Brennan, Golston among NFL Draft Bored

Not everyone, it turns out, loves the NFL Draft, which may come as depressing news to ESPN, the NFL Network, nfl.com, and the extended Mel Kiper family. Count "Cult of Colt" Brennan and Kedric Golston, a coupla dudes who found themselves hanging out with Dan "Cheeseboy" Steinberg at a recent Caps game, out this weekend.

Brennan told Steinbog:

"I never watch that stuff," Brennan said. "I fell asleep last year. I don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft, to be honest with you, because of my experience. I think what's more important is what happens after the draft. That's what I care about. I just don't have a lot of respect for the NFL draft process. Obviously something's not right, because they make a lot of mistakes, year-in and year-out."

And Golston, like a lot of people, finds that, oh, life is more important:

"The only draft I ever watched was mine. It's so boring. I'll flip it on and off. I mean, four picks take an hour? That's just ridiculous. I've got two kids. I've got a yard to keep up."

By Cindy Boren  |  April 21, 2009; 11:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rock the Vote: Skins and the First-Round Pick
Next: One Way of Crunching the Top 10 Picks

Comments

First Off, who cares what colt brennan thinks?

Posted by: kdjsgreen | April 21, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Which reminds me, I have to do my yard on Friday so I can sit on my bum all weekend to watch the draft!

Posted by: clark202 | April 21, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

You know there's a paucity of real news when we're down to stories about people being bored by the draft.

Gotta love Golston's response, though. This ought to be definitive proof of Brennan's a$$-hat-ness.

"I think the draft is stoopid because I should have been drafted higher (pout, pout)."

Posted by: LarryBud | April 21, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | April 21, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Well that seals it. Colt should start this season.

Colt hates draft = He should start.

Makes sense right?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | April 21, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Which reminds me. Anyone going to the draft 'party' @ redskins field? It's going to be 82 Degrees that day.

I plan on going around 12 noon and leaving around the time the draft starts around 4 or so. I will have a handfull of kids all ranges where they can just run around. It's pretty fun the kids, if you ask me........

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 21, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I guess the fact that Colt wasn't drafted doesn't play a role in his opinion. I could see if Colt were Tom Brady. But, the jury is still out on whether the GM's were right or wrong about him.

Hey Colt. Making a roster as the emergency QB doesn't mean the draft is a sham. Do something first. Then maybe your opinion will count.

If he's preparing taxes at H&R Block next year, then I guess folks were right about him.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

WOW I waited all morning for a new fresh post and this is what I get. Colt and Golston don't like the draft. That makes my day. F*ck yeah!!!!

Posted by: FedorEm | April 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you RI. You can't get this kid of reporting anywhere else!

Posted by: CTSkins | April 21, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadanimal | April 21, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

WIll Wrote: "I can see why they wouldn't be thrilled with the draft. Its all about the potential hiring of your replacement. I wouldn't want to focus on that either. Imagine if our respective professions and companies got together once a year to evaluate, wine & dine, & ultimately hire younger versions of us. It would kinda suck."

Hey Will, I am a lawyer at a firm, and we do just that. It's called the summer associate program. Bring in top law students, wine and dine them, then decide whose better than the current attorneys. And, yes, it does suck!

Posted by: MadeRED | April 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

This man needs to get his head on straight. There is *NOTHING* more important than the NFL draft. Nothing.

Moron.

Posted by: SonofNero | April 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

What's with all the Colt hate? Yea, the Cult of Colt is annoying as hell, but don't rag on the guy because of that. He's a good back-up prospect. Let him be fired up about being passed on.

Posted by: psps23 | April 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Which reminds me. Anyone going to the draft 'party' @ redskins field?

Its a bit far to drive from Atlanta but it sounds like a fun time. I mean really, when we trade up for Sanchez & my world comes crashing down around me, I'd rather be surrounded by people who feel my pain. Not by someone who wants me to peel my shattered psyche off the floor & take the trash out.

Posted by: will_ga | April 21, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

2009 - Zorn leads Skins to playoffs
Snyder can't very well fire Zorn after a deep run into the playoffs

2010 - Redskins fire Zorn as the Redskins come off a frustrating loss to go to 7-6, but are still very much in contention for a playoff spot. Terry Robiskie named interim coach.

Sound familiar?

Posted by: CTSkins | April 21, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | April 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hate the monthly job fairs we have at Burger King.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 21, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you can summarize their quotes up like this:

"Well, you see, because we weren't low round drafted guys expecting a big payday, we think the whole process sucks, which means if we were expecting a truck load of loot, we'd give a care about the draft."

"Plus, there is the troubling issue that we are on a team that might draft somebody (BJ Raji-M Sanchez) who'd make us unemployed and all non-void by the end of two-a-days in August."

"So it's not that we think the draft sucks, it's just that for a lot of guys, the draft also can mean unemployment."

'Cuz that's something else that also happens after the draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

here we go again.

Posted by: dadanimal

AS IF a guy like Shanahan would EVER work for Snyderato.

Posted by: SonofNero | April 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow never has a post shamed me as much as this one. Maybe I should get one of these afformentioned "lives" everyone keeps talking about. Till then I'll use the NFL draft as reason #213 to drink during the day on saturday.

Posted by: Gweez | April 21, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED

Um, Colt was drafted in the 6th.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 21, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Someone in the last thread commented that they'd prefer Cowher over Shannahan. I would too just to watch the Jaw spit all over Danny's face.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | April 21, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

AS IF a guy like Shanahan would EVER work for Snyderato.

Posted by: SonofNero | April 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

$7m a year and complete control over all football operations says he will. See Spurrier, Marty, Gibbs (although Spurrier didn't want control over personnel decisions due to apathy)

Posted by: CTSkins | April 21, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

To colt's comment, I've thought for a long time they should put a rookie cap in and it shouldn't be huge dollars either, some sort of prorated scale that ends with if you're drafted in the 6th or 7th rounds you get a minimum deal. Every player drafted in rounds 1-4 gets a three year deal at a slotted pay scale, like top 5 get a certain amount, 5-15 another amount, 15-25 another and so on, similar to the NBA system, and rounds 5-7 get a 2 year deal. Its just stupid that a guy like Alex Smith makes the money he is and will probably be out of the league in a year. The whole point of the draft is to create parity and give the worst teams shots at the supposed best players, they shouldn't get double killed if their already bad, whiff on the pick and have hundreds of millions of dollars then tied up in a bad player. Plus after three years you know if the guy can play or not and then you can reward him with the big fat contract.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 21, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

*Poking new post with a stick*

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 21, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Um, Colt was drafted in the 6th. "

The post should have read, Colt wasn't drafted [high]. Not undrafted entirely. Colt is not exactly in a position to comment on the draft process since he hasn't done anything in a pro game yet.

Didn't mean to ruffle the CULT Brennan crew...but I think the notion is obvious. People who didn't benefit from the draft, hate it. Go figure.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

So, let me get this right. Snyder is so sure that the team is going to do poorly this year that he is already lining up his next coach? Wow. I thought the Dan was all about winning but it sounds like he's writing off the season. Ah well, Jim Zorn, we've all been Mr. Right Now and not Mr. Right - you learn to accept it. Maybe Holmgren will un-retire and you can be an assistant for him when comes back to coach the Redskins after Snyder fires Shanahan after two miserable seasons. If you put all of this to music, it really makes a good little tune.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 21, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

QUICK POLL:

Will you watch the draft on Sunday (at least until the Skins select someone)?

Me: No

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 21, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

...." reason #213 to drink during the day on saturday."

Barely. The stupid thing doesn't start till 4. I miss the noon start. By that time, I'll be having an entree of xanax with an appetizer of percocet washed down with a quart of jim beam.

Posted by: will_ga | April 21, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This is gonna be a verrrrry long week...

Posted by: edvar | April 21, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

*Poking new post with a stick*

Posted by: 4thFloor

LMAO

Because - is it dead? Or was that a pulse I just detected?

Posted by: SonofNero | April 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

They could combine DNA from Knute Rockney, Vince Lombardi, Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh, and Chuck Norris to make the ultimate super coach with a sweet beard and it wouldn't matter one damn bit.

Until there is patience a the top and a long term plan is put in place this team will continue to wallow in mediocrity.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 21, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

*Poking new post with a stick*

Posted by: 4thFloor

LMAO

Because - is it dead? Or was that a pulse I just detected?

Posted by: SonofNero | April 21, 2009 11:59 AM

My computer wouldn't refresh. I thought the new post went a whole half hour with out anyone posting. So I had to poke the blog on my computer with a stick....and viola! All the posts I weren't getting magically appeared.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

'...Will you watch the draft on Sunday?'

In all honesty: yeah

The NFL Network is better than ESPN.

Yes: I'm a loser who has no life, but hey, unlike Kedric Golston, I cut my lawn and raise my kids all year long.

So giving up two days for football ain't so bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If you dont watch the draft you are not a football fan... unless you have a life and have something better to do... or if you find a good movie on TNT... or you sleep in...

Posted by: alex35332 | April 21, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

etrod

is the sweet beard for the bionic head coach non-negotiable?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 21, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Adam Schefter, though?? He's missing the whole offseason. I guess money is the end all of all as it would seems.

I know he is going to ESP of N, but I just can't see it. They don't seem like a good fit. Adam seems more professional looking. Like he is reporting for CNBC or something.

I think NFL Network should replace Schefter with Mark Maske. He is a very good NFL Insider.

Whaddaya Think Cindy?

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

So giving up two days for football ain't so bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 21, 2009 12:09 PM

Plus, the kids will be asleep by the time the Skins pick on Saturday (hopefully! do not trade up!)

Posted by: CTSkins | April 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I say if the salary cap is thrown out the window next year , the Skins trade all draft picks for the next five years, and take J. Smith, Curry, Maclin AND OF COURSE, the Sanchez, and just fill all the rest of the upcoming needs with unbridled NY Yankee free agent abandon, including stealing Shanahan from the Cowboys, a free seven course meal to all Redskin season ticket holders, and the bailing out of Six Flags from bankruptcy by the Federal government...

Posted by: frak | April 21, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

This is gonna be a verrrrry long week...

Posted by: edvar

Not for me

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I havent had a shower since sunday.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | April 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

*Poking new post with a stick*

Posted by: 4thFloor

__________________________

That was damn funny, boy. This post might as well be a dead animal...

Posted by: chasgiffen | April 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | April 21, 2009 11:30 AM

you have to be at least a 5th round pick to work at H&R Block

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

PLayers don't think like fans

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 21, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm

It's real Democracy here. If you got something important...Feel free to post it. No?

Didn't think so.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Moron.

Posted by: SonofNero

You get it. The get-a-lifers were tweaked by some actual ballers and didn't get it. Instead they went to default shoot the messenger mode.

These guys area little like crack addicts. They can't accept there isn't gonna be a crack delivery every few hours, and blame the delivery boy when their shipment doesn't arrive.

So read a book, watch a movie, go to a play, call a loved one, help the helpless, feed the blind, lead a hungry man across the street, cure Prickly Heat, for Gods sakes do something.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Not that Colt has a chip on his shoulder or anything...

And Golston is hilarious!~

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think some of you are more enthusiastic about the draft than Vinny Cerrato.

It's just calling of names - that's it.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: AllThatSkins | April 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan is the answer.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 21, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Colt has a reason to noy care for the draft-he was picked in the 6th round and played well in pre-season and what did he get? A chance to show what he could do after the season was lost? NO! Not even a game! Zorn said he wanted Colt so Danny and Vinny let him have the pick but they said no to his playing! The front office is ruined. If we move up and pick Sanchez, that it! I'm gonna be a Chargers fan and I have been a skin's fan since 1960!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | April 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more...watching more than 20 minutes of the draft is insane. People need to get a life!

Posted by: dantonio98 | April 22, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Brennan is a smart kid. Only idiots sit around all day and watch the draft. Overpaid kids getting paid more than veterans is bad business.

Posted by: jercha | April 22, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The NFL Draft is better than the Pro Bowl, the Hall of Fame Game, and Pre-Season. Why wouldn't you watch at least the first 2-3 rounds?

I am a football fan, not just a Redskins fan, so pardon me if the draft is a big deal to me.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 22, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This was a useless article. The only veiled point was to discredit Brennan. JLC will diss Brennan every chance he gets and now its come to this. JLC should write for a tabloid. Let someone with something legitimate to say replace him.

Posted by: jgn123 | April 22, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

At this point, Colt is Babe Laufenberg. If he develops into more, great, but I don't think he's got the arm. And that's why he went in the seventh round.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | April 22, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse