Blache speaks up for his players

The Redskins' last defensive player to earn Pro Bowl honors was safety Sean Taylor in 2007. In fact, he's the only defensive Redskin to play in the Pro Bowl since 2004. The team's defensive coordinator Greg Blache thinks he has a few players this season who are deserving, and he broke his media silence this week to explain why.

Blache had plenty to say, and you can expect to read more of it here in the next couple of days, but first, why did Blache speak? He agreed to the Washington Post's interview request, but would only discuss his players. He did not answer questions about his status or his media silence or the reasons behind his media silence. But when it came to his players, he was happy to speak.

"For the guys, anything," he said. "They do so much for me. They're an extension of my family. They're exceptional people and very deserving."

He said he feels a certain duty to publicly praise his players because, "I know these guys aren't going to do it themselves. And sometimes you hate to see the quality guys go unnoticed."

Pro Bowl voting by fans ends with the conclusion of the Giants-Redskins game Monday night.

By Rick Maese  |  December 15, 2009; 11:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carter has Pro Bowl stats if not the votes
Next: Mike Williams finds a home at right guard

Comments

Keep it up.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Blache musta got some crumbly cookies sent to his desk mid-season...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was asked about F. Davis ever being an elite talent like Gonzalez...F'N dude could not even really give him a full thumbs up, has the potential...but he is not quite there with his maturity in this league...What will it take for him to get fully behind his players and talk them up and get them more confidence.

Greg he is talking about the 2 coming back, Cooley and Davis playing together next year and that was the goal the whole time, getting both of them involved equally in the offense.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 15, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

all he talks about is comfort levels and trust with players...said it was his decision to put ARE on that last punt for the sure hands and he let them down, should be seeing more of DT11 and SM89 for punt returns.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 15, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I just want these last 3 games to be done so we can see who the new coach is and get rid of this joker Zorn.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 15, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Using Santana more on PRs makes sense since they're not getting him the ball as much with Davis and Thomas getting more attention. Santana is great at PRing. I like El in the slot, but have never liked him returning punts.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight. This man goes silent and then publicly speaks up twice, once to endorse the owner and the other to endorse his players? Are you serious?!?! How about speaking up about your players getting burned by double moves or showboating after a tackle made by a player after the opponent gains 8 yards. As Keyshawn Johnson says on Monday nights, 'come on, man!'

Posted by: authorofpoetry | December 15, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Out with the old:

C Portis
L Betts
R Thomas
C Samuel
C Griffin

But let's be classy about it and invite them each back for ceremony at halftime. Give them each a day. Clinton Portis Day, etc. And if Jansen retires give him a day, too. It may be that with the uncapped year it will be easier to retire all these guys. And I for one don't want to see these guys risk their health anymore. It's a young fool's game.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

mh, JZ is in CYA mode at this point. actions, speak louder than words do, if that was your plan, why didn't you act upon your plan, jimmy??

the whole comfort level/trust thing is what has doomed his coaching career...when they needed another weapon other than cooley/moss, he played it too close to the vest, and coached scared....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Does the nation know why the bizarre media silence? I haven't read anything about the reason why, but I know the timing was around the time the consultant was hired by the front office. I thought that might have caused it.

Posted by: jjredskins | December 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

JZ can say what he wants, the fact remains the offense has been playing much better since playcalling was removed from his job description. Furthermore, it appears that playcalling now takes advantage (mostly) of what the offense can actually DO, as opposed to what it "should" do. Zorn appears to be that guy who is convinced that scheme matters more than personnel.

I see the search for a QB last spring as an attempt by VC to get Zorn a WCO-type quarterback, since JC doesn't do well in that style. Having failed in this quest, rather than adapt, JZ stuck with WCO. That's just stupid.

I seriously doubt Zorn is back next year in any capacity. He's a nice guy, doesn't get it.

Look at the DEN and OAK games. Fourth quarter smashmouth keys victory. The classic Redskins formula. Seems like this franchise does best when it does that.

Which brings me to Ganther. Moe had a good point, comparing QG to backs like AP and Turner size-wise. Perhaps I should have said "for his size, he's not fast enough" to be a feature back. Or put another way, "For his speed, he's not big enough".

But, I defer to Moe's wisdom: if he can run against the GiAnts and the Cowboys, he's good enough.

Dudes, have you looked at what teams are doing to NYG lately? With this newfound receiving corps, JC17 could pass for 350 and 5 TD.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 15, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 15, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Love it

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Have they given up on the LB experiment with Orakpo? That's ok with me - he's sure showing his worth at DE. No need to draft DLmen next year. Man, what a rotation!

Orakpo, Carter, Jarmen, Daniels

Haynesworth, Golston, Montgomery, Alexander,

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"I wish Blache would have used the defensive scheme that we used against the Raiders all YEAR long. I like the atttacking, agressive scheme."

I like the idea of using LL as a strong safety.

I also like th idea of converting CR to a FS in order to improve coverage against the deep ball.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Finally a positive non-JC17 bashing post

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Here is London's competition for his first Pro Bowl

Patrick Willis 132 TOTAL 97 SOLO 35 AST 4.0 Sck 8 PASS DEF 2 INT 1 TDs 3 FF

Jon Beason 118 TOTAL 93 SOLO 25 AST 2.0 SACK 9 PASS DEF 3 INT 0 FF 2 FR

London Fletcher 118 TOTAL 76 SOLO 42 AST 2.0 SACKS 6 PASS DEF 1 INT 1 FF

Curtis Lofton 118 TOTAL 95 SOLO 23 AST 2 FF

Barrett Ruud 113 TOTAL 83 SOLO 30 AST 6 PASS DEF 1 INT 1 FF

I say he deserves it, however I also think this should be his 3rd or 4th trip. So as always he's no lock.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 15, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Sure am glad we didn't get Sanchez. Not real sure about Cutler, either.

I hope we don't go QB in the draft. OT in round one, RB in round two. I'm not giving up on Colt B. yet, for one thing.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Concussions caused should be a stat. London Fletcher leads the league in that one. Westbrook, and Desean Jackson. He is an Eagle killer.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of using LL as a strong safety.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 1:06 PM

LL did look good on Sunday. Of course, you usually like your FS to have better hands than CR. What about Hall at FS?

Another thing Sunday was seeing Alexander make two open field tackles on STs. Unbelievable.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Here is London's competition for his first Pro Bowl

Patrick Willis 132 TOTAL 97 SOLO 35 AST 4.0 Sck 8 PASS DEF 2 INT 1 TDs 3 FF

Jon Beason 118 TOTAL 93 SOLO 25 AST 2.0 SACK 9 PASS DEF 3 INT 0 FF 2 FR

London Fletcher 118 TOTAL 76 SOLO 42 AST 2.0 SACKS 6 PASS DEF 1 INT 1 FF

Curtis Lofton 118 TOTAL 95 SOLO 23 AST 2 FF

Barrett Ruud 113 TOTAL 83 SOLO 30 AST 6 PASS DEF 1 INT 1 FF

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 15, 2009 1:09 PM

The tackle stat is a little deceiving. Like London said, when he has a whole lot of tackles it might just mean the DL isn't doing their job. But London should go - Willis should start.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 15, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Tell Blache to shut it. If he can't speak with the media, like coaches are suppose to, no one wants to hear him rant when he feels like it.

Posted by: hbu_dog | December 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Why do u guys continue to want to make DB Safties. Our safties or not the problem. Only Landry gets beat deep so U tried that DB switch with smoot and how did that work terrible beacuse they cant tackle when a runningback in the open field. Move LL to SS or Doughty and moore FS sharing time along with Chris horton at SS. u dont need eric berry or taylor mays..YOu redskins never learn Let the young guys do there Things and see what happen u have all next year to grab a veteran FS if things get worse

Posted by: chinngy23 | December 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse