Posted at 1:41 PM ET, 11/17/2010

Brandon Banks knew he would play despite surgery

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins return specialist Brandon Banks said Wednesday that he had no doubt he would play in Monday night's loss to Philadelphia despite having surgery to repair a torn ligament in his knee only 12 days earlier.

"That was my plan the whole time," Banks said. "I knew I was going to play. So I just worked hard in the rehab and was able to get out there."

Banks returned six kickoffs for an average of 26.3 yards and a long of 38 yards against the Eagles. He had one punt return for six yards and two fair catches. Coach Mike Shanahan had said Banks would likely miss two or three weeks.

"Each day it got better," Banks said. "The closer to the game, the better I felt, so that's why I went out there and played."

Banks ranks seventh in the league in kickoff returns with an average of 27.0 yards and fourth in the league in punt returns with an average of 13.3 yards. He expects to be ready to play Sunday at Tennessee.

"Of course the next morning it was swelling," Banks said, "but I feel normal today."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 17, 2010; 1:41 PM ET
Categories:  Brandon Banks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth returns to Tenn. with mixed emotions
Next: Shanahan not sure Landry did anything wrong

Comments

Now that...my friends...is a football player!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 17, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

All well and good, but the Dude did not look sharp. Small wonder.

Realize it's an occupational hazard and ever present possibility that one bad cut can kill a career, but especially after it was apparent that Philly was going to stomp 'em, the so-called coaching staff should have pulled him in favor of another -- like Roydell Williams or Joey Galloway, who might prove to be just be a little more expendable in the long run.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 17, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, this kid has put a spark in dismal phase of our game! He is one of the top returners in this league and we only have 2 wins if Randle El was back there. He puts us in great field position and with our O we need it. Small "Wonder" is correct!

Posted by: kevinlc555 | November 17, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here a little, but the big argument for doling out multiple draft picks and more money for a "franchise QB" was to raise the level of play of the O-line and WRs... the argument was poor play at QB was making them look bad.

...and yet, after obtaining a "franchise QB", I keep hearing how our O-line and WRs are still terrible. Shouldn't a franchise QB be making them look better?

What gives?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 17, 2010 12:07 PM

Sorry Alan, stepped out for a few minutes...

I don't remember the argument that a franchise QB would make our line better - unless it was that JC 17 was holding the ball too long...

If that was the plan, then yeah...it didn't work.

Either way, I don't think it's a given that superior O line play and consistent running will make any QB a great one. You still probably need a great QB.

I do, however, believe that superior O line play and consistent running can cover for a so-so QB and allow him time to develop and still gives the team a chance to win along the way. Look at the Jets and Ravens.

Either way, we will be much better served with healthy dose of new O linemen come the off season. I think we can all agree on that.

Posted by: edvar | November 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of hearing the, "How will the Skins respond" headlines. I heard the same thing after the Detroit loss too. Means nothing.

On third and longs, they need to bring in Banks split to the outside with Armstrong and Davis in the slot with Moss. Do something, anything different!

Posted by: ga8085 | November 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone heard if Nick Fairley(Auburn) is coming out this year?

Dude is a beast, and we could use someone like that guy on our D-line. But would you use the 1st rounder on him, cause thats when he will be selected.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 17, 2010 1:55 PM

Do that on first down too.

Spread them out and make them choose between stopping the run and the deep ball.

Posted by: edvar | November 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patljr7 | November 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

After we were so far behind, it was criminally stupid to send Banks out there. He was brave to play, but the coaches are expected to exercise some judgment. Lack of judgment is becoming a habit with this staff.

Another game as well in which we were totally outcoached.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | November 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly spoke today. He said he is soo upset about the NFL PUP list rules. He said he is totally healthy. Has been practicing. And could play this week, if allowed. Too bad we have to wait till next year.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you, since I went to the game. They put BB16 on offense twice. The first time, he was just on the field to scare people. The second time he did a 9 route, and breezed right pass the corner...was wide open, but Mc5 had no time to even see him.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

and listening to you whine about how folks TRUELY feel about the redskins is pathetic. I hope the redskins turn it around, but I've seen enough of this owner after 10 YEARS take money from folks and blow it on has-beens, which is what the new crowned GM did right out of the gate. who was he trying to impress with trading draft picks for old vets, snyder ?

as for the players of the golden years, you think they're proud of this franchise and how snyder runs it ? I doubt it

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse
----

The only ones whining are folks like you. They aren't very good, which shouldn't be any surprise. The TRUTH is, whether you'll admit it or not, some folks will dislike anything this organization does as long as Snyder runs it. As I said, get used to it, or root for a team you respect. He isn't going anywhere, and he appears to have made changes that we all wanted. If you want to conjure up conspiracy theories on why he's still meddling with decision making, then you're wasting your time with this team - because you'll never stop.

If you TRULY FEEL you dislike this organization, find another one. Otherwise...MAN THE F--K UP.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

What I don't get Hess is if you know how the next ten years will be playing out (like the last 10 years) why root for the Skins and post on this board? No matter how much you complain it is not changing who will be the owner of the Skins for the next 40 years, so what is the point?

You may as will go back to Boycott Dan $nyder.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 17, 2010 1:34 PM |

well kerz, it's because this new FO DID NOT CHANGE IT'S WAY OF OPERATION. that to me means more of what has already been served up. what's wrong with that ?

you know, reading over and over how great the FO move was and what an upgrade mcnabb is gets old too, especially when it doesn't look that way to me.

just an opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:11 PM |

someones C-R-A-N-K-Y

this is a football game my man. you act as if it's life or death. maybe you should learn to agree to disagree

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas averaged 28 and played kick cover and punt cover

good call shanny

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:11 PM |

someones C-R-A-N-K-Y

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse
---

Heh, funny you say that. I'm primarily optimistic about this team's future, and realistic about it's present. You rant consisently about your dislike of the organization. Really: who is treating it so severely? Like I said, if I felt like you and others like you, I wouldn't put myself through it - I'd stop watching while someone I felt was ethically or morally repugant owned the team, or find another team.

It's fascinating, but I'm more frustrated with your particular section of the fanbase than with the team. I suppose it makes sense:

I KNOW what is wrong with the team. I DON'T know why that fan base tortures themselves, and by blog/radio, me.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas averaged 28 and played kick cover and punt cover

good call shanny

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 17, 2010 2:22 PM

The real shame of this is that while Galloway has slipped further down the depth chart, youngins like Austin aren't getting a shot.

Posted by: TWISI | November 17, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

just an opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:13 PM

Yes, we got your opinion the first dozen times you voiced it. Pretty sure everyone up here knows your feeling on DS.

Talking football and just repeating the same phrase using different words are not the same.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patljr7 | November 17, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry dude but chad freakin dukes is not a redskins fan. he and Lavar Arrington look for every chance they can to put down the team.... And btw chad,can you tell me how a 31 year old guy could be a fan of the team for 31 years?

Posted by: jumbo5383 | November 17, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

9. Shaw (25)
10. Tuskegee
(#) - Top 25 Ranking Coaches Polls, FCS, AFCA

for more: www.hbcuclassics.com

Posted by: hbcuclassicscom | November 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 2:26 PM |

ok, tell me what's wrong with this franchise, because all I've heard is excuses from some folks. I'm listening dude, and I'll take your opinion and either agree or disagree, but I won't slam you for it.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hbcuclassicscom | November 17, 2010 2:35 PM

Thank you very much.

Go away.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

here's the thing that surprises me the most. I expected we'd be criticizing Shanahan for some of his personnel moves. His track record on that is mixed.

But ... I didn't think we'd be criticizing him so much for his coachin/leadership decisions. I didn't expect a Redskins team to come out totally flat. Not with Shanahan as HC, Donovan the leader on offense and Fletcher the leader on defense. This ... not something I expected

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Another inconsequential post. Follow the leader. Follow

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | November 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report
----

..they don't have enough players, which is a combination of a poor past strategy of surrendering draft picks for FA's, and the FA's themselves by the majority not panning out.

The Redskins have reorganized themselves and their strategic approach. Though you feel McNabb is the same old, I feel the picks given up for a QB of with that resume is legit. There is also some sound reasoning behind it: they couldn't afford to blow this year's first on a QB when they HAD to have a LT. Luckily, a unique situation developed where a QB of McNabb's stature was available, without surrendering a 1st in any year. An argument can (and has) been made that sticking with Campbell would make sense, but I'd argue that swapping Campbell out for a 4th, while losing a 3rd and 2nd for McNabb, is not a bad deal.

That was the only FA move of monetary or draft value significance made. Otherwise, the pickups have been on the cheap, in hopes of finding stop-gaps at spots that are major holes. In the past, I'd argue that we'd blow big money at some of those positions on FA's.

They lack the talent of a perinnial contender, and that can't be fixed their first offseason. Behind closed doors, I'm sure they are aware of that. In public, they will be as optimistic as possible, as they have been regarding their chances - what team isn't?

In short (too late!) I don't think this approach has been near the same, I don't sense Snyder meddling based on the decisions, and I'm willing to give them a few years to turnover this team where neccessary. As of right now, they are one year improved from 4-12...which means 8-8 would be a big move.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Ack..."signing" FA's, not trading picks, and "trading picks" for players under contract.

Apologies.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Name me one team in the last 20 years that has done a complete roster purge and has even sniffed the Super Bowl.

Sorry: I'm just not into trivia.

I just want to see a competitive football team.

I want the skins to be like the stillers, pats, ravens, colts, titans, giants, eagles, etc. who season in and season out, are tough teams to beat.

Teams that year in and year out are ready to make a run for a ring.

Those teams aren't frittering away draft picks on injured players or past their prime types.

Those teams don't have too many 'big name' contract guys who underperform like bad stock.

Those teams--and their fans--know that winning or 'sniffin'' the Super Bowl is the exception, not the rule.

What some of us wantedafter back to back last place redskin NFC East finishes is someone to come in, clean house, and build a competitve team.

We all have patience for the proper use of draft picks and low cost free agents.

That's how you become competitive last time I checked.

But the man from Denver chose to 'win now'.

From my memory, the Road to the Super Bowl is littered with teams trying to 'win now.'

And that road is the one the competitive teams travel confidently to get to the Super Bowl.

While the 'win now' teams lie like road kill and just get in the way.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | November 17, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

10 years + of mismanagement is tough to overcome ... Remember the 7 years of plenty and the 7 years of hardship? Well, it's been a little longer than 7 years of hardship. For years, the team overpaid for overpriced stars who achieved success elsewhere. The team obviously lacks a foundation, and it's going to take some time to rebuild.

Preparation takes longer than a single week when the problem stems from years of neglect. How can we blame Shanahan for the state of the O-line, or D McNabb for that matter? The Redskins aren't prepared because they don't have the right people. It's a miracle that the team is 4-5, because the record could easily be far worse.

The receiving corps. has been terrible for years, as Boswell reported last week.

I didn't see the Philly debacle coming. I feel the team will bounce back against Tennessee, but maybe that's because I'm a homer. The defense foolishly taunted a far more talented opponent. I like it when the Skins are underdogs. This team needs to play as if it has its back against the wall.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | November 17, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Not surprising that Jreid and all manner of other "clued in" expert talking heads said there was no way Banks would play. He played.

If you don't know--say so. Especially when you are supposed to be an insider.

Posted by: DownTownClown | November 18, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse