B-Lloyd not on the trip - Skipped Meeting

He is not here and will not play. From a football standpoint, no big deal, he's been a total bust and has 2 catches all year.

But if you needed any more indication that this has been just about the worst trade and contract extension ever, you've got it. He is inactive because he missed a meeting, according to the team. Vinny Cerrato said he had no further comment on the matter, but did confirm Lloyd did not have a personal issue of any kind.

From what I am told, as the team was gathering to leave Redskins Park Saturday, Lloyd spoke to the coaches and did not get on the bus, rather jumped in his car and pulled away from The Park ASAP, running over anyone who got in his path.

Wonder what Steinberg's take on this will be. Guess Brandon is just miss-understood.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 4, 2007; 11:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Washington Downgraded - Other Injury Stuff
Next: The Rest Of The Inactives

Comments

McCardell musta taken his seat - oh boo hoo! This guy is just another sad example of the mind set of the players these days:

"If you're not gonna throw it to me, I'm not gonna get on the bus"!

I say throw him under the bus, take the salary hit, and promote somebody up the depth chart to fill his spot.

I'm sick and tired of the players attitudes these days. What ever happened to:

"I'll do whatever I can to help the team win"???

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope we see more of McCardell today. When he's had a chance, he's made plays. Less Thrash and more Keenan on O please!

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 4, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

So is this the winning week for the pool or will he be back in uniform next week?

Posted by: bigfish | November 4, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

we are better off without that clown

Posted by: theotts | November 4, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

B. Llyod: "Fine. More time to work on my album."

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 4, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Just another example that Joe Fibbs has no control of this team. The measure of a coach is how much players will put out for them -- witness what rookie coach Mike Tomlin has done in Pittsburgh with players who clearly wanted Whisenhut or Grimm to take over from Cowher. here you have a bunch of people underachieveing.

Posted by: DavidAu | November 4, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

And why are the Redskins waiting until Sunday morning to leave Redskins Park? Shouldn't they have gone up last night and stayed in a hotel instead of waking up at the butt crack of dawn to drive to NJ and getting straight off bus after that long drive to hit the field?

Posted by: bigfish | November 4, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

fish, it's probably a bus ride to Dulles, quick charter flight (

Sometimes they have taken a special charter train to games in Baltimore or Philly, but I doubt they'd do that to New Jersey games.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I love your stuff, man. But you need to cut the childish stuff with Steinberg. And conversely, Steinberg should probably stop giving time to Lloyd. This feud is pretty ridiculous. But just so you know, Steinberg has written this about BLloyd: "Also this: Someone who is going to imply that beat writers are too scared to stand up and do their jobs probably shouldn't leave the locker room at 4:13 and 4:17 after consecutive home games, before the media is permitted inside the locker room, leaving him free of ever having to stand up and answer any questions."

Seems like he's NOT standing up for Lloyd in that quote, so he's not a total Lloyd loyalist. I mean, my goodness. You, Jason, seem to have a major distaste for Lloyd. That's fine. Most fans do, too. He's been awful, and he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. You're certainly right about that.

Steinberg simply says he finds Lloyd entertaining. God forbid you two have different opinions about something. Good thing you both choose to use your blogs in a productive manner about this issue.

I think you both do great work. Jason, this blog is a God-send for all Redskins fans because we have a pretty insatiable appetite about this team, no matter how depressing they are. But can we let this thing rest?

Posted by: CDon | November 4, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

fish, I think pool was guessing the first game FLloyd would be inactive. Whoever had week nine is our winner. Congratulations. Ugh.

I'm Keen on McCardell!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd Contract Extension Press Conference

April 24, 2006

HEAD COACH JOE GIBBS

On the contract extension given to WR Brandon Lloyd:

"We have some good news for all of us here. As everyone knows earlier in the year everyone got a chance to meet Brandon (Lloyd). It was real exciting for us. We executed a trade there with the 49ers and were able to get that done and got him on board. As a process we have been working ever since that point on trying to get a contract done as was released yesterday we have a new seven year-deal. I think it is exciting for us for a number of reasons. Brandon is young. We think that someone who is 24-years old is going to be playing here for a long time."

On Brandon Lloyd's production:

"Our biggest thing with Brandon is that he has been productive in the league. I think with the 49ers last year he had back to back games of over 100-yards. He has started 29 out of the 45 games he has been out there with them. We think we have a heck of an athlete that has a great career."

On What Brandon Lloyd brings to the team:

"What we feel like he has is that he is very graceful down field. He has a great knack for long ball adjustment, which I think Santana (Moss) is the best I have ever seen. I think he is very graceful downfield and makes graceful catches. We had him on tape and he has shown out here too that he has very good hands. He has made one handed catches in games. You picture him as an outside receiver that is very gifted, quick and smooth with very good downfield reaction to the ball. From that stand point he has been a very good addition for us. It has also been good to watch the guys out there. The way Brandon and (Antwaan) Randle El fit in with the guys. They have a great work ethic and they are having a good time out there. Brandon has a great smile on his face all the time and has a great outlook on things. He is very bright. We did a lot of research and we got what we thought we were going to get."

BRANDON LLOYD

On his contract extension:

"I just want to start off by thanking Mr. Snyder and Coach Gibbs for giving me this opportunity. I am just thrilled about being here, being secure here and winning games over the extent of my career. I would like to thank Vinny Cerrato, Eric Schaffer and my agent David Dunn for getting the deal done. It has been a long exhausting process with the move, coming out here and finding hospitals and doctors. It's been crazy. It is good to have one part of my move out here and my stay out here come to closure. The trade was done, the contract is done and now I am ready to start winning games and make a push for the Super Bowl."

On if he was always confident that a deal would get done:

"Yeah, when I first got here that wasn't the issue. The issue was getting the trade done. When we got that done I had complete confidence in the front office here and my agent David Dunn that a deal would get done. It was just a waiting game. It was good. I was able to move on with my life and figure out where I was going to live and what hospital we were going to go to. It was a good process. The timing was perfect and it was good."

On what it tells him about the Redskins given the fact that they gave him a seven-year extension:

"The more important thing was the two draft picks. That is what showed me how important I was to the team. Now that the contract is done I want to prove my worth. I have been here during the workout program. I am looking forward to mini-camps and just looking forward to playing football. The contract is one thing but it is what got me here and who got me here, and who and what is important to me."

On if being around veterans such as QB Mark Brunell, WR Santana Moss, and WR Antwaan Randle El has helped the learning process:

"With any player you never stop learning. It doesn't matter, in 4 years I am not going to know everything. That is the approach that they are taking, especially Santana. We will get on the field and he is asking me how I run my hooks and how I run my out routes. We are comparing. I think that is what makes him such a great player. He has been to a Pro Bowl. That doesn't mean he is done and he can just sit back and everything will come to him. He still wants to learn and that's how I am. Whatever Coach Saunders is coaching and whatever Coach Stan Hixon is coaching I am doing. Whatever little bits of knowledge I can pick up from the guys is gold."

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 4, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nate, Good to see you back. That makes sense if they're flying. I must go set my fantasy lineup now. I'll be up here for the game if not sooner.

Posted by: bigfish | November 4, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Apparetnly the Post forgot Daylight Savings Time when you look at the posting times. Hopefully, Jason's not questioning why he got in so early.

Posted by: straub21 | November 4, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I offcially declare him no longer "The Receiver"... He is now

"THE WHO"

Posted by: rickyroge | November 4, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

One other thing, will this mean that Reche Caldwell is active? Would be nice to see him get an opportunity in 4 wide sets as well. My guess is Lloyd being out of the lineup will not alter the team's play calling since Coach Joe has said this week the team has to get more phsyical.

Posted by: straub21 | November 4, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I really don't care.

He dosen't even start nor play. He's bust and that's that. Stienberg must be on Lloyds's payroll by the amount of article's written.......

Posted by: RightWay | November 4, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

4 WR sets consists of Moss, ARE, Cooooley, and Thrash. It'll be hard for Caldwell to crack that line-up........

Posted by: RightWay | November 4, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

DavidAu,

You got it right. Gibb's has lost control.

It started with CP changing the uniform and then calling his own number whenever he wanted. Then we had Moss sitting in GB when the game was on the line.

Gibbs is the fool who signed this clown. Now he's owns him.

Posted by: gdennie | November 4, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

For heaven's sake, can Coach Joe give the James Thrash routine a rest!??!! I'm not fan of Lloyd, but Thrash is useless at wideout, especially when he's in the game in a single-receiver set. Defenses probably get a good laugh at seeing him out there.

Posted by: lwert99 | November 4, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This is sad, La Canfora.

Lloyd isn't news anymore by your admision, and yet you continue to milk him as news to poke fun at Steinberg.

He's only news because you continue to make him news, money isn't what makes someone news. I've never seen a 3/4 WR get this kind of converage.

The story is that he's been a bust, and I don't see that story changing in any way, so why continue it? You obviously have a horse in this race in regards to Steinberg and frankly that's sad.

Posted by: bhayesp | November 4, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

What's even more sad is the time that you wasted writing up a rant about a story that "you don't care about".

If your 30 million dollar WR doesn't get on the bus to go to the game and speeds off in anger it is news whether you like it or not.

Posted by: bigfish | November 4, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Washington Redskins Inactives:
QB Mark Brunell (3rd QB), DB David Macklin, LB Marcus Washington, G Mike Pucillo, DT Ryan Boschetti, G Randy Thomas, T Kevin Sampson, WR Brandon Lloyd.

Posted by: bigfish | November 4, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

How is MAcklin still inactive? MAybe isn't as good as initially billed........

Posted by: RightWay | November 4, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

My over is looking pretty good right now. Special team meltdown - UGH!

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

soups took a play out of the jets playbook!

Posted by: spotter | November 4, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

CDon said it perfectly. JLC, I dig all your work. That being said, this stuff with the sportsbog is childish and frankly, irrelevant and annoying. Not to mention, I dislike the wide reciever as much as you, but I think you have a responsibility as a writer to be "neutral" as you claim you are. Well, in your chat you responded that you dont pull for the 'Skins, so you shouldn't come off as pleased that you are correct that Lloyd is a bum.

Posted by: jbeall2 | November 4, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to whoever had week nine! I will search the archives and post later. May already be posted in the next thread.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 4, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Thaiphoon!

Posted by: bangkokben | November 4, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

How does a guy who doesn't play a bust? Wake up. You bash this staff for everything but not Lloyd, thats because you are so set on bashing Lloyd you cant see the big picture...

Posted by: ballerjayson | November 4, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Dude, you are pathetic. Lay off this petty "feud" you have with Steinberg. He comes across as someone who doesn't take this seriously, and is joking around, and you just come across as sad.

Stick to making bad suggestions to the Skins coaching staff, you are much better at that.

Posted by: tedunni1 | November 4, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the whole history of issues with B-Lloyd and the Skins, but I do know that the season is HALF WAY OVER and the 'skins have a grand total of ZERO TD RECEPTIONS to WR's. B-Lloyd may be an idiot (I really don't know) but what does that tell you about the skins coaching/play calling.

Posted by: CoachD1 | November 4, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Re: Steinberg -- I say get him. Nothing really insensitive here; if you call it right, why not remind those that called wrong?

worstSeat