Blache on Stopping Brandon Jacobs

So how do you stop Brandon Jacobs?

The guy is the size of a truck - a 6-foot-4, 264-pound truck, that is, which really isn't that big of a truck, if you think about it - and ran over the Redskins for 187 yards in two meetings last year. So what's the big strategy for stopping the Giants' sixth-year running back this time around? Apparently, not overthinking it.

"We try and make this game more complicated than it is. ...Guys stand in front of you and try to make this sound like it's rocket science," Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache said. "It's not. It still comes down to blocking and tackling. ...There are no magic schemes, unless you know where to come up with more than 11. If we've got a way to get an invisible 12th, I'm listening, I'm up for it. Other than that, it's going to come down to football players making plays when opportunity presents itself."

To translate: As it concerns Jacobs, expect to see eight men stacking the box on Sunday. There's really no other way.

What that does, though, is force the Redskins' cornerbacks to go one-on-one with the Giants young receivers, a gamble Washington coaches don't mind making.

With Plaxico Burress watching Week 1 games from a couch somewhere, awaiting his Sept. 22 sentencing, the Giants will bring seven receivers into the game. None is older than 25. (Domenik Hixon and Steve Smith are expected to start, by the way.)

"I think it's a great opportunity for their wideouts," Blache said. "I would love to be a wideout on that offense because you're going to get some single coverage just because of all the other weapons that they have."

Reporters mentioned that possibility this week to Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who responded with a hint of a smile, according to the New York Daily News.

"You'd have to expect that to a certain level," Coughlin said. "But that probably would be a good thing if they did that."

While the Redskins don't mind putting Carlos Rogers and DeAngelo Hall one-on-one with New York's unheralded and unproven wideouts, the Giants' receivers are apparently licking their chops.

"That's all you can ask for as a wide receiver," Domenik Hixon said in the Daily News' piece. "If they want to load eight men in the box, play man-to-man on the outside, you're going to have to go out there and make plays. That's what you get paid for. That's all you can ask for."

While the front eight have a tough task in trying to contain Jacobs, Blache says the Washington defensive backs will be expected to pick up any slack.

"We've got to be very, very good in our technique," he said. "We've got to be very, very good with our eyes and not get lazy, and we've got to be consistent. We can't afford to give up the big play because this is going to be one of those heavyweight-type fights where one punch or one play could be the difference."

By Rick Maese  |  September 11, 2009; 3:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Tough Roster Calls to Make for Game Day
Next: Lorenzo Alexander: Something Special

Comments

BJacobs is a beast, but I think Blache and the front 7 will be OK. Skins usually get beat by the big play and that is not Jacobs.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Thing that impresses me is how many of Jacobs' yards come ten yards from the line of scrimmage. He's not just big, he runs hard.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

to: NateinthePDX
I just moved to portland...where is the best place to watch the skins?!?! Thanks!

Posted by: Rod5 | September 11, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

D. Hall is suspect, but, Plaxico Burress is no longer a Giant. I expect the skins to upset.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 11, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I just don't understand it. Why should someone have to motivate you when you are making major money playing America's greatest sport in front of America's greatest fans?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 11, 2009 3:17 PM |

My son is 23 and is finally getting it. We tried everything but he finally started getting it last year. Sometimes it takes a while with young men.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't expect him to have a big game with Al in the middle of our line.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

gonna need to put some points on the board, and make them 1-dimensional, then set the hounds loose.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins "D" is built to stop runners like Jocobs, Barber, Johnson, etc. Real tough phyiscal backs. It's the speedy back that present a problem for Skins... So, on the Sunday I expect great result from our "D" in stoppin Big BlueBerry Pie..

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 11, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

to: NateinthePDX

Posted by: Rod5 | September 11, 2009 2:45 PM

----------

As a former Portland resident, I wish the best of luck to ya in P-town.

Lord knows you'll need it.

Used to be a part of da crew, so you can sub for me on gameday.

Just bring it!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"As soon as a Running back on any other team goes down we need to offer Betts, then you won't have this problem anymore, Mr. Zorn. Skins should be trying to get atleast a 4th for him, but most likely a 3rd."

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

"Oh and Trade Santana Moss too. Especially if someone is willing to offer a 1st rounder."

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

How's the line go I've been reading lately up here?

"You can't make this s*** up"

These post are suited for LAST off-season when it was discussed frequently which 'skins were deemed as having trade value.

Betts has NO trade value. NONE.

You'll never get a #1 for Santana Moss. Ever.

I'd say you're trying to pull some Madden GM type stuff, but I don't think you can pull that s*** on Madden. Not the PS3 version anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

JM220 - When does Ramadan start? Will you be signing off?

PSP - I claim Zero expertise in picking the 45 and whose inactive. I could care less back then, unless Springs was on that list. But if Yoder is on the inactive, he should be released.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Why is D Hall suspect? He's a former pro bowler... and athletically he's still all about it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs doesn't only need to run between the tackles to be effective.

I've seen the dude KILL the 'skins before on sweeps and tosses -- runs that went off tackle.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hit Brandon Jacobs low. Dude is brittle.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

4th, huh? You don't want to protect your assests. Your critique is semi-legit from a player's union standpoint but that wasn't the angle I am taking. But fine...adding poaching if you must. But my plan still rulz.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 2:57 PM

No...Your plan still droolz.

I wrote my shorthanded point. My longer point I left out because I forgot it. Plucking players goes both ways. I am shore over the years some of your favorite players started out on someone else's practice sqaud and we plucked them. Wouldn't you rather grab someone off of someone else's roster than someone on the street? This ain't baseball. The rulz are the rulz, and whomever plays best within the rulz doesn't droolz......

Like that dude we picked up in '07 from the GMen...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

as a passing thought -- this could be a huge week for Albert Haynesworth if he wants an MVP award.

Why?

Because there is nothing like 1 guy changing the outcome in 2 games.

Tennessee would have won last night with Albert.

If the Skins win because Albert did his thing -- well, its those kind of guys deserve win MVP awards

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

15600_sknfan started drinking already??

Game isn't till Sunday.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe, but no one's giving a number one for Santana. (maybe Carlos Santana, but that's another story)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 11, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

DHall has been flame broiled more than a few times in his career.

Dude has suspect coverage ability.

I just wish the CBs wouldn't give so much cushion all the time. I hate that "bend, but don't break" philosophy bs.

If it's bent, it's already broke.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

4th, you are nitpicking. I am obviously devising a new system, duh. Ok you collectively bargained poaching back in, but you can't argue the rest of my plan. Dress all you got, multi tiered week IR slots. If you argue against that you're just hating on me.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Our front seven is much improved from past d. We are quickier on the outside at LB and DE with sure tacklers in the middle. Not to mention two angel who can come up and hit the day lights out of you.

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 11, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I agree that Jacobs is brittle.

No, not at all.

but yes, hit him low, and wrap him up.

The players don't do much in the way of tackling in practice, and with limited pre-season action under their belts, I'm giving Brandon Jacobs the advantage on Sunday.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

How's the line go I've been reading lately up here?

"You can't make this s*** up"

Betts has NO trade value. NONE.

You'll never get a #1 for Santana Moss. Ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Dude! If you really feel this way, then the Skins are toast. If you REALLY feel this way then why are they on the team. the facts are:

Betts is an established veteran who can be a reliable back when given the opportunity. For a team in need of a back I think we can get atleast a fourth, (he is on a 53 man roster and is a part of an professional Offense). All I really want is to get Mason on the field and to get something in return for him) But I would bet a $1 that Denver would have loved to have him last year.

But this just my opinion, and I no a little bit of what I'm talking about.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

I liked last year when he (Devin T) was tossing around DB's like ragdolls to get to the ball, but unfortunately he kept getting called for it. Still he was very good at catching even when getting hit.

As I've said before, I really like our new WR (and D-line) situation... hope we can do the same thing and quickly get it together on O-line within the coming year.

No matter what, all things being equal (which they're not), we should be markedly better than last year, as our only real loss was the oft-injured Shawn S.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:37 PM

I never said anything about those things.
As a Playa, I can neva hate on a 'notha Playa Pimpin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I bet if we were the PATS there asses would be outta here. Ala Richard Seymour"

Right, but the problem with this logic or lack there of, is that the Pats WEAKENED their team, RIGHT NOW. They're a better defensive team with Seymour, than without. So they traded arguably their best defensive linemen, for a draft pick that wont happen for 2 years....and this is the type of logic you want the redskins to have??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

He gets smoked by good fast receivers. Moss smoked him a couple weeks ago and Steve Smith made a career out of smoking DHall. Last year Eddie royal torched him pretty badly too. The list does not end there either. He's been burnt by TO, Roy Williams, Joey Galloway, and Hines Ward. Granted they are very good receivers but he is by no means a great cover corner. He does however get turnovers. He's kind of like a Dre Bly that can cover a little. I'd rather see Carlos play man on the other teams best corner and run some type of zone with DHall.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Landry got run over to some, but to me he made a TD saving tackle with total disregard for his own safety. You can't defy the laws of physics. That was a great play LaRon, taking one for the team, thank you!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

DHall has been flame broiled more than a few times in his career.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:36 PM

----------

Play corner in the NFL for any amount of time, and you too shall be broiled.

Remember, the receiver is at a tremendous advantage. He know when and where the ball will be thrown.

The other dude is just guessing.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs is beast, no doubt. Inside/outside whateves.....

BUTT he does run tall which makes him less of a short yardage back than he should be. Ward did a lot of that last year. AND the dude is gimpy and wears down in games. Thats why Ginas rely on RB rotation (Tiki/ward/bradshaw during his career). Oddly for a back his sides he is stronger in first halves.

I know I am grasping at straws, but I watch/have ginas forced down my throat 365...so there is my scouting report.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

R5,
Maybe Nate is working (God forbid).

There are a lot of sports bars in the PDX, but this is the place.

327 SW Morrison, BWW

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 11, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The bigger they are, the harder they fall...

If Jacobs is a truck, Big Al's a what? Earth-mover?

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Everybody who use to kill the Redskins from the Giants are gone.

Tiki
Toomah

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

its naht a toomah....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

As far as D Hall's coverage on Randy Moss in pre season, he was draped all over Moss.

Hall did everything you could ask, except for break up a perfectly thrown ball by one of the best QBs in the league to one of the best receivers...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

anyone else notice that the 100's of comments on the Snyder ticket broker write up by Grimaldi are missing??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 11, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

Sports are very visceral in nature. What you say is true, Landry did make a play ... while getting trucked. As a fan, we remember visceral moments. Which is why, even though Landry made an important play, most forget that completely.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"No seriously! You disagree? they are both 30, if someone else wants them please take them. I bet if we were the PATS there asses would be outta here. Ala Richard Seymour.

I'm sure some team will be dying for a back at some point it always happen, and I'm sure we can get a number 1 for Moss from a team in need. It appears that we all want Mitchell and Mason to play and to be honest I don't see this guys producing less. Moss is good, but not that good, remember Green Bay Game a few years ago, every time he drops a pass from Jason Campbell I can't help but to think about that game."

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

Um, Richard Seymour is in a contract year. The Patriots have a history of releasing or trading away dudes they deem as expendable looking for a new contract.

Richard Seymour was just another casualty, that's all. Doesn't speak anything to his playing ability or some sort of decline.

And you must let this "#1 pick for Moss" wet dream go now. Given Moss' overall career production/numbers and age: NO TEAM is giving a FIRST ROUND pick for Santana Moss.

No one.

The only player that can possibly yield a first round pick, and this is a HUGE may be, is LaRon Landry. And that's a stretch.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's see what DHall can do for us before we late the hate reign over a defensive leader. He didn't get burnt last year with us and quickly surpassed CR22....

lol @ Bean...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Yup! and guess what, they will still be in contention, they will still get picked to when before the Redskins.

Who knows, if given the opportunity to get a #1 for Moss (this year) and putting Mitchell on the field could just shake things up a little and put more responsibilty on someone like Devin Thomas. So long as Devin has Moss in front of him, why does he need to catch anything? But think if Moss was gone maybe we can get DT to catch 50 balls.

I honestly don't think we will be weakend, we could possibly be stronger. Moss is good but Physically he no more than D Thomas.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow trading Moss...ding ding ding dumb of the day!

It makes zero sense on any level. Pure sports talk call in stuff.

"Yeah Chris from Burke here, first time/long time. I say we ship Portis Devin Thomas and an 8th rounder to Vikings for AP, Harvin and Jared Allen. Make it happin Vinny!"

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Yup! and guess what, they will still be in contention, they will still get picked to when before the Redskins"

Their ability to win, has ZERO to do with this trade, and EVERYTHING to do with who lines up behind the center. They're a weaker team today because they traded Seymour. That point is not up for discussion...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe we're favored by as many as 6.5 points!

The Redskins and Giants games are always close, so why would anyone lay the points? The Giants have looked shaky in the preseason and this game should be right around a field goal. Take the Redskins as they win this contest outright.

www.betonline.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. Did I just walk in on a "Trade Moss for a number one pick" discussion?

[Turning back around...I'll get the lights. Somebody else get the door]

Posted by: 4-12 | September 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

No one.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Skins were willing to give up 2 #1's for Ochocinco and we can't get 1 for Santana. If this is the case, then cut him, cut him right now, he is of no value. Seriously if this is the case then the Skins need to ask themselves is he worth paying 5 mil to when they are paying D Thomas like 700k.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the jints will don't really want to run at Daniels or Albert. That should cover about 1/2 of the plays. I'd expect the jints to move boss to the left side of the line and then run at Carter/Orakpo. Even though Landry is a free safety, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the box on the strong side to aid in run support.

fwiw, I was pleased with the way Orakpo tackled RBs in the one preseason game I watched. Hadn't seen that on his college video highlight thing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

R5,
Maybe Nate is working (God forbid).

There are a lot of sports bars in the PDX, but this is the place.

327 SW Morrison, BWW

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 11, 2009 3:43 PM
--------
Thanks Stumped!
I'll definitely check it out.

Posted by: Rod5 | September 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

WIll Swissham miss or make the game winning field goal attempt?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"The guy is the size of a truck - a 6-foot-4, 264-pound truck, that is, which really isn't that big of a truck, if you think about it. . . ."

This is my favorite piece of writing on RI this year. I'm still thinking about it, and laughing.

The literalist turn is always good yucks.

Posted by: farstriker | September 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

15600, dude, put down the shovel.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"If this is the case, then cut him, cut him right now, he is of no value"

ufb......

how are you able to sign on to the computer, its a mystery to me....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

No one.

Posted by: RedDMV |

Ummmmmm, the Raiders are dumb enough to do just about anything ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Swisshamandcheese will not be the deciding factor, we'll win by 7+.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Ross out for Giants
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2009 3:47 PM ET
Giants coach Tom Coughiln said earlier this week that he was "optimistic" starting cornerback Aaron Ross would be able to play in Week One, despite a hamstring injury.

We're "optimistic" that Coughlin should have been more pessimistic.

Ross is listed as out for the game against the Redskins.

Elsewhere on the Giants' injury report, tackle Adam Koets (ankle) and linebacker Clint Sintim (groin) are doubtful, and cornerback Kevin Dockery (hamstring) is questionable.

For the Redskins, cornerback Carlos Rogers (calf) and tacke Mike Williams (ankle) are probable.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

OK - What can the Skins get for MOSS. If anyone says anything less than a 2, then to me Skins are stunting the Growth of Thomas. Its like going to work and your an entry level Sys Admin, why worry about if the network goes down if the Sr. Sys Admin is running the show.

If you are saying that Moss is not that good, then what does that say about him being a #1 receiver, our #1 receiver, and the talent behind him.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

R5,

Enjoy the game, but don't eat the wings.

Got a horrid case of food poisoning over there at 327 SW Morrison (Buffalo WIld Wings.)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 3:37 PM

I like the rest of your plan, BUT, the last eight players have to wear lace on the top of their socks to show that, well, they're just not as good as the other 45.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

R5,
See you there.
Hail to um!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

See, this is what alcohol can do to a person's brain. Not pretty, is it?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Chia's right.
It's not about the food.

Game
Hamsters
Beer
Public Transportation
etc

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The establishment on 327 SW Morrison has had numerous health code violations.

Salmonella is their speciality.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

curz, thats good news...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

its naht a toomah....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That never gets old!

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | September 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Curzon. People seem to think Rogers' calf will be an issue all season. Let's hope not. I'd like to have our top cover corner healthy all season but that might be asking too much.

Posted by: pgugino | September 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Blog!
Hail Victory!
Bloggers on the Warpath!
Post for old D.C.!
Rant and Rave and Swear -- we want a lot more!
Post! -- Let the comments soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Bloggers of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Blog!
Hail Victory!
Bloggers on the Warpath!
Post for old D.C.!

-HTTB and HTTR

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

bean, it will be even better news is Zorn goes long early and makes the ginas (love that term!) respect the pass and not stack the box. by the second half we just might see a spread offense and run away with this game.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Moss is the best receiver in our Division, he is capable of 80 catches - 1000 yds - and 6 - 8 tds on the Skins team. You put him on a team that has an established passing game and he is potentially ALL PRO. What I said was to a team that is in need of a good wide out Moss is attractive, especially when other teams are asking for 2 #1's for someone like Braylon Edwards (Plus 10 mil a year)

But this just my opinion, and I no a little bit of what I'm talking about.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

This will be last post on the nonsensical bullchatter, because it's Friday and you shall not put me in a bad mood.

You know, there is a such thing in sports called "Upside". This term is usually mentioned about a player who has a better of making more of an impact on a team given that place in time.

So, that makes your comparison to Braylon Edwards, WEAK! Braylon Edwards is 26, Moss is 30. Braylon Edwards is 6-5, Moss is a generous 5-10. With their four year difference in age, that makes them in NFL years more like 7-8 years apart.

Again, there are teams that can use help at WR. I'll bet you more than a damn dollar NONE OF THEM have contacted the Redskins about Santana Moss.

And you're thing about Betts is reaching comical, but borderline stupidity levels, seriously. You say Betts is an established vet, blah, blah, blah... and WHAT are you basing this on 2006? Three years ago? Then you blabber about how Denver could have used him last year???

There is this concept called time. Aging is also synonymous with this concept called time. Betts was good in 2006... THREE YEARS AGO! Last year Betts got carries and did d*** with the opportunities that were given, you know why?

Becasue he isn't that damn good. Point blank!

Which leads to how you mention how the 'skins could "get at least a fourth rounder".

At least a fourth for Betts? Are you f'n nuts? They will be luck to get a sixth for Ladell Betts.

You're a fan and have an extreme bias when it comes to evaluating the trade value of these players on the 'skins.

Try and view these guys like you're not a fan when accessing the vale of these players. May be then you'll gain some logical perspective.

WTF!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

to state the obvious.. Jacobs may have a great 4th qtr if the Defense is forced to be on the field an inordinate amount of time. Which could well be the case... due to "3 and outs" created by a battered, substituted OLine.
Its the oldest formula for winning a game with a power back..Gibbs did it often with Riggo who would wear down a DLine in the 4th.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 11, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you genuinely know so I will tell you instead of being a jerk about it. Santana Moss is a small burner type of receiver. He needs seperation in order to beat a CB. His speed gives him that seperation. At age 30 he is still in the prime of his career. He is a great receiver right now and will be for another couple of years. He will soon start to lose his step. Once that happens he is prety much done. CJ, Moss, et all jave size to their advantage. They can fight a receiver for a ball. They do not necassarily have to burn a receiver to make a play. This is why they still have value at age 30. When they lose a step they can still play. Now, since Santana already knows our offense and has a couple great years left in him he is extremely valuable to us. Since it will take him some significant time out of his limited time left to learn a new offense and get his timing down with a new QB he isn't worth very much to another team.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 11, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This is true, D Hall gets this negativity because he's over confident ( Iwould be too if people kept giving me top Dollar for what I do)and takes many chances. However he's being paid to do just this. The reason your more comfortable with Rogers is because he just covers but doesn't gamble. If you ask me we need them both or both types of corners.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I *heart* Jim Zen.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ummmmmm, the Raiders are dumb enough to do just about anything ...

Posted by: zcezcest1

Man, I don't even have the Raiders pulling the trigger on sending a #1 first round pick to DC for Santana Moss.

There is Oakland Raider dumb, then there is 15600_sknfan dumb. With the latter being much more hazardous.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

If Thomas and Kelly can get something established as WRs then there is no reason that moss can have those kind of numbers. He has too many double teams to be a hugely productive receiver.

If they (thomas and kelly) can take some of the attention away from him (moss), he can absolutely be a top receiver in the division.

Moss doesnt drop that many and he has good speed after the catch. It may take a game or two to establish another viable option for JC

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 11, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hear what your trying to say, but I disagree. Ocho caught like 50 balls last year. The way you get open is by running your route precisely and the QB Delivers it to the correct location, everyone has talent on this level it has nothing to do with talent.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Florio of Pro-Football Talk is reporting that there have been preliminary discussions between the Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers involving Wide Receiver, Santana Moss. The Redskins are said to be asking for a 1st round pick in the upcoming 2010 draft, however the Chargers are countering by offering a 2nd and a 5th round pick"...

looks like he was right....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"...Finally, both of these guys should have been let go, then, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

So we should trade them for a 1st and a 4th, or, barring that, just flat out cut them? That's some f'd up bama azz sht right there. [Did I say that right? RedDMV? 4th? Ruling please]

Posted by: 4-12 | September 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"...it has nothing to do with talent."

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

greg, what's the correct phrase for this stuff??

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It may take a game or two to establish another viable option for JC

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 11, 2009 4:17 PM

-----------

Most def.

More patience is in order.

But here's to hoping for an eye popping debut for JC and his new crew.

Air. It. Out

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think you genuinely know so I will tell you instead of being a jerk about it."

Whateves... being an loud mouth, cursing, degrading a-hole is the only way to get through feeble minded idiots.

If that makes me a jerk, then hand me some lotion, some napkins, and a spankie DVD or mag.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Dude, No one is dumber tan the Raiders they gave up Moss for a 4th, and the reason they did it we don't even need to talk about.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"everyone has talent on this level it has nothing to do with talent."

Just wanted to let it linger just a little longer.....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Bottom Line is its game week. Time to stop worrying about snyder,cerrato and any bs they did in the past n present. All real redskin fans will be thinking positive and hoping WE come out on top sunday...Division game much needed W this week! All Hail to the Burgundy N Gold!Lets Get it! rip MEAST!

Posted by: cgassripMeast21 | September 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

haha, curz, so many come to mind.....I'm thinking maybe "shti for brains", might be a good jumping off point....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

well done, 4-12.

Yes, this crap this guy is spewing is bama s*** to the max!

Moss = First round pick

Betts = At least a fourth round pick

Holy f***!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"linger longer"... shades of Greaseman...

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

New, faster, younger linebacker on the edge. Its a reason to play Wilson over McIntosh on the other edge.

Run blitzes with Landry on an edge or sneaking by up the middle. Fletcher following to catch anything that comes through with help from the "NT" tackle.

Run blitz turns into a pass blitz should the QB decide to go play action to the single covered wide outs.

Seems like their best bet against the Giants. They now have a faster defense at LB and on the DL. I assume that's where you would take advantage of that?

Posted by: periculum | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

And the Cowboys did it us in our home game last year with Barber. But this works both ways. If Jacobs gets 20 - 30 touches he's going to gas eventually too. It'll be interesting to see if Ward's absence will be noticable. Will Jacobs carry a heavier load?

Posted by: pgugino | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Instead of getting rid of Moss, I say we just keep throwing him the ball.

Attack. Attack. Attack.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

what happened to the abilty to blog on regular WashPost article?

Posted by: oknow1 | September 11, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

And his new name shall be...

DrivelMaster?

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

what happened to the abilty to blog on regular WashPost article?

Posted by: oknow1 | September 11, 2009 4:28 PM

----------

Why would you want to?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | September 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

No, your reading into things too deep. I'm saying that these trades should have been happened, the whole point of the conversation is to get rid of them and get some value for them.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Instead of getting rid of Moss, I say we just keep throwing him the ball.

Attack. Attack. Attack.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course, if he's on our team. But my thread was not to scream trade Moss, it was to talk of ways to get Mitchell, Thomas and Mason on the field.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Well there's lots of things that should have been happened, but monkeys are more likely to fly outta people's butts...

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

15600

We couldn't get any good value for you in a trade, so we've decided to get rid of you.

You have been cut from the RI roster.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"For the record, I am not recommending trading Moss. What I am saying is, in the effort to get Mitchell and Mason on the Field, we have to get rid of these players (Moss, and Betts) and the only way to get rid of either is to wait for a team thats needs them, cause personally I don't believe the Redskins do.Posted by: 15600_sknfan"

For the record, I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all. Opinion, sure. Logic, I don't see it.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 11, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

15600_sknfan, I'm not a religious dude by any means.

But I will pray for you.

Seriously, I'm not a some damn guru when it comes to this football s***, but you're in need of a better understanding of how trades work in the NFL.

It isn't the NBA where yo can swap like a swinger joint.

Moss' contract, his age, what he's done in the league to date, doesn't, DOES NOT give him first round/number one pick value. Plus he's hit the NFL twilight age of 30.

The same with Ladell Betts. Betts had one good season three years ago. A lot of RBs have rushed for 1,000 yards, and more than half of them do not garner "at least a 4th round pick".

The fact that he rushed for 1,000 yards THREE years ago means NOTHING in 2009 and beyond. It has no bearing on his trade value either. NONE.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

well done, 4-12.

Yes, this crap this guy is spewing is bama s*** to the max!

Moss = First round pick

Betts = At least a fourth round pick

Holy f***!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you speak sooooo backward. How can you even be a Skins fan. If you are saying they are not worth much then why are they on the team? Its all about need. Also, no need to be a Jerk, is this Blog your life or something, I can tell you get irritated by reading. Go do something else or express yourself, but no need to be rude cause I can handle mine CUZ.... Don't get it twisted. Keep it respectful, and I can too, you act like I'm disturbing the Blog (YOUR BLOG), like some of these other crazies. But, I see you comment like everyday on everything so maybe all of this is personal to you.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

curz, thats good news...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 4:04 PM

Good? It's GReeeeat News!

Campbell passes for at least 300 yards!

I'm driving up to Delaware tommorow!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

You have been cut from the RI roster.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:36 PM

You know that this roster has no cuts. If it had, you and I would have been long gone.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"like some of these other crazies"

said the pot to the kettle.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Geez 15600_sknfan, everyone knows we're not allowed to disturb RedDMV's blog. Better get wit it.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Of course you disagree. You don't realize that Ocho had Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing passes to him instead of Carson Palmer. That's why he only had 50 catches last season. Heck, Randy Moss only had 3 TDs with Oakland in 2006. Why not get rid of him, he sucks right. O wait he came back with 23 TDs in 2007. Ocho is still a great WR and will return to form this season. The point I was trying to make is that taller receivers don't need speed. They can jump higher and take the ball even if the CB gets there at the same time as the ball. Short receivers can not. They won't win that battle. They need to beat the CB to the spot. That's why they drop out of the league when they get slow.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think of myself as someone with limited football knowledge and a fair amount of stupid to contribute to the daily discussion here on da blog.

TE, your role is well defined as well.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

It would've been harder to move Moss then because his he was re-signed and given a phat azz bonus.

Besides, I call bs. You're now saying that the 'skins should have traded them already, but you base the fact that they are now expendable due to the arrival and emergence of Marcus Mason and Marko Mitchell, who just arrived this year.

"Sooooo, we backtracked a tad..."

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

15600 - Do you really think, if our coaches that any one of the 3,4 or 5 receivers was better than Moss, would be able to win games for them more than Moss, that their butts wouldn't be in the game?

And I'll add something that no one has said yet - we don't know how well Kelly, Thomas, et al will do yet. We think they are going to be good, but why not let us see if they are even as good as we MIGHT think they are before you trade Moss?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 11, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think got us a fan playin the fan disguised as another fan... goin full retard to boot

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 11, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

How's the line go I've been reading lately up here?

"You can't make this s*** up"

Betts has NO trade value. NONE.

You'll never get a #1 for Santana Moss. Ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------------

All very well claiming 'you won't get an x-rounder' for xxxx'. Everyone always imagines the best-case scenario, no-one remembers the busts. The thing is about a current player is they're a known quantity - produced in the pros, know the score, mature etc. Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, Lavarr Arrington, Patrick Ramsey, Rod Gardner, Kenard Lang etc....who would you trade for them? Wouldn't swap Devin there...Rationally, think we won't be at the races, emotionally, looking forward to the D bringing the wood. Screw you Giants. You're in our pockets. It's over.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | September 11, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Why in God's name would we want to trade the only proven WR this team has? This reminds me of all the "trade Cooley" drivel we heard this past offseason. Pointless.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Dude, for the last time. Not being worth something in a trade does not mean they are worthless on our team. Santana Moss is extremely valuable to us and almost worthless to anybody else. He has about 2 more years of great football left. He already knows our offense and balances our receiving squad quite well. If he went somewhere else he would have to learn their offense and the QB would have to get his timing with Moss down. That would significantly cut into his last couple years of good football.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Screw you Giants. You're in our pockets. It's over.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | September 11, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

We all wish we were rocking Giants in our pockets

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 11, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17, how's that dead horse beatin' going for you? Making any headway?

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Though I don't agree with the trade Moss poo that is getting flung, I am happy that we can have a perfectly argumentative debate about an aspect of the team that is not a glaring weakness because that means we must be running out of legitimate things to have argumentative debates about.

Sign of improvement? Possibly.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 11, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17, how's that dead horse beatin' going for you? Making any headway?

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

It shall continue until morale improves.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan

"Sooooo, we backtracked a tad..."

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok so now we are beginning to talk on the same page.

We had Mason last year, and possibly the year before that, why did we need to keep Betts (Last year).

We Drafted 2-3 receivers last year, we didn't go to the Superbowl, hell no one even considered it with the new Coach and all. It was a lot of teams last year looking for Quality Wideouts (Including the Skins) that was willing to give up multiple picks including there number 1. Ocho caught like 50 balls last year and we wanted to give up a 1 and a 3 last year, and 2 #1's 2 years ago. If they new they were going to draft all of those damn receivers why didn't they get some value for Moss. Keeping him served us no purpose last year. Bottom line is you have to manage the team properly, its why I'm never surprised at what the PATS does cause they no what the hell they are doing. Now we have all of these developing receivers and Moss. Do you honestly think Moss will retire here? You have to treat these players like investments, they are good to have and use, but when you don't need or want them anymore you must get something in return. Skins will get nothing for Moss, now. But maybe a team that is contending this year say, Minnesota, not saying that I want to give up or get rid of Moss, but for a #1 GOOD BYE.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone confirmed the Moss trade talk?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 11, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

15600_sknfan/chasgiffen,

Hey, when I post something dumb. I get called out for it. I may think it's the brightest thing I've pout to screen, but when EVRYONE on the blog is getting at me for it, maybe, just maybe it has some validity.

chasgiffen, for the record I don't claim this to be my blog. So you can take your f'n co-signing and shove it up your azz d!ckbreath. I post here typically from 11-5ish M-F, the work day. But watching servers all day, you have a s***load of extra time on your hands. The day becomes boring and I come here to RI to get my blog on, ya dig.

Why is when people get exposed on posting dumb ass bulls*** they resort to posting stuff such as:

"Get a life"

"This isn't your blog"

It's called a public forum. When you make your thoughts public, you're going to get criticized or praised for it. Deal with it. You wanna to prevent that from happening? Don't post on a blog which people read on the reg. Besides, it's better to keep your mouth shut then to open it up and remove all doubt.

Oh and 15600_sknfan, you handle yours? What the f is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to see me or something? I bests believe you're barking up the wrong tree with that bs right there... you're in the DMV, neutral place... you know the rest.

Me getting at you about your wack ass post doesn't mean we gotta wreck, but if you're feelin like you gotta say or do something about it let it be known.

You handle yours... yeah me too b!tch, and WHAT?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Red - Keep yo Bama A$$ focused. We in the reg season now. No more offseason Bama-ish Cuzzo.

ITA and keep it moving.......All that talk = Power Rankings.

If it relevant to Sunday, don't even address it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 11, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 11, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

And who told you he was retiring in 2 years? Dude, worst things have happened, and I'm sorry to say that it always happens to the Skins. They are always holding on to players toooo long and giving up toooo much for players they acquire.

For instance - Last year Bum azz J Taylor was acquired by the skins for a 2 and a 5th annnnd he was only to play for 2 more years. Annnd he cost us 8 mil, so give me a break, and don't tell be because they play different positions. No matter who you are or what position you are required to perform and perform well.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

We're "optimistic" that Coughlin should have been more pessimistic.

Ross is listed as out for the game against the Redskins.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone worth a 1st rounder? I don't think so.

But we do have some fine players:

The Real Deal:

Moss
Portis
Cooley
Albert
Hall
Landry
Fletcher

Potential Real Deal:

Orakpo
Kelly
Rogers( the jury will return this season)

That is the extent of it, guys.

Posted by: rgj21 | September 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You handle yours... yeah me too b!tch, and WHAT?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 11, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Dude, been right here in DC for my whole life. All, I'm saying is if you can be rude to me in this blog be rude to me in public, I'm downtown now, and I can give you my schedule for where I will be for the whole weekend and next week. We can meet and discuss our feelings for each other then. How about that?

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone worth a 1st rounder? I don't think so.

But we do have some fine players:

The Real Deal:

Moss
Portis
Cooley
Albert
Hall
Landry
Fletcher

Potential Real Deal:

Orakpo
Kelly
Rogers( the jury will return this season)

That is the extent of it, guys.

Posted by: rgj21 | September 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Are you serious? if we can't get a first rounder for Haynsworth then I will never watch football again.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, If you honestly believe a person is worth 100 mil but not a first rounder, I mean that just doesn't make since to me.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

15600

You have been cut from the RI roster.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Never been apart of whatever roster your speaking of. This is you cats blog not mine, but it was nice to be apart of the discussion.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 11, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

On this point, yes they are weaker, but they still have there eyes on the prize. Thats all that counts, does the Skins, hopefully.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 11, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Calm down you benders. Calling other Skins fans out on the blog? What a joke. Let's debate, let's have some banter. But take it easy buddies. HTTR. BTW, FU NYG. YOU BELONG TO US NOW. BEELLOONNGGGGGG.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | September 11, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV
____________________

Yo Buckwheat, you missed the total, obvious sarcasm of my post. You must be one of those Fire Ready Aim guys. Good ranting skills, just need to add proper targeting.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse