderatto had successfully given away 2 of our first round picks last year in exchange for Ocho Stinko!

Posted by: Alan4 | May 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Firsty

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for mikey to go back to being the guy chosen fourth in the 2002 draft. Vinny must see him as a serious contributor to completely ignore the OL in the draft. FYI JLC the Redskins employ

John Hastings Head Strength/Conditioning
Bobby Crumpler Assistant Strength
Harrison Bernstein Assistant Strength

These are probably the guys who have heavy will on a detailed workout program. Now where is the daily weigh in.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So basically Williams was gonna be a nanny for Dock and we signed him? Oy.

Posted by: Eze167 | May 3, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"So Vinny called and said -- and I'm paraphrasing here -- that aside from bringing back Dock they'd been neglecting their O line. Like, to the extent where a guy who'd been out of football for three years on a morbid obesity jag has a chance to make the roster...

"It's hard to resist when you get that call. Vinny can be so persuasive. I mean, have you ever heard a grown man cry?

...

"So that's basically how we got here. Desperate times, you know? I mean, what the hell, why not give it a try?"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 3, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to him and all... I just find it really astounding how dysfunctional this front office can be sometimes.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 3, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Finally, well now we can stop worrying.....?

Posted by: steveets | May 3, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

If anyone can get Williamses, body & brain in good working order, its Joe Bugle.

Williams, could be a f-ing road-grader with the right offensive scheme & coaching. The Skins have both.

Good luck Mike!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | May 3, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Like the Hackett signging for a vet minimum (at least I think that's what it was). Big target, knows the system and can step in when/if the twins don't take a step forward this year.

Washington sounds like a special teams addition who will take the place of Thrash.

On the O-line issue, is our current backup at left tackle Devin Clark??

Posted by: p1funk | May 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Bethard, Mr. Gibbs, and Mr. Casserly ain't walking through that door. In the case of Andre Johnson, He played DT @ Penn State and we drafted him to play G/OT w/ the 29th pick. He was really only highly rated on our board. Still mad about that pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 3, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

True they are not walking thru that door,but what was the common denominator??

I believe it would be some no named guy we like to call Buges who was the 1 molding such unhearalded talent.

I think he can probably help along guys who have started in this league

Posted by: jumbo5383 | May 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Washington was offered but wanted to see if he had a better opportunity w/ B-more. He has never contributed in his 6 yrs in the league. If hackett could stay healthy he would step right in to the 2/3 spot, and that my friends is truely sad.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 3, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big JLC fan, but I must give credit where it's due; excellent minicamp coverage by Redskin Insider.

If Jasno will stick to being a newshound and get over the personal bias, he can be the best out there.

Posted by: Jason10 | May 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

On the O-line issue, is our current backup at left tackle Devin Clark??

Posted by: p1funk | May 3, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think it's Stephon Heyer, actually. Clark is working to become the RG.

Posted by: TDawg1 | May 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 3, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

True they are not walking thru that door,but what was the common denominator??

I think he can probably help along guys who have started in this league

Posted by: jumbo5383 | May 3, 2009 2:21 PM

I agree with you. In the 80's and 90's we had the best coaching, scouting, and front office in the game. That is certainly not the case now with the exception of Bugel. The game is completely different now with the level of scouting and front office savy that exists in the league. Gotta remember that players win games and who is picking the players, none other that Belt Buckle Danny. Just another feather in Gibbs hat to have 2 playoff teams in four years with a high payroll and overall weak talent to work with.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 3, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

True they are not walking thru that door,but what was the common denominator??

The common denominator was a gentleman named Jack Kent Cooke.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | May 3, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Andre Johnson, He played DT @ Penn State and we drafted him to play G/OT w/ the 29th pick. He was really only highly rated on our board. Still mad about that pick.Posted by: Diesel"

Yep, that was a doozy. Here's a link to an article on the worst 1st round picks ever. Johnson is in there, along with Pat Ramsay.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the year they drafted Andre, they also picked up Steven Davis in the 4th. Really the only player out of that draft.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

p1fu:"With the drafting of Marko Mitchell, though, something has to give. Last year we only carried 5 WRs. This year we could carry as many as 7?"

Don't you think Marko is a practice squad guy?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I welcome the lack of venom in JLC's last couple of reports!

May the Force be with the Redskins!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 3, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The Williams signing is a good move. This would still be true even if the Skins HAD drafted an offensive lineman with the 1st round pick like they should've. Here's a guy who had top 5 pick talent that they are getting for dirt cheap. If he loses the weight and regains his form, he can be a serious contributer or at least add much needed depth. If he doesn't pan out, at least he didn't cost much.

Posted by: kaasmaster | May 3, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Are the Skins showing interest in Guard Brian Waters and Tackle Levi Jones ?

So what if they are 'old'? We have old guys, who can't last a whole season. So, why not load up with old guys to provide depth along the OLine?

Posted by: friendofalobar | May 3, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

From Nanny to the NFL would be a great story...

Posted by: bexl74 | May 3, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

JLC,Williams was on the field doing drills. Where do you get info from a Frosted Flakes box? Come on give us better insight. Ill check with the cheerleaders next time.

Posted by: toyota44 | May 4, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse