Schweigert Ailing as Kids' Week Begins

Because of a scheduling conflict, I'll be chatting at 11:15 today.

Safety Stuart Schweigert is the latest addition to the group of injured players working on the sideline with trainers during the morning practice, the last that is open to the public, at Redskins Park. His right leg is wrapped; the team reported nothing with him Sunday, so we'll see what they say today. With three injured safeties, Shawn Springs is back at free safety.

Besides Schweigert, the list of injured players off to the side is: Erasmus James, Rocky McIntosh, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Anthony Mix, Kareem Moore, LaRon Landry and Chris Wilson. With all the injuries and a preseason game looming Sunday, this figures to be kids' week.

Jason Taylor isn't really taking part in the 11-on-11s and with all the DTs bangeds up, Demetric Evans got a lot of reps on the inside and not at end. Anthony Montgomery and Rian Wallace are scheduled for hand surgery today and will be out at least two weeks. Cornelius Griffin is back with the first-team defense.

With Taylor not really taking part and Evans working inside, rookie DE Rob Jackson is getting a lot of work with the first team. Early on, he was jumping offsides -- and drawing the ire of Greg Blache.

Todd Collins continues to look lost at times. He just threw another pick on a little check down and is mis-firing on screen passes. He has not had a good first week of camp.

At the beginning of practice, Clinton Portis got everyone's attention (except the medical staff's) by leaving practice on a cart during position drills. He quickly returned via the cart (why walk when you can ride?) and was fine, so this most likely was a minor equipment problem.

Stephon Heyer continues to stand in for Chris Samuels in 11-on-11 drills. ... Carlos Rogers is still not taking part in 11-on-11. ... The morning session ended at 10:27. ...

And then there's Chad Rinehart ...

I like what I've seen from third-round pick Chad Rinehart to this point - although admittedly your head is on a swivel with multiple fields in use most of the time - and this could be a big week for guys like Andrew Crummey, Devin Clark, Justin Geisinger and Tavares Washington. After the first series Sunday in Canton, I expect the bulk of the first-team offense to say adios, which means those reserve linemen will get some heavy work (the Colts won't be playing their stars, either. Guys like Manning, Freeney and Sanders are not healthy, while Harrison is just working back).

J Reid, former BMOC at USC and general Trojan buff, was able to give a good little thumbnail sketch on Fred Matua, as well. Matua is the journeyman O lineman the Skins signed yesterday, and a USC man. J Reid says he did a feature story on Matua back in the day. He was a promising player at USC but opted to leave early for the pros, and it ended up being a mistake.

He's bounced around practice squads and struggled to catch on, but at 24 remains plenty young enough to take a chance on. Barring injuries, he likely faces an uphill climb to stick around here, but this is a crazy business and you never know how it's gonna shake out. He'd best start making up for lost time today.

Jim Zorn essentially said he does not expect any of his banged-up legion of players to participate today. This will be a week to watch guys like Burl Toler, Billy McMullen, Maurice Mann and Horance Gant, who are trying to stick as the final WR on the roster.

With Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Anthony Mix all out with the hamstring blues, and veterans like Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El and James Thrash likely not to play a whole lot Sunday, there will be no shortage of plays for Toler, et al.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 28, 2008; 10:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Unrestricted: July 28
Next: Collins Struggles -- and Other Practice Buzz

Comments

firsties

Posted by: bobeaston | July 28, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Do we now have all the Devins in the NFL?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 28, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to see that Kerry Brown had been cut, I had hoped he'd stick with the team. I'm still holding out hope that Crummey makes it. The Redskins could use one UDFA offensive linemen make the team this year like Heyer did last year. Hopefully Crummey is that guy.

Posted by: Greg | July 28, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

From Monday Morning Quarterback

"I think I am smitten with Jason Campbell. The guy's going to be good. Maybe really good. He's sure of himself, throws a nice, soft spiral downfield -- harder when he has to -- and is more confident and self-assured than anyone learning the eighth different offensive system in his last nine years of football has the right to be. (True fact. Dating back to his senior year in high school, Campbell has had to learn eight different offenses -- and this is the first time he's been in some form of the West Coast offense since high school. I defy anyone who watched the Redskins practice on Friday say they don't think this guy's got the tools to be great. Four or five times in a row he threw passes 20 yards or longer in the air in wideout-versus-corner passing drills, and each time he hit the receiver in perfect stride. Now, he's not throwing those passes with Jason Taylor and Andre Carter planning to steamroll him, because quarterbacks aren't touched by teammates in July. Will he be All-Ashburn instead of All-Pro? Maybe. But this display was one of the best I've seen at a summer practice in a long, long time."

Posted by: Peter King | July 28, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Do we now have all the Devins in the NFL?

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 28, 2008 8:39 AM

I think not....maybe we can get Hester to join us.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Three of the four active Devins will be around for the HoF game, cload. The Clots apparently have a WR named Devin Aromashodu.

We get bonus points for Derek Devine, whose name contains a stealth Devin.

Maybe Devin Hester will stop by and round out the field.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 28, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Trivia... Devin Aromashodu was an Auburn teammate of Jason Campbell's. How 'bout that.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 28, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I was at training camp yesterday and Jason Campbell looked pretty darn good. Sanata looked like the wind. Really fast. When Jason Campbell was giving me his autograph, my Dad said, "Hey Jason, how's the knee?" and Campbell was like, "Feels Great!"

I'm siked. I think this is the year he turns it on.

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | July 28, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh, dear. Now Peter King has a mancrush??? Hit refresh.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

What's the word on Malcolm's hammy? I heard some rough estimates on how long Devin Thomas will be out, just wondering if there has been any chatter about when MK will return.

Posted by: Dan | July 28, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

any word on tryon and how he's holding up?

Posted by: rich20ssu | July 28, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Almost read this thing 3 times before I realized I was caught up.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Nothing firm yet on Kelly; we'll see what Zorn says today. The team had been hoping for a midweek return.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Schweigert's right leg is wrapped. And Jasno reports that rookie DE Rob Jackson keeps jumping offsides in 11 on 11 drills -- and has Greg Blache jumping all over him.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I really could see CP just taking a ride on the cart for fun and messing with the media and fans. We would definitely all panic with another preseason injury.

Fantasy question for you guys. I usually draft CP if I can because the Skins have usually been a run heavy team but I don't know this offense that well. Anyone know who may be the most likely to get some points? Portis still running a lot or is Cooley a big target? Any help would be nice.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Cornelius Griffin is back with the first-team defense. Stephon Heyer continues to stand in for Chris Samuels in 11-on-11 drills. Carlos Rogers is still not taking part in 11-on-11.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

And Jasno reports that Todd Collins is still struggling. He threw another pick on a little check down and is mis-firing screen passes.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Cyn, is it weird that a lot of articles (WP, ESPN, CBS, etc) always tend to say something small about the punting competition? I know I think it's a big deal but didn't expect the media to say anything (except the WP)

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I heart CynCty!

Good to see CG back

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

At least we know TC was a one system wonder.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 9:52 AM

I think as Zorn was an understudy of Holmgren, and as Shaun Alexander was a touchdown machine in his offense (even though he was completely overrated as a runner), there's no reason to shy away from Portis.

Although Cooley would definitely not be a bad option either. Why not shoot for both?

Posted by: psps23 | July 28, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates Cindy!

Posted by: swb | July 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Actually I had both on my team last year with Santana on the bench...had high hopes although he really didn't get healthy.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Kerry Brown will make the practice squad? He seems a bit raw but chalk-full of potential. He seems just like the right kind of guy that Buges likes. Any word?

Posted by: moreno4prez | July 28, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | July 28, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

At least we know TC was a one system wonder.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:00 AM

You say that like it's a good thing. Let's hope you're wrong, because he's all we've got at the #2 QB. Devine and Brennan aren't making a run at the job.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just because Collins is struggling, that doesn't mean he won't be the No. 2 QB...And I think you all know how I feel about the punting competition.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I can't say me thinking he's a one system wonder is good but at least all TC lovers won't be calling for him to start anytime soon...although I think we will have some trouble at backup QB this year. Just keep fingers crossed for a healthy year from JC.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Cyn, we know he'll be the #2 QB...that's what worries me a little.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

In response to something on last thread.

Someone should let Mr. King know he was in a WC offense in college for a year.

I know Campbell has played for 8 different coordinators, but is that really 8 different offenses?

I can't even name 8 different offense styles.

West Cost
Coryell
Option
Spread
Run and Gun
Flexbone
Smash-mouth

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 28, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Collins' "struggles" are clearly politically motivated... the front office and coaching staff told Collins to look bad in training camp and thereby bolster Jason Campbell's confidence.

The coaches all privately believe Collins is the superior quarterback, but they are under orders to pamper Jason Campbell and make it seem like he's the true #1 on the team.

* end Todd Collins spin machine *

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 28, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

ColtBrennan!ColtBrennan!ColtBrennan!

I'm glad Collins helped us during the push last year, but if he really had anything consistent he would have been a player in this league a long time ago...imho.

And despite what many say - I'm still high on

ColtBrennan!ColtBrennan!ColtBrennan!

...go figure.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

isn't it Fun and Gun?

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't recall much fun.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan may be good but he'll be a while so I think we can revisit him in 2-3 years.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

alex,

Here's the eighth offense: the hunker-down-run-for-three offense, perfected by Gibbs/Saunders.

Why do you think he was in a WC offense at Auburn? King just interviewed Campbell and Zorn. Wouldn't they have told King if Campbell had been in a WC offense?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Monster passes and not knowing who is going to come down with them isn't fun in the "fun and gun" system? Always good for suspense.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

At least we know TC was a one system wonder.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:00 AM

I have to agree with you on that one.

Posted by: jm220 | July 28, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

That's the prevailing logic svx. But this is a crazy league.

I'd love to see him get 2-3 years on the bench. I would love to never have to play a rookie. I hope CP stays healthy & good.

But if CP goes down and TC is throwing piksix's in the flat...

Was Ferrotte a rookie when he had to take over for Heath-Bar?

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

poopie jokes. classic. [:-|

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Practice ended about five minutes ago.

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, any thoughts on how Fred Davis has looked? Also, with the 7th round S, Kareem Moore having yet to hit the field, is there a chance he's going on the IR, or would they just cut him?

Posted by: Greg | July 28, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

At least we know TC was a one system wonder.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:00 AM

I have to agree with you on that one.

Posted by: jm220 | July 28, 2008 10:26 AM

Sign me up with you two guys. I say if any QB doesn't master a new system in a week, then he can only be a "one system wonder."

I think we should cut him now and look at the list of available QB's and bring one in each week until a guy shows that he's a two-system wonder.

Posted by: d-bag | July 28, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: d-bag | July 28, 2008 10:35 AM

JC is picking it up and doing well.

Posted by: jm220 | July 28, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Dime-Bag Darryl? I thot u wer dead.

Are you telling me you're confident with our QB stable? I'm optimistic, but by no means confident.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Here's a really good write-up on how why both Jason Taylor and the Defense as a whole should both be better in 08 than they were in 07. Its got me really pumped for the regular season and I think it will do the same for you:

Posted by: talkshowhost | July 28, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Al Borges ran a version of the WCO during the 2004 season at Auburn. King is wrong.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | July 28, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"After arriving at Auburn in 2004, a traditional rushing offense power, Borges found a deeply talented set of running backs including Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown and further modified his version of the West Coast offense to a run-first orientation he has referred to as the "Gulf Coast" offense."

Posted by: Wikipedia | July 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

we're calling him a one system wonder because it should not be reported that he is doing so poorly...we're not hearing the same about JC. He is completing passes whereas TC just looks plain bad.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Anon,
Every 3rd article I read about the Campbell offense thing has said his offense Senior year at Auburn was WC, that's why.

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 28, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

JC = Eight system genius
TC = Slow learner

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

nate, you do know that you're banking on snyder and cerrato's great ability to find talent in the draft (especially a QB) in your arguement of jc will be a good qb right? history is on our side. there was absolutely no reason to get a QB if they thought JC was the next eli manning.

name a team that selected a QB that high with a young solid starter.

Posted by: dealer | July 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Jasons best year in Auburn was his senior year 2004 when they split the national Title. That was ran under the west coast offense and basically the reason he moved itno the first round of the draft.

Posted by: Paul | July 28, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

dealer, Remember, JC was a Gibbs pick, not Snyder/Cerrato.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

here is a list of FA QB's on NFL.com who you want over Collins?

Daunte Culpepper QB

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 28, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

JC = Jack of All Trades
TC = Master of One

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

* end Todd Collins spin machine *

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 28, 2008 10:20 AM

I know this was tongue-in-cheek Nate, but this sounds a lot like Sports Guru...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I didn't think Lorenzon was a FA. Tim Hasselbeck would probably be my alternative but I would agree there isn't too much better than TC.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The Truth says blah blah blah blah blah.

Posted by: The Truth | July 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Host, thanks for the article. That fan did a LOT of homework. Nice to see.

Not that the author mentioned it, but one of my families favorite sayings from Gibbs 1.0 even was "Prevent defense prevents you from winning". I believe last season was a fantastic example of this...

Not that Double G was running a true prevent d in the 4th Q all the time, but it was the same thing - pull the linebackers into coverage, don't pressure the QB yadda yadda.

And the results speak for themselves. It was very frustrating to watch and I'm disappointed Grilliams wasn't taken to task last year seemingly by anyone but me.

So HTTR and Welcome Tango!!

Let's get us some QB scalps.

...oh & for gosh sakes, if you're going to continue to support a team as un-PC as this one, at least revel in the imagery.

Rok Rok AUN!

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

the truth always says that... hahahahaha.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

here is a list of FA QB's on NFL.com who you want over Collins?

Posted by: Alex35332 | July 28, 2008 11:02 AM

None of those guys. They're all other teams' throwaways. Think big. I want the best for our backup. I want Brett Favre.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The 'hefty lefty' Lorenzen, signed with the Colts.

Much ado about nothing regarding this TC back and forth. He's not going anywhere...

Seems like people would prefer the team do poorly, just so they can bash Snyder and Cerrato

Posted by: Greg | July 28, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

name a team that selected a QB that high with a young solid starter.

Posted by: dealer | July 28, 2008 11:00 AM

Can you explain how the end of the 6th round is that high? Colt was drafted because you need 2 qbs in the nfl and collins is 38 years old. If he doesent pan out all that was lost was a 6th round pick it was a good move.

Posted by: P | July 28, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Jared Lorenzon is with the Colts

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | July 28, 2008 10:41 AM

Thanks TSH, but I just can't allow myself to get my hopes up. Last time I got REALLY excited about a Redskins season was 2006 and 2000 before that. I think we all know the results there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The Truth would take Byron Leftwich over Todd Collins anyday. The Truth says Leftwich is one of the most underrated QB's in the league.

Posted by: The Truth | July 28, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'll take Leftwich over TC if he can move at all. And Lorenzen is a beast - just put in 'heavy jumbo' and eat up the clock for half the game...

Some of those other ones I got no clue.. definitely not Culpepper, he's lost it.

Posted by: Dik | July 28, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I like Leftwich myself. Dont think I want that on the Skins but I predict a second act for him somewhere, or at least hope.

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 28, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

and JC being gibbs pick and gibbs' reluctance to play mark brunell over playing him...said a lot about what gibbs thought of JC.

P, i'm an idiot. you're right i thought he was selected in the 4th round. i apologize. i'm rooting for colt 45 as well.

Posted by: dealer | July 28, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Can we at least see the man play in the preseason before we have Todd Collins on the street? He's been playing in the same offense for almost a decade, and he's got to learn (or re-learn) THIS offense. Of course JC is going to look better; he's accustomed to changing offenses every year!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I would want a solid #2, not anyone that would threaten JC. So no Culpepper or Leftwich who still think they deserve a #1.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 28, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Zorn wants a QB who has a short arm motion, a quick release and a quick accurate delivery, along with decent foot speed for mobility and escape ability. Byron Leftwich has a long, slow delivery, accuracy problems, and is not particularly mobile.

Byron may be a sentimental hometown favorite, but his skills don't fit the Zorn system.

Posted by: Some Truth is Better than Others | July 28, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

There's a reason JC is performing better than TC right now in picking up Zorn's offense. It's the same reason that JC is our starter, and TC is our backup.

Campbell is a better quarterback!

What do you guys expect? Of course Campbell is playing better than Collins right now. That doesn't mean that Collins isn't a quality backup. His ability to read defenses, throw a soft touch pass, and react quickly hasn't declined. He just needs time to learn the system - as any quarterback would.

And anybody that thinks Colt Brennan was hand-picked to be the future starter of this franchise is out of their mind. You don't wait until the 6th round to pick your next franchise QB (and don't respond with some lame Tom Brady comment, because every franchise passed on Brady multiple times - including the Patriots. Nobody expected him to become a starter, let alone one of the GOAT).

Posted by: psps23 | July 28, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | July 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

RE: Lorenzen signing

I don't want to say Jason Taylor is skinny but now a \Colt QB outweighs him by 40 pounds.

But seriously folks, should QBs be like kids in PeeWee football. Above a certain size and they can't play?

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Loved the positvity from that article, talkshowhost. Keeping fingers crossed that this week's injury bug is hangnails for Frosty - not that I want anything bad to happen to him. I just want the rookie to punt him on the street.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 28, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

+++With Saunders gone, Todd Collins signing here surprised me at the time, and for exactly this reason. WTF was he (and were we) thinking?

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | July 28, 2008 11:32 AM++++

Wow, Mantooth, talk about your SYSTEM quarterback. It took him, what, ten years to learn Saunders system? At that rate, he'll be older than Blanda by the time he's familiar with Zorn's.

If Collins continues to struggle, I wouldn't be shocked to see Zorn stash Brennan on injured reserve "hip is taking too long to come around" and pick up some vet QB as backup, say someone dumped from the 35 QBs currently in Tampa Bay.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | July 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So what if the Todd looks like crap. It only matters if JC goes down. Okay, it matters. Todd show your fans there should be some irrational controversy.

Posted by: bangkokben | July 28, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

ABOUT BRINGING A VET BACKUP QB

Oh wait, I forgot. All the Redskins free cap money is now invested in a 34 year old DE.

So they BETTER not need a veteran backup QB, or have to bring in a CB or linebacker if, say, Springs and/or McIntosh goes down.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

RE: Lorenzen signing

Posted by: Corkczar | July 28, 2008 11:34 AM

Lorenzen outweighs some of his LINEMAN by 40 pounds!

I'm actually little intrigued by the guy; I hope he gets a chance to play in the league.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"And anybody that thinks Colt Brennan was hand-picked to be the future starter of this franchise is out of their mind. You don't wait until the 6th round to pick your next franchise QB"

have you ever heard of Tom Brady???

Wow.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

brown, you are probably wise to refrain from getting your hopes up but i look at our team and i really have a good feeling about this team. This team looks noticabely better than it did at the same time last year, and much better than it did the end of last season. Going in to this season, i was tempering my optomism for three reasons:

1) Jason Campbell. Is he the real deal? I had my doubts and was very vocal about him here. But I have heard nothing but good things about him and even peter king - who would love to find a reason to criticize anything about our team has been RAVING about Campbell. I'm no longer worreid about campbell.

2. No pass rush - This has been completely solved by Jason Taylor. Its hard to imagine one player completely changing a dynamic of the game, but Taylor does just that. I'm no longer worried about our defense generating a pass rush.

3. Zorn. He's a first year head coach who has never called plays before. This is the only concern that i have ANY doubts about, but everything i hear only diminishes my doubts. Sure he's inexperienced, but can he really be worse than a HC who is constantly in conflict with the offensive coordinator over what philosophy the offense will take, a guy who calls two consecutive timeouts to ice a kicker in a critical point in the season?

The way i see it, we've eliminated all the major problems with this team from last year and upgraded significantly at every position that needed to be upgraded. I'm very very VERY excited about this team in 08.

Posted by: talkshowhost | July 28, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Hi all, an ugly day or two up here for comments...

* RI fantasy post *

I've reminded the final 4 o/s 'owners' to sign up for the RI fantasy league. I was also going to send out an email to ask when people would like to do the draft.

* end RI fantasy post *

Corkczar, are you STILL griping over Jason Taylor? Maybe you guys should send him back!! :)

He may have weighed in at 244, but I guarantee he won't be there by season opener, he'll be back in the 250s same as always. For some reason you seem to think that every running play will be directed at him - and only him - for every down he plays. Why is that? And if they bring a safety up to the line if that's going on, what then? Still can't stop them?

If they aren't trying to double-team JT it's probably a running play, so you might actually get some 'clues' from the offensive formations. But presumably no-one will read those....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 28, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The Truth would like to join a fantasy league. The Truth will frown if he is not wanted. The Truth looks hopeful.

Posted by: The Truth | July 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

have you ever heard of Tom Brady???

Wow.

Posted by: | July 28, 2008 11:43 AM

Really? Should this even be responded to? I guess I'll just have to re-post what I originally wrote directly after the quote you took from me:

"You don't wait until the 6th round to pick your next franchise QB (and don't respond with some lame Tom Brady comment, because every franchise passed on Brady multiple times - including the Patriots. Nobody expected him to become a starter, let alone one of the GOAT)."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

have you ever heard of Tom Brady???

Wow.

------------------------------------

I love how you intentionally blew over the latter half of that poster's quote. Nice!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"et al"

smh.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

collins started going down-hill from the seattle game when he botched a play and tried to pin it on sellers.

Posted by: jake | July 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Tim Hasselbeck, just in case his wife comes to a game.

Posted by: The View | July 29, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse