Blache Expects Even More From Landry

LaRon Landry has started every game of his NFL career, all 32 of them. Not many players, even those taken in the top six picks in the draft (Landry was sixth out of LSU in 2007), can make such a claim.

But defensive coordinator Greg Blache now believes Landry should be more than just an NFL starter. Here would be Blache's goals for the third-year safety, simply put.

"Creating turnovers for us," he said this week. "Having six-eight picks. Some devastating plays where he's got some of these highlight kind of hits and breakups on the ball, and at the end of it him taking a trip to Hawaii as a Pro Bowl safety as opposed to being an alternate."

Forget for a moment that the Pro Bowl will be in South Florida, not Hawaii. The message is clear. In Landry's third year, the Redskins need not only a steadying presence as their last line of defense. They need a playmaker.

Landry, for all his ability, has only two interceptions in those 32 starts, one against Seattle and the other against Baltimore last year (meaning, incidentally, that he hasn't picked off a ball at FedEx Field in the regular season). Landry battled a hamstring problem for much of the 2008 preseason, one that Blache believes lingered into the regular season, and as he got healthier, Blache thought his play improved.

"I think LaRon had a great second half of the season last year," Blache said. "You look at his games down the stretch, Baltimore and our second Dallas game, I think he had come into his own. It's difficult, particularly for a young player, to miss training camp and have that hamstring linger as long as it did. Even early in the season, it was still not 100 percent. [ellipsis]

"If you look at the second half of his season last year, he had some highlight plays. He had some picks where he came out of the post and made some plays on big routes. And a lot of that comes with comfort in the position and comfort in your health. I know it's there, and if we can get a whole season of it, then we'll have a lot of production from him."

Now, headed into the second preseason game, Landry is fit. He had 97 tackles his rookie year -- when he was teamed with veteran Sean Taylor before Taylor's death in November 2007 -- and he went down to 70 last year. This season, it's possible Landry will see more time closer to the line of scrimmage. Either way, Blache clearly wants Landry to be an anchor -- a play-making anchor -- of his defensive unit.

"I'm looking for a huge year out of LaRon, because he is healthy. This is his third year. He's got the position figured out. This could be a real break-out year for him."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 21, 2009; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts Expected to Again Have a Big Role
Next: Daniel Ready To Get Back in the Game

Comments

First.

Posted by: sgininger | August 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

First!!

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Beat you.

Posted by: sgininger | August 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I haven't heard back from Marty yet, I'll let you know when I do. Thanks again to all those who have put up with me and my determination.

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

First....I like Blache more and more

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 21, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Steve S. email ADD??

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

From Previous Thread:

Why do I feel a negative slant towards Portis?? What did he do to them?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

NOT 1ST !!!!!!!!!
MAYBE 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 OR 15. WHO CARES !!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Samson, I guess I'm asssuming that either Kelly/Thomas is productive. I think you have to make that assumption or it hurts the team in the long run. I'm probably too optimistic here, but I think Kelly can be that guy. He was hurt last year. He wasn't a bonehead like Thomas, who didn't/doesn't understand what's going on.

Posted by: brian58 | August 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Portis probably blew off Jason Reid for an interview is my guess.

Or someone he knows 'personally' blew Portis off, nah mean?

This FIREZORN dude is becoming funny to me, for real.

Who's next Richie Pettibone? Terry Robiskie?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually, what I really need is Steve S. email ADD.

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

FIREJIMZORN= How is Babby formed

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

This FIREZORN dude is becoming funny to me, for real.

Posted by: RedDMV

I admitted he's cracked me up in the last thread. The key has been strategic and timely placement of his requests. He seems to have refined his one skill over time. Rock on, FJZ. And let me know how your convo with Marty S. goes.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 21, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

This letter is addressed to the imposter who's using my name ! Have I influenced you that much ? WOW !! MY Marty S. question has picked up steam around the country. Maybe the Washington Post will give me a column. I already have a following !!!!!

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?
Does anyone have the imposter email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I liked Robiskie. He shoulda had at least one season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I liked Robiskie. He shoulda had at least one season.

Posted by: DikShuttle

Um, that's sarcasm right?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 21, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the rationale for asking Landry to accumulate INTs is because Blache plans to pressure the hell out of the QB this year. And thinks he has the horses to do it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 21, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think the imposter is Jim Zorn himself.

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Who's next Richie Pettibone? Terry Robiskie?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 1:27 PM

I thought he would soon ask for George Allen's plot number....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 21, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, we can all point out some guy who was a late round pick who turned out great. But for every Marques Colston, there are hundreds of "raw" guys with speed who never could make an adjustment. Now I admit that WR is a position that traditionally has a longer learning curve and maybe (and I certainly hope so) Marko Mitchell is the next Colston. But, and this was my original point, it doesn't seem so clear yet that he is such a world class talent that we cannot "risk" putting him on the PS.

Posted by: dc-nc | August 21, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Nah, not really. It's moot, though, so why bother.

FIREJIMZORN reminds me of Caboose

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am really rooting for Landry this year, as a huge ST21 fan, I've had a hard time warming up to Landry, saying, well he's no ST21, but hey he's Dirty 30 and I really hope he has his breakout year, he has owned the eagles since he came into the league, i love it..
as for the game tomorrow, i would like to say i have never been so disappointed as a Skins fan in my life as I was at the mon nite game vs pitt last year, not the fact that half the stadium was steelers fans, that's a given that our diesoft fans would sell their tix to mon nite b/c it's inconvenient for them. But more for the fans in the stadium, i had a Skins fan behind tell me to sit down before the Skins took the field and a guy in front of me wearing a steelers jacket telling the steelers fan next to him that's he's a Skins fan, but he likes the steelers, personally the atmosphere at FedEx sucks, it's great we have the biggest stadium in the league, but only about 50,000 are diehards, like those in this room, the other 45,000 are lame, sellout, martini drinkin bamas who need to stay home when it's game day at FedEx. I'm sick and tired of this, you have 357 days a year to sit on your lazy, silent, diesoft a**, u wanna sit down stay the f home. If you have any problems with that, I'll be the guy wearing the burgundy 21 jersey standing up in front of you when the Skins D is on the field going crazy, im going to be loud and obnoxious and if u dont like it stay home, let the diehards enjoy their Skins football. FedEx is our house, let's make sure we go 7-1 or 8-0 this year, frankly our home record and game day atmosphere is embarrassing

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | August 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think the imposter is Marty. he doesn't want to come back here and work for LPD. FIREJIMZORN is actually Jim Fassell. He's bitter.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

There's no market for DJ Hackett anymore. The guy was twisting in the wind before we signed him, and there's no risk in cutting him. Is there a SIGNMARKOMITCHELL guy?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. emaill ADD ?

Posted by: HiReMaRyFiReJiMzOrn | August 21, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

the game is on the NFL Network, saturday at 7:30...fyi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 21, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HiReMaRyFiReJiMzOrn | August 21, 2009 1:56 PM

Who's Mary?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

With Ladell Betts you don't get much of a difference from Portis in terms of type of RB. The backup can be a change of pace - like Derrick Ward was with Brandon Jacobs. You can design a set of plays at which the backup excels which expands the reach of your O package. With Betts you don't get this. With Betts you have someone who could fill in if Portis is injured but not a different look. If Jacobs went down Ward could not have filled in for him, at least not very well.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

There is something about Mary!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 21, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm feelin' Betts has totally dropped off.

If anything I'd rather see him on first down and let Crisco take 2-4. But who does that?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"diesoft fans"

Hilarious.

Is there a SIGNMARKOMITCHELL guy?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

I don't know, but I'm starting the SIGN MARCUS MASON fame.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Imposters everywhere! Now this Hire Marty guy?? I just wanted his email, I never said anything about hiring him. We just had something to discus.

I just wanted to know where he got his glasses.

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And yeah, who the heck is Mary??

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

the game is on the NFL Network, saturday at 7:30...fyi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

HA! Maybe for you OT'ers... Channels 4 & 11 for the DMV'ers.

Anyone know Marcus M. email ADD ?

Signed,

SIGN MARCUS MASON

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It's days like today I wish there wasn't registration.

Everyone would have a field day with this Marty S. stuff.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

haha, no kiddng red, that would be some funny stuff.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 21, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

HA! Maybe for you OT'ers... Channels 4 & 11 for the DMV'ers.

Anyone know Marcus M. email ADD ?

Signed,

SIGN MARCUS MASON

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:12 PM

But it's in HD only on Comcast Sports Net.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 21, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

No question we need dirty thirty to step up his game this year.

Posted by: jm220 | August 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

retroskins14 speaks the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Posted by: oldnova | August 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think Marty's days as a coach are behind him, but his son Brian, the Jets O coordinator, seems to be on an upward trajectory and could soon be on the A-list of HC candidates. When Rex Ryan took over for Mangenius they put the O in Brian's hands and Sanchez is working out nicely for them. If Marty gets any kind of feelers about coaching he talks up how good his son is.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

It must be Friday if anyone is saying this FIREJIMZORN guy is clever. Take my advice guys, don't start the party on Friday afternoon. It only leads to stupid RI posts.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 21, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to know where he got his glasses.

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:06 PM

Hey dude give it up already !! The real FJM doesn't pronounce words or as you do. What has this world come to. I started off trying to create a movement, now I have a stalker. See the difference between me and you is race. The only way people will really think you're me if you dumb down your comments. LOL

Do anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?
Do anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?
Do anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

SIGN MARKO MITCHELL!

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | August 21, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Back to our regularly scheduled blog...

Blache has thrown down the challenge and now it is up to Landry to rise to it. If things work out with Smoot and Moore I would love to see Landry buzzing back and forth from sideline to sideline and near the line of scrimmage. That will make those running backs think twice about sneaking into the flats. It's a situation perfect for keeping Westbrook in check, and shutting down those short passes to Witten.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have Adam Archuletas email add???

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Need to stop the quick slants too!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No question we need dirty thirty to step up his game this year.

Posted by: jm220 | August 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind the position we have him playing. he plays our centerfield stlye FS position that was implemented for ST. When Sean first started at the position he wasnt great at it, it took him a while to get his timing/angles down. I think you will see similar results out of Landry this year having had time to fully understand his position and coming in fully healthy(knocking on wood).

Posted by: Stu27 | August 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

no question about it Stu27

Posted by: jm220 | August 21, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc-nc | August 21, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Apparently he's been killing it in training camp. The whole reason this discussion began is b/c he's been (apparently) pretty uncoverable.

So even though he's had a really nice camp, we practice-squad him just b/c he's a 7th rounder? I don't get the logic.

How in the world do you actually find out if he is the next Marques Colston unless you give him some game-time?

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I SAY A RAINS A'COMING!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

ST didnt need a stinking angle to knock somebodies nipples off. If he could get a shoulder on somebody, they were losing the battle.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I expect more from Landry too.

That's not good.

Create some better more dynamic memories for me LL...

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hackett is a stiff, Zorn could have had him a million times but he passed.

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

just curious, has anyone actually been to a practice and seen mitchell? i didn't notice him in the preseason game and wondered what he looks like according to non-redskins employed individuals.

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | August 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

lmao!! Matt there is something wrong with you.

Posted by: jm220 | August 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I think they got albert for jacobs personally, so his big ass couldnt run right through the dline anymore

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I just want to see him lay suckas OUT. I enjoy a turnover as much as the next guy, but this is about putting fear into the receivers. Can we do this, puhleeze?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

But it's in HD only on Comcast Sports Net.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 21, 2009 2:17 PM

I wonder how much that cost them......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

does anybody have kelli johnsons email add???

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Cork,
The Mayor had a couple of saucy paragraphs in there about CP's relationship with Snyder and the problems that poses for Zorn. Not your milquetoast company line reporting, eh? Aren't you fired up?

Posted by: p1funk

You’re right. I meant to mention that but um, what’s the word?…oh, yeah, I forgot.

Few reporters start out embittered, cynical and distrustful. But the environment changes them. I expect more from Reid like this, and his growth is encouraging for journalism, if not for redskn hopes or, well, humanity.

Posted by: TheCork | August 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have Steve S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

What it SHOULD say is
“But if they struggle and Portis is unhappy, well, that could be problematic, especially for Zorn, and it could further the global warming epidemic that so many in the organization are blind to.”

Posted by: dlhaze1 |

As I was saying to the guy tanning on the beach next to me in Narsarssuak, Greenland, the other day, Global warming is a myth.

Okay, I made that up. But I’d bet I’m the only one on this forum who’s LIVED in Narsarssuak, Greenland, by the scenic Tenugliafik Fjord.

Posted by: TheCork | August 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: TWISI | August 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"If Jacobs went down Ward could not have filled in for him, at least not very well.
Posted by: BirnamWood"

No, but two observations:

1) neither could anybody else except possibly Michael Turner of Atlanta. I don't think Jonathan Stewart or Stephen Jackson are as fast or powerful. LenDale White doesn't have the stamina. Jacobs is just a horse of a running back. Check how many yards he makes downfield.

2) Ward could definitely have carried the load at RB for the Jints for half a season. Betts could do the same for the Skins. The team wouldn't be as good, but the job would get done.

I think the point you're making is valid, that it's great to have a change of pace back. And hard to find one. Betts, meanwhile, is an acceptable substitute. If somebody better comes along, you can bet the Skins will pine for him.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"I expect more from Landry too.

I like him and believe in his abilities, but honestly the "biggest" play that stands out to me last season involving Landry was when he got trucked by BJacobs."

Posted by: p1funk

That's because with most people negativity > positivity.

But not with me.

To me, the play that stands out the most with Landry is the one where he cracked Kevin Curtis in the end zone to prevent a game winning TD as time expired.

That play, not him getting trucked by Jacobs stands out the most. I mean c'mon man, it is Brandon Jacobs. How many dudes have gotten steamrolled by him?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | August 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis has been howling his praises from the rooftops.

That must mean something considering Portis's MO is chucking teammates under the trolley.

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the stats from last season concerning the Skins' lack of runs of 10+ yards is usually interpreted as meaning the line, not the backs, are doing a disproportionate share of the work.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, Red, I also remembered that play right after I made the post.

It was an awesome game-winning play, but I crave Sean-Taylor game-winning plays.

...like absolutely demolishing Patrick Crayton on 4th down in Dallas and watching the ball fly 10 yards in the air after it was dislodged from Crayton's crippled hands...

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

my favorite ST21 play!!!! that was a fumble, crayton took two steps and had control!

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have Steve S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJlMZORN | August 21, 2009 2:49 PM

Lovin' it.

This reminds me of the old joke about the TV Talk show host goes out in the audience during his show to talk to the audience.

"What's your name?" He asks a guy.

"Argo," the guy answers.
"Argo what?"

"Argo F#%k Yourself," the guy says.

Well the talk show host is fired and banned from TV and it isn't until years later that he gets another show. He is good at ad libbing so he again goes out into the audience, and sure enough, the same guy is there.

During a commercial he tells him he ruined his career and his life, and the guy is very apologetic. says he's Born Again and realizes the error of his ways, and feels terrible about it, and is here to make amends. He even promises to use his real name.

Well the host is convinced, because the guy seems sincere and truly penitent, so when they come back from the break he interviews the guy.

First thing the guy says is "Praise the Lord!"

So the host asks:

"I'm happy you're here. What's your name?"

"Jeremiah," the man replies.

"Jeremiah who?" the host asks.

"Argo f#%k yourself"

Posted by: TheCork | August 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If you remember the year before dallas beat us on a play action vinny t to crayton that ST21 bit on so it was sweet redemption also!!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I AM WITH YOU ALL THE RETROSKINS14 ALL THE WAY IT IS SICKING I CANT EVEN DISCRIBE HOW SOME OUR FANS ARE AT FED EX. THEY SHOULD MOVE BACK TO RFK SO THEY CAN KEEP THOSE 45.000 LAME SORRY POLITCAL CORRECT STUIP FANS OUT BECAUSE IT COULD NOT HOLD THIER SORRY A$$ ANY. THAT IS WHY WE DONT WIN IN FED EX STADIUM.I WISH A LAME FAN WOULD TELL ME TO SIT DOWN HE WOULD TREAT LIKE A COW CHIP FAN AND THAT IS REALLY REALLY BAD TREATMENT COMING FROM ME.

Posted by: rdbdaddy | August 21, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

yea i hate it when other skins fans tell me to sit down

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who hates eagles fans more than comboys fans

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse