Banks, Alexander put the "special" in special teams

Seeking to set the tone early against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, the Redskins hoped to start fast on special teams.

They achieved their goal during the first few minutes of the opening quarter in a 17-12 victory at Lincoln Financial Field.

Rookie wide receiver Brandon Banks returned his first career punt 53 yards to help set up Washington's first touchdown. And special teams standout Lorenzo Alexander, who made his first career start at outside linebacker, continued to fuel the early excitement.

Alexander, who earned the team's top special teams award for the 2009 season, delivered a crushing blow against Eagles kickoff returner Jorrick Calvin. Calvin would leave the game with a shoulder injury.

"Brandon's return was really big because that just got everything going," Alexander said. "And on the kickoff, you know, we just wanted to make it clear that we came to be physical."

Mission accomplished on special teams, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"Banks's first punt return got us some great field position. That's what you're looking for," said coach Mike Shanahan. "That's why you bring a guy up that has speed and has a
chance to make a play. I thought Banks did a great job."

"Lorenzo seems to do this each week regardless of the other teamm" he said of Alexander. "That was one of the best hits I've been around since I've been in the NFL. That was an explosion on the sidelines. So that was very, very special."

By Jason Reid  | October 5, 2010; 10:26 AM ET
Categories:  Brandon Banks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth's play earns Mike Shanahan's praise
Next: Clinton Portis says he's unlikely to play Sunday

Comments

But what about Devin Thomas? Doesn't he put the special in special teams? In anything?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

This will defnitely be remembered as the 'Doggy Bag Game'

Can I get a Woof Woof?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Re: Roddy White, his story is a nice one, but there are a lot of highly-touted WRs that never make it (see, e.g., Westbrook, Michael; Rogers, Charles). In DT's 2+ years with the team, I'm thinking that someone has to have told him what he has to do to succeed in the NFL, yet in his third year, when WRs traditionally blossom, he still can't get onto the field. Two coaching staffs have now found him to be deficient, and I think that it is highly unlikely that he will realize whatever potential he has here in Washington.

Re: Galloway, that "aging, worthless" receiver has managed to get behind the secondary on more than one occasion this year. Having him start is far from ideal, but I think that Armstrong will be starting in his place before too much longer.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | October 5, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:33 AM
----------------------------------------
DT puts the "special" in the short school bus.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas puts the "bench" in bench warmer.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 5, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher on EITM

Interesting notes, game plan changed immensely when Vick went out.

They were trying to hit them in the mouth and intimidate.

Good stuff, take a listen

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Banks is really, really fast and the dude is really, really small. He looks like a little kid out there. I like his speed but the guy is taking his life into his hands every time he steps onto the football field.

Lorenzo Alexander is the real deal. I liked his play on special teams and at linebacker. How do we get more players like this guy?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo is a beast.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis on 106.7. No word on MRI yet, dosn't know anything, but is guessing team will probably want to keep him out for Sunday.

Said "I didn't know the groin is up this high" and a comment that he is out of commission for the ladies, this was egged on by Wise whose sole mission in life seems to be to get CP in trouble.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"You wouldn't want to get a healthy Portis to at least block on 3rd down? You're nuts"

What's nutty is depending on a 7 million dolla a year running back to block.

Mike Sellars can pass block.

Double tight end sets are what i being used to assist our tackles.

We expected a healthy Portis in place to get yards inthe run game.

Yes: he is a quality blocker.

But with the running game down so far, we need him healthy.

And that doesn't seem to be the case for the second year in a row.

Look: I'd love for Clinton Portis to be in place for a 1300-1500 rush year.

But if he's 'dinged'--again--it's time to move on from what he delivers as a player.

It happens all the time in the NFL.

And eventually, it'll happen here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 5, 2010 10:41 AM

Get Portis in trouble? So easy that even Wise can do it.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

RSH;

LoAx is the man. I want to get his jersey that says instead of his name FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Cause thats what he is. In that Fletch interview, he says LoAx sets the tone. No starting on D, it should lift them.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see DT take one to the house on a KR.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

should say :"NOW starting on D"

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I heard rumor last night that Portis might be out for the year, he heard his groin pop. Any news on that this morning?

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My groin popped last night and my wife said "you're out for the year."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 8:58 AM
------------------------------------------
I recommend she sign a free agent to get her through this season and then she should start looking for a low round draft pick next year to replace you long term.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 5, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Portis sounding like he won't be playing this weekend...or just setting expectations low....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Increased dependency on Sellers might be one of the worst effects if CP cannot play.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I popped my groin... now I'm a dad!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2010 10:47 AM

By the end of the week, Shanahan's injury report will convince the Packers that no one is playing this weekend -- fly into Washington for a walk-over.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The man who gave Maurice Clarett a chance can't give one to Devin Thomas.

I'm trying to figure that out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 5, 2010 10:18 AM

I think Clarrett had more skill than Thomas and Shanny wanted to see if he could change his off the field actions and attitude. With Thomas, it was just his on the field problems, that's why he's shopping him now. Either way, they BOTH did get a chance, and both ended the same, "Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out now!!!"

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Samuels was injury prone.... We regard him as a Saint, don't we?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM

Hope you're kidding with that...dude played all 16 games 6 of his 10 years in the league and his last year was the one time played less than 12. Not exactly the stuff Tony Boselli was made of...

Glad that Banks showed his stuff...dude has a knack for punt returns and that long return essentially handed us the first TD of the game. Here's hoping he breaks some more like that one and silences all the folks worried about his fumbling "problem"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'll have my agent call to set up a TRY-OUT and PHYSICAL!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 5, 2010 10:46 AM

This is the guy who thinks Art Monk's number is 811? DT can't get playing time because of "short bus issues." Not sure you represent an upgrade.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Can I get a Woof Woof?

Posted by: 4thFloor

Which are you? The Baha Men or a fake azz DMX?

"Protected by viper stand back"

"Da-dunt-da-dunt-da-dunt-da-dunt.... my wife, my kids..."

I don't know any whack lyrics by the Baha Men... 'cept for that whole whack "Who Let The Dogs Out" and I don't know any of that song.

F Mike Wise.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm one more Wang Chung joke on ESPN from going Discovery Channel up in here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 5, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, didn't he spend his first 2 years mostly on the injured list? Mebbe I'm remembering that wrong. He certainly was injured these last two - Would Portis be beat 2 SJK now if our O line was better for the last 3 or 4? dunno.

It's football - people get hurt. They come back. Jason Taylor lookin' good in Jersey, eh?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"My Mama says I'm special."

-- Forrest Gump

Posted by: Vic1 | October 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The Skins would be total FOOLS if they nickel and dimed Alexander on his next contaract negotiation and lost him like they lost Orlando Pierce and Ryan Clark.

Posted by: pd2710 | October 7, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse