Brennan Seeks Balance with His Style of Play

Colt Brennan won over Redskins fans with his play last year in the preseason, and though he remains a project and the third quarterback on Washington's depth chart, the former Hawaii star has set his sights on another big preseason.

Brennan was taken in the sixth round of the NFL draft last year by Washington, higher than many pundits had the record-setting college quarterback rated.
But during limited playing time in the preseason, Brennan, who was coming off hip surgery, showed flashes of the playmaking ability that had made him so successful in college - albeit against many fringe defensive players.

This year Brennan is expected to get more of an opportunity as he battles the aging Todd Collins for the Redskins backup quarterback role.

"Todd Collins, he kind of reminds me a little of Brett Favre," Brennan said. "They talk about how old he is and how he's been in the league for a long time but he doesn't want to give it up. He's a tough competitor who knows what he's doing and has a lot of confidence, so it's not easy. And you've got to go out there and what it comes down to is the preseason and how we all measure up and do in the preseason. The better you do the better chance you've got at moving up."

Brennan has an unorthodox sidearm throwing motion and is considered undersized for a quarterback, though the Redskins list him generously at 6-foot-3. But the 25-year-old has displayed the confidence teams look for in a quarterback and has shown his playmaking instincts. Brennan said as he gets more comfortable in the system, he is learning to strike a balance between playing his own style and being successful in the offense.

"Obviously you want to do what the coaches tell you because that's what they're asking for and that's what you've got to," Brennan said. "For me, though, I think you've got to play the game. You look at me, Todd and Jason [Campbell], I mean that's three pretty diverse quarterbacks, there are not very many similarities, but we're all being asked to play the game the same way. So I think... what it comes down to is what do you have success with? And I think that if I ever do something with my style that hurts the team, that hurts the offense and what they're doing then obviously I gotta change that and know not to do that. But if I get a chance to make a play and do kind of what I do and it benefits the team, helps the team, then you got to know how to balance those right times out."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 10, 2009; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PBA Eagerly Awaits Smoot
Next: Waiting for WR Picture to Come Into Focus

Comments

Well done, Paul. This was another fine read, insightful and without the taint of bias. The quality of writing has really gone up around here in the past week or so. I no longer wince at the headlines.

Props where props are apropos!

Posted by: McMetal | June 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins reminds me of Brett Favre too.

...minus the strong arm, MVPs, Super Bowl win, number of consecutive starts, and overall success as a starting QB in the NFL.

...but yeah, other than those things, I can definitely see it...

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to understand how America's most popular sport has a city count like this:

# Teams City

0 LA - media capital
1 Fartville, WI
2 Bay Area - alt life style capital

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 10, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Worse than that. He's anti-Fed. He went to jail for carrying a gun into the Federal Reserve to try to shoot up some of the Governors. How whack can you get that you're rattled by a bunch of monetary policy makers? "Ben Bernanke is ruining my life." Isn't that a Lyndon Larouche crusade, too?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse
---
Yes he was crazy anti fed, it was pre-bernake I think. Don't get me started on Larouche...

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"... has set his sights on another big preseason. ..."

I don't even know where to begin.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 3:52 PM |

1981 was pre-Bernanke, pre-Greenspan. It was the golden days of Volker, tightening money and bringing down inflation. I remember getting a 13.5% mortgage. Fortunately, I've refinanced a few times.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"... You look at me, Todd and Jason [Campbell], I mean that's three pretty diverse quarterbacks, there are not very many similarities, but we're all being asked to play the game the same way. So I think... what it comes down to is what do you have success with? ..."

What it comes down to is the flirting with Jay Culter and Mark Sanchez, and the bringing in of Chase Daniels.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Colt is on the bench and will stay there. He'll never get an opportunity to show he can play at this level in the regular season in DC, barring a rash of injuries.

So he'll be looking elsewhere for a chance in 2010.

I don't know if Colt is any good and last year's preseason didn't answer anything. I have no problem with his throwing motion, its whether he is completing his passes that matters.

But to me, Campbell is a good QB and its his job. No ifs ands or Colts

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else going to catch hell leaving DC today?

I NEED THE 14TH ST. BRIDGE!

dammit.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Props where props are apropos!

Posted by: McMetal | June 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ditto...But I'm sure cork would disagree

Posted by: jumbo5383 | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Whats the over under of Chase Daniels being on any NFL roster at the start of the season?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM

I don't think you can have an over/under on a yes/no proposition. It has to be a scalable proposition in order to set an over/under on betting.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM

I'ma go with 35%

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

dcsween
Ok give me a % then or a liklihood or whatev.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Red, 14th will be open in just a few.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

From Colt's comments it sounds like he is not buying in to what Zorn is asking him to do. It sounds like he is asking the coaches to let him just play and quit screwing with his mechanics and see what happens because he has been successful in the past.

Also, am I the only one who is sick of having Todd Collins around? He was obviously a system QB who is making WAY too much money. I would be just fine with Colt being the #2 and Daniel being the #3. We would have young talent and more room under the cap. Also, I just don't believe that Collins will have successs in this offense.

Posted by: NCMatt1 | June 10, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

lol, sween makes mountains out of mole hills... has a knack for complicating the obvious.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

My guess is if Todd does stink it up in pre-season we try and get him to Weird Al's team *whoever it is.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If Colt is good, would the skins court Cutler and Sanchez?

Posted by: abxinc | June 10, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If Colt is good, would the skins court Cutler and Sanchez?

Posted by: abxinc | June 10, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It was not the skins courting Cut it was Snyder. Who also liked Jeff George over Brad Johnson.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan NEVER won me over.

that other little chubby QB we signed this year will be better

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Chase Daniels will be on the Skins roster this coming season ... and edge out The Todd.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

thanks, 4-12.

I guess I'll hang on RI for a few... although Memorial Bridge wold've been okay as well.

I guessing the dude had to be German -- some of in Deutchland are in serious denial that the SLAUGHTER of 6 million people took place.

How do you controvert 6 million deaths?

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers to the family of officer Johns...

Posted by: 4-12 | June 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth, you're from the south, right?

If so, don't you mean to say "that other little chubby QB (bless his heart) we signed this year will be better"

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

According to Snyder:

AT4 Rocket Launcher = Jeff George

Water Pistol = Brad Johnson

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't like to kill animals or humans, but i've won awards for marksmanship. Killing animals and eating them , indian style, though. is far preferable than eating commodity factory-meat. Fishing in the Potomac used to be the bomb, but eveything has grown so toxic , who can eat like a normal indian?? If you're going to eat anything, eat Green Fields vegetarian yuppies, they're great smoked and will keep if properly...

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

yikes.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Collins shuld be traded for a back up guard or center or (because Vinnie is the GM) just released before the regular season begins. Vinnie, its not that hard, get it done.

If Jason goes down, the skins will have a lottery season regardless and then can draft a real franchise quarterback next year. JC is not the answer...

Posted by: oddjob2 | June 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

i'd be pissed if even a drop of water from the Potomac River were to hit me

people actually fish there still? i saw people swimming in it last summer, i thought i'd puke just watching it.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 4:36 PM

What has this thread have to do with Redskins football? You can kill your soul if you want, I care less but, look for another blog to post your nonsense. I will recommend the Cowboys blog.

Posted by: abxinc | June 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

abxinc

clue, as in get a..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, Colt is a winner. He sees the field well, has the intangibles. I'd personally love to see him as #2. Let the nay saying begin!

Posted by: bostskin | June 10, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, listen up guys: you see, a few years back, Colt Brennan fingered me at a Halloween party... I think he should be our starting QB!

Posted by: noseman4681 | June 10, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"Also, am I the only one who is sick of having Todd Collins around? He was obviously a system QB who is making WAY too much money. I would be just fine with Colt being the #2 and Daniel being the #3. We would have young talent and more room under the cap. Also, I just don't believe that Collins will have success in this offense.Posted by: NCMatt1"

Colt Brennan's more of a system QB than Collins. And Daniels is as much a product of a spread college offense as Brennan. Collins is actually the most proven of the three, and probably the best equipped for an actual NFL regular season game.

But you're correct, he doesn't seem to think much of Zorn's offense. And he is really old.

If only youth were a substitute for ability, we'd have a really good backup QB corps.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

========================================
Pretty high percentage that he's on a team, so in a way, I hope the skins don't play him in the preseason so that he can clear wavers and get signed to the practice squad. A lot of people caught the Mizzo games over the past two years, he makes guys like Saunders and Martz salivate, despite the fact it was the spread O. If Chucky was still coaching, I'd bet he'd want Daniels on his squad.

Posted by: clark202 | June 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I know it was only preaseason against backups and guys working at Home Depot now, but I think Colt has more of the ability to "make someting out of nothing" than Campbell. He seems to have more moxie. I'd like to see him beat out Collins for the #2 spot.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 10, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

WOW

Posted by: liasdavis | June 10, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

My view on our QB situation should be..whoever plays the best in Pre-Season, should win the starting job. TC is old and just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB. Colt needs to learn the transition of being a NFL QB. JC lacks consistancy in his long and short throws....
If he is to be a franchise QB, he has to improve in those areas! Other than that.....GO Skins!!!!

Posted by: liasdavis | June 10, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

If I ran the team Collins would be out this season with an offer to coach QB's. I'd keep Campbell at one, with Brennan at number two with the promise of potentially starting next year or at the end of this year if things go South. I'd keep Daniel at number three. I'd bring in another young guy for the developmental roster with a few receivers for him to practice with every day. I would make a steady pipeline of QB's from developmental roster, to number three, and so forth. This team used to have a steady stream of QB's and they traded a few. Remember Schroeder for Lachey? Remember Stan Humphries to San Diego? They've got a coach that understands the QB position and they should use that for all it's worth.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 10, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I never saw Colt in the preseason but if he has a sidearm throwing motion - I would assume that many of his throws would be knocked down by the first stringers. I've noticed that most QB's often don't throw higher than the Defensive linemen's head.

Posted by: charley42 | June 10, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Two points. The first is that when Collins was asked to step in and produce, he did better than most number 2 QB's usually do. The second is that Colt played well when he was given a chance to play, which is really the only fair way to judge any player when all is said and done. You continue evaluating him by giving him some playing time against better competition in the preseason and see if he continues to do well or if he flops. Then the talk about making him the #2 QB or cutting him becomes more appropriate.

Posted by: kenboy1 | June 11, 2009 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan is the answer. Cork is Jason LaCanfora.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 11, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

i still see bias, where is the rushing attack ranked last year? give credit where its due instead of painting it as a complete failure of a first year offense.

Posted by: follybeach | June 11, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a guy that wants to do things his way. I guess things like mechanics, footwork etc... don't really matter if you get the result huh.. You go gun-slinger. I agree with a lot of the comments that TC would be more beneficial to us is he wasn't on our roster. If Colt and Chase (awesome qb names) perform well during the preseason then TC must go. I wonder if we could even get anything for him in a trade?? Problem is the JC needs all the practice he can get to work on his consistency issues as well as work in all the 2nd year 'new' receivers we have.

Posted by: MaxnDC | June 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

colt is a very good quarter back and is a nice safety net for the time being... hopefully daniels will end up on the practice squad then be the 3rd guy next year after collins' contract is over...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | June 11, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Exactly Colt, you can coach football plays, but you can't coach the game.

Posted by: ElYeah | June 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Who is this Paul fella?

Posted by: laxpro95 | June 11, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Want a franchise QB??? Colt Brennan will be IT. You laugh...how long were Brady, Kurt, Steve Young, Montana on the bench???
Wait and see mo fos.