Bill Lazor To Seattle; Jack Burns Is Gone; Redskins Never Contacted Grimm

Redskins QB Coach Bill Lazor acccepted an offer to take the same job with Seattle, league sources said, after spending a few days in Seattle interviewing. Lazor was not going to retain his title here.

Jack Burns, who coached the QBs here in 2004 and was an offensive assistant the other three years, has cleared out his office and is no longer with the team, league sources said. Bob Saunders left earlier this week, so the team has extra positions to play with. However, league sources said the staff is not expected to grow much om the offensive side, with new OC Jim Zorn perhaps bringing in one younger coach to assist him.

Don Breaux, another longtime Joe Gibbs coach, remains with the team in what will likely be a consulting position. Joe Bugel, the other member of the staff who dates back to Gibbs 1.0, coaches the O Line as he has the last 4 years. (He had a helluva year last year, by the way, with that unit).

On the defensive side, the Redskins still will fill the vacant D Line position. They interviewed Larry Brooks for the job over a week ago but he was not offered it and is not expected to get it at this point, sources said.

Also, as much as it would make sense to many of us, former Redskin player and coach Russ Grimm, a stud O Lineman and an assistant coach with Arizona, has never interviewed for this job and has not been contacted to do so, league sources said. One of owner Dan Snyder's planes is en route to Phoenix, according to flight tracking software, which may or may not be related to the fact that Jim Fassel lives in Scottsdale.

Some have speculated that Grimm, who lives in Pheonix now, may be destined to get on that plane, But league sources said the Redskins did not contact Arizona for permission to speak to him and if the plane is there for him, well, it's news to him.

Maybe it's landing for a round of golf. Maybe someone in ownership left his wallet in Pheonix at the Super Bowl and they're flying back to pick it up. We can only guess for now.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 7, 2008; 12:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spags To Stay With the Giants
Next: Steve Spagnuolo Follow Up

Comments

First?

Posted by: Moose33 | February 7, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Awesome picture of Vinny (worth the click!):

Also, from a Giants Insider type blog under heading "Redskin fans Scared Fassel may be Coach":

ciucca: lol! I have to give the Redskins fans some credit they are *** that Fassel may soon be their new coach. All you need to do is peruse the Skin boards to see this. I for one hope Jimmy gets the job. This is the same feeling I had when Gibbs came back for a second tenure. They will be a non factor for years to come. Now if only the Cowboys will hire Ray Handley.

Bluedude2: I don't think Fassel is really a Ray Handley type coach. He just lost control here. If he learned from that he could be good for them.

ThereCanBeOnlyOneLT: The Skins hiring Fassel certainly be the best offseaosn move for the Giants, and we wouldn't even have to do anything.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 7, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I SAY RIGGINS FOR HC!!!

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 7, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON (AP)
Sources close to Spagnuolo told FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer that one of the major factors in his decision to pull out was that he wants to be able to hire his own staff rather than join a team with the coaching staff already in place.

Posted by: ga8085 | February 7, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well said by the Giants fans. We should learn from their mistakes and imagine that was with Ernie Accorsi (I think?) as their GM. Imagine Fossil here with no GM and no players and no draft etc. etc.

Posted by: hardhitter | February 7, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

ga8085...link to the Jay Glazer thing, please?

Posted by: hardhitter | February 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Does the NFL substance abuse policy also apply to coaches? What's Marion Barry doing these days? (Besides lines of magic powder.)

Posted by: freakzilla | February 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON (AP)

Posted by: ga8085 | February 7, 2008 02:02 PM

This was no secret well before he spent the last two days at Danny's mansion.

Posted by: drbatchelor | February 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

*********POLL QUESTION**************

WHAT'S DAN SNYDER:

A GIANT DOUCHE?

or

A TURD SANDWICH?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 7, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And don't worry about Jack Burns. He's always got a fall-back job available at his uncle's nuclear plant.

Eeexcellent.

Posted by: freakzilla | February 7, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Repost from the last thread:

This is for the Giants fan who posted his perspective on Fassel: Thanks, Mr. Wolf. I was actually wondering how the Fassel era was remembered by a Giants fan, and I think you gave us an even-handed account of his tenure in New York. It also confirms my belief that he would not be a good fit here. We already hired a tutor for JC when we hired Zorn. Meeks might make a good coach, but with Blache as DC, I don't see a defensive-minded coach being the right selection. I'm still pulling for Mooch, personally. I think he has the right personality to hobnob with Snyder and Cerrato, and still be somewhat productive as a coach. Just my opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions...

Edit: The news that Redskin One is en route to Arizona gives me a feeling of dread like a lead weight in my stomach. Say it ain't so, Jasno...

Posted by: jaradel | February 7, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | February 7, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just when you think things couldn't get worse. He goes and get Fassel. F DAN! F Fassel!

Posted by: jm220 | February 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Release the hounds!

Redskins One is in Phoenix!

You mean all the kvetching, all the emails, all the letter writing, all the time spent on this blog, all the protests, the whole Hundred Man March, the magnificent oratory, the random nonsense from barno, the Chili Cheese Fries from Johnny Rockets, the prayers and incense, the crossing of fingers and toes and other body parts, the public drunkenness, and the grammatically incorrect stylings of JLaC were all for naught?

The truth hurts. We have no power. Individually we are irrelevant. Together we are a lot more irrelevant.

A dark day has dawned on RI.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Who is this 'league source' you have been referring too? Are you in bed with the Vin-ster?

Posted by: theslick50 | February 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I also remember when you contacted Fassel and he said he wasn't interviewed. A week later we found out he lied to you.

Meeks or Grimm!

Also, Did you know that Bugel's title is Assistant HC/Offensive Line....

Buges or Meeks or Grimm!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 7, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Posted by: drbatchelor | February 7, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

*********POLL QUESTION**************

WHAT'S DAN SNYDER:

A GIANT DOUCHE?

or

A TURD SANDWICH?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 7, 2008 02:06 PM

I say C. BOTH

Posted by: admir81 | February 7, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Mooch still in PHX?? PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 7, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

drbatchelor, this one's for you:

:-)

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

C'mon everyone say it with me now:

VAMOS UNITED!!!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 7, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

What we should do is get Russ Grimm to forego his fourth breakfast of the day and jump aboard Redskins One before Fassel can. I've got $0.45 in my pocket to donate to the cause. Maybe we can lure him with a breadcrumb trail of several thousand Krispy Kremes.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

PD- I have seen those....Personally, this is one of my favorites.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted by: drbatchelor | February 7, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Watch the plane, kiddies.

It's pretty clear now that it's Fassel.

I say the presser is on for the 6pm news.

Posted by: gdennie | February 7, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

This really shows that Dan isn't a man at all. If he was going with Fassel all along than he should have name him last week and been man enough to take the heat. What a little puss he is.

Posted by: jm220 | February 7, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Well I've never heard of such a backward way of thinking. Spags wants his own staff? What a pompous a hole! LOL!"

I know, what was he thinking! ;)

Leprechaun Danny still doesn't get it.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 7, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I love "Consulting". After years of refusing to hire consultants (and refusing to let my staff hire consultants), I'm now an overly-paid consultant attempting to justify my rate to CEOs around the world. If only they knew that everything I do is based on stuff I read on RI.

:-)

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Wh ohas the site for the status of reskin1?

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Extending the search this far was a charade. It was Fassel all along. These extra interviews were a PR move because of the unhappiness expressed over the Fassel selection.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Knowing that Redskins One is flying to Arizona to (possibly) pick up Fassel reminds me of the emotions I had when I heard 9 years ago that Payne Stewart's airplane was flying across country with an incapacitated flight crew...the assumption that we were waiting for inevitable death.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | February 7, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The NFL would not have permitted Snyder to make an announcement last week. Besides, picking the brain of the guy who managed to build the defense that a) won a World Championship and b) stopped a Patriots team that clobbered the 'Skins 52-7 was worth it.

I think the whole process should have been completed several weeks ago, but I don't blame "Mr." Snyder for the past two weeks. I do blame him for picking Fassel, which is kind of like picking an accountant to host a game show.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't take this anymore!! This is beyond redonkulous!! Danny Boy and his sidekick Vinny are the biggest Donkeys ever! Seriously, what does Vinny do? Is Danny Boy that insecure that he needs a "yes" man to pump up his ego? I guess being a billionaire isn't enough!

The more I think of it, the more I think Danny Boy has no intention of making the Skins a Super Bowl caliber team. He is in this to make more money. Everything went up and up after he hired Gibbs and now he is probably scrambling to figure a way to keep his cash cow alive to fund his Six Flag and other investments.

Let's face it; the Skins I knew and cheered for is just a distance memory. I'm going to become a new fan of NASCAR!!

GO JOE GIBBS RACING!!!

Posted by: jcho128 | February 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

well, looks like its fossil....but lets pray Grimm is the man getting on that plane....

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | February 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED TO SCHEDULE A PROTEST AT REDSKINS PARK FOR TONIGHT

F FASSEL

Posted by: grizlies98 | February 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

He's going to Arizona to pick up Grimm or Buges.

Buges once coached the then Phoenix Cardinals and all old-tymers have a home in the desert of Arizona.

They could be picking up Grimm to interview him or to offer him the job if he already interviewed him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"One of owner Dan Snyder's planes is en route to Phoenix, according to flight tracking software, which may or may not be related to the fact that Jim Fassel lives in Scottsdale."

Of course it is...

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I like this one too:

Kind of apropos for today.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Surely we haven't waited this long just to end up with Fassel??? Surely there must be another twist to this whole thing still to come??

If it does turn out to be Fassel then the guy must feel like he's won the lottery. No job, no prospects, rejected by the Chiefs for their OC job, then out of nowhere he finds himself getting showered with Danny Snyder's millions! Lucky sod.

Posted by: tartanskin | February 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I like this one too:

Kind of apropos for today.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 02:24 PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: tartanskin | February 7, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 7, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how Danny can't even sneeze without Jason knowing about it.

Posted by: info | February 7, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Spags and the Giants probably planned this out in advance. Go spend a day with DanVin and gather as much intelligence as you can. Then we will give you a raise and you can home a richer man. If this is true, two thoughts:

Everything is fair in love and war;

Hope for Spags sake the Giants don't go downhill next year taking his star with them and he misses his only chance at a head coaching job.

Posted by: tlpskins | February 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Please.

Anybody but Fassel.

Please.

Posted by: superbad8 | February 7, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

*** completely unrelated puppy post ***

My new puppy, who is all of 2 pounds 12 ounces, and who on the first night home with me barked for 14 straight hours and on the second night home with me barked for 14 straight hours, has finally calmed down to a whimper.

He has also figured out (I do not make this up) how to climb up the refrigerator after I open the door and get to his favorite treat: Oscar Meyer bologna.

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay."

This dog isn't a dog. He's a velociraptor. Always thinking, plotting my doom. In the middle of the night this little ball of fur is going to slit my throat. If you don't hear from me for a few days, that's what happened.

*** end puppy post ***

(back to whatever it was we were talking about...)

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

They could be going to Arizona to hire the giant cactus that Snoopy's cousin used to talk to in the Peanut's strip. I am sure the job interview went well.

Snyder: "Do you mind if we pick your assistants for you?"
Cactus: " "
Snyder: "Can I choose the draft picks for the team?"
Cactus: " "
Snyder: "You don't really believe all those bad things people say about me?"
Cactus: " "
Snyder: "Wow. This is my best interview yet."
Cactus: " "

Posted by: driley | February 7, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 7, 2008 02:26 PM

I guess we now know who was behind SIGN CHRIS COOLEY!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 7, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PDiddy | February 7, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, I have already predicated that his defense will shut us out 4 times over the next 2 years (the only two years of the Facile regime) and I assume that was made much easier for him by the guided tour VinnyDAN gave him of Redskin Park. I assume VinnyDAN also told Spaz the strengths and weaknesses of each player, and let him look at our defensive playbook in an effort to be thorough, so that should help the Giants offense as well.

Good job VinnyDAN.

Just have the cohones to say "I, VinnyDAN, own the team can run it into the ground if I want. I ain't interviewing anyone other then my old fellatrix Coach Facile, and you guys can go stick it."

So, worse then hearing him name Coach Facile as the HC, I will have to listen to his self congratulatory fictional story of how thorough he was. And then I will have to vomit.

Come on VinnyDAN, prove me wrong and name Meeks. Or the cardboard cut out of the dearly departed Spuds McKenzie.

BTW - I don't think Facile is that bad a coach, but coming in with his behind in the air and VinnyDAN zipping up his pants, it just can't end well . . .

Posted by: RedBee | February 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I have come, not only to accept the fact that Fassel will be the next HC, but I actually welcome it. Two years from now, when the Redskins are 3-13 and an embarrassment to the league, The Danny will realize that he does not know football. He will then hire a GM to run the team, and pout in his personal theme parks (formally known as six flags before they all shut down). Then, and only then, the Redskins will regain their former glory.

Its either this, or I have to accept the fact that I will never again see the Redskins in a superbowl, unless its on ESPN-Classic...

Posted by: scotchirishprince | February 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

i find it hard to believe it will be Fassel. if so, i'll stand corrected. the funny thing is Jason L keeps putting up new post after post saying that Fassel is the front runner because you guys will post, rant and rave about your disdain for the guy. just like controversy sells papers, it creates major blog discussion. at the end of the day, like it or not, if its him, the die-hards are going to roll with it until snyder says otherwise.

Posted by: gregskins | February 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

----

Somehow I don't think they found what they were looking for with Dan and Vin

Posted by: jklaw | February 7, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope that plane brings back the Grimm Reaper to come in and clean house and bring a new set of Glory Days to DC. Grimm would be the guy to do it. If he was good enough for the Steelers, he's got to be good enough for us. Bring Grimm home please. He would have the huevos to stand up to danny boy and change the culture of the organization, not be just another pawn to play danny's real life fantasy football.

Posted by: JBarrett | February 7, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Pdiddy....

I actually worry that in his zeal to land Spags that the Danny spilled the beans on all our plans for off season moves and draft strategies and that information is now safely in the hands of the Giants front office...

Posted by: carocanesfan | February 7, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I was going to see Hillary Speak and missed by 30 people. Me no go to overflow room.

I was talking to people about the redskins and I realized what a laughing stock is. When fans laugh when they are talking about there own team with each other. Like when the Wiz sent all there good players to the pistons that is just funny.

We are a laughing stock.

I wrote a post that predicted this before I was filled with hope. But I am not Barno so...

Could not find any Dan supporters maybe there in the Obama line.

Posted by: mul | February 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Here's a simple solution to this whole mess. Dan, hire RUSS GRIMM!

Thanks.

Posted by: featurepresentation | February 7, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

BOB DYLAN'S DREAM # 35

SNYDER: Jim! Congrats. Hop on board. Pour yourself a drink. You're our man and I've flown all the way out to this hellhole to tell you in person.

FASSEL: Scrwe you, Snyder! What kind of man do you think I am? You think I should just swallow my pride and agree to caoch your sorry a$$ team after being dragged through the coals like you did to me? I'd be a pretty weak human being and poor excuse for a Man if I did that. I mean, that's in addition to you turning the team over to that idiot Vinny, and hiring my staff for me. Have you read he blogs? The FANS hate me. They HATE me. And you think I'm gonna tuck my tail between my legs, be your 12th choice, and slink into DC under cover of night to coach for YOU?

SNYDER: Yeah, pretty much.

FASSEL: Okay As long as we're in agreement. Where do I sign?

Posted by: corkczar | February 7, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Skins fans, lets boycott Reskins merchandise if Jim Fossil is hired, if Daniel Snyder is going to going to arrogantly not let the fans voice have any sort of vote we should make some small voice of protest by not purchasing skins merchandise!!!

Posted by: icebluebeast | February 7, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Just say NO to Fassel!!!!!
NO ,NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NOPE, NOT, NEVER.......

Posted by: jamesrice | February 7, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Well 11pm here in the UK and the day doesnt seem to be getting any better.
The really sad part....that is so galling, is that we cant attract any of the top quality coaches that are out there.

This is a great team with character, history, tradition and a decent base of quality playing staff....

And yet.... we are picking from the second and third tier of coaching capability.

Its so damm frustrating !!!!!

Posted by: ianb87 | February 7, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

This could be the best offseason move for the Cowboys!!! The skins hiring Fassel. Love it

Danny and Vinnie Rule!!!!

Posted by: ndperez | February 7, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Interview Russ Grimm dang it.

Posted by: williambainesjr | February 7, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinnie, don't let these Redskin fans change your mind. You know what your are doing, he's a good coach and best of all he is willing to come in and you already have his coaches in place. He would have hired these guys anyway. You are the best!!

The NFC East

Posted by: ndperez | February 7, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't hire Grimm, he will want to hire his own coaches, and not let you and Vinnie run the team on Sundays!

The Cowboys, The Eagles, and The Giants

Posted by: ndperez | February 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

SNYDER PULL THE TRIGGER! Let's see what you think is the BEST for the SKINS.

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | February 8, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Let the Fan's coach the team. They have the DC and OC that's all that's needed.

The biggest thing is the Head Coaching job has lost its luster. Who wants to work for Snyder?

I'm surprised that Joe Bugel wasn't given a shot, since he does have former Head coaching experience.

Posted by: eric.soriano | February 8, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get not looking at Russ. He would be perfect -- played under Gibbs, coached under Cowher. True Skin. Very Baffling.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | February 8, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse