Posted at 6:12 PM ET, 11/28/2010

Perry Riley: "I feel terrible for the situation"

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins rookie linebacker Perry Riley provided perhaps the most crucial play in Sunday's 17-13 loss to Minnesota, blocking Vikings defensive lineman Everson Griffen in the back and negating a 77-yard punt return for a touchdown by Washington's Brandon Banks.

Riley initially declined to speak to reporters in the Redskins' locker room, and he left FedEx Field without commenting. But public relations director Tony Wyllie later convinced him to answer a couple of questions on a conference call. Here's Riley:

What happened?: "It was a return to the left side of the field. I was trying to get position on my man. Banks did a good job setting the dude up. I thought I hit him on his shoulder rather than his back. Apparently I hit him on his back. The call was made. Of course, I felt bad about it. It was all in good spirit. I was thinking positive on the play. It turned out bad on my part, but that's something that I will fix. I feel terrible for the situation."

Did you agree with the call?: "They showed one replay on the big screen. I kind of caught the end of it because l was talking to the refs about the call. I didn't really see the replay the way I wanted to see it. People told me both things. People told me it looked like a block in the back. Some people say it was kind of iffy. I'm going to go home, try to find it. I'm sure it's going to be on SportsCenter somewhere. I'm going to look at it when I go home or look at it tomorrow when we go over the film. I'll be able to know then whether it was really a block in the back or a bang-bang play."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 28, 2010; 6:12 PM ET
Categories:  Brandon Banks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vikings defeat Redskins 17-13
Next: Artis Hicks benched in favor of Will Montgomery

Comments

WoW

Posted by: WRBD | November 28, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Post has been up here 13 minutes and no comments? Man, no one much cares.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 28, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Focus will now turn to next April's draft.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 28, 2010 6:21 PM |

And the realization that the fran QB the Skins really need, Andy Luck, is beyond their reach. To heap irony on top of helplessness, the Pants drafted 3 QBs last yr, none of them worked out, and now they are pretty much a lock to get Luck.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Post has been up here 13 minutes and no comments? Man, no one much cares.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 28, 2010 6:27 PM

Why should anyone? Was this outcome in doubt?

For real though...this game came down to two plays: the McNabb underthrow on the deep play to AA and the Riley block in the back to bring back the Banks TD. If we somehow could count the TDs he's had called back, dude would be a lock for the Pro-Bowl as a return man...

Can't leave 11 points on the field and expect to win in the NFL. Out of all the losses this year, this one hurts the most because WE beat ourselves...the Vikings had nothing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 28, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Ugh... we suck again.

I'd say the offense we saw today is the best redskin offense--in terms of formation, playcalling, design--we've seen in a long time.

The redskin defense is where the problem is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 28, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Post has been up here 13 minutes and no comments? Man, no one much cares.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 28, 2010 6:27 PM |

No one much cars to pick over the bones of a defeat that could have been a victory with better play.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | November 28, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Post has been up here 13 minutes and no comments? Man, no one much cares.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 28, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Talk to me about offseason moves. That's what I care about at this point.

Here's a question - what have we figured out from this season so far?

Sadly, precious little, IMO.

Our QB situation is still unsettled.

We are pretty unsettled at 4/5 of our Oline spots.

We have 1 receiver we can count on for the future - Anthony Armstrong - and he's 27 and he's no more than a #2 WR on his best day. Otherwise, Tana is on the wrong side of 30 and Terrence Austin is still a big "?".

We have a couple of RBs we are shuffling through, but no one that has really emerged as the "man", unless we are rolling the dice on Torain's health.

On defense we are as uncertain about the 3-4 shift as we were at the start of the season. We've got a ton of 4-3 personnel and nowhere to put them.

We've managed to unearth a couple of gems - Banks, Armstrong, Lorenzo Alexander, Trent Williams is a keeper.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what we know about this new project after this season, except that it's still very much a project.

I guess we'll see what the last few games reveal.

Posted by: p1funk | November 28, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

The redskin defense is where the problem is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 28, 2010 6:31 PM

So let me get this straight...the unit that held an offense that brags the likes of Brett Favre, Percy Harvin, Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, and Visanthe Shiancoe to only 17 points is at fault for the loss but the unit that scored 13 points and blew a sure TD is the one that gets the game ball? You'll excuse me if I VEHEMENTLY disagree with that nonsense.

If your defense holds your opponent to 17 points, you should win. Period. As I said...this game came down to two plays: the McNabb missed TD to AA and the block in the back by Riley. That's 11 points on two plays. You can't fault the defense for this...especially when they're playing without LaRon Landry.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 28, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

...but no one's heart is really in it. I think peeps have essentially given up. Focus will now turn to next April's draft.

Posted by: beep-beep

Eh, they are who we thought they were. A 7-9 team, 8-8 if they get lucky, 6-9 if the tailspin continues via injuries.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I am guessing from the sacks and lack of running yards, the 'Skins O-line couldn't handle the Vikings front four. Shouldn't blame Riley or the D too much. Winning teams produce more than 13 points. The offense stinks again this year, and has stunk for years. Shanny will need a few years to fix this mess.

Posted by: swowra | November 28, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

It was a really "iffy" call that could have gone either way, especially sine the play had already gone past. The refs sure did take their dear old sweet time calling it, making me think they were unsure of it themselves. Still should have won the game (you let a 41 year old QB with pneumonia and a bum ankle scramble for ten yards with the game on the line?? Really???)

This organization is mired in mediocrity and has been for 15 years. SHanahan may get them to 9 or 10 wins in a few seasons but that is about it. They really need to tear the whole thing down, stockpile draft picks, make smart FA signings, get a good young assistant and be patient for a couple of years while the young players grow. It's really frustrating -- Detroit for example has a promising future with a young roster and BUffalo fights like crazy with a young roster.

Instead, we will sign a couple of veterans on the downside, lose a couple of draft picks, and continue the cycle. We have not heard from Snyder yet but another losing season and we go back to square one. If we are not there already. Tell me again why we cut Devin THomas but kept Galloway? Thomas was young with room for growth. Galloway, bless him, was finished.

Posted by: haunches | November 28, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: haunches | November 28, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: haunches | November 28, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

nice hat trick.

Posted by: swowra | November 28, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Riley is a numbskull. The block was A) Worthless, B) Stupid, and C) Totally and obviously illegal.

Good job, they told him. Because he was a draft pick. The guy seems to be a moron. I hate him.

Good News: Eagles are behind and their Coward, Scumbag QB doesn't have the heart nor desire to ever comeback. So, they lose, too.

I hope The Criminal Scumbag gets his spine snapped and dies on the field. Of course, he wont be running because he's a coward with no heart. He'd be happy to throw an INT and go hide on the sideline like he's done his whole Loser career.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Vick = Coward.

Always has been.

Always will be.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Perry the LB- "I'm going to look at it when I go home or look at it tomorrow when we go over the film. I'll be able to know then whether it was really a block in the back or a bang-bang play?"

It was a terrible play and you were guilty twice today. The 2nd negated a TD and was completely unnecessary because Banks was already by him. The refs could have swallowed the whistle but didn't. You should be cut.

He doesn't deserve all the blame, Now if they can interview the following..

The OL: another TERRIBLE showing by the interior
The DL: pathetic again. we need a NT and TWO 3-4 DEs
LA97 & KM41: It's a f'ing PA pass, they ran it 20x and you two nimrods fell for it every time.
McNabb: QUIT under throwing wide open WRs and preventing TDs.
89 & 47: Gamers but your two drops per game are killing us.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: haunches | November 28, 2010 6:46 PM

Yeah, good examples...two teams that have been doing a "proper rebuild" via stockpiling draft picks, smart FA signings, and hiring hot young coaches. Two decades later (and for the Lions it's been more like 5 decades), they're still rebuilding.

There's no foolproof way to build an NFL team. If there was, everyone would do it. Seems to me the Redskins are following the model the Saints put forth...ANY approach takes time when you're trying to come back from 4-12...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The whole team is soft!!!!How do you lose to a 3-7 team? ...at home!!! a bunch of teenage girls is what the skins are and always will be. Its sad that I'll always be a fan though.

Posted by: beigebandit | November 28, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I did not agree with the call I was at the game and had a close look at the play, the ref was wrong, he may have had money on the game. There was a block in the back by the Vikings on the ensuing punt that was soo obvious but wasnt called. Yea ref sucks but so do the Redskins receivers who cant catch anything.

Posted by: pquick6165 | November 28, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the drops by Cooley and Moss have been getting really old for a couple of years now.

Stats, Inc. can shove their incorrect count up their statistical asses. This team drops all types of passes every game.

RBs, TE, Receivers, everybody.

PS - DuhSean Jackson is also a heartless coward and Julius Peppers just caught Michelle Vick from behind.

Vick is a scumbag loser, by the way.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Beeps----->

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I love watching Andy Reid trying to talk to Vick about how they can win.

Andy will learn soon: Vick doesn't care. He's been a loser for years, why would he start caring now?

What if he runs and gets hit? It might hurt him.

"Better to half-step to a loss, Coach. We get paid the same either way."

All the talent in the world doesn't make a guy have heart. Especially if the guy is a demonstrated Coward of low morals.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

holding.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Straight Coward.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_

The sad thing is he was called for that penalty twice, that was his second time and pretty much cost us the game. That shows me he is an idiot.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

skins future WR will be active tonight.....Vincent Jackson

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 28, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Um, yeah, amazing throw, my ass.

Luck.

Too little too late.

May the Coward continue his display.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

The NFC Least gets swept this week, and the kicker is that a 'Skins win would have put them only one game out of first place.

Posted by: swowra | November 28, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Love watching the Eagles lose.

Vick finally has a smile on his face now that the game is over. Threat of bodily injury gone, time to focus on pretending to be a decent human being.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 7:10 PM |

Yeah, rachel, but maybe he runs fast or can pick up lots of weight while laying on his back.

I mean, c'mon! What's more important: Not hitting people OBVIOUSLY in the back and taking TDs off the scoreboard or being just a little bit slower than the average RB?

Thank you! Shanahan knows what he's doing. All we gotta do now is wait for John Elway to be reincarnated.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 28, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I love the people that thought we were going to go 16-0 this year....and now that they realize we aren't, they are ripping Shanahan as if he is Jim Zorn 2.0

I am very glad you aren't in charge of this team. Did you really think we were one (off)season away from being a championship-caliber team??? Don't be ridiculous!

Championship teams are BUILT, not BOUGHT. This offseason Shanahan will be getting rid of: Andre Carter, Perry Riley, Derrick Dockery, Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Chris Horton, Albert Haynesworth, Roydell Williams, Hunter Smith, and, if my prayers are answered, Casey Rabach. There will be massive turnover, and we will get younger and better.

We will trade away some of this heartless dead weight for draft picks, and we will draft smart. OL, C, OLB, WR, maybe even a real nose tackle if there is one available. Our current personnel is horribly suited to the 3-4, and that can't be fixed in 1 offseason. Our team, after years of 'leadership' from people like Cerrato, Zorn, etc, was in a total shambles. You should all be happy we even have 5 wins. Patience, young ones.....

Posted by: leedisantis | November 28, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

They surprised me last week by not getting spanked in Tenn and actually winning. This week a muzzle was put on farve so the Viks didn't throw the game away or keep putting themselves in bad position. With the coach change in Minn I bet most of you expected a good showing by the vikings and I bet most of us here would have predicted a Minn win before the game today. So it is what it is and what the realists expected before the season. All that said it's still fun for fans to have hope until being mathematically eliminated. Some argue its better to drop out of the race quick, realize a full turnover is needed and start the player evaluation process now and see what you've got. I do 'believe' this staff knows they don't have what it takes talent wise but it will take at least 2 more years before the skins can be a serious playoff contender - if they make the right player decisions.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | November 28, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

The Riley block was a perfectly legal block on the right shoulder. It never would have been called by honest, competent refs. These refs decided to ignore things like the so obvious holding on Brian O. and the facemask tackle on Banks and make questionable (at best) calls on the skins that they should all be fired. I don't mind so much losing when we are outplayed as I do when the cards are stacked against us.
Give us a break you refs!!

Posted by: rpm2nite | November 28, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Ughhhh!

Posted by: rpm2nite | November 28, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Too many non-call on Vikings holding and no calls on face mask tackles on Banks.

Posted by: rpm2nite | November 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

It was an obvious block in the back. And it was unnecessary since Banks was already past that defender. Stupid play by Riley. Football games are not won or lost by any one play, since there are many plays that have the potential to alter the final result. However, since this was a close game and the TD being called back very late in the game, it was a back breaker. The Vikings were poised to score again late in the game and choose to run out the clock, but likely would have scored if necessary.

Posted by: youcanthandlethetruth1 | November 28, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

We just aren't good enough to make big mistakes.

Posted by: stillAfan1 | November 28, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

What disgusted me, and I mean absolutely disgusted me wasn't the penalty so much, but afterwards. Seeing all the players go up to him on the sidelines patting him on the shoulder, Danny Smith looking like he was having a "upbeat" discussion with him. Does anyone on this team get mad? I'm sick of seeing drops, penalties that cost us the game and people acting like it's okay. Tom Brady went crazy on the sidelines at his team for failing to get a 3rd down. I know it's a team sport, but why are you encouraging failure? You screw up at work and i'm sure your boss is going to pat you on the back, so why does it apply on the field? After the 1st penalty, he should of been pulled from the game. So sick of seeing mistakes and no consequence whatsoever.

Posted by: hy3408 | November 28, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The Riley block was legal, the refs blew it.

Posted by: rpm2nite | November 28, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paolsons | November 28, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Riley was renting.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | November 28, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Riley has nothing to feel sorry for; the picture proves what was already pretty clear from the replays-- it was a perfectly legitimate block that should never have been penalized.

a block in the back is not automatically/inherently illegal. if it were, on every single play, every single defender that was about to be blocked could simply spin their body to the side really quickly, causing the blocker to contact them in the back. but this doesn't happen precisely because contact in the back is *not* inherently illegal.

first of all, the defender must be oriented toward the ballcarrier; the picture clearly shows that he is actually turned sideways in regard to Banks-- a perfect example of what i stated above, drawing an erroneous penalty based solely upon him twisting his body sideways, away from the ballcarrier. if he had been oriented toward Banks, Riley's contact would in fact have been directly into the side of his body. it was a proper trajectory for Riley to take.

the ref completely blew the call, and it cost us the game.

Posted by: RonBurgundyandGold | November 28, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I went to the game... and I love to read the comments. So many are griping about the one or two plays that "could have been." Look at the stats of the game: TOP, 1st downs, passing yrds, rushing yrds, etc. Skins didn't win in a single category. How do you win a game with 29 yards rushing???? It wasn't a play or two... Skins played worse and lost. Everyone was making fun of Favre, too - The 41yr old was sick and had a bum ankle, and still stuck it to the Skins! Funny! Skol Vikings!!

Posted by: paolsons | November 28, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The debate will go on forever about whether it was a block in the back or not... the biggest problem is the refs missed obvious penalties in this game.

Seriously, you want to call such an iffy penalty like that and then you can't even call something as blatant as a facemask penalty? That was clear as day. How did everyone notice that yet the refs on the field could not see it? Not a single one.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 28, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I hate block in the back oenalties. These guys are so retarded. They know they should not do it and do it anyways.!!!! He did not even have to touch the guy. Banks was already gone. Hate it. Hate it. HAte it. That guy is a moron. Then D5 underthrows AA. Then AA drops a ball. Cooley drops a ball. Santana drops two and makes a little girl's efffort to batter the ball down on the ensuing INT. Man it makes me mad.If they were consistent, they could be winning so much more. What a bunch of losers I had to back up.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | November 28, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

AAARRRGGGHHHH

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | November 28, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Pro football is fixed. Sports entertainment. The calls went against the Redskins because the league/TV storylines are pushing for a Vikings comeback.
It was not just this call. There were facemask penalties for the Redskins that were overlooked. The Redskins get no homefield advantage ( close calls going your way) because they are alwways on the wrong side of the storyline or the betting line. When Dick Stockton calls the game on FOX, you know the hatchet man is in town and the Redskins will lose--look up the stats. He loves to call games that break against the Redskins.

As long as Redskins fans pack Fed-Ex, the same formula will be applied, close games, Redskins lose some, win some, stay "in the Hunt" until the cold weather comes in, then fan attendance waning can be blamed on the weather (instead of the bad record) this is the formula of the modern NFL. Tight races, keep the losing teams hopes up for a long shot, mathematically still alive--so keep watching--keep consuming...FIXED>

Posted by: DownTownClown | November 29, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Thinker_, could you possibly be ticked off at Vick because he kicked the Deadskins butt? Can't think of another reason to bring him up when everyone is talking about Riley and yesterday's game.

Posted by: joeblotnik49 | November 29, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the game other than a few minutes here and there on Redzone.

Offense to many 3 and outs.

Defense - somebody needs to make a play. Favre runs for a first down are you kidding me.

To many excuses - Riley - you blocked him the back - I guess you didn't learn any thing the 1st time.

Santana Moss - I'm a huge fan but you need to catch that slant - no excuses for that.

Armstrong nice adjustment to catch deep ball but can't drop next pass.

Redskins Redzone performance is horrible - does the other team know what plays the Redskins are running.

3rd down play on last field goal. I believe Armstrong was open but McNabb didn't throw it. Required a good pass. I could be wrong on Armstrong being open.

Offensive line you need to stop giving up negative plays in the run game - even if you get two yards - need to stop giving up two yards.

Posted by: wnbicher | November 29, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

That's gotta hurt.

Posted by: Jerkstore | November 29, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

You guys have a sweet running game.

Posted by: Jerkstore | November 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

When you make a mistake you should be held accountable. Watch what Huggins the basketball coach at West Virginia does when his players make mistakes. He get's in your face as soon as he pulls you out of the game.

Posted by: kenobill2 | November 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenobill2 | November 29, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenobill2 | November 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenobill2 | November 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Can't be too mad at Riley, he was hustling trying to make a block. I'd like to see the guy get some playing time at LB. Lets start finding out what some some of the youngsters can do

Posted by: coparker5 | November 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

we all make mistakes. We didn't play enough to win the game regardless of the penalty...

Brandon Banks is a baller.. but he was giving us great field position all day... and we couldn't even capitalize on those plays.

Dont expect 1 penalty that negates the touchdown to be the culprit. The whole team as a whole should have played together. The D played well.. but O has to tighten up and covert in the red zone.

As for Riley...
dont be too hard on yourself. everyone makes mistakes... and you're not the real reason for the loss... only a small part of it.

Posted by: regxjin | November 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought the call was a bit iffy, but bad and iffy calls are part of the game. Deal with it and find a way to win.

OBTW, that one play did not cost the Redskins the game.

Santana Moss dropping footballs that hit him in the hands is a lot more concerning to me than a questionable call of a block on a return. I don't mean to single out Moss, there is plenty of blame to go around. But, the big problem is the D.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | November 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The refs made too many mistakes in this game and should be held accountable for their decisions. It seems like they have something against Banks. All the fouls against him were ignored and the time when he did break away, they called a bogus penalty. Something should be done about the mistakes the refs are making and especially when they cause a team to lose the game. I sure hope the ref that made that call is financially penalized. Suggestion: get some competent refs!!

Posted by: smithhm12 | November 29, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse