Bobby Turner officially named running backs coach

The Redskins named Bobby Turner, a Mike Shanahan assistant in Denver for his entire 14-year tenure there, as assistant head coach-running backs on Thursday, the first hire to Shanahan's new staff that has officially been announced by the team.

Turner, 60, served 15 years with the Broncos, staying on Josh McDaniels's staff even after Shanahan was fired. His hiring has been expected since earlier in the week, when the Broncos finally granted Washington permission to speak with Turner.

"Not many coaches can match the success that Bobby has had over the years," Shanahan said in a statement. "He is one of the top coaches in the NFL and, more importantly, a great person. We are excited to have him on the staff here in Washington. He will play a major role in the development of our offense."

Six running backs had 1,000-yard seasons under Turner. We'll have more on the comings and goings on the coaching staff shortly.

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 14, 2010; 11:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bugel: Shanahan's 'going to build the offensive line'
Next: Redskins sign free agent lineman Lichtensteiger

Comments

Posted by: thor2 | January 14, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many 1000 yard seasons he had if you also add up the top 2 feature backs each year - after the davis and portis years.

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's some recent history. I like it a lot.

2009

Selvin Young 729

2006
================
Tatum Bell 1025
Mike Bell 677

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The main focus from our new coach is the o-line and running backs! Yeah baby!!!

Posted by: pharrrrtt | January 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Bobby Turner officially named running backs coach"

So far, it's:

Bruce Allen, GM

Mike Shanahan, Head Coach

Kyle Shanahan, Offensive Coordinator(?)

Jim Haslett, Defensive Coordinator

Booby Turner, Running Backs

...am I missing anybody?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Note how many different names are on that list. They can make a serviceable back out of your grandma if they want to.

So don't expect them to draft Spiller, they don't need him.

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

this new staff and Gibbs staff is making the Zorn staff look like a joke

maybe it was

hahahahah good one i get it now, OK enough fun & games back to reality

start with the foundation and build

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Moe you're missing Slowick DB coach (unofficial but very likely)

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I am personally excited about Turner. The ability to maximize an individual's ability to be a standout. Of course, much more complicated than that, you must also have the line. But, going deep into the drafts to find the hidden talent, successfully, sure does present serious opportunities. Turner, will be a great piece of the puzzle that may help revive a potential sleeping giant. Let's find and revive them!

Posted by: Sarducci | January 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Moe, we also hired a LB coach from Pittsburgh, forgot his name though.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yo! 4th Floor... basic football here, a STUD LT would be the BIGGEST difference maker on THIS offense!

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 14, 2010 11:39 AM

I agree. When did I say it wouldn't? Are you refering to me saying we don't need to draft a LT with the 4th pick?

If so, then all I can do is point to Bugel and the Redskins Scouting Department who has said they have identified 6/7 Tackles in the draft.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Lou Spanos will be the LB Coach

Posted by: swowra | January 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

And ChRIs LaRRy....

While we are pointing out what happened last year.....Let's also point out the dude I was advocating for, Brian Cushing (A REAL SAM LB), was named to the 2nd team ALL PRO TEAM.....Also won the Def ROY award....AND went to the Pro Bowl....

Can you say TRIFECTA BABY!

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

We are CRUSHING the offseason.

This is our time of year to be happy as Skins fans. I'm enjoying it immensely so far.

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I will throw my name in for cheering up the said Cheerleaders job, and I will work for free.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"...we also hired a LB coach from Pittsburgh, forgot his name though."

The offensive line coach will be a very important hire.

A Gibbs? R Dennison?

We'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

When are they going to sh_tcan Stan Hixon?

People need to understand that just because you don't draft a offensive linemen in the first round it doesn't mean that you won't be able to get another one in the next or later rounds.

It's not Okung or bust.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 14, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The offensive line coach will be a very important hire.

A Gibbs? R Dennison?

We'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 11:53 AM |

They both have new jobs already.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

4th, I have given you props on Cushing....although that dude is deep on siht list though no fault of him...

butt, his ability, which I never doubted doesn't mean I agree with your ASSesment that SAM LB was the number 1 need.

That is where we differ.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they intend to try to get 2 out of the 6 or 7 tackles they like depending how free agency and the draft plays out. It's not like we don't need them.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So don't expect them to draft Spiller, they don't need him.

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious and well said. Use this pick on a guy you might've heard about from OK St...

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Red...word is Mann from TB, a Allen guy, is going to be WR coach. My guess is that when that is finalized adios hixon...

PFT was also saying that Antonio Bryant who is a FA will want to follow Mann..

Again, just passing on info hamsters, not offering opinion...dont taze me bro!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo was the "right wrong pick" if you know what I mean.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"That's the good stuff...go on little man, don't be afraid to ride the lightening.."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | January 14, 2010 11:43 AM

Selvin Young isn't he a street FA. What's up with him? He's had some modest success in the new rushing attack.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

CL - What is your current list of needs?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

How about Joe Wickline for offensive line coach?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

With Bobby Turner being hired, Lisa should be happy.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 14, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Many great lines have paved the road to OZ (HOF). There have been many great lines that laid out the yellow brick road for the backs to follow, and where would the sticky handed WR's and rifle armed QB's be without them. I guess our next great line should then be called The Wizard's, so we can pave our own road to OZ.

Posted by: Sarducci | January 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

First of all, this "First" thing is already tiresome.

Secondly, I wish the Redskins would have hired Alex Gibbs to coach the offensive line. Bobby Turner coached the RBs in Denver but Alex Gibbs built the O-lines for many years. I live in Denver and have read/heard over and over that Gibbs was the mastermind behind Denver's great running game.

Gibbs just got hired by Pete Carroll in Seattle.

Still, I am excited about Turner.

Posted by: rocco1109 | January 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo was the "right wrong pick" if you know what I mean.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I could see us in that situation again this year. I mean somebody evetually has to tell the Lions that Jeff Backus sucks. I know Schwartz recently remarked that Backus should have received some pro bowl votes but c'mon man. They gave up 43 sacks this year and got their rookie QB hurt several times. I hate to say it but I think our chance of getting Okung isn't that great. In the event that Okung is gone then who do we take? Who is this year's right wrong pick?

I'm going with Eric Berry.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

With Bobby Turner being hired, Lisa should be happy.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 14, 2010 12:06 PM

Yeah, but only if he's dark-skinned...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 14, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"They both have new jobs already (offensive line coach)."

Now that L Kiffin has left UTenn, I wonder who there line coach was.

College teams like 'Bama and UT feature very good offensive lines: I wonder if a college line coach might be a good idea.

And don't mock this: Greg Mattison, the ravens d coordinator, was a college coach in the SEC before joining the deadbirds.

There might be some talent somewhere else.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Bryant > Malcolm Kelly

I was thinking that with the improved play of the "WR-TE-WR" combination that you couldn't get rid of any of those guys.

Watching Kelly attempt to run for the TD on that 83 yard completion (what 80 yard anything doesn't go for a TD?) it was obvious that he has no speed, at least for a NFL wide receiver.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

4th,

I will withhold until I get a firmer sense of who we will lose, what defense we will run etc..

But if we drafted 6 OLmen...i'd be happy with that....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with Eric Berry.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 14, 2010 12:09 PM

Berry would be a good pick. However, if the QB's grade out well (top 7) I'd expect a QB drafted at #4 by the Skins. I'd pick either McCoy or Berry depending on who's on the board at that point.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

red, no thanks, on that. that makes little to no sense to me anyway..

cl, 1-brazillion percent agreed. all ol, all the time

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

But if we drafted 6 OLmen...i'd be happy with that....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 12:15 PM |

Damn straight!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

But if we drafted 6 OLmen...i'd be happy with that....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 12:15 PM

And I would be calling you out next year...lol...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Turner got Tatum Bell to 1,000 yds. I wonder if he's the one that taught Bell how to carry luggage without fumbling?

Posted by: daggar | January 14, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know, if Bryant isn't asking for much in salary, I think you can sacrifice Kelly to bring him aboard."

Bryant would be worth the money.

Moss is the only proven reciever we have, and Bryant would force himslef on the field.

Thomas, Moss, and Bryant with Davis/Cooley is nice......

...if there's blocking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Bobby Turner officially named running backs coach"

So far, it's:

Bruce Allen, GM

Mike Shanahan, Head Coach

Kyle Shanahan, Offensive Coordinator(?)

Jim Haslett, Defensive Coordinator

Booby Turner, Running Backs

...am I missing anybody?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 11:44 AM

Joe Doakes

Posted by: skinfanman | January 14, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

not sure where they are now but

Pat Ruel who was at USC
Hugh Nall, Auburn
Mike Markuson, Ole Miss
Mac McWhorter, Texas
Rick Trickett, FSU

where considered the top o-line coaches in the college ranks

most of them have had All-Americans or first team all-conference guys over multiple years

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Bobby Turner officially named running backs coach"

So far, it's:

Bruce Allen, GM

Mike Shanahan, Head Coach

Kyle Shanahan, Offensive Coordinator(?)

Jim Haslett, Defensive Coordinator

Booby Turner, Running Backs

...am I missing anybody?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

I keep hearing Danny Smith is returning. How the EFF does this guy keep his job?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

This late-night post with a twitter for JaLa, the original "Redskins Insider" gave the best insider info re: the status and timing of coaching staff decisions.

=========================================
This from our old pal Jason LaCanfora (@JasonLaCanfora) via Twitter:

Kyle Shanahan's first day as Redskins offensive coordinator comes Fri with his wife just having a child. Richard Mann almost certain to be named the team's WR coach by the weekend and Scott Wachenheim strong candidates to remain TE coach by Monday. On the defensive side safeties coach Steve Jackson and LB coach Kirk Olivadotti both interviewed with Mike Shanahan. Jackson could keep his job while Olivadotti in line to be assistant LB coach. Skins special teams coach Danny Smith denied permission to interview with Seattle, Pitt, and Detroit and thus will remain with Skins for at least another season. Shanahan set to tell all coaches in DC where they stand by Monday.

Posted by: mmeixler | January 14, 2010 4:35 AM

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Moe, we also hired a LB coach from Pittsburgh, forgot his name though.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 14, 2010 11:48 AM

Spanos, Lou Spanos

Posted by: abxinc | January 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

most of us agree we need

O line
DB
RB
and QB

There are 2 FA O line from Denver plus the college guys
of DBs I think we need FS and should retain Rogers
At RB I'd retain Portis and get a guy that can help the return game, Thomas, D should focus on WR, maybe mccluster in the 4th
and at QB I think we need a back up with an upside and retaining J Campbell is the key to season

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

How the EFF does this guy keep his job?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 14, 2010 12:25 PM

If he keeps it, I'm guessing that it's by impressing Mike Shanahan more than the gaggle of disgruntled bloggers that are yapping at him up here. Personally, I'm not a disgruntled blogger. Au contraire -- I'm happily gruntled.

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

McCoy not considered 1st rounder, much less top 5. Clausen/Bradford are the top two, and neither has the bloodlines (Manning), offense (USC), or intangibles (Matt Ryan) that would make them a compelling pick for me.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 12:11 PM

That's the first I've heard the Ravens referred to as the deadbirds. Made me laugh. (And I spent much of my youth in B'more)

Posted by: skinfanman | January 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd pick either McCoy or Berry depending on who's on the board at that point.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:19 PM
======================================
Which McCoy, because DT McCoy probably goes to TB @#3, QB McCoy stays on the board until the 3rd or 4th round

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't be surprised to see Ryan Torain or Selvin Young on the skins next season. Hopefully Torain, Shanny was high on him before he injured his knee on that Thursday night game vs Cleveland in 2008.

He can be a beast and is very young. Trying to find out where he is now.

Posted by: rickmort | January 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it ridiculous to be thinking about WR on this squad, buy since Vinny's an idiot Im sure we'll focus on WR.

Miss you Vinny, not really

I'm not seeing WR on MY lost of needs, if anything use the 6th or 7th round a la marko mithcell

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

agreed on all (order should be OLine, QB, RB, DB) pabrian..but JC??
.. I dont think Shanny will like his read and release speed. Will Shanny accomodate JC and develop a slow drop back Offense?? Who knows.. My guess is a big name vet with those skill sets and experience comes in.
========================================
most of us agree we need

O line
DB
RB
and QB

There are 2 FA O line from Denver plus the college guys
of DBs I think we need FS and should retain Rogers

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 12:29 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I think if Okung is gone, the team might want to look at trading down a bit, since there seems to be little separation in the OL talent after Okung. Scouts say Selvish Caper form West Virginia would be a good zone blocking tackle in the NFL and I think he's going to fly under a lot of teams' radar. Bruce Campbell from Maryland is another under-the-radar offensive tackle and you know how this team likes Maryland offensive linemen... If Okung is gone, trading down and taking as many offensive lineman they can get in the first three rounds would be a good strategy. Let's hope they can get an offensive line coach that specializes in bringing young guys along. That's what I like about Joe Wickline: he's developed a slew of offensive linemen in his career at the college level - including Okung - and knows what building an offensive line is all about.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with Eric Berry.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 14, 2010 12:09 PM

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

No chance it's McCoy. His stock plummeted faster than Bear Stearns when he was knocked out of the BCS game. He's projected as a 3rd-4th rounder now.

PAskinsfan17, to answer your question- if it Okung is gone, I'd like it to be OT Davis from Rutgers. But if we're talking "right wrong" pick, I'd have to agree that we could do a lot worse than end up with Eric Berry. But I think we must draft O-line with at least 2 of our first 3 picks, including the #4 overall.

As for Antonio Bryant- maybe he's got some tread left on the tires, maybe not. I'd give him the veteran minimum, let's see what he's got. Otherwise I don't think you can afford to stunt the development of the Irish Brigade, Thomas Kelly. Devin took major strides and Malcolm started to show something at the end. He could still be a bust but I say give him one more year. Way more upside there than bringing in a 29 yr old guy who's has character questions at his expense.

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | January 14, 2010 12:23 PM

Funny

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, can someone please tell me what PFT stands for on this blog. Thanks.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about ya'll but I loved how intimidating our defense was becoming once Sean Taylor and L. Landry were out there together. Yeah Landry has some “Angle and Wrapping Issues”….but just think, we could have it again with the pick up of Taylor Mays (FS).
He would become (Sean) Taylor Mays. Our beloved ST21 has been reincarnated though him. (Stinkmeaner Style) I can see flashes of Sean in his play. Such a beast. Sean is his Idol. Let us do what is right. If we get someone on D it should be him. Thoughts?

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, can someone please tell me what PFT stands for on this blog. Thanks.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 12:41 PM |

Pro Football Talk

It is a website that post's Rumors about the NFL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

If Denver went from the Shanahan zone-blocking scheme to a more conventional o-line when Josh McDaniels came in, we should go after as many of those guys as possible.

Posted by: minorthread | January 14, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

...and retaining J Campbell is the key to season

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 12:29 PM
-----------------------------------------
You and PaSkin never stop, do you? How in the name of Vince Lombardi is retaining Campbell "key" to next season? I thought you and your doppleganger were advocating Campbell as nothing more than a stopgap. How does that make him "key"?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Otherwise, I don't think you can afford to stunt the development of the Irish Brigade, Thomas, Kelly, Davis."

Irish brigade?

Them brothas are irish like I'm a smart white man pretending to be black, which, after all, is the definition of a cool azz brother in the first place.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

red, no thanks, on that. that makes little to no sense to me anyway..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

What doesn't make sense about it? Care to elabo on it bit, other than "it doesn't make sense"?

Kelly is not untouchable. If I recall correctly he was benched this year. I like Devin and Marko's upside more than Kelly's.

Or get rid of Randle El, I'd be in favor of that more than Kelly.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Turner's first task: Get rid of CP26 for being an arrogant, overpaid, out of condition, selfish, me-first, illiterate, team busting, coach breaking, owner sucking, sack of sh_t.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 14, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Pro Football Talk

It is a website that post's Rumors about the NFL.

Thank You Flounder. Appreciate that info!

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RSH for pointing out OTHER tackles in the draft other the Okung. Especially since he wouldn't be the best match for the Zone Blocking scheme....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I meant Gerald McCoy. I wouldn't draft Colt McCoy until rd 3-5. The Bucs could take G. McCoy but under PA scenario Berry could go at #3, because he's the BPA on the board, and he was coached by M. Kiffin so he'd be a strong bet at #3 as well. So the mock would look like

1 Suh
2 Okung
3 Berry
4 G. McCoy

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

UFA, RFA and EFA, notwithstanding, anyone see any sleepers in this free agent QB list that might fit Shanahan's style of Offense? I know a few on the list are marginal and a couple even laughable NFL QBs at best, but its the complete list, nonetheless.

Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos (27)
Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins (28)
Chad Pennington, Miami Dolphins (34)
Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (27)
Kellen Clemens, New York Jets (27)
Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers (35)
Kyle Boller, St. Louis Rams (29)
David Carr, New York Giants (31)
Brodie Croyle, Kansas City Chiefs (27)
Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions (33)
Rex Grossman, Houston Texans (30)
Joey Harrington, New Orleans Saints (31)
Jon Kitna, Dallas Cowboys (37)
Matt Moore, Carolina (26) – Restricted FA
Chris Redman, Atlanta Falcons (33)
Brett Ratliff, Browns (25) – Exclusive Rights FA
Troy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (26) – Restricted FA

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

The late rounds was where me and Vinny got off the train of drafting philosophies at different stations.

I believe the early rounds you do have to take best available. I mean, no one can argue with a straight face that Heyward-Bey was a good pick for the Raiders last year because they 'needed a burner'.

Thus, we take an Orakpo because he's the best available, and there's no disputing he has positively impacted our roster.

But then in the late rounds, what'd we draft like 4 TE/FBs? Like we were going to replace Mike Sellars, Cooley, or Fred Davis. Please. Those guys had no chance of making the roster, and even a pleasant surprise like Marko Mitchell could do no better than the inactive list all season.

The point is... the driving formula shouldn't be exclusively need based or rank based. You should look at your roster and figure out who is going to make the most positive impact.

If that impact is a game breaker coming in and making people around them better, so be it. If the impact is filling a hole or upgrading depth, so be it. But the positive impact potential to the roster still has to be there... Unlike drafting a punter, a wild card QB from Hawaii, or 8 FB/TE's who have zero chance of making the team.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 12:46 PM

Right. Now you're gonna tell me that Ella Fitzgerald wasn't from Ireland, either?

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Position: OT
School & Year/Status: West Virginia - Senior
Jersey Number: #66
Height & Weight: 6-5 - 298 lbs.
Ranked #83 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
Selvish Capers started his collegiate career at West Virginia as a tight end. He played there as a redshirt freshman in 2006 in a limited capacity. During the off-season (heading into the 2007 campaign), Capers was moved to the offensive line. Capers started that season as a back up, but by the middle of the season he secured the starting position at right tackle and has been there ever since. Capers has helped pave the way for some great rushing offenses. In 2006, the Mountaineers ranked third in the nation in rushing offense. In 2008 the team ranked 15th in the nation. Capers deserves a lot of credit for those impressive numbers.
Capers has a little room to put on more weight and at this point he is better suited as a right tackle rather than a left tackle; that will move him down most draft boards. Capers is certainly a capable player who has great footwork, yet his best asset is his ability to stay healthy. Capers has been a starter since the 2007 season and has not missed a game since.

Capers is not one of the top linemen in this class, but he could develop into a quality NFL player sooner or later, and that should make him worth a mid or late round selection

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

He can be a beast and is very young. Trying to find out where he is now.

Posted by: rickmort | January 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I believe he is a free agent.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, can someone please tell me what PFT stands for on this blog. Thanks.

Posted by: diamond_jim

LMFAO!!!!

ProFootballTalk.com

Posted by: RedDMV | January 14, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos (27)
Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins (28)
Chad Pennington, Miami Dolphins (34)
Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (27)
Kellen Clemens, New York Jets (27)
Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers (35)
Kyle Boller, St. Louis Rams (29)
David Carr, New York Giants (31)
Brodie Croyle, Kansas City Chiefs (27)
Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions (33)
Rex Grossman, Houston Texans (30)
Joey Harrington, New Orleans Saints (31)
Jon Kitna, Dallas Cowboys (37)
Matt Moore, Carolina (26) – Restricted FA
Chris Redman, Atlanta Falcons (33)
Brett Ratliff, Browns (25) – Exclusive Rights FA
Troy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (26) – Restricted FA

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse
**************************************
After seeing this list I am certain that he keeps campbell, as the stopgap for next season.

Bring in Ryan Torain @ RB

Posted by: rickmort | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

PFT is completely reliable...100 percent accurate at ALL times....whenever they get quoted up here, no matter how outlandish, believe them....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead..
Methinks PABrian and PASkins are the same individual.
====================================

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:45 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

im pretty sure he meant Gerald Mccoy Twisi

Posted by: Skins281 | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Gerald McCoy stud DT Bama Top 5 pick
Colt McCoy noodle arm QB Texas 3-4 rd

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Campbell is not flying under any radars. He's rated as either 3rd or 4th best OT, likely to go mid to late first round.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

barring a trade.. i would agree.. JC picked a good time to be FA.

Speaking of "trade"..Matt Hasselbeck would be an interesting fit to Shanny's O style..
=======================================

Bring in Ryan Torain @ RB

Posted by: rickmort | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Position: OL
School & Year/Status: LSU - Senior
Jersey Number: #70
Height & Weight: 6'5 - 322 lbs.
Ranked #45 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Ciron Black, OL, LSU
Black has been the pillar of the LSU offensive line for four consecutive seasons, and he is one of the most experienced players in all of college football. Since redshirting in 2005, the senior tackle has started an incredible 52 straight games for the Tigers; 13 as a freshman, 14 as a sophomore, 13 as a junior, and so far 12 in his final campaign in Baton Rouge. Black was named a First-Team Freshman All-American by several publications in 2006, and he was an All-SEC performer in each of his next two seasons. The Tigers have been plagued by injuries this year so the offense has not been piling up a ton of yards, but Charles Scott (4.7 yards per carry) and Keiland Williams (5.3 ypc) have found success running behind a stellar offensive front.
Black also projects well to the NFL, and not just because he is extremely durable. In the mold of most LSU linemen, Black stands at an imposing 6'5'' and 322 pounds. He runs in the mid-5.3s of the 40-yard dash and has been clocked faster than 5.30 at that distance; impressive speed for a man of his size. Scouts will also love the fact that Black is an outstanding person off the field who excels in the classroom. The only real drawback--if you can call it that--is that Black, who has played both right and left tackle for the Tigers, is not an NFL left tackle (the more valuable position). He is an excellent run-blocker, but he must improve in the pass-blocking department if he is ever to protect a quarterback's blind side. Even so, Black is a lock to be off the board before the end of the second round, and he even has a shot at a late first-round selection.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 12:50 PM
-----------------------------------------
I like him in Shanny's offense. Yes, the kid is raw and might need to play a little right tackle, but he can get down field and he stays healthy. If Samuels decides to play a year longer, Capers might be a good investment. He would be a steal in the fourth round, but I really don't think he will last that long...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd like it to be OT Davis from Rutgers.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 12:40 PM

From what I've read, Davis has the athleticism to go that high, but his production doesn't warrant a top 5 pick. Inconsistent technique on the field, immature off the field.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM

PFT is. BeantownGreg1 is not. PFT is a rumor mill. BeantownGreg1 is a disinformation mill.

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

from espn insider:

Bryant to the Skins?
12:33PM ET
Antonio Bryant | Buccaneers | Interested: Redskins?
Top Email

Back in early December, Jim Flynn of Pewter Report said during a radio appearance that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might be done with WR Antonio Bryant altogether, noting that if the current regime is intact for 2010, it won't consider a long-term deal or a franchise tag.

Intriguing, especially because the regime will be largely intact this offseason. We've listed Bryant among the more captivating possible free agents for this offseason, and if Flynn's sources are right, that possibility will become a reality. One team that could be interested is the Washington Redskins, who are interviewing Bucs WR coach Richard Mann this week. NFL writer Gregg Rosenthal connected the dots on Thursday morning and posted that conclusion on Twitter.

The Redskins are frequently listed as interested suitors for big-name free agents based on owner Daniel Snyder's propensity for overspending. In this case, it could be particularly wasteful, because Bryant's breakout season (1,248 yards and seven touchdowns in 2008) looks more like a blip in the radar than anything else.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 14, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

red, I'd rather see what Kelly has, and give him the chance to succeed, than bring in AB. Throw out the window ANYTHING that happened with JZ at the helm, like Kelly getting benched for example.....I'm not saying he's untouchable, rather, I want to give him a LEGITIMATE shot at succeeding, rather than what he's been given.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 12:42 PM

Wrong..Mays is a SS in the NFL and is the 3rd rated safety in the draft class.

1. Berry
2. Earl Thomas

Mays had an off year and any comparisons to 21 are reprehensible.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"PFT is. BeantownGreg1 is not. PFT is a rumor mill. BeantownGreg1 is a disinformation mill"

you sir, have cut me to the quick....shame on you...I merely copy and paste, what you've suggested above is blasphemy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Agreed..McCoy too fragile for the NFL (like Simms 2.0)..
Also, wonder if Bradford can pass an NFL physical with those shoulder ligaments?

=========================================
Colt McCoy noodle arm QB Texas 3-4 rd

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 12:52 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Funny... with all the QB talk going on nobody is mentioning Colt.B ...damn! So many on his knuts, and now not a peep..double damn!

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 12:54 PM
------------------------------------------
I think he'll drop because of the injury history. It would concern me if I were looking at him in the first round. In the second, I think he's worth the risk.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL Moe...thanks I know...but you have to admit Thomas Kelly...it's the perfect Irish name

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

barring a trade.. i would agree.. JC picked a good time to be FA.

*****************************************
Don't like it. Better fit for Zorn's offense and he is battered bruised and old.

Posted by: rickmort | January 14, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Pro Football Talk

It is a website that post's Rumors about the NFL.

Thank You Flounder. Appreciate that info!

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Diamond jim, BEWARE! If BeantownGreg starts quoting from PFT, watch out. BT has a habit of starting outrageous rumors from PFT, everyone goes crazy, then the dust settles, and BT has a little smirk on his face.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Cool ass brotha = Me

What you described = Inside out oreo

Posted by: RedDMV | January 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

OK I'll elaborate on why we need to forget Antonio Bryant. I’m pi$$ed I even considered this a viable option. Let’s look at his track record-

Dallas: traded after arguing with Bill Parcells. Mess with the Tuna, smart.
Browns: 1 pretty good, 1 not so great season.
San Fran: signs fat contract; cut March 2007, after one year, for insubordination and frequent run-ins with head coach. Fails drug test that summer.
Tampa: After solid 2008 season (82 catches, 1200 yds, 7 TDs), the Bucs place the franchise tag on him, guaranteeing him a one year salary of $9.8 million (after making $700K in ’08)…and complains about it. While making Top 5 WR money, he has a whopping 39 catches for 600 yards.

What’s not to love?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

We have to be able to stretch the field in order to get the running backs the yardage. When means the offensive line will have to give our QB much more time and our receivers will have to create some speed/spacing in their routes. And if our QB is JC, then JC will have to become much more accurate in his 20+ yard passes.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

When he no longer needs a Walker and is out of rehab, I am sure he will be back in the RI mix.
By the way, I cant remember how he got injured? running out of the pocket in preseason?
=======================================

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

keeping the Hail Mary's inbounds would be a good start.
================================

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 14, 2010 1:04 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Bryant is the classic example of a "me first" underachieving malcontent. No thanks. Give Devin Thomas room to continue his growth, let Malcolm Kelly and Marko Mitchell compete for the #2 WR spot, and put Santana in the slot. You can always move 89 back to the flanker spot if the young guys struggle.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Shanny Jr. is on board. Somebody has to drive the rest of the coaching staff to the Cracker Barrel for the early bird special.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

=======================================

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:00 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:05 PM
-------------------------------------------
I think Brennan should get a chance just like anyone else they bring in. I honestly believe Zorn messed him up. The kid is an instinctive quarterback and Zorn had him thinking too much.

I think Colt Brennan will right away remind Shanahan of Jake Plummer. I'm not saying Colt is that good, just saying he is very similar. Still, I don't see Brennan starting. It'll either be Campbell or some veteran free agent...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't see us adding any WRs. We have too much other stuff to worry about....

QB
OLB
Safty
OLine
RB

(Not in particular order)

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth wants know part of the 3-4, I called it

Posted by: Istudydrugs | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

We need to look for a special teams guy... like Cribbs/Hester that just specialize in returning kicks/punts so we don't have to keep putting back Moss, Thomas, & Hall. I can't believe the Redskins didn't draft Desean Jackson when they were going after 3 receivers in a row & left him on the board... Size doesn't matter... Heart, determination & speed KILLS!

Posted by: tony325 | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010

Sounds like durability issues. I dare someone say Colt could take the abuse JC17 took this season.

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Fredie, I shall keep an eye on The Beaner and on PFT.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM |

Shanny JR had the 4th rated offense in the NFL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Funny. But kid seems to have his act together. Called the plays for the 4th ranked offense last year. Gotta give him some credit.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

vinny passed on DeSean twice, Eddie Royal once in the same round.
==================================

Posted by: tony325 | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you know that's wrong... the last of the Space Cowboys has left the building, right?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 14, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth wants know part of the 3-4, I called it

Posted by: Istudydrugs | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM |
When it comes to the Skins I wouldn't put much stock in what JLC has to say.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I've heard Shanny prefers the Uncle Herschel's Breakfast, as did Sherm Lewis, coincidentally.

Posted by: mattylight | January 14, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth wants know part of the 3-4, I called it

Posted by: Istudydrugs | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM
-----------------------------------------
If the coach made him run laps every time he opened his pie hole to the media, Haynesworth wouldn't need to such on an oxygen bottle every three downs in a game.

F_Haynesworth

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

vinny passed on DeSean twice, Eddie Royal once in the same round.
==================================

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Every team in the league passed on both these guys at least once, and half of the teams passed on them twice. So what?

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"PFT is reporting that rumors out of South Carolina are that Steve Spurrier wants another crack at the NFL, specifically wants to go back to Washington where he coached the Redskins for 2 years. Allegedly Spurrier has been in contact with current coach Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan is open to the idea of creating a spot on the coaching staff for Steve"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

redDmv

"What you described = Inside out oreo"

Wow.

I get be called an oreo again.

That never happens when I'm around smart black people.

Like I said.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Poor Shanny jr is going to miss Matt Schaub.

Schaub, 1st Qtr QB rating (no padded mop up stats)= 105.2

JC 1st Qtr = 69.8

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Bean,
You should've waited a few days...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

League proposes immediate changes to rookie pay
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2010 1:16 PM ET
In December 2008, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the current system for changing rookie pay would not change until 2011.

Apparently, there's been a calendar malfunction at 280 Park Avenue.

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the league has proposed the implementation of a rookie wage scale for the April 2010 draft. She also reports that the NFLPA has responded with a proposal that would change the structure of the rookie deals beginning in 2010, too.

The league's proposal, per Mullen, would pay players a fixed amount based on draft slot, with a "significant" portion of the savings being distributed to retired players. The NFLPA responded Tuesday with a proposed three-year limit on rookie contracts, along with a two-year extension to the current labor deal and a commitment by the owners to match the payment to the retired players arising from the contribution flowing from the savings in rookie pay.

It's safe to assume that the league won't agree to an extension of the labor contract merely in order to cap rookie pay. The owners are poised and motivated to attempt to make major changes to the system for paying all players, and there's a sense on the management side of the table that the players are on the ropes. A request to hit the pause button for two years will do little to alter that perception.

The league apparently would like to work out a new system for paying rookies separate and apart from the broader labor deal. The union surely would prefer to resolve all issues at once.

The situation has little relevance to players currently trying to decide whether to give up any remaining college eligibility, since a change in 2010 will affect them regardless of whether they come out now or later.

But given the chance that the slowly-falling stone door won't hit the floor before April, some players might decide to try to slide under it by leaving school now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Quality Control Coach. i.e. golf as much as you want during the week, show up on Sunday's and tell me when to throw the challenge flag and keep me up-to-date on how many timeouts we have left.

Posted by: mattylight | January 14, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

SMACK was refering to the age of all the other new coaches.....Shanny and Turner are getting up there in age...

The Dan will never be a complete owner until he decides for once in his life to go with an unproven person under 45.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

on the last thread, someone mentioned the idea of trading Campbell for Boldin.

I think you add Cooley (or Davis) to the deal -- guys Campbell has a good repore with already -- and that increases the value to AZ without hurting this team much, as 2 pass catching TEs aren't on the field together that often. Leinhart might be another piece in the deal, a placeholder QB with potential to win the job.

Boldin will demand a big price tag, which will be an obstacle. I suspect that Danny's free spending days on big name guys is going to end until this team starts to win.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Fredie, I shall keep an eye on The Beaner and on PFT.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 14, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Having said that, I always enjoy the PFT reports coming out of Boston, such as...

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

bean

I'm purchasing Sring Training tickets tomorrow morning.

The Yanks play the Red or Phillies in a game that'll be on ESPN.

I promise to wave at the camera should they panshot my way.

I'll be in an oreo costume so folks will know who I am.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Dan is still paying Spurrier..
=====================================

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't always see eye to eye with Bean, but I would never, ever doubt his PFT posts when it comes to 'skins news. Dude is rock solid in that department.

Posted by: mack1 | January 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Pure Frickin' Trash

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

well Moe, this is the guy that wants to replace a Malcolm with a Malcontent

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM

And always enjoy that no matter how often BeantownGreg1 -- the original Massshole -- does it, someone up here falls for it. "Hey, I just checked on PFT and I can't find that. Can you give me the exact cite?"

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Dan is still paying Spurrier..
=====================================

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:27 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:29 PM |

Nope Spurrier quit he wasn't fired so he received no more money.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Yawn
Question
Is he coming with a young Terrell Davis?

Answer
Is Shanahan coming with a 1997 Elway?

Yawn

Posted by: kedavis | January 14, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

z, STOP with the trade of JC/Cooley or Davis for Boldin. STOP. Galactically stupid on so many levels. So you weaken not ONE, but TWO positions on the team. AWESOME idea....most assinine thing I've seen written in a long, long, time.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yawn
Question
Is he coming with a young Terrell Davis?

Answer
Is Shanahan coming with a 1997 Elway?

Yawn

Posted by: kedavis | January 14, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The one thing Spurrier was always good for was a few hilarious quotes. Oh, and also the slow motion lip flapping scene on Monday night football after a failed play. Great stuff.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | January 14, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

what bean means to say is that this wouldn't be a fair trade for AZ unless we threw in a 1st round pick in 2011...right BTG?

Posted by: mattylight | January 14, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Yawn
Question
Is he coming with a young Terrell Davis?

Answer
Is Shanahan coming with a 1997 Elway?

Yawn

Posted by: kedavis | January 14, 2010 1:32 PM |

Yawn

Question
Are you still whining about the coach?

Answer
Who do you think would have been better Mr. cubicle GM?

Yawn

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"I can see a trade like this happening, with a few more twists. AZ needs the next QB to replace Warner and Leinhart doesn't seem to be it. Shanahan might want to go away from Campbell, though it'd leave a void in 2010.

Posted by: zcezcest1"

huh? this seems like a monumentally dumb idea, and i love Boldin

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

moe, I've gotta tell ya, an inside out oreo, has me intrigued, that would be creme filling on the outsides, and a cookie on the inside....that sounds great to me......with some cold milk....wait..we are talking about cookies right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Nope Spurrier quit he wasn't fired so he received no more money."

This past bowl season, the South Carolina Gamecocks got licked.

USC--east coast remains an SEC also-ran.

Do you think Steve 'Superior' Sprurrier is still the 'ol Ball Coach?

Or is he just a old guy in a visor without balls?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

my bad..you're right..league..
Vinny knew what he was doing. That 2008 draft just keeps on overachieving....

Yes, many other teams passed, who had other needs in that round.. But, that was not the Scenario for the Skins. They bypassed Jackson and Royal selecting two poorly scouted WRs that may not even make a Shanahan team this summer along with the other frauds from the 2008 draft.

===================================

vinny passed on DeSean twice, Eddie Royal once in the same round.
==================================

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 1:23 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Whats all the Reciever talk. We got tight recievers IMO. The up side is too grand. Captn' Chaos is a proven beast.Keep Davis the two of them will be brusing. Malcom Kelly is a physical specimen as well. What's the madness. We're good. Keep talkn' O line and real needs for a realistic some what successful 2010 season.

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HailStorm1 | January 14, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

When we were kids, we would take an oreo apart, so that we could eat the best part first. Now you're going to have twice as much white part, with a little black in the middle. That might be a marketing miracle.

Sorry, Lisa, I hope you don't consider that a racist remark.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Lisa, I hope you don't consider that a racist remark.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:41 PM |

I'll bet Lisa wishes she never posted that stupid comment, she hasn't posted since.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 14, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"That 2008 draft just keeps on overachieving"

here's the deal snagm, um..unless you've got a time machine, there isn't much you can do about something that happened almost 2 years ago..agreed?? You get this, right, I mean, you comprehend this....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

bean

"..an inside out oreo,.."

I really don't pay any attention to that racial junk.

If I did, I'd be some dreadlocked dude in sagging pants without a job who'd blame white people for his problems.

I'm a sports fan, plain and simple.

Aren't we all?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

denial is a river in N. Egypt and I am swimming in it, right now beanie.

The Vinny draft(s) purge is coming this summer.
===================================

"That 2008 draft just keeps on overachieving"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:43 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

moe, weather is on the upswing in your parts, I see....I leave for Disney tomorrow...so for all you people(LS/FRED) who like to claim that my PFT posts are made up, you wont have me to kick around for a week....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Football Outsiders has begun tracking Quarterback hits (as opposed to sacks). It's any time the QB gets hit after he releases the pass. Here are the leaders.

19 QB hits: A.Spencer, DAL; M.Kiwanuka, NYG
17: R.Edwards, MIN
14: ANDRE CARTER, WAS; M.Williams, HOU; A.Kampman, GB (in only nine games!)
13: A.Smith, HOU; D.Tapp, SEA; O.Umenyiora, NYG; W.Smith, NO
12: D.Ware, DAL; T.Cole, PHI; C.Matthews, GB; J.Allen, MIN; S.White, TB
11: K.Vanden Bosch, TEN; R.Mathis, IND; A.Brown, CHI; M.Lawson, SF

Posted by: Samson151 | January 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Campbell a stop gap, cmon man, I certainly never put it like that. He's 'key' because he's the best player on O and if Shanny likes him they won't be wasting #4 on colt mcBradford, who hasn't survived a college season much less a pro one

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

right, snagm, makes sense Davis led the team in receiving, despite playing only 1/2 the games...good call, cut him outright....

write some more its good for laughs....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

guess you don't read your own posts

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Shanny jr is going to throw tantrums until Daddy gets him a new Quarterback for the 2010 season.

=======================================

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 14, 2010 1:48 PM
====================================
Poor Shanny jr is going to miss Matt Schaub.

Schaub, 1st Qtr QB rating (no padded mop up stats)= 105.2

JC 1st Qtr = 69.8

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Aren't we all?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse
You betcha, Moe. I loved the Irish Brigade banter too. Funny stuff.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

oh and snagm, DT showed no upside either, same with Kelly...yeah, you wanna purge the roster of guys like that...young and possibly on the upswing....

who logs you onto the computer each morning??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan signs former Broncos draft pick
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 14, 2010 1:47 PM ET
The Denver-to-Washington pipeline is open for business.

Let it be known: Center/guard Kory Lichtensteiger was the first signing of the Shanahan era. A fourth-round pick by Shanahan in 2008, the lightweight lineman was cut by Denver, then Minnesota last year.

Former Broncos running back coach Bobby Turner became Shanahan's first official coaching hire earlier Thursday.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

write some more its good for laughs....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:52 PM

This guy "skinsneedagm" only lives in the past, starting with his screen name, right through his posts.

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"huh? this seems like a monumentally dumb idea, and i love Boldin"

Posted by: chrislarry

It does sound like Boldin might be getting shopped, and they might take a lil less for him now that their other young guns are starting to produce. I've always loved Boldin too...what would be a good trade for him?

BTW, I know WR isn't necessarily a need, but if you have a chance at Boldin I think you have to look into it.

Posted by: fzone | January 14, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse
We love your PFT reports, BT. Diamond Jim was clueless on PFT, just thought he would like a little background. Some of the best lines this last year were from "PFT".

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Davis no (dont think I said that?).. But Kelly and Thomas.. One of those two will be cut this preseason.
=========================================

write some more its good for laughs....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 14, 2010 1:52 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

One OL down, 3 to go.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"...weather is on the upswing in your parts, I see....I leave for Disney tomorrow..."

Yeah, they're saying it'll be 70-80 all next week after it being in the 40s-50s.

Disney is great when the air is dry and the day cool.

We did the parks thing for my daughter's 7th b-day, and it was nice.

Enjoy yourself.

And don't give the rat all your money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

19 QB hits: A.Spencer, DAL; M.Kiwanuka, NYG
17: R.Edwards, MIN
14: ANDRE CARTER, WAS; M.Williams, HOU; A.Kampman, GB (in only nine games!)
13: A.Smith, HOU; D.Tapp, SEA; O.Umenyiora, NYG; W.Smith, NO
12: D.Ware, DAL; T.Cole, PHI; C.Matthews, GB; J.Allen, MIN; S.White, TB
11: K.Vanden Bosch, TEN; R.Mathis, IND; A.Brown, CHI; M.Lawson, SF

Posted by: Samson151 | January 14, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Samson, is this just hits, which would be in addition to sacks?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Oreos. Especially after Chipotle....

This isn't helping my diet, people.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

JC 1st Qtr = 69.8

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Since you do a good job cherry-picking stats, here's one for you to consider.

Joe Flacco won a playoff game in which his QB rating was 10.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1"

huh? this seems like a monumentally dumb idea, and i love Boldin

Posted by: chrislarry |

How so? If Shanahan has decided Campbell isn't the QB he wants, then its a matter of when he gets rid of him, not if he gets rid of him. So what does he gets in return?

The Cooley/Davis part helps AZ upgrade their pass offense in the absense of Boldin without much downside for our offense. Leinhart is the guy that replaces Campbell because we need a QB. Leinhart would become the placeholder instead of Campbell.

We upgrade at WR by a bunch, downgrade at QB (but we're assuming Shanahan was going to make a change there anyway), downgrade at TE a little bit (since Cooley and Davis wouldn't be on the field together that often). Balance the trade by sending us a pick or 2 (since we're parting with 2 starters) and there is reason for both teams to think it thru.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 14, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

See, the problem here is that you are thinking too black and white. You only see us as pro Campbell and you only see yourself and your dopplegangers as against Campbell. You only see 2 possible situations. Me and pabrian are 2 different people and have 2 different opinions.

Believe it or not there is a middle ground between QB of the future and stopgap QB. That's where I think JC is. pabrian thinks he's the QB of the future. Even if you love JC17 to death he has already been in the league for 5 years and he's 28 years old. It takes a new QB on average 3 years to be any good. So if you get a new QB now AND you have JC then by the time the new QB is ready to take over JC is 31 years old and has 8 years of experience. If you take a new guy next year then JC is 32 and already has 9 years in the league. Let's say that our QB from the draft next year is a bust. Let's say we don't reaplace that bust until 2013. Then by the time he's ready to go JC is the same age as Marc Bulger is right now and Hasselbeck will be next year. He'll be at the end of his career or at the very least on the downside. My position is that you keep JC AND start planning for the future. Depth at QB is a problem and I believe that you should always have a young buck being developed on your roster somewhere. If Colt is never going to be the answer then get rid of him. Keep JC as the starter and get another old vet as a backup. Then draft the next young project QB. Rince repeat until you hit gold. Now what if we sign JC to a 3 year deal and we strike gold on a young QB next year? This is actually a great problem to have. In this event we would trade 1 of them for a pick or a player.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The link to signing the OL formerly of Denver. I meant to mention this earlier when commenting to 4th Floor's posts...

Yes, the Skinz will pick up a couple of FA OL... we should all be reviewing the rosters of the Bronco's and Texan's to see who is available, as Shanny's gonna bring in those with which he or his son is familiar.

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So you sampled one game where he only had 10 attempted passes?
I sampled 16 games from NFL.Com..

Who exactly is cherry picking?
Of the two QBs, who would you want with the game on the line in the last 2 minutes?

Over 16 games
Joe Flacco 1st Qtr = 77.9
4th Qtr last 7 minutes = 77.1

Jason Campbell 1st Qtr = 69.8
4th Qtr last 7 minutes = 61.0
===================================

JC 1st Qtr = 69.8

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Since you do a good job cherry-picking stats, here's one for you to consider.

Joe Flacco won a playoff game in which his QB rating was 10.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 14, 2010 2:03 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Chris Kuper and Ben Hamilton will be free agents and were both starters on an Oline that only allowed 12 sacks all season, which was Shanahan's last. Both of them lost their starting jobs because they didn't fit in Josh Mcdaniels system. Expect Shanahan to go after both of them.

Posted by: ram23 | January 14, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | January 14, 2010 1:12 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember his name but Bosie State had a burner as a WR and return guy. TCU schemed their game plan specifically just to stop him. I was real impressed watching him and thought immediately that he would be a possible late round return guy.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DeSean Jackson would've been inactive on a Zornified team -- he's no ARE on the punt returns, and he plays behind Moss as the #2 short, fast receiver because Zorn loves that he can trust Moss.
And after DeSean tosses the ball down at the one on his first (almost) TD catch, we have the WR with "maturity issues"?

Posted by: daggar | January 14, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Ah nothing like the annual offseason Lombardi trophy champs making ANY move to get the local fans excited. New GM (again), new coach (again), new position coaches, new QB coming. Relax, it's January and get this ... the playoffs are ongoing so who cares about offseason championships and sweepstakes.

Shanahan's RB's all ran behind a great line. Is a great line here? Did the Redskins RB's keep running wild when the Hoggs left? Despite all of the good rushing in Denver, Shanahan won exactly ONE AFC West title after Elway and Davis left. TWO LESS than Norv won in the AFC West with an average QB.

Signed
Rain on parade and reality 101

Posted by: kedavis | January 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The Skins - winning the offseason Super Bowl as usual.

Posted by: dc1020008 | January 14, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I just saw on the news that the back stabber(Grey) is flying out to Seattle to apply for the defensive coodinater job. HIP,HIP HOORAY!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 14, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Shanny and Turner were the 2 coaches who deemed Portis expendable in Denver. Clinton might want to consider renewing acquaintances w/ his real estate agent...

Posted by: randysbailin | January 14, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, about your post on Turner`s first task: I LOVE IT !

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 14, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Good hire. Man knows what he's doing, knows
how to get yards out of most any RB. He also knows Portis & may (we'll see) be able to get some value out of him, because cutting Portis will be a devastating cap blow.

Posted by: agupta1 | January 15, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

All of this "road to the Super Bowl" hype depends upon whether SNYDER has finally learned to keep his hands off his now rusty, bent toy, and on SHANAHAN's willingness to turn over responsibility for the defensive personnel decisions to someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 17, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse