Blache announces his retirement

Greg Blache, the team's defensive coordinator the past two seasons and an assistant coach here the previous four, told the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday night that he's retiring after 22 seasons coaching in the NFL. He declined further comment.

Like offensive line coach Joe Bugel, most expected Blache to immediately retire following the 2009 season. He originally intended to retire when Joe Gibbs left coaching in 2008, but owner Daniel Snyder persuaded him to stay and take over the defensive coordinator position from a departing Gregg Williams.

Before coming to Washington, Blache had served as defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears from 1999-2003 and served as an assistant in Green Bay and Indianapolis from 1988-98.

In Washington, Blache led a unit that finished fourth in the NFL in 2008 and 10th in '09.

The Redskins have already reached an agreement with Jim Haslett to serve as defensive coordinator next season.

As colorful and outspoken as Bugel, Blache went on media lockdown earlier this season for reasons that were never revealed. The team sought the league's permission to allow secondary coach Jerry Gray to serve as the defense's public spokesman in Blache's place.

By Rick Maese  |  January 13, 2010; 8:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins won't raise general admission prices
Next: Gray to interview with Seahawks

Comments

There is a story here...this season was a nightmare. Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | January 13, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

We had a good defense last year, why re-invent the wheel?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 4:32 PM |

Posted by: MrPink | January 13, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect to the single G, this news is worthy of three cheers. Looking forward to Haslett taking the defense off of "safe mode."

Posted by: dcwun | January 13, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

"GM says Woods doesn't get free cars anymore"

General Motors Co. says an agreement with Tiger Woods that allowed the fallen golf star to have free access to its vehicles is over.

What?

Dude is worth a billion, but needs a free car?

No wonder GM needed a bailout: they gave Tiger free cars.

And I bet he used them on his 'boys night out' to cruise for some clingy chick who'd let him hit a 'hole in one.'

Next thing, we'll read that GM gave money to Bill Gates.

Or tv time to Oprah Winifrey.

And a sense of humor to mistamoe.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Yup, thanks.

BYE!

Posted by: edvar | January 13, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

SOOOOO LONG AND GOOD RIDDENS!!

Posted by: gcastle1 | January 13, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I had alot of respect for Blache for most of his tenure here. Despite his obvious deficiencies this year, overall I think he was a good, guy and a decent coach. He was also pretty damn funny at times. He probably deserved a better send off than this.

Best wishes to you Blache, enjoy your retirement.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 13, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously you and I wasn't watching the same team. The Skins team I was watching didn't have no takeaways and couldn't hold the fart in the farth qtr."

Good offense supports good defense.

And when you can't score, opposing teams attack your defense figuring that eventually it would give up.

That, to me, was a serious part of the 4th quarter breakdowns.

If Shanny puts together an offense that can regularly score 21-24 points a game, trust me, the defense goes into the 4th quarter it has a chance to come back and win.

It'll play better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody think that Hazlett will teach Landry and Hall to tackle? I would think they should know how by now. Was that a problem not handled by Blache?

And was Landry not taught/ coached on how to cover a double move route?

Can somebody please tell me why basic football skills were not utilized by these players?

I really don't understand this. Was it coaching or was it the players? Will new coaches fix this?

Posted by: johnnyreds | January 13, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I am baffled that Lane Kiffin continues to pull the wool over people's eyes. He better hope he succeeds at USC (which unfortunately he probably will) because I cannot see this sham continuing beyond this gig. Watching him speak on ESPN News, he just oozes sliminess and dishonesty.

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 13, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The one guy that may have been more incompetent than Zorn.

Going to miss Buges...very happy to see this nincompoop call it a career.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the defense's inability to come up with the big stop in the fourth is because of the slow loss of the T.O.P. battle throughout the game

and - when the D did make a stop the O rarely took advantage of it.

blaming the D at the end was easy for a fan to remember, but if that fan rewatched the game they would see that there were many opportunities to wasted in the first 3 quarters.

when a DB gets burned it's usually on a double move or some kind of move or a pump fake, that's how it happens. I really don't get all this focus on double moves, as if our guys are the only guys getting burnt?

ask randy moss how many times have you used a double move and burnt a guy? how many times have you burnt the same guy in the same game on a double move? a pass pattern is essentially a sequence of moves.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 13, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

We had a good defense last year, why re-invent the wheel?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 4:32 PM |

I'd prefer a new 3-4 defense, made from metal, and brawn.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 13, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

draft okung, yes
or a FS
or a RB/KR/PR

anything but a QB

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 13, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Blache was a good coach, I don't think he deserves to be bashed, Snyder 'begged' him to not retire because we had a "playoff roster"

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 13, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Zorn - Thank You ever so much for getting Vinney fired! HOPE that your tenure also awakened DS eyes to stop thinking he knows football and realize he will make more $ and enjoy football more being a winning franchise owner as opposed to a fantasy footballer. IF all that we are reading is indeed real, footballers making the decisions, then "the future is now"!

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 13, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I suggested ticket sales is one of the key reasons Snyder hired Shanahan (in my ZEKE'S UNIQUE special edition) instead of taking a chance on an 'up and coming' sort. In Snyder's defense, I think he knows that better results on the field is a good thing in lots of ways. Ticket demand is one of them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 13, 2010 8:01 PM |

Who are the so called "up and comers"? I don't think there is any Gibbs 1.0 on the horizon. Although when Shan left it looked like he wasn't at top of his game I don't know who would have been a better HC choice. Snyder is far from repeating the Zorn fiasco.

Posted by: MrPink | January 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

60% want to switch to a 3-4?

amazing noone really knows what it would take to do this, but hey let's switch.

the skins invented the 4-3 and have used the 4-3 forever, have 4-3 personnel, and a slew of issues, but hey let's switch because the grass is always greener

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 13, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Now our defensive backs will probably play in the same zip code as the rest of the defense on Sundays. Good Riddance Blatche

Posted by: robjway1 | January 13, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Blache's defenses kept the Skins in a lot of games. I'll give him that. It wasn't the dominant, aggressive defense that I wanted - but taking an honest look at the personnel maybe that was best we were gonna get. You had guys in place to make interceptions, they just couldn't make the play. Enjoy retirement coach Blache.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 13, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

60% of the people want to switch to a 3-4. to me all 60% are idiots to want to switch when we dont have the right personnel

Posted by: mudman220 | January 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

amazing noone really knows what it would take to do this, but hey let's switch.
Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 13, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

ah, now I get the tampa handle.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

And was Landry not taught/ coached on how to cover a double move route?

Posted by: johnnyreds

I just hope he won't give them a pass like J. Gray did.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember a SB where the defense was in a 3/4 stance and then the DE pulled back into coverage, intercepted the ball, went 100 yds for a touchdown, layed down and had to be resucitated.

I dont remember many plays where out defense just went 4 down linemen rushing, no blitz and if that is your gameplan for 95% of the game, then it is pretty easy for the opponents offense to game plan. Also when that is your defense and your offense stinks, it makes for a long defensive struggle.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 13, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Greg Blache, you did a lot for the 'Skins D over the last two years under difficult circumstances. I wish you the best! Thanks for your service.

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry left out that when the DE pulled back into coverage, that made it a hybrid 3/4.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 13, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer a new 3-4 defense, made from metal, and brawn.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 13, 2010 9:16 PM

Just yesterday an unidentified staffer overheard Snyder on his cell saying the following...

"We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together."

The staffer couldn’t confirm that the person on the other end was Vinny Cerrato because the cell ID read…Veronica Corningstone

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mudman220 | January 13, 2010 9:39 PM

So, how would you go about it? Acquire the personnel over the next few years and then switch? Coach them to play the 4-3 for a while and then change on them? Chicken or the egg?

Now is the right time to do it. You've got a new coaching staff who know and want this defense and you're about to cut half the team because they don't fit in with what the coach is planning.

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Another analysis on the impact a 3-4 defense would have on certain players.

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"Blache announces his retirement -

While one Redskins coach retired Wednesday with much pomp and circumstance, another opted to hang up his coaching whistle quietly."

The Three Retirement Amigos - Blache, Bugel and Lewis.

Posted by: MrPink | January 13, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

"Who are the so called "up and comers"? (young coaches) I don't think there is any Gibbs 1.0 on the horizon."

Young coaches don't become Gibbs 1.0 today as impatient owners and fanbases want to win it all right now or else.

Urban Meyer might be a great pro coach, but college pressure and expectation crushed him.

Kirk Ferentz of Iowa might be great, but he prefers to avoid the pro game as mid-western sports' sensibilities are easy to satisfy.

Fans and owners see a guy like M Tomlin and forget he inherited a good team.

Now let's see if he can re-build the stiller greatness he was given. That'll tell us if he is great or just lucky and good.

B Cowher, B Walsh, J Gibbs, M Levy, T Dungy, and M Holmgren became who they are because an owner with a proper functioning FO saw the quality in them and gave them time to become good coaches.

And for all the talk of Shanny's greatness, remember that P Bowlen fired him.

And this final point about Shanny is something we have to remember: he too might not get this team turned around.

And we'll be on the lookout for the next great coach--again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I really would like to know why Greg Blanche clammed up as a spokesman about midway through the past campaign. I enjoyed his comments and felt he was an asset both as a coach and spokesman. I wish The Post could good the scoop on why the coach went into lockdown. It clearly did not help his team.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | January 13, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 9:43 PM

His “let the other team score just enough to beat us” scheme was just as responsible as Zorn/Sherm’s offense for the 4-12 season. The only difference was that Blache squandered more talent and his unit wasn’t decimated by injuries.

I won’t mock you for your heartfelt “goodbye”…I’ll just wow to the difficult circumstances comment.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I for one am so glad Blache is gone. That defense was so boring to watch. It could have been so much more if he had an original idea in his head. He wasted talent and like Zorn was too boneheaded to change anything. Hell, I'm glad the whole bunch of them are going to be gone. We need fresh ideas and fresh blood in there. My wife could have called a better game than Zorn and Blache.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 13, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

The Three Retirement Amigos - Blache, Bugel and Lewis.

Posted by: MrPink | January 13, 2010 9:48 PM

There is a reason for the "much pomp and circumstance for Buges, and why the other ones were told to hang up their coaching whistles and go quietly."

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Shanny will be great again, once we get a decent QB. Soup would get anyone fired, including Shanny, if he sticks with him. Oh Dear Lord, please let us relieve ourselves of him.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 13, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Kinda harsh to be calling people idiots for wanting to switch to the 3-4. we are not that far off from the right personel. if you use the secondary correctly. pittsburgs corners are not that good, ike taylor is not that good he has hands like Rogers(not all the way as bad but close) they run a lot of zone blitz packages and use their corners strengths. If Jarmon gets on the Philip Daniels diet and packs on some muscle you could easily move AH over to the DE spot and put The 6'6 330/lb Anthony Montgomery in the middle to take up space. Orakpo and Wilson on the outside LB spots. My only question would be whether Mcintosh could make the switch to the middle. That my friends i think would be a great start for a 3-4 defense here!!!

Posted by: SkinsRealist1 | January 13, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I am mostly confused why we only hear Shannahan news from the Denver newspapers and Blaches tells the tribune that he is retiring. Sheesh! Can the ban on our only local newspaper stop?

Posted by: jazapfsp | January 13, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jazapfsp | January 13, 2010 10:23 PM

Haslett was hired yesterday and you needed someone to tell that Blache was retiring?

He squandered and misused more talent than the girls gone wild joker, this was his last stop no matter what.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mudman220 | January 13, 2010 9:39 PM

Good thing that 60% doesn't give a good sh!t what your dumb a$$ thinks. The other 40% merely thinks your retarded.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 13, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 13, 2010 10:36 PM

Did you really need to use the sledge hammer to kill the nat?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 13, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Agreed: there's a story there.

I think the issue was, in part, Zorn was floundering and, in spite of his shoddy play calling, was not doing what Gibbs did and "take responsibility" for the team's shortcomings, instead (albeit truthfully) pointing to his player's personal failings. Remember, Blache at the time said, "you want to put this on someone, well, I'm stepping up and taking the blame. That's what leaders do." Next thing you know, Blache won't talk to the media and Zorn, the very next week, starts "taking responsibility" every week.

It's a shame, and I think Blache is another guy who wasn't treated well.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | January 13, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Buges to Blache: "when this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together!"

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 13, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

nite all. 44, good stuff as always.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 13, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 13, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

My enduring memory of Blotch is something we saw every game: a sideline shot of him after one or another defensive miscue, his reading glasses pushed down on his nose, his rumpled hat tugged down sideways, looking down glumly at his laminated sheets.

I'd pay a good sum for one of those demotivational posters of him, with the caption, "Befuddlement"

Posted by: farstriker | January 13, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

1. Do what the talent dictates.
2. Haslett doesn't have a better track record than Blache.
3. Blache has earned his respect in the league.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | January 13, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I never understood why Blache called the defenses he did.

All the other teams did was sit in the soft spots in his zone coverages.

I always thought the players performed well despite what he called.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 13, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Blache: good human being, below average d-coord. Enjoy retirement. Now... anyone eager to switch to a 3-4 does not really know football at all. To run the 3-4 you need linebackers, lots and lots of them... they have to be mobile, quick, agressive and versatile. Moving 2 of our DE's to LB (Jarmon & Orakpo) is not an option. The jury is still out on conversion project #3 (Wilson). Yet none of these guys could be a force as a DE in the 3-4 (too small). Oh and we'd need a new NT as well - Phat Albert does not play enough downs and I could not name another player currently on the roster who could effectively play NT in the 3-4. So - other than needing more LB's and new DE's & NT's, and the already pre-existing DB defficiency, we're good to go for the 3-4. Cheers.

Posted by: scoot21 | January 14, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Here's the trouble with switching to a 3-4.

The redskins need OLinemen, and if tbhey are going to succeed with a 3-4, they need a powerhouse nose tackle, They don't have one If they can get a FA, fine. otherwise, they will probably end up drafting Cody from Alabama, who will be terrific, but it won't help the OLine.

Posted by: TheCork | January 14, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Hip, Hip, Hurray! Blache is no longer coaching for the Skins.

Posted by: neil64 | January 14, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

WHO CARES?!?

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | January 14, 2010 5:24 AM | Report abuse

I want to appreciate what a great job Greg Blache did for the Redskins and the Redskins fans. I also want to apologize to Greg for the way he was treated by this owner who's love for intrigue lead to turning coaches against coaches and players against coaches and on and on. His overwhelming ambition to win has lead to blotted guaranteed contracts, players who could care less about anything but themselves. This whole organization is a mess and it is not Greg Blache's fault. It is not Coach Gray's fault. The road to destruction of the Redskins begins and ends with Dan Snyder. Thanks for your service Greg. You had a great career and deserved to win a lot more games. Please Snyder stop all of this crap. Now you are acting like you had nothing to do with it. Stay out of coaching and stay out of personnel. You have destroyed a lot of Redskins fans with your micromanagement and destroyed careers of decent men. Stop it now.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | January 14, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

who cares if this guy retires, unlike the Hog Boss coach Bugel, Blache don't mean squat. He's a weirdo! His defense is afraid of attacking and is not creative enough in schemes.

This staff needs a makeover in which Shanahan is in the process of getting formed, which hopefully will start a new era for the Skins.

Posted by: alucard1 | January 14, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Blache had a strange career. From turnover king in Chicago to cautious strategizer in Washington. You could see how uncomfortable he was with Haynesworth -- way too mouthy player for Blache.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Defense this year: Couldn't protect a lead in the 4th quarter of a close game. Couldn't get off the field when they really needed to. Aggressive, hard-hitters in the secondary lined up wayyyy too deep off the line. Highly talented and disruptive players reined in and told to play conservatively. Same guys bite on double-moves again and again.

I hope Blache enjoys retirement, because he hasn't been very effective as a DC, the last couple of years especially. I'm glad to see him go.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | January 14, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

The beautiful thing about being a Redskins fan is that we have various opinions about the leadership of the team, yet, support the good of the organization. I for one will not miss Blache and his "packages" that did not muster a dominant defense. I look forward to a new regime that will hopefully use the strengths of our players and not rely on there ego driven schemes. Good riddance Blache! The door can't hit his backside quick enough for me!

Posted by: mbriscoe4 | January 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

A so-so defense, a coach who couldn't motivate the players, Thin skinned to the point he stopped talking to the media - good riddance.

Posted by: Jim31 | January 20, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse