Banks and Williams go from bubble to roster

Two of the relative surprises when the final 53-man roster was announced late Saturday were wide receivers Roydell Williams and Brandon Banks.

Both players were on the bubble as the Redskins debated whether to keep five or six receivers. For both receivers, making the roster was the final step of long uphill battles each had to overcome.

"They gave me a shot here, a shot to really show what I can do, and I think I showed enough," said Williams. "But there's more that I can do. Just got to keep working."

Williams missed the past two seasons with injuries, including a broken bone in his hand that ended his hopes of making the Redskins roster last year. Williams, selected in the fourth round of the 2005 draft by Tennessee, had his best year in 2007 when he started 14 games and caught 55 passes for 719 yards and four touchdowns. His season was ended by an injured right ankle in practice, and he was released the following preseason when he could not get healthy.

The Redskins signed Williams last season, but he suffered a finger injury and was released. This year, Williams hoped to stay healthy enough to have a shot.

"I never doubted my ability to play football," Williams said. "It was just a matter of staying healthy."

At 5-feet-7 and 150 pounds, Banks was considered by some to be too small to make it to the NFL. Banks said he heard the doubters his whole life. This preseason, however, he showed up big, doing enough to impress Redskins coaches.

Banks returned a punt 77 yards for a touchdown in the preseason opener and flashed some big-play ability. Despite three fumbles, including one lost, the Redskins felt Banks's talent was worth keeping around.

It was a moment Banks cherished, he said, because it proved the doubters wrong.

"Just all the things I've been through and coming from the bottom to the top, all the struggles and all the people that told me I couldn't make it," Banks said. "I had a point to prove and I think I did."

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 7, 2010; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  Brandon Banks , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Insider Live: LaVar Arrington, Rick Maese, Dan Steinberg talk Redskins-Cowboys this morning
Next: Keiland Williams glad the call never came

Comments

AH trade talks to Titans? Go Albert!

Posted by: kmfuss | September 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Redskins, Titans talking Albert Haynesworth trade
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 7, 2010 9:21 AM ET
While the relationship between Albert Haynesworth and the Redskins deteriorated over the weekend, MDS had a great post which essentially said this:

The Redskins either need to accept Haynesworth as a Redskin (and stop anonymously ripping him) or cut bait once and for all.

It looks like they are trying for door number two.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Titans and Redskins have again engaged in trade talk surrounding Haynesworth. There is no deal as of yet.

The Redskins already paid Haynesworth's massive option bonus this year, so the Titans have a chance to get a player they know best at a huge discount. The Redskins would just be admitting a massively expensive mistake that Mike Shanahan hasn't helped to fix.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, MK12 with hammy setback...

What a shame. His only hope is to be IR'ed.

Moss, Thomas, Galloway, Armstrong, Williams, Banks.

Austin to the PS.

Posted by: psps23 | August 30, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Boom. Point: psps23

I love being right.

Next prediction: September 12, 2010 - Washington 34, Dallas 17

Posted by: psps23 | September 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Haha, good stuff psps23. Here's hoping you're every bit as right about Sunday night...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't really care anymore about this AH fiasco. He will either play with us or he'll be traded for draft picks. Either way, it'll be a net positive impact for the Skins. All focus is now on Dallas, not Haynesworth.

Posted by: psps23 | September 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think that's about what I thot, psps.

Can't coach speed. Just send Banks & Moss deep a few times every drive and watch how open the running lanes & tight ends are....

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 7, 2010 9:34 AM

My feelings exactly.

Posted by: TWISI | September 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Stompy, where fat-ass meets waxed-pine.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Yep Dik, I remember you and I had the same WR list.

We have some burners on the roster now. Moss, Banks, Armstrong, Thomas, and heck, even Galloway; these guys all have the ability to get behind the defense with regularity. I'm giddy at the prospect of seeing Shanahan's offense taking routine deep shots with these guys.

Posted by: psps23 | September 7, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you guys...I don't really care how the AH fiasco ends, so long as it ends. Trade him, cut him, I don't give a sh*t at this point. Bottom line, just get him out...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Where is the love?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I have to think our methodology against the Gurls is to 1) plaster rHomo and X) smack the receivers around.

I'm not as familiar w/ their D. What is our O-gameplan for this week?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"AH trade talks to Titans? Go Albert!"

I'm convinced the Skins are the "un-named" team in trying to trade for Vincent Jackson this past weekend. I think they are trying to get picks so they can give SD what they want and make everybody happy.

Hopefully this will all work out for the Skins in the end.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 7, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Where is the love?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 9:46 AM

Probably down the sh*tter with whatever you left in the bathroom the first day you couldn't finish your conditioning test...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

If AH gets traded to the Titans, that would make for a fun game when we play them this year!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 7, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Likely the are trying to get high enough draft pick for AH to trade for VC. I am hoping this happens. I am sick of this guy.

Posted by: Gussneck | September 7, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I MEAN VJ NOT VC, I MUST HAVE VINCE CARTER ON MY MIND

Posted by: Gussneck | September 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of his FAT HARSE. I will take 4th and 6h at this point.

Posted by: BarackObama | September 7, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Seriously?! We're talking about an AH trade within 6 days of opening day against Dallas?! Please make this nightmare end!

Will he be active, inactive, or traded? Dead is about the only choice for him not mentioned yet.

What a distraction for the team, the coaches, and the fans. Get on with whatever the final decision will be...please.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about the AH thing, this could explain why they kept extra d-lineman...they never intended to keep him.

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Where is the love?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 9:46 AM

In your bank account. Where's the respect in return?

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

This rumor is more horseS**t.

If they trade Albert (and I don't think they will this season) the price will be steep as it should be. Sportswriters claiming the Redskins are "exhausted" with the AH situation just aren't getting it. Albert has been an invaluable object lesson for Shanahan in his first year as head coach.

You take $nyder's money now, you'd better be prepared to contribute 110%, or you'll be crushed. That's the lesson -- a good one!

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited for the Dallas game!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 7, 2010 9:56 AM

I'd bet the house that if he does to go Tennessee, the Redskins game will be the only one he gives a dogged and consistent effort all season...I like Jeff Fisher, but if Day 1 he rode AH like Shanahan is now, we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Shamesworth wants to be in TN - that's where his $4-mil yacht is. That's where his mansion is even though he has homes/condos in other areas. He's been paid - CORRECTION - he's STOLEN 30+ million from the Washington Redskins over the last year and he wants to go back to TN where he can do what he wants and most importantly, not do what ever he doesn't want. A trade will get done and Haynes-Girth will not be on the roster opening night.

BOOK IT!

Yes, I know he is probably the single most talented player on the defense and maybe the team but a doosh is a doosh. Get his lardbutt out of here!

DO IT NOW!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

There is no lesson with this AH saga. Shanahan like most coaches want this done his way. If you don't want to do it his way you will be shipped out. This is standard operating procedure for most NFL coaches. If traded Shanahan did not win, Albert won. He got to keep his money and go to a team that plays the 4-3.

It would have been nice to see AH show up and in shape and motivated to play. He didn't and is a constant distraction and has to go. It's a shame because I don't see this being a top 10 defense without a productive AH.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 7, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited for the Dallas game!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 10:08 AM

Me too! You coming over to watch the game or will you be en route to Tennessee that night? Let me know if you come by...I'll need you to bring the nachos. Make sure you drive, that way I know they'll get here fast...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

This is NOT as big a distraction as people are making it out to be at this point. I seriously doubt this is actually distracting the players or coaches during Dallas week. You can simply choose to ignore this, all this is is a bspn rumor. Seriously act like youve been there before, this amounts to nothing.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How will I replace those awesome ham and peanut butter sandwiches that Cooley brings to practice?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | September 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I MEAN VJ NOT VC, I MUST HAVE VINCE CARTER ON MY MIND

Posted by: Gussneck | September 7, 2010 10:00 AM |

Guss, even though I have been thinking this all along, I think you're onto something, scenario-wise.

That said, VJAX still needs a new contract too, right?

What ever, trade Haney for a tackling dummy - I couldn't care less. What I would like, however, is for Snyder to actually be quoted saying, "We got rid of that fat bag of doosh and now we can move forward."

I know it would never happen but Danny's approval rating would go through the roof.

I never root for any player to be injured but in this case I'll make an exception and pray for his Achilles to pop while he simultaneously "Theismans" his leg and blows out a knee, crapping himself while wearing white pants on national television.

If I had 3 wishes, I would burn 2 of them on that, I swear.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"The lesson is being taught by my client, Mr. Hayneworth, not Shanahan. Think about it. Mr. Haynesworth has it all -- his health, Snyder's money and SEVERAL teams desiring his services. Our strategy has been simple from the start: Play games with us and we will play games with you. Shanahan has proceeded about as clumsily as humanly possible and has fractured his locker room as the players publicly acknowledge that their chances of winning are better with Mr.Haynesworth. Now the ham-handed Shanahan is looking at his wet paint brush and wondering how he painted himself into a corner. How I love it when a plan comes together.My client and I wish the Redskins well. They've certainly rewarded us beyond our wildest dreams! And Thank You, little Danny.Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent |"

Troll.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 7, 2010 10:19 AM

I couldn't disagree with this more...the only way Shanahan wins is if he restores order to his locker room and has EVERY player dedicated to the team effort. The only way he does that is by getting AH outta here. He gave it a shot (to a fault, IMO) but it's time to cut your losses. AH wasn't Shanahan's investment, so the only way he "loses" is if AH stays here undermining his best efforts.

The only loser in this is Snyder...once again he gambled that paying someone else's star would translate here and lost...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Banks: "I think I had a point to prove and I did".
Sorry young man. You have not proven anything yet. You made an active roster, but until you actually produce on that roster, it won't mean a damn thing.
But, I am still pulling for you.....

Posted by: rapskins | September 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

RI, pls for the love of god get rid of the horrible Tom Brady ad at the top of the page that won't seem to go away.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 7, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"If traded Shanahan did not win, Albert won. He got to keep his money and go to a team that plays the 4-3."

If AH is sent to TENN, that Titans v. Skins game suddenly just got circle as must-see tv.

We got:

McNabb v. Young

AH v. the 2010 WASHINGTON Redskins offense whose line calls and running plays he knows.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 7, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM

Actually, after the Cavs owner came out his face with that bullsh*t in the wake of LeBron "taking his talents to South Beach", I won't put any quote past any owner in any sport. Not saying it's likely...just not impossible.

And WOW to that visual you laid out with AH...I mean, I kinda believe in karma but that would just UFB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey beep-beep,

Most creative thing up here was the guy who used to post Snyder as $nyder. That was hot.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 7:46 AM |

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 7, 2010 10:08 AM |

So beep-beep, you must be talking about Pepper5, or maybe some of the other folks, including myself, that use the $ instead of an S.

As far as AH, I'm numb to the fact that he even exists. I'll celebrate the day he's no longer a Redskin.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I could not disagree with YOU more. Shanahan has totally botched this situation - and with 6 days until Dallas he needs to just chill and concentrate on winning the game - not the power of the wills!

Good/great managers are adept at dealing with diverse personalities and making it work - Shanahan has failed miserably at this with Albert. Let's just hope he does not fail as miserably with our beloved team. I'm seriously worried.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Troll.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM |

Or more appropriately...Retard.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 7, 2010 10:33 AM

If he knew that, I'm sure he wouldn't be shopped right now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

More media garbage.
Need to beat the f_ck out of the cowturds to remedy this media nonsense.

Posted by: bhoang888 | September 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 7, 2010 10:19 AM |

If traded Shanahan did not win, Albert won.

Not so. Shanahan inherited this loser and had to deal with him and not lose the respect of the team. Shanahan has done just that. The real losers, Snyder and Cerrato.

Posted by: hessone | September 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Or more appropriately...Retard.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2010 10:37 AM

I'm so retarded that I told you weeks ago how this saga would end. And I was right. Shanahan is a loser and the locker room knows it. they don't respect a coach who places his ego above the welfare of the team.

When Dallas pushes your nose tackle and right defensive end around and runs the ball down your throat, please think fondly of Shanahan and how he bungled this whole Haynesworth affair. Mr. Haynesworth has already vowed to miss the upcoming offseason conditioning program as well if the Redskins foolishly keep him around, so there is no way out for Shanahan other than to trade him or pay him for doing nothing. My client would love to take an extended vacation near his mansion in Florida or be practice fodder while raking in even MORE millions from little Danny. Life is good.

Posted by: HaynesworthsAgent | September 7, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 7, 2010 10:36 AM

You must not be a parent...if a kid is acting out and not falling in line with the guidelines set forth by his parents, you don't NOT discipline the child because it would cause a scene. You make a damn scene at his/her expense if you have to. You do what you know is right. That's what Shanahan has done...anyone who thinks that ignoring AH and his insubordination is right move just because we have a game coming up is every bit as out of touch with reality as AH is.

That said, Shanahan isn't without fault...if he knew from the start this guy is a turd, he should have cut/traded him long ago. Going into training camp with this guy, let alone the season, is every bit as eggregious an error as signing him to a big money contract was to begin with.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If I had 3 wishes, I would burn 2 of them on that, I swear.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM

Dumb. Your first wish should always be for a million more wishes. Then you can waste 2 on AH.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 7, 2010 10:36 AM |

So Shannahan should have let one selfish - check that, THEIVING - player dictate to the team how things should go?

Really? I mean, seriously?

I know you're a girl but you do know that football is a team sport don't you? You do know that a player, even an all-pro cannot just show up like Deion Sanders and play right? You are aware that no matter how it happened, Haynesworth is in the best physical shape (for him, anyway) that he's been in in about 5 years right? You do know that Shannahan gave AH every possible chance to get out of town before accepting his 20 million dollar check in April right? You do know that it was AH, not Shannahan that refused to participate in OTA's and then the "optional" minicamps right? You do know that it was Fat Albert, NOT SHANNAHAN that told the media that he wouldn't be in camp next year either right?

Do you totally absolve this fat sack of doosh of all he has done throughout this drama of an off-season? Do you?

Because, if you do, than you must love Jim Zorn because the current coach doesn't play that sh*t and I am fine with each and every action he's taken because every action he has taken has had the team and AH's preparedness to play in mind.

Don't be such a dumb c*nt.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The negativity in this situation is coming from shanarat! and the skins all the public stuff is being put out by the skins seems to me that shanarat would not allow all this stuff to come out if he is as controlling as they say he is albert has actually said very little but shanarat has won the court of public opinion I hope they lose sunday night (never thought i would say that)if he would cut out the slave/master routine and stop worrying about AH all this stuff would blow over.

Posted by: phildozier | September 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If I had 3 wishes, I would burn 2 of them on that, I swear.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 7, 2010 10:57 AM |

I know what one of your wishes would be Hokie, LOL.

Your team got straight up kicked out of the BCS in the very first game by Potato State.

Classic.

If I were re-Tard-rod Taylor at this point, I'd drop out of VT and start training for the NFL combine while my stock was still high and I was uninjured. There's no point in playing this year anymore.

I bet the Terps beat your team this year, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

VT sucks balls.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

That said, Shanahan isn't without fault...if he knew from the start this guy is a turd, he should have cut/traded him long ago. Going into training camp with this guy, let alone the season, is every bit as egregious an error as signing him to a big money contract was to begin with.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 10:55 AM |

A - - FUC*ING - -MEN!!!!!!!!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Terps beat your team this year, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

VT sucks balls.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Im the furthest thing from a Tech fan but did you watch the Terps game, they are the luckiest team outsidda ECU this weekend. Navy should have won that game by a good margin.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 7, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Terps beat your team this year, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

VT sucks balls.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 11:06 AM |

I'm not a fan of either team but I take that bet all day. You're on crack if you think Maryland holds a candle in the wind to VT.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

If I had 3 wishes, I would burn 2 of them on that, I swear.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:24 AM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 7, 2010 10:57 AM

That goes against all wish rules...you can't wish for more wishes.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 7, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't be such a dumb c*nt.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 7, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Thats what i used to yell at the TV last year when zorn was being zorn. Ha.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Haynesworth because he has never made it clear that he is willing to value the success of the team over gratification of his own ego. However, I think it is ridiculous to blame him for all of the controversy deliberately created by leaks fron unnamed Redskins "sources." Either these guys are freelancing (how likely is that with Shanahan in charge), or Shanahan thinks that he can whip Albert into shape by humiliating him. Bottom line -- It makes no sense to badmouthing Haynesworth if you want to trade him. If he is still here, start him against Dallas.

Posted by: bbigtim | September 7, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse