Bradford not opposed to playing for Redskins

Interesting post from Mark Maske on The League: Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford was asked Saturday at the NFL scouting combine about his Native American heritage and whether that would create a dilemma for him if he were to be drafted by the Washington Redskins.

Bradford, who is of Cherokee descent, declined to discuss the subject at length, saying: "I'm not going to address that issue." But when a reporter asked him during his media availability if that
would prompt him to ask the Redskins not to draft him, Bradford said:"No."

Some Native Americans have been critical of the team's nickname, calling it derogatory, and have challenged it in legal proceedings.

Check out the full post here.

By Micah Pollack  |  February 27, 2010; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albright hopes to have deal with Redskins before Friday
Next: If Rams draft Bradford, Redskins should rethink No. 4 pick

Comments

"Bradford not opposed to playing for Redskins", but I'm opposed to him playing for the Redskins.

I hope he's off the board @ 4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Guys, no offense, but Sam Bradford is about one sixteenth Cherokee. Nobody was more surprised to see him adopted as poster boy for the Cherokee nation than his family. They sort of embraced it, but it's not like he's gorwn up in a sweat lodge or anything. This is media hype, nothing more.

I'm guessing that if he checks out at his pro day and the docs pass on him, he goes to St Louis with the first pick.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradford go first, Okung second, and either Suh or McCoy third.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

So... would/should we take Suh or McCoy if one of them was available at 4 (if Okung and Bradford are gone)?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 27, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse
If that were the case, either Suh or McCoy would fall to us, as well as Berry. Might there be some interest from someone for our 4th pick? Or would we be better off getting Griff's long-term replacement?

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:24 PM

I talked about it more thoroughly yesterday, but I see the draft going like this.

1- Bradford
2- Okung
3- Suh/McCoy/Berry...I'm saying Suh
4- We would be staring at McCoy/Berry/Clausen. I'd pick between McCoy and Berry and chose the next Ed Reed (Berry).

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Diesel. if Okung is off the board Berry is the pick. IMO he helps the D more so than going DL and it gets LL to his natural position.

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 27, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

All the more reason we should pick Bradford. He's already a Redskin!!

Posted by: diamond_jim | February 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Is Bradford worth the 4th pick????????

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Berry could be the man.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Move back and grab LT Campbell!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

Dwight Galt is the Strength coach @ UMD. He was there went I matriculated.

He is responsible for making millions for players like Heyward-bey, Foxworth, Josh Wilson, Merriman, Barnes, and now Bruce Campbell.

Here's a local article on him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Check out this article "the Jason Campbell debate"

Posted by: b145579 | February 27, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

If Okung and Bradford are off the board before we pick, the pick is Suh or McCoy, not Berry.

WAY harder to find a dominant NT than a Safety. McCoy/Montgomery at NT, Haynesworth, Daniels, Jarmon, Carter at DE. That's a wicked D line. And you have Orakpo coming up from LB to rush the passer. We can find a safety.

Grab the best OT in the second round and keep building from there.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

If we are switching to a 3-4 that is...

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We don't want Bradford!!!!!!!

With all the hype surrounding this guy, The Rams will pick him.

There will be a new JC in town

His name is Jimmy Clausen

Shanny will do what he did with Cutler

rely on the tape and lay low

Clausen is much like Cutler and Shanny knows it

The best part is that Clausen won't be throwing prior to the draft and there is no way the Rams will pick him #1 on that basis

Clausen will be a franchise QB

and he's ours

we can't pass on this opportunity skins fans

your thoughts

Posted by: byrdinthesky | February 27, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

your thoughts

Posted by: byrdinthesky | February 27, 2010 5:13 PM

Not at #4. I think I'd go DL like edvar if the draft played out that way.

Posted by: TWISI | February 27, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Casserly says Bradford would fit in perfectly with the Redskins offense and I agree. I think Clausen is a typical overrated Notre Dame qb. Cocky and overrated, sounds like Brady Quinn to me. I know we need a line, but Bradford is to good to pass up. Extremely accurate and excellent timing and added 15 pounds. A lot of people on here seem to believe that a tackle with the fourth pick is a guaranteed pro bowler. That is just as big a gamble. Look at big Mike Williams and Robert Gallery. I believe we can build a line and still draft Bradford. I am not opposed to trading next years number one and Campbell for a number one this year. Then we could get Bruce Campbell or Ducasse, and another lineman in the second.

Posted by: Redskins001 | February 27, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

what makes you think Clausen will be any good? You could be right, but I don't see it. I've watched several Notre Dame games this past season and i wasn't impressed. Also, he's shorter, hands are smaller than average, etc. If Bradford and Okung are gone, obviously TRY to trade down. If that doesnt work i think you have to look at best available (McCoy, Suh, or even a LB)

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | February 27, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Grab the best OT in the second round and keep building from there.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:07 PM

McCoy and Suh are both 3 techniques in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4. Terrance Cody could be available in the 2nd or I'd perfer signing UFA Justin Bannon tp platoon with Monty.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

For a franchise that hasn't had a real home grown QB in like:

a gazillion years

I don't care about draft values or what the so called gurus say

Clausen is a steal at #4 and Shanny will pick him

Posted by: byrdinthesky | February 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Move back and grab Campbell!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Clausen is a terrible pick anywhere in the top 10 IMO. He is not rated high enough on too many boards. Many debate if he is even a true first rounder - and the true test of that - his last football season, is over. He wasn't a winner at ND - and if you start making excuse about why, then see Jason Campbell.

I don't think you should chase need exclusively at the expense of value. QB is just one position that can dominate a game and change its course. LT, NT, and Pass Rusher are HIGH value first round picks as well. Between NT and OT, we will be able to get a top 5 value player and fill a need at the same time. Especially if we are switching to a 3-4 D (for reasons I am still unclear about...)

I for one do NOT want Haynesworth playing the role of space-eater. I want to take the leash off him and let him blow up the backfield...

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, if you're committed to offensive line, there are other big tackles who rate about as highly as Okung. Anthony Davis, for example. Or even Bulaga. Trent Williams I'm not so sure about.

But if Bradford is gone, it's hard to imagine the Skins passing on Clausen.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Clausen is not worth a #4, COME ON! maybe#34

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Grab the best OT in the second round and keep building from there.

Posted by: edvar
____________________

Agreed, although I really want to see Orakpo full time at DE.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

edvar, sounds like Skins will be in a hybrid 3/4 - 4/3 so a good NT would be nice to have. I am not convinced that either Suh or McCoy are NTs.

Berry would help to fix the Secondary problems even if we keep Los.

With pick #4, there are only four guys to look at IMO- Okung, Berry, McCoy and Suh in that order.

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Cody scares me the way he showed up fat and out of shape at the Senior Bowl. I'd want to make sure he gets a thorough head check before we bet on him. i like your point about J Bannon though.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byrdinthesky | February 27, 2010 5:13 PM

Franchise qb is one of the most overused terms in the NFL today. In reality very qbs have the ability to change their teams fortunes by themselves. The best qbs in the league are ones who go into the best situations. Look at Steve Young's stats with the Bucs. They thought he was going to be a bust. Not saying that Peyton Manning wouldnt have been great anyway but Harrison and Tarik Glenn were there when he arrived and Edgerrin James came the following year. By contrast Ryan Leaf had Terrelle Fletcher and Jeff Graham as his main weapons. Andre Johnson came too late for David Carr. I could go on but I hope you get the point. To answer your actual inquiry I think Clausen is overrated. He is the beneficiary of a weak qb class. If he went someplace like Dallas or Arizona he may be successful, but since we dont have any perennial pro bowlers and any skill positions I think he would be a wasted draft pick. I do think you are exactly right that he is like Cutler. Cutler to this point has cost his teams 3 first round choices and has no playoff appearances to show for it. He is not a winner he has a big arm and great confidence in it. He is working on becoming the second coming of Jeff George. Long story short I say no to Clausen.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about draft values or what the so called gurus say

Clausen is a steal at #4 and Shanny will pick him

Posted by: byrdinthesky | February 27, 2010 5:24 PM |

He wouldn't be a steal if he's not worth the #4 money. You'd be paying a premium for the right to see if Clausen can become a franchise QB.

Posted by: TWISI | February 27, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Okung
Berry
Suh
McCoy

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Clausen is a bumb!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm not adamant against Berry. We could do a lot worse...

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

San Clemente is nowhere near as crowded as most of Southern CA. I prefer it because I live in Dayton, OH now. I could care less who is from where.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Hit me up during Fball season and I'll give you a bar to go to to see Skins games in the OC

Posted by: ocskins | February 27, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

If Okung is gone we need to try and trade back .Then grab Campbell.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:30 PM

Yeah, not a pretty site. However I wouldn't want to see Wilfork, Hampton, Ngata, or Pickett with their shirts off either. Or any man for that matter, but you get my point. The NT in a 3-4 is crucial and most successful ones are space eaters. The only exception would be Ratliff who is 6'4 300.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

If Okung is gone we need to try and trade back .Then grab Campbell.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:37 PM |

IMO, we need to try and trade back regardless if Okung is there or not. Just not a likely situation w/out a trade partner.

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Clausen is a bumb!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years

bump? numb? bum? bambi?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 27, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL, BUM.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

If you tender Campbell, it makes even more sense to draft a QB...it's a win-win situation. As much as I am a Campbell hater, a young QB can be in the wings.

No way in hell Campbell should go uhnchallenged for the starting QB job!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Curzon - I was thinking the same thing. I would kill to trade back and get some more picks this year - especially in the first 3 rounds.

Deisel- agreed. Nt's are just not pretty to look at.

Any thoughts on why it's so important that we switch to a 3-4 when we really don't have the right D line for it and we are shallow at LB when we only need 3 starters?

It would be a lot easier to focus on O line and DB's this years draft without this distraction.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Mike Williams can play NT?

Hahahahahahahahaha......

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Did yo all see this?

Where does Portis stand with Skins?
February, 27, 2010
FEB 27
2:00
PM ET

By Matt Mosley

After Shanahan left the podium Friday, I asked him about any potential interest in former Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Shanahan didn't say anything definitive, but he indicated that he and Tomlinson are close friends who stay in contact. I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlinson end up on the Redskins' roster.

Posted by: TWISI | February 27, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlinson end up on the Redskins' roster.

Not.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Portis could go either way...

Portis strikes me as a guy that would come back in great shape just to prove eevryone wrong about him. He has a "victim" mentality and likes to rub it in noses of people who doubt him

I would draft and sign some youth and speed to that position. Hate to say it...but Gibbs ruined Portis...Gibbs ran him like Riggins, but he didn't have the Riggins body. We never had a true two-back system and Portis is paying for it now.

SICWIDIT

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Am I opposed to playing for a team that is willing to pay me $10m a year and give me the opportunity to make another $5.0 million in endorsements... Let me think about it... Still thinking.... Well, okay. But maybe I will give $.5m to the Cherokee nation every year...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 27, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

No way Tomlinson is here!

I'd like to take a long look at Sproles though.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If we sign a former SD RB, Sproles is the way to go. Return guy and gives speed out of the backfield we do not have.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | February 27, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

If there is one Redskin that I think needs to be cut this week is Antwaan Randle-El. He adds nothing to this team anymore and is only impeding the growth of Malcom Kelly.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

No way in hell Campbell should go uhnchallenged for the starting QB job!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 5:49 PM

Then you need to bring in a veteran and replace Codd Tollins. No rookie is going to challenge him for the starting job. Even Cutler didn't get to start in Denver until about mid-season, and that was probably too early.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"Next years crop of QBs is stronger and IMO you can get someone better than both Bradford and Clausen w/picks 10-20 next year.
Posted by: Curzon417"

I wish somebody would explain this to me. All i see are Locker and Mallett and they'll be gone by pick 10.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Portis could go either way...

SICWIDIT

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:01 PM
-----------------------------------------
I am thinking that Portis has little left in this system except hype and Shanahan's thinking is, it is time to say good-bye. I don't for a minute believe the hype around LT. I don't think Shanny is the type to grasp at straws. He will draft some unknown RB in the sixth round that will make us all ooooooh and aaaaah throughout the preseason...and then once the regular system starts this guy will rack up significant yardage.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:05 PM

BS. ARE had 50 receptions last year, second on the team to Santana Moss. Malcolm Kelly needs to beat out ARE on the field, not in the offseason.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Its great that Shanny and LT are friends but they should not be looking to bring him here. They should be looking at McKnight, Matthews, or even Stafon Johnson. What good would it do to have two over the hill backs next season. Lets stick with Portis if we must and hopefully draft his replacement this year.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ocskins | February 27, 2010 5:36 PM

You got it. I still have your email address.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

RE: Portis

Portis will be cut. It may not happen March 5 but he will not be on the 53 man roster.

The beauty of an uncapped year is not for the Skins can become the Yanks or Sox in FA. The beauty is that they essentially can take a mulligan and purge the roster of all the terrible contracts. They need to approach this FA period like there is going to be a cap in 2011, and that starts with underperforming and overpaid players like CP & ARE. Portis has a past with organization, not a future.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

League-Source....

What was ARE's punt return average? How many of those 50 receptions were over 7 yards?

Case Closed!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44--How much do CP and ARE cost next year in non-guaranteed money? My own GUESS is that they're pretty cheap.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Case Closed!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:14 PM |

That your case? You got nothing. What was Malcolm Kelly's punt return average? How many of his receptions were over 7 yards?

So you basically don't think that people should have to compete for their jobs?

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, I hope the Rams keep taking linemen high in the draft. If they take Suh/McCoy/Okung they'll be guaranteed the chance to select another lineman with the 1st overall pick in 2011. Pleeeeeeeease let Sammie Bradford slip to Shanahan at #4. Maybe Bruce Allen can work out a Rivers/Manning-type trade with the Rams.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

I do agree with you LS. It shows me how pathertic Kelly is not to be able to win the job over ARE. Devin Thomas is another head-case that better get it together or he'll be out too.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 27, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 6:06 PM

Here is 10 with Locker, Mallett, Gabbert, Ponder, Luck, & Devlin with all most certainly 1st round consideration.

Jake Locker Wash 6-3 226 4.57
Ryan Mallett QB Ark 6-6 238 5.12
Blaine Gabbert Miss 6-5 240 4.67
Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6-4 235 4.85
Christian Ponder FSU 6-3 218 4.64
Jerrod Johnson T A&M 6-5 243 4.67
Case Keenum Houston 6-2 210 4.76
Ricky Stanzi Iowa 6-4 218 4.78
Colin Kaepernick Nevada 6-6 220 4.74
Pat Devlin QB Delaware 6-4 220 4.78

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

So tired of the Jimmy clausen at number 4 bull shirt ( you can figure out the type-o) if the redskins take clausen I will be very disapointed in our new front office couple of thoughts why is there not buzz about KC drafting clausen he played for Charlie wise at norte dame and I know they have cassel but if he was the "sure thing" "francise guy" all I'm saying is no one knows clausen better than Charlie wise and he hasn't said a thing no hint nothing about him not I hope we can draft him I hope he falls to us a build up nothing not even trying to help him be picked high I don't think people like jimmy clausen I think he is arrogant and not respected by people who know him and about this redskin and Sam Bradford wanting or not wanting to play here cause of the name I lost my chance to play college/pro football I don't care what team drafted me I be honared to play for any NFL team Id be happy just to work for an NFL team still think

1 st. Louis trades down and gets mike vick
2 Detroit drafts Russel okung
3 Tampa bay drafts nadamnakong suh
4 Washington drafts Sam Bradford but I have they draft Eric berry or as an eariler blogger said trade down and draft Bruce Campbell dude at the combine today wow he could be a tight end wow ran the 40 at 4.7 and bench 34 reps jumped out the gym insane combine for him

Posted by: Superman321 | February 27, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

League Source...

I'm not saying Malcom Kelly is Jerry Rice, but Zorn does not effectively use personnel...that's one of the reasons why his azz ain't here no more. For him to continue to use ARE to return punts is beyond assanine.

How the hell is Kelly supposed to get better if he keeps getting taken off the field.

...your witness counselor

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

ARE was a non factor with his 50 receptions. Don't see any upside there. Kelly is heading into his third season - typically, that's when WR's break out. I'd happily unload ARE and look for a taller veteran WC style receiver to replace him.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, 1965...

I don't understand these posters who want to cut people and hand their jobs to the same people who couldn't beat them out last year.

I'm willing to believe the second stringers have gotten better. I'm willing to believe that Zorn's staff didn't know what they were doing. But the test of that is for the new coaches to line the players up, let them compete, and choose the best guys.

Make them earn it -- and Kelly hasn't earned anything yet. Until he does, you keep ARE and let him show what he's got. "Gee, Malcolm, you're really good. You caught 25 passes last year when you finally got on the field! You're our starter now! Keep it up!"

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

if the Redskins draft a QB at #4 and one or two lineman in the middle rounds...then I'm cool.

As I have said...I will judge this offseason based on the ENTIRE draft, free agency and cuts/pickups...NOT JUST ON ONE PICK

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

edvar...

We may be pretty set at WR...

Moss can still be a factor and serve as that veteran leader

Thomas is coming on...

Kelly is a huge target...

Marko Mitchell still needs a long look

We've got Davis, Cooley and Yoder

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

taller veteran WC style receiver? could Brandon Marshall fill that role? he'd be a step up from ARE and Kelly.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

League Source...

What upside does ARE bring to this team? He's 5'9" and runs east and west rather than north and south.

It's not that Kelly has outperformed ARE, but ARE does not create matchup problems

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

...your witness counselor

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:32 PM

So, first you say "case closed" and then you admit that you didn't have a case and you open it again and start yakking some more.

ARE's under contract. There are 80 people on the roster. What is the rush to cut a starter? If you really have to cut a receiver, why ARE and not, say, James Robinson or Anthony Armstrong? What did those two do last year? How many of their catches were over 7 yards?

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Marshall would be too expensive...

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's why I think those two defensive linemen are going to drop some. Between now and Draft Day, you're going to start reading about the relatively poor return on investment from defensive linemen drafted in the first six picks.

Since 2000, there have been a number of such selections, producing exactly three legit NFL stars: Richard Seymour, Julius Peppers, and Mario Williams. A couple others have been reliable starters, but there have also been some outright busts.

A fair number have been sidetracked by injuries. It's a risky place to make your living, the D-line. Especially when you play against teams that like to double team and cut block.

The QBs are a huge draft risk, but everybody knows that already. They're psychologically prepared. The o-linemen actually have a pretty good ROI through the years when picked that high.

Best d-tackle prospect I ever saw was a kid named Steve Emtman out of Washington. You can look up what happened to him.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

League Source...

What does ARE bring to this team?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

moss, ARE, kelly, thomas, mitchell - that ain't gonna cut it in the NFC East. team Brandon Marshall with Cooley and let the rest of our 2nd rate wr's compete to be involved in the offense

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:15 PM

It's not so much next year, it's the opportunity to take the cap hit during an uncapped season and get him off the books for when the cap comes back in 2011. Hence, the phrase take a mulligan. I'm not a "hater" as the less informed like to say, I just put the team and winning ahead of any individual player.

From Hogs Haven

•The highest compensated player on the team through 2013, escalating dramatically in 2010 to over 10M a year.

•His release fees start at 13M in 2009 and go down about 2.5M-3M a year as additional guaranteed moneys are prorated out of his contract. Keep in mind this number is just as likely to increase as decrease, because the preferred solution for solving every Redskin salary cap problem is renegotiating formerly unguaranteed money into guaranteed money prorated over the course of the contract, thereby increasing the penalty for early release.

•Cursory examination shows that Portis is just above Chris Samuels and just below Chris Cooley in terms of release penalties over the next 3 years.
•Incredibly, the team is in the unenviable position of taking a 7 digit penalty for cutting Portis at any moment before 2013. I love Clinton Portis, he's one of my favorite players on the team. I am incapable, though, of defending our decision to tie so many funds into his contract necessarily. Fates change rapidly in the NFL and you're better off not marrying yourself to (virtually) any player for that much change. I think this is especially true of running backs, as the position is one of the more fungible ones in the game.

•Because he's set to cost the team an alarming 10+M in 2010, the team can actually save money by cutting him (with a penalty of around 8.5M) which would then give us the largest individual dead cap hit that I can recall seeing in Washington (for a nice comparison, we paid ~ 6M in total dead cap hit last year) though I could be wrong about that.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 6:41 PM

Kelly's "upside" is that he MIGHT be better than ARE. ARE has proven -- at least to the last coaching staff -- that he's better than Kelly. I.e., bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It's not either/or. We can keep both. Decisions about which will be starter and which will be a backup will be made in camp.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Bruce Campbell ran a 4.77 in the forty.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

_______________________________________

Come on... ARE has got to go... NOW!!! Give his money to SPROLES!!!

You don't think Shanny can make players out of Devin Thomas, Kelly, & Marko Mitchell?? If 2 of the 3 come through, you got Moss playing out of the slot, like Welker & other faster smaller guys... that's what you WANT!

ARE got his $$ & he is afraid to get hurt.... get MR FAIRCATCH out of here & get a real difference maker in the return game.... Sproles just fills the voids the 'Skins are missing in the return game & 3rd down RB.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 6:40 PM

And he would cost us more than 1 draft pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 6:44 PM

I remember him like it was yesterday. Dude was a monster and finished in the top 5 of the Heisman. I wonder if his career would have gone in a different direction if he played on grass instead of Indy's astro turf.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

Oh & once you sign Sproles... cut Betts too! there's more free $$.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

If I have to watch Mr. Cocky Jimmy Clausen in DC press for the next 10 years I'll shoot myself in both eyes with hot sauce covered BB's.

Posted by: BIGGSIII | February 27, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

lots of guys played on turf, hell, Reggie White played on concrete in Philly, didn't hurt him

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 6:48 PM |

IF those guys step up and play better than ARE in camp, then yeah cut ARE. But camp isn't until July. You don't cut your second most productive receiver in February in hopes that ALL of those guys will step up.

Hell, their first year Kelly and Thomas were injured most of the year and didn't do squat and last year Kelly was given the starting job and then lost it. Marko? I hope he's good, but the coaches last year didn't want to put him on the field.

You need more than four receivers.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

cop5-

Playing a majority of his games on Astroturf, he finished each of his three seasons with the Colts on the injured reserve list. Nine games into his rookie year, he blew out his left knee.

The following season, he tore the patellar tendon in his right knee, an injury that no previous NFL player had ever returned from.

In October 1994, he beat the odds and made his comeback at home against the team he had grown up following, the Seattle Seahawks. On his first play, he tackled Chris Warren for a 5-yard loss. However, in the second quarter, he ruptured a disc in his neck in a collision with a teammate. Emtman continued to play, even though after the game, he could not close his fists due to nerve damage from the injury. He managed to play three more weeks until continuing pain forced him to undergo season-ending surgery.

He later played for the Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins. His playing career ended following the 1997 season at the age of 27.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

From Doug Farrar at the Combine:
"The 3-4 switch might be the new college-to-pro schism.... [over the past five years] More and more defenses are switching to some variant of the 3-4 defense (again, a very broad concept, but different enough from the 4-3 to merit specific mention), and the new population is finding recruiting more and more difficult....only three of the 120 BCS teams played what could be called dedicated 3-4 defenses in 2009 -- Alabama, West Virginia, and Cal. We're not talking about occasionally using Ndamukong Suh as a 3-4 end or Aaron Curry as a LaMarr Woodley clone once per game. These are the teams that devise their personnel needs around whatever version of the scheme floats their particular boat."

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Like someone mentioned yesterday or the day before, you dont waste money on Sproles, you spend a late draft pick to someone who has qualities like Sproles. There should be backs like Joe McKnight or Trindon Holiday available or even a receiver like Jacoby Ford. I would say McCluster but he will probably be gone by the third round.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BIGGSIII | February 27, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________________

Do you know this guy? Sounds like another ND hater...

Here is some quotes from Clausen today:

“That’s the best way to replicate what it was going to be like as an NFL rookie,” said Clausen, who is expected to be the second quarterback picked, behind Sam Bradford. “Charlie Weis is the reason I went to Notre Dame.”

“I’m a humble kid, love to hang out,” the Notre Dame quarterback said Saturday on the Combine podium. “Watch a lot of film with receivers. Guys stay at the house with my family.
“I realize in the fish bowl at Notre Dame, being the quarterback at Notre Dame, you have to act a certain way. I knew Notre Dame was really big, but until I had to deal with it a little bit … I’m a better person, a better player because of that.”
Clausen said his strengths are “taking care of the football, accuracy, playing under center. Durability, playing while hurt. Bringing my team back to the fourth quarter.”
Clausen said he wants to become more of a “gym rat in the filmroom. In college there are only so many hours. You hear about Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees watching 20 hours a day. This is my profession now. That’s what I want to do.”

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GUY THAT DOESN'T GET IT... geesh!

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

maryland o-linemen = florida wr's
stay far far away from them in the draft
Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 1:28 PM

Yeah- that Percy Harvin was terrible:
60 Receptions
790 Yards
13.2 Average
6 TD's

Those FL Gators are awful...

Posted by: RedskinsNow | February 27, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

______________________________

Steroids??

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________

why guess,when you can get the real thing??

I agree, Redskins should get some young talent going in the running game... but there is only so much you can do with 4/5 picks in the draft when you are considering a franchise QB & OLine... This is why you solve it in FA, then you bought yourself some time (2011 draft?).

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Asking Bradford if he'd have issue playing for the Redskins is about as lame as asking a white dude if he has a problem playing for the White Sox...the only thing dumber than the debate over whether the Redskins name is offensive is the constant need to keep bringing it up.

To more pressing matters...

Okung had an awesome workout today; Shanny is a certified lunatic if he doesn't take this guy with the #4 pick. Okung is a Week 1 starter on this O-line that desperately needs the help and rolling the dice on a QB in this draft is an unnecessary gamble at best. Hopefully the Rams take the ball out of our court and take Bradford with the first pick.

Bruce Campbell has great measureables but it sounds like he's a bit of a project player...wouldn't be upset if we got him in Round 2, provided the more polished OL prospects are off the board at #37.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I hate to agree with this guy but I think his opinion may be correct... this time.

Posted by: RedskinsNow | February 27, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 7:27 PM

The Raiders are getting those #74 jerseys ready. They will take him @ #8.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinsNow | February 27, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

______________________________________

Yeah, never know what could happen, don't want to let a serviceable/sorry player go before you know if you have a less sorry/serviceable player... haha

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

why guess,when you can get the real thing??

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:20 PM

Because when you "guess", you do so on the cheap for 3-5 years. If you "get the real thing", you do so for 5-7 years (usually) for at least twice the money.

We have a coach who has a long reputation for taking late round picks and undrafted kids at RB and turning them into serviceable starters. I'm not sure why we'd have to blow major cash on a Sproles when for the price of a cup of coffee, we could get the same level of production from a guy none of us have heard of.

I just don't get why some fans feel like the Redskins can't do what every other team in the league does: draft and cultivate their own talent. Just because you never heard of the guy we pick in Round 5 or 6, doesn't mean he can't play. And just because the known commodity FA balled out in another uniform doesn't mean you'll see him continue to do it in burgundy and gold.

I mean, that's pretty much the moral of the sad, cautionary tale that was the 2000s Redskins, isn't it?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

More Clausen:

Some people say I'm cocky, I'm arrogant, that I'm not a good leader or a teammate," he said. "The people that are out there saying that don't know me as a person."

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Diesel. No chance Al Davis can resist an O-lineman who runs a 4.7 forty...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

50%off ca,ed hardy t-shirt$15 jeans,coach handbag$33,air max90,dunk,polo t-shirt$13,,lacoste t-shirt $13 air jordan for

sale,$35,nfl nba jersy for sale

free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

lower price fast shippment with higher quality
BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!

SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!

FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!

Packing: All the products are packed with original boxes and tags also retro cards/ code
numder

Features: AAA QUALITY, COMPETITIVE PRICE AND SERVICE
1) The goods are shipping by air express, such as EMS,the shipping time is in 5-7 business days
2) They are in stock now;
3) Various styles and color for clients' choice
4) The Products are fit for most people, because of our wholesale price

ugg45$ puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!

new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps

true religion jeans$35,ca,ed hardy jeans$35,nfl jerseys$20

LV,CHANAL,HANDBAGS$35

NIKE SHOX+AIR MAX+TL3+OZ+NZ ONLY $35

UGG TIMBLAND+LACOSTE SHOES+ED HARDY SHOES$35

DIESEL T-SHIRT,GSTAR T-SHIRT,CA T-SHIRT,50% OFF FOR SALE $15

DIOR SUNGLASS,DG SUNGLASS$15

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

Posted by: nikejordans1 | February 27, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I just read on MSN that only two teams interviewed Claussen today. The Bills and the Redskins. I did not see anything about Okung getting interviewed. I hope this is just a smoke screen by Allen/Shanny. If we can't get Okung then I hope we can trade down and add a second or third. We need offensive lineman, all we can get.

Posted by: fjd124 | February 27, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, can't think of a more blatant example to click "report abuse"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

fjd, the combine lasts a few days...I'm pretty sure they'll talk to Okung eventually if they didn't today. Plus the O-lineman were all working out today, the players probably don't workout AND interview in the same day.

And the "report abuse" remark was about the nikejordans crap, not your post.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Do you know this guy? Sounds like another ND hater...

Here is some quotes from Clausen today:

Clausen said he wants to become more of a “gym rat in the filmroom. In college there are only so many hours. You hear about TomBrady,Peyton Manning, Drew Brees watching 20 hours a day. This is my profession now. That’s what I want to do.”

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GUY THAT DOESN'T GET IT... geesh!

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Durability, playing while hurt." Jimmy "pickle" clausen

that's a key statement playing while hurt well show it now clausen he's sounds like he has all the right things to say but what is he really doing not throwing at the combine because he knows the best he's got is on film not a bad move if your hiding something and there's buzz about you (clausen) already clausen is not the right pick Im not sure who is but I know it's not the pickle and notre dame is the team I follow in college football

Posted by: Superman321 | February 27, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Move back and grab LT Campbell!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

If you wanted to do that you couldn't trade back past 7. Campbell basically guaranteed today that he will fall no further then Oakland at 8. Just realized though, Maryland has a lot of physical freaks coming out of its football program and with possibly 4 top 15 picks in the last few years you wonder how they haven't won more games.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 27, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Combine
Is this the best offensive line group ever?
Posted: February 27th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: 2010 NFL Scouting Combine, Cole Pemberton, Gil Brandt, Ted Larsen

The offensive linemen have looked impressive so far at the NFL Scouting Combine. (Ben Liebenberg / NFL.com)
INDIANAPOLIS — The second group of offensive linemen to work out Saturday might be the most physically impressive of all time. For the first time in memory, all 26 linemen worked out, and they were sensational.

Only one player checked in at less than 6-foot-3 or had less than 32-inch arms (N.C. State’s Ted Larsen), and not a single lineman weighed less than 300 pounds.

The group also posted some of the fastest 40-yard dash times ever and showcased exceptional strength. Colorado State’s Cole Pemberton was the only guy to put up fewer than 19 bench-press repetitions.

If you can’t find an offensive lineman in this draft, you might never do it.

– Gil Brandt

Posted by: ga8085 | February 27, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Superman321 | February 27, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse
____________________________________

He is having his PRO DAY on April 9th at Notre Dame... He will be using the WR's he is used to... Tate, Floyd, etc... That is common agent policy... Name the last big QB prospect that through at the combine??

It's dumb... You get 3 throws to some WR's you've never seen & then you go to the back of the line to wait for 3 more throws... How are you supposed to judge a guy like that?

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

threw... damn, I must be tired... don't want the grammar police to get me.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

please get us some updated uniforms danny boy.you ask every player in the league whos duds are crapiest and the skins are on top. players dont win if they are not confident. it wont matter if we bring in the greatest players in th world. check your facts,many teams that updated/changed their threads had success following it

Posted by: ashn420 | February 27, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fjd124 | February 27, 2010 8:18 P

I hope it was a real interview. The 'Skins probably interviewed 40 guys today, maybe more. What's wrong with interviewing Clausen. If he's there in the second, if the 'Skins trade down, ....

You want to know about these guys and one way to find out is to meet them face to face. What do you want, another Vinny who drafted Fred Davis with a second round pick without ever having met the guy?

I'm all in favor of a coach and GM who are prepared for the draft.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | February 27, 2010 8:26 PM

The good news is that there should be enough OLmen talent wise that the skins can pluck some value out of that position in the middle rounds even if they wasted (I meant used) a pick @ #4 on a QB.

Posted by: TWISI | February 27, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

And the "report abuse" remark was about the nikejordans crap, not your post.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2010 8:23 PM

Hey, brownwood, times are tough and those are some real bargains! I just bought you a new pair of Dior sunglasses for $15!

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE OUR UNIFORMS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ashn420 | February 27, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Bradford not opposed to playing for Redskins--RI

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frickin' relieved.

Posted by: TheCork | February 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE OUR UNIFORMS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ashn420 | February 27, 2010 8:43 PM

I co-sign. If we had updated unis last year, we would have gone 5-11. It's those little things that can make a big difference.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Bradford not opposed to playing for Redskins--RI

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frickin' relieved.

Posted by: TheCork | February 27, 2010 8:47 PM

What he didn't say is that it would cost the 'Skins an extra $2 million per year conscience money.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Just a few comments on this mini-ARE debate. First, as a punt returner, his one and only positive is that he holds onto the ball. As a receiver, when Brandon Lloyd fizzled, they tried to make ARE a #2 receiver, which he isn't. He is a slot receiver, and when asked to do that, he does well. From the slot he does a great job finding openings that often move the chains, and he has pretty good hands. MK is NOT a slot receiver, and Moss can still get deep so sitting him in the slot would be a waste...

Posted by: kenboy1 | February 27, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins001

Could you be more specific? Theismann? Montana? Hornung?

I agree, go with the safe bet, an undersized Oklahoma QB with a medical history.

Posted by: TheCork | February 27, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

RUSSELL OKUNG AND ANTHONY DAVIS!!

Posted by: mastdark81 | February 27, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

AS MUCH AS THE MEDIA TRY TO BRAINWASH THE REDSKINS FAITHFUL THAT WE NEED A QUARTERBACK IT WON'T WORK....CAMPBELL IS THE MAN AND WE WILL DRAFT AN OLINEMEN!!!

Posted by: mastdark81 | February 27, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE OUR UNIFORMS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please dont. All the new uniforms suck, with the exception of the 49ers whose new uniforms are pretty much their old ones. Think of all the new uniforms over the past few years:

Jags-Horrible
Bills-Horrible
Vikings-horrible
Lions-Ok
Cardinals-Ok
Chargers-Ok

There is a reason they have not changed in 20+ years. I used to want new uniforms but after seeing how they did the Eagles and Falcons when they updated, im glad the skins did not.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE OUR UNIFORMS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ashn420 | February 27, 2010 8:43 PM

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________

Yeah, how about a helmet with a skull on a spear... you know... like in the old days, they would have rows of dead heads on a line of spears... just thinking of ways to make the Indians more mad than they already are.

COME ON UMD!!! 78 - 77... lil over a min left!! Make the Duke game count on Wed!!

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

From NFL.com:

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford ... expressed confidence that his shoulder, which he said is now “close to 85 percent” eventually will be “stronger than ever.”
-----------------------------------------------

Stronger than ever? Right. Every aspiring NFL QB will have the surgery if that happens. Scouts won't even look twice at a prospect until Dr. Andrews says "Yep, I fixed the boy's arm. He can throw it an extra 20 yards now."

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Mayock still rates Berry as the second best safety in the draft. #1 is Earl Thomas of Texas, a FS. The rap against Thomas is he's undersized. 5-10, 174. Maybe the Skins get him in the second round.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 27, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Could you be more specific? Theismann? Montana? Hornung?

Posted by: TheCork | February 27, 2010 8:52 PM

I think he was referring to Powlus,Mirer, Quinn and wasnt Hornung a back?

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Damn... UMD look like the Wizards, let guy go coast to coast in 4 secs... Overtime now.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

wasnt Hornung a back?

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 9:04 PM

Hornung did everything (though not at the same time): QB, RB, and placekicker. Only player who comes close to that versatility today is Hunter Smith.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:08 PM

Yeah your right,but it looks like Vasquez is not going to let them lose tonight.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 27, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse
____________________________

Hornung or Blanda or both??

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Hornung or Blanda or both??

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________

Actually... Wiki shows Hornung played QB, RB, & kicker... Blanda played QB, kicker, & linebacker.

I'm only 37, would be cool if players still played offense & defense... easier to fill the 53 man roster.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Based on what I've seen up to this point, Shanahan is too smart to draft either Bradford or Clausen with that #4 pick. He seems more like Gibbs.

Way too many bloggers listening to Vinny Cerrato (Mel Kiper). They can afford to wait.

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

My guess is given the value of #4 they will use to trade down to get additional picks, particularly one in the third. They need picks, not quarterbacks.

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse
________________________________

It's a tricky spot at #4... Rams go QB... we get a top guy to fall to us that we don't need Suh/McCoy/Berry (players that teams may want to trade for)... that happens then you see what you can get... It's just hard to get teams to move up & pay that type of compensation.

I just don't see how you can say that Shanny is too smart & like Gibbs... Gibbs traded up to get Campbell... Shanny obviously overreached for Cutler, cause he sure doesn't look like the guy that played for him.

I cannot see the Redskins not taking a QB in this draft, either at 4 or with extra picks... definitely someone by the 2nd round if they get some more picks. My only thing, if this is your strategy & you wait & you don't get your guy... there is no do over & your not taking another QB just to take one.

I just think there is a large market for Starting QB's & QB projects due to some aging/retiring QB's in the league.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree about the number of those and the process but here's my deal if you play qb in the pros you should beable to throw 3 throws at the combine to the top wrs going into the draft golden Tate is good but dez Bryant is better and your gonna say it's timing with a player but like you noted it's only 3 throws reguardless If the redskins are going qb I think it's Bradford about the uniforms thing I saw a website that had a bunch of new uni's and I'd like the old uni's with the arrows on the helment but not the dull mustard lookin yellow spruce up the yellow some and go burgandy on burgandy(HOME) and white on white(AWAY) I know they say burgandy on burgandy is cursed but the curse will be broken sooner or later (no pun intended) *sooner*

Posted by: Superman321 | February 27, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Mock Draft Analysis 259 mock drafts

#1 - Suh 44%, Clausen 42%, Bradford 12%
#2 - Suh 48%, G.McCoy 39%, Okung 10%, Berry 1%
#3 - G.McCoy 46%, Berry 35%, Suh 7%, Okung 3%, Morgan 3%, JPP 1%
#4 - Bradford 40%, Okung, 28%, Clausen 23%, G.McCoy 3%, Davis 2%, Berry 2%
#5 - Okung 43%, Berry 21%, Davis 10%, McClain 8%, Campbell 4%, Bradford 3%

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

From the front page of WaPo.com:

"44: Rogers out, Smoot in as White House social secretary"

Damn, our secondary is a lot more versatile than I thought.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 27, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

The skins should draft Suh, McCoy or the best available tackle. Bradford will only get beat up behind our current line. Berry is overated and Ed Reed would be as dominant playing behind our d-line.

Posted by: fj8152001 | February 27, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Bruce Campbell has definitely been interviewed by some team(s). Rich Eisen (NFL Network) asked Campbell who he has interviewed with and he told Rich he was keeping that to himself. So Okung has probably been interviewed as well.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 27, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I like the 70th anniversary season uniforms

Burgundy jerseys, gold pants, spear helmet

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 27, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Paul Revere and the Raiders...relevant again at last.

S8mackI

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 27, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

From PFT, might be another workout warrior who doesn't pan out.

Some still have Bruce Campbell low on the board
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2010 3:37 PM ET
Despite the eye-popping 4.78-second 40-yard dash generated by non-donut-eating Bruce Campbell in the donut run and his 34 reps in the 225-pound bench press, Campbell isn't a lock to be taken in the top ten.

He's not even a lock to be taken in round one.

One league source tells us that multiple teams have applied a round-four grade on Campbell, based on evaluation of his college game film. Another league source described Campbell's game film as "terrible."

The dynamic immediately brings to mind Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston. The Jets fell in love with his physique and his non-football feats, and they ignored a set of 2007 game tapes in which he disappeared for long stretches. The thinking by many -- that a player destined to be great in the NFL is always great in the college game -- has been confirmed by Gholston's NFL career to date.

Posted by: lifelongfan | February 27, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 27, 2010 6:25 PM |

I know I know, late to the party but wasn't last year really Kelly's "rookie" season? I mean, he was IR'd the previous season which means he can't even attend practices.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

"I like the 70th anniversary season uniforms Burgundy jerseys, gold pants, spear helmet"

I'll second that. Best uniforms ever.

Posted by: lordtwang | February 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

GBN:
Okung reportedly had dinner earlier in the week with the top brass from Detroit which olds the #2 pick overall this year.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 27, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinsNow | February 27, 2010 7:29 PM
------------------------------------------
I disagree. I don't think the coaches need to see any more of ARE. They know what they have in him and they expect more out of their receivers. It's not about ARE and how he measures up to the other receivers - it's about how he measures up to expectations. The young receivers will have to prove themselves, too, and they are going to be held to the same standard. If they don't measure up, then the team will be getting some different guys.

Remember, ARE was brought in to be a punt returner first and receiver second. He has not lived up to anyone's expectation as a punt returner. He has been a stop gap at receiver. Time to move on.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 28, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo rumors:
There is apparently a lot of talk at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis about the Washington Redskins sending quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for safety Donte Whitner(notes) and a draft pick, according to National Football Post.

The Redskins are supposedly thinking of drafting Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen or Oklahoma's Sam Bradford if he hasn't been snapped up earlier.

Of course, the Redskins could want to keep Campbell around for just one more season while whomever they draft gets some seasoning.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 28, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

SN Rams correspondent Jim Thomas, writing for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Rams have narrowed their field for the first pick in the draft to Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford and Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 28, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo rumors:

Posted by: skinfanman |

This is old (and inaccurate) news - rumor apparently started on a Bills blog and was shot down several days ago.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 28, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Update: The Chargers will not tender Sproles (for the required $7.27 million) and will allow him to test free agency, the San Diego Union Tribune reports.

Recommendation: That said, the Chargers would like to get Sproles back with a long-term deal at a more reasonable rate and his agent, Gary Wichard, said his client is open to that. Still, once Sproles hits the open market, if there is a team that views him as a No. 1 back, he may receive an offer he can’t refuse. Either way, with LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) on the way out, the Chargers need to address their running back situation in the weeks/months ahead.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 28, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 28, 2010 12:19 AM

Right. It's just weird that it's still got legs at the combine.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 28, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 6:26 PM

Go Lobos!

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 28, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else catch this?

This is bizarre - Rogers is out, replaced by Smoot, says Gibbs! LOL!

Posted by: charley42 | February 28, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

"Thanks for responding. Had some of the gang over to watch the UNM vs BYU BB game and was not around to respond.Go Lobos! Posted by: Curzon417"

Just imagine the fights at the Frontier Restaurant around midnight last night...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 28, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

This is bizarre - Rogers is out, replaced by Smoot, says Gibbs! LOL!

Posted by: charley42 | February 28, 2010 5:17 AM

Nice, charley -- way to connect the dots.

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

In other news.. Jimmy Clausen announced that he is half "retarded", and not opposed to playing for the Redskins. More to come on this developing story.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 28, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Copied from a blogger on another site,

****You guys are so full of it with these bs excuses for Campbell. First it was Gibbs and the coaching staff holding him back; then it was Saunders' 7,000,000 -page playbook; then it was the WRs were too small; then it was the running game not up to snuff; and now it's the Olinemen. Nevermind that when Campbell had a top running game and a defense he was 5-7 and riding a 4-game losing streak and had not he gotten hurt and Collins come in, the Redskins season would have been lost.

IT'S NOT THE OLINE. Campbell has a slow, wind-up release. He lacks pocket presence. He processes things slowly---you can literally see the mouse in the wheel turning in his head.****

This makes me remember all the excuses for JC. Kind of like ARE being on the team because of the lack of the young WR's beating him out. We have a team of average players and precious little youth to push the average veterans. This includes of course J Campbell.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 28, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Don't be surprized to hear that the Washington redskins trade up with the rams and draft Sam Bradford number 1 overall because Bradford and shanahan's system are perfect for each other or hopefully rams trade down with someone else and Bradford is ours at 4 and then can sit for a year be coached by shanahan and have a free agent and later round draft built o-line in 2011 and I don't believe our o-line is really that bad they got hurt so much don't get me wrong the o-line def needs attention just not as much as people think like the people that say make every pick a linemen in the 2010 draft I used to be against drafting a qb 4th overall but after hearing Bradford speak at the combine and seeing what he measured at 6'4 236 lbs he's beefed up dudes gonna be a baller

Posted by: Superman321 | February 28, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

How about this trade:

Skins give up their first round pick and get some other team's second and third rounds this year and first and third next year? Has to be a team drafting in the top ten or twelve.

This gives us more picks in this year's deep draft and it positions us, with two first round picks, to move up and grab one of next year's elite QB's.

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many of those sacks that Campbell took this season were actually from him holding the ball too long????

Posted by: rickyroge | February 28, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 28, 2010 9:11 AM |

I would bet the majority of them were due to jailbreaks. He does hold the ball too long though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Who is this superman guy and why doesn't he understand the use of punctuation? Bad grammar and spelling is fine but unpunctuated posts are difficult to read. Of course, his posts aren't really worth reading so I guess it's okay.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

just thinking of ways to make the Indians more mad than they already are.

Posted by: tony325 | February 27, 2010 8:58 PM

One way is by calling them "Indians" instead of Native Americans. That'll usually work. Next, you'll be calling black folks "negroes" again...

I still can't believe the amount of debate over ARE on here...I mean, if you have a 4th string WR making the kinda salary he is and is as worthless on special teams as he is, you'd think it's a no-brainer that you cut the guy while there's no cap hit. Roll with Moss, DT, Kelly, and Marko. You can get a mid-level or even low-end FA to fill the 5th spot...I'd get Kasim Osgood; great special teamer who is looking to get more snaps at WR. You'll get comparable production and a fraction of the price of ARE.

So easy a caveman can do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 28, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

So easy a caveman can do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 28, 2010 9:23 AM

And so stupid that only a caveman would do it.

Dude was our second most productive receiver last year. How much will he earn this year? He's in the last year of his contract. If the guys who couldn't beat him out last year can step up and do it this year (and stay healthy), then cut him. Until then you keep him.

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Bad grammar and spelling is fine

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:17 AM

You know, when I went to Georgia Tech they taught us that "bad grammar and spelling ARE fine." And, like you, I've always assumed that they was rigth.

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

League-Source:

What's ARE's average yards per catch in 2009?

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

ARE is the poster child for what ails the Redskins. Overpaid from the get go, and a huge salary drain now and in the future. An uncapped year is manna from heaven meant to cure the famine that ARE personifies.

7 yards a catch eh? Easily explained by his catching a lot of balls on 3rd and 8. Do I need to include PR "abilities" in this critique? DUMP HIS LAME AZZ NOW. Don't WASTE another second of organizational time or mental resources on him. Thankfully, McCardell was NOT brought in to work with the likes of ARE. Zorn and his puzzy posse coached to not lose, and ARE plays not to lose. To quote Chicago's second best LB of all time, "I want Winners". ARE ain't one of 'em.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 28, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

I want ARE out too, trouble is, not one of the young WR's has won out over him. To be exceedingly fair, perhaps it was the coaching regime not inclined to go with the young WR's, but from what I've seen from them, (aside from Davis) they aren't setting the world on fire. Veterans lose to guys that outplay them. A possibility that I like as far as trades go, is to trade Cooley. yes, Cooley. Davis is faster catches as well and blocks as poorly. Time for a purging.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 28, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

BTW,

How gracious of Bradford to not be opposed to playing for the Redskins. He should kiss their azz'es if they draft him. The chance to play a childs game for millions is rare indeed.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 9:42 AM |

Some of you isn't so slow on the uptake.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

1965, your last posts are revealing your general stupidity. Cutting deadwood... like ARE...is not the same as a general purge, which would be asinine.

"perhaps it was the coaching" Uhhhh, ya think? The same "coach" who had conversations with himself in the press and then allowed ARE to punk him in his office and demand he get to PR?

Bradford did not bring up the NA connection... and tried to not even answer. Forced to answer "would you have a problem..." Bradford simply said "no".

Is the moron reporter who asked the questions a) your brother? or b) simply a cousin?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 28, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 9:40 AM

LS, I'm usually in step with that line of thinking (i.e.-- my argument for keeping guys like Betts and Cartwright), but in the case of ARE he's on the books for $5 million. I don't care what year of his contract he's in, if you have a guy who is no better than 3rd on your depth chart making $5 mil, that's a waste. Especially when you have young guys on the roster who are more than capable (or at least were drafted to be) of filling his spot. I could see if he were a big-time return man, but he's the exact opposite of that.

A depth chart of Moss, DT, Kelly, Marko, and some player to be named later is more than sufficient, at least for 2010.

I've said it a million times on here...this uncapped season is the Redskins' once in a lifetime "get out of jail free" card. All those big salaries they handed out to guys who didn't live up to their dollar amount can be gone, no strings attached. That's what 2010 is about. Whether we miss ARE on the depth chart or not (and I think we won't), we have to purge this roster of the big money, low impact players NOW. This opportunity may not come again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 28, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Superman321

Surely you jest...or maybe your "Super Powers" are failing you.

To draft Bradford at #4 would be idiotic...to trade up to draft him at #1 would be INSANE.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

scampbell1975 who are you?! And better yet who are you to judge any person on this blog?

I'm guessing your sitting at a desk somewhere reading football for dummies and correcting all the non correctly punctuated posts in red ink it's about football man! not English class if my post aren't up to your standards but I don't care what you think or say about my posts or any bodys post for that matter your opinion has no value PUNK!!! Is that correct puncuation?

Posted by: Superman321 | February 28, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

This whole Native American vs. the Redskins name issue is bunk.

I used to live in New Mexico and I've never seen more Native Americans wearing Redskins jerseys as I did over there.

Seems to me that the issue is over White / Caucasian guilt over the abuse of Native peoples over the centuries.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | February 28, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse