Arlington school earns $10,000 NFL fitness grant

By Rick Maese

As part of the NFL's "Play 60" health and wellness campaign, Redskins running back Clinton Portis, linebacker Brian Orakpo and Tanya Snyder, wife of owner, Dan Snyder, visited Claremont Immersion Elementary Tuesday to present the school with a $10,000 check for health and wellness programming and equipment.

The Arlington school is one of 34 across the country to earn such a grant. More than 5,500 schools nation-wide participated in a contest by planning "Back to Football Friday" events earlier in the school year. Claremont Immersion had to answer essay questions and submit photos from its event.

"It is just so exciting to have a school step up and make such a difference in all of these kids' lives, in the name of health and fitness and in the world of football as well," said Tanya Snyder.

Portis and Orakpo spoke with the children about the importance of a healthy and active lifestyle. The players led the students through 60 minutes of exercise in the "Ultimate NFL Physical Education Class," a program that's part of the league's "Play 60" initiative.

"Just seeing the excitement of these kids. Sitting there, looking around, just realizing -- having kids of my own, one day they're going to have the same opportunity, I hope," Portis said. "It's always exciting to be around kids."

"Just have fun with the little guys and just preach how important it is to stay healthy and be active in the community," Orakpo said.

By Rick Maese  | November 9, 2010; 1:13 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo, Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb: "Let's move on"
Next: Clinton Portis sore after full-speed workout

Comments

gotta be on your toes to keep up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Going back to the CP Post. JReid states that Portis has missed half of the season. WTF?? Does he know how to add? He has missed roughly a quarter of the season, not half.

Activate the JAmes RB dude and let Torrain play. Get CP in there. Cut Chad when Banks comes back. Championship.

Pencil it in!

(Side note - Does an Arlington County School *really* need $10K? Or should they had found a way to push this $$ to a DC School or PG County School?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The Arlington school is one of 34 across the country to earn such a grant.

Is that '34' across or 3-4?

See?: they are teaching kids in school to play the 3-4 defense.

Young female teachers worry that some boys spend too much time studying their gaps to succeed in class.

It's no wonder that they can't read.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Football Insider Live: Eagles preview

Barry Svrluga: We are trying to figure out why there are no statistics from this past Sunday's redskin game.

Dan Steinberg: Even without statistics, though, we can say the offense performed as well as it did the week before when it performed poorly.

LaVar: All I know is that I sat in front of the flat screen Sunday waiting for a game just like you're reading this post looking for a punchline.

And there isn't one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 12:59 PM |

Hey, at least Svrl is wearing a tie. Riddle me this - how is it that a surname can start off with 4 consonants? Where are you now, Joe Btfsplk?

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The Arlington school is one of 34 across the country to earn such a grant.

Is that '34' across or 3-4?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 1:22 PM |

Didya ever think it might be a clue for "34 across" in a Xword puzzle?

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????????

Mr. Straight-Pockets himself, the wife of Danny the midget billionaire and 'Sakpo (nothing to say on him) have the nerve to have their names associated with 10k???

Before you "It's the thought that counts" morons chirp, let's put this in perspective.

Passing on 10k to an elementary school's PE department is probably akin to each of us getting media pub for donating a dollar to our favorite and most deserving campaign.

I would personally be humiliated and feel compelled to - at minimum - match that amount out of my own pocket.

Please keep in mind that school systems are essentially small governments within the local governments and that 10k will be eaten up by administrative costs and planning councils before dollar 1 is put toward those kids.

I'd rather hear more about Hayney's 4 million dollar yacht that Danny bought him or the CP's most recent vehicle purchase than this pathetic effort.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

570 in the morning, 980 in the afternoon.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 12:49 PM |

Dude - I just chugged a nice warm glass of yellow juice and I feel great. It had a big head of foam.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Personal,

Dude please know what your talking about before you put someone down, the players and Snyders wife did not give the money to the school out of there pockets. They presented the check to the school on behalf of the NFL, so if you want to put someone down put down the NFL for being cheap.

If 34 schools across the country got the grant then thats 34,000 so while thats nothing to the NFL I'm sure this is not the only thing they do for charity.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

WTF is wrong here. 20 min have elapsed and there has been no new thread.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

4th, you're splitting hairs... Portis has missed four out of eight games so far, or half the games played this season.

C'mon, brother, there are sooooo many other things for you to get your panties in a wad about.

Speaking of which, panties.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 9, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 1:30 PM

Dude, it's the NFL that gave the $$$ and the Team handing it out. I am sure these people give, but in what way, we don't know. And how much should someone give is debateable. And sometimes your time is very meaningful.

That being said, the NFL could've gave out a bigger chunk. But the PE department can still buy tons of things. New Equipment. Field Upgrades. Free Gym Wear. Etc.

There should be no administrative costs, unless they have to put in the generic 'General Fund'. Yes the same fund that DC MAyor Adrian Fenty stole from to keep the budget balanced while he was the Mayor. Then that would be a travesty.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I fixed your User ID for ya! You're welcome!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 12:34 PM |

Dude - when Call of Duty names a game after you I might start to think about letting you fix something.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I knew the idiots that cannot read would poke their little heads out:

I KNOW THIS CAME FROM THE NFL.

I never said gave, I said "associated with".

Have Dr. Gooddell come and present this pittance. My point was that these folks who make this amount in a day being asked to present this is just really poor. It wouldn't sit right with me and I'd be compelled to add to it personally.

Reading is fundamental. Try it out. Cheers.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

NAte, it's how one person reads it:

"Running back Clinton Portis, who has missed half the season because of an injury, "

To 4th, a season = 16 games. That's how I read it and reread it after your comment.

Splitting hairs would be when some gets bashed for using the word 'irregardless' or doesn't put I before E, accept after C....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Portis back in the lineup.

iH8's gameplan:

1. Pound it early with Portis/Torain.

2. Use the play action on 2nd and short.

3. CP in on third and long.

4. James Davis and Clinton get the ball in the 2nd half, busting 15-20 yard runs.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Spoken like a true non Northern VA a-hole... hate, hate, hate Virginia ALL THE TIME.... MAN!!! Is it ourfault that the area is better than most in the DMV? Even our "hoods" are hood rich...

Every single black person from DC or PG County always has something sideways to say about NOVA... Maybe if they got their paper up and got off the damn government tit they could afford to live there.

"Why a [ninja] always hate what he can't have? Why I can't come through in the pecan Jag?" - Jadakiss

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, panties.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 9, 2010 1:39 PM |

Pansies also.

Cool crisp mornings are a clear signal that it's pansy planting time just about everywhere. If you don't have much experience with these colorful “tigers” of the cool season ...

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

gotta be on your toes to keep up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 1:21 PM |

Gotta be on V1agra to keep it up, no?

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 1:57 PM |

NOVA is? I always thought the bridge from my 'hood led to the Georgetown overflow parking lot.

All of NOVA is Manassas to me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I fixed your User ID for ya! You're welcome!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 12:34 PM |

Posted by: BrokeBackOps | November 9, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I think I'd rather share the User ID of a Redskin great that is immortalized in Canton than a stupid game that'll be obsolite in a couple years. And you don't have to 'let me fix' anything, go find a boyscout for that. Enjoy your 'camping trip'!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

LMAO @ Red. You had me going on that one.....

I don't think the Jada qoute is relevant here.

I can see why the Arlinton County School won. They were prob the only elementary school (save Fairfax county schools) who knew how to write essay answers....

I was just stating a question. Left it open-ended (I thought).

The problem with DC and PG schools are the parents...STAMPED....The majority just don't give a freak...I know since I have been on the PTA board on schools in the PG Hoods recently...

(Side note: I am scared to live in VA to be honest, next to SouthEast. You got cops, gangs that'll cut you with machetes, and one of the highest cost of livings in the whole east coast. Plus Traffic and Gas. No Thank you, but I won't be in P.G. my whole adult life either)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone want to talk football?

Or is it grammar Nazi and Bama day?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

2. Use the play action on 2nd and short.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's your chance PlayAction, don't let us down! That's funny, I didn't know you were on the active roster! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone want to talk football?

Or is it grammar Nazi and Bama day?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 2:10 PM

Dammit...I'm missing the non-football talk day? That's my favorite day! I hate work.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Or is it grammar Nazi and Bama day?

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 2:10 PM

It's Tuesday.

The Media is still focused on the McNabb benching.

No game to talk about last Sunday.

I think we need a little blog fight to help the time past, no?

And RedDMV has been MIA for over a month, so we haven't had alot of combative folks on, so.....need to take advantage while he is here because tomm isn't promised for bamas like him.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:08 PM |

You'd rather live in Pig County than Arlington? Dude, you are a moron on almost every level.

I love how people in crappy areas always have a justification for living in a crappy area.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I think we need a little blog fight to help the time past, no?

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:15 PM

I vote for Monk vs. BlackBag on the first card.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

never said gave, I said "associated with".

Reading is fundamental. Try it out. Cheers.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

-----

Have you given even $1 to that cause?

If not, then who are you to judge?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 9, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Monk vs. BlackBag on the first card.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:18 PM

These two aren't capable of a blog fight. Need men for that. These two are purse swingers. "I diddled your dead mom." "Your posts are boring to me." That sort of stuff.

Can't have a blog fight without RedDMV or Scamp.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 2:08 PM |

The diff is that I had my screen name long before COD came out with their game. Any moron can pick the name of a Skin HOFer years after his career is over as his handle. Just ask Diesel44 about this.

And Diesel44 is still trying to sound like he has a "high football IQ."

Sane as it ever was, I suppose.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 16, 2010 8:12 PM |

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I knew the idiots that cannot read would poke their little heads ... .

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Who you callin' an idiot? My Wonderlick was 114! Donny Mac

Posted by: nova_g_man | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

AH92 was originally scheduled to appear as well, but this idea was soon vetoed by Old Coach Shanny -- who insisted that Haynesworth first pass a conditioning test before ever being allowed to appear before these impressionable youngsters and talk about the benefits of staying healthy, fit and active.

To his credit Haynesworth started to take the test, but soon had to excuse himself -- citing a call of nature -- and failed to return in time to complete the second half of the exam.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Duh, I meen 14.

Posted by: nova_g_man | November 9, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 2:17 PM

Please point to me where I said I Looooove to live in PG County. I am here by force. (Got put out of my apartment due to gentrification of my NorthWest DC Neighborhood). I just I live there at this moment.

I said I am scared to live in VA, after SouthEast. I never said PG is better.

Like you said above:

"Reading is fundamental. Try it out. Cheers."

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth has another huge game.

I think we win this one.

We shut out Jackson and Maclin last time, let's have a repeat.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Depending on when your tree got outta europe, your grammar coulda been a Nazi.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:08 PM |

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 9, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse
_________

I've lived in SE, PG, and Arlington over the years. Definitely agree w/ your choice of Arlington.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 9, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

let's have a repeat.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 2:32 PM

Vick gets sent back to the vetinarian...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody see the hilarious footage of 13 year old Andy Reid participating in a Pass, Punt, and Kick competition in 1971 during the Beagles' game Sunday? Dude was so much bigger than all the other kids in the competition...his rear end was at the level of the kid's chest standing in line behind him. Kind of looked like Kelli Johnson interviewing Brandon Banks.
They showed him make his throw. I think Kelli could throw better than him. It was the funniest thing on TV all weekend.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 9, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The Media is still focused on the McNabb benching.

Media with microphones upraised:
So Donnie...

...are you finished?

McNabb frustrated: Can we move on?

Media: Move on?

Sure.

All you have to do is out play Mike Vick.

You out play Vick, we move on.

You don't out play Vick, we move in for the kill.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The really weird part about that tape, Coleman, is when he turns around and actually EATS the kid behind him! Freaky!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"I diddled your dead mom." "Your posts are boring to me." That sort of stuff.

Can't have a blog fight without RedDMV or Scamp.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM

At least with the low-brow insult fights you can pick up right where the blog fight is at...I usually have no idea what Red, scamp and some others are usually going off about by the time I get on. Entertaining is entertaining...to each his own I guess. I do know dead mom jokes are off limits...the jury is still out on dead dog jokes...at least poopy thinks so.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

just looked at the NFL standings. The top 14 teams are all within 1 game, with W/L records of 6-2, 6-3 or 5-3.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Can't have a blog fight without RedDMV or Scamp.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM |

"I diddled your dead mom"? That's exactly the kind of thing that RedDMV would post. It's the thought of someone with the mind of a 11 year-old. Stinging retorts are where you take someone's words and use them against them. Like the following exchange:

Except for me, of course. I was in disguise.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 5, 2010 9:04 PM |

Too bad your posts aren't in disguise. That way we wouldn't recognize them for the crap that they are.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 6, 2010 6:18 PM |

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 9, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with the RI crew here. A haiku challenge was put out this morning involving Dallass and suckery and nobody stepped up. Used to be we would have 30-50 haiku's up in this mofo. What a sorry blog this is becoming.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

We need Portis back. We shouldn't rush it we need Portus healthy. The offense sucks without Portis.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

2 things:

1) Panties.
2) "Running back Clinton Portis, who has missed half the season because of an injury,"........eight games played, he's missed four. Yup 4th, that's pretty much the definition of "half" even to us non-maths peeps.
3) See #1.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 9, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts from watching last nights game. While I despise Terrell Owens, we should have signed him without question. Secondly, even though he is a scumbag we should have traded for Roethlisberger over McNabb. More accurate, younger and more durable. Still making plays while under constant pressure. It is sickening to think we are probably going to be back in the market for a qb at year end.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 9, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

just looked at the NFL standings

The best teams are in the AFC.

And the AFC will lose the Super Bowl.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

2 things:

1) Panties.
3) See #1.

Posted by: 4-12

Co-sign on panties.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | November 9, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackBagOps | November 6, 2010 6:18 PM |

See what I mean? "Your posts are boring to me." Swinging a purse wildly in the air and connecting with nothing.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 9, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dude the Steelers would have never traded Big Ben, what are you even talking about. You act like we had a choice between McNabb and Benn and we chose Mcnabb.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:44 PM |

Don't feel bad PlayAction, I usually have no idea what I'm going off about even when I started it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Or this:

BlackBagOps = Someone who's on a mission to find a new purse for his mom, so she can look trendy while buying him his new video game.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 9, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 9, 2010 2:44 PM |

Gotta get 4 wins against the remaining 6 NFC teams and split with the two AFC teams to have a shot for the playoffs.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

But this time around, we go into what is a great market.

We can flip our alleged 'elite' quarterback (and AH) into picks no matter how he plays for the final 8 games.

We can use a #1 on a quarterback and the flipped for picks on interior offensive lineman (c/g/rt).

Plus, we have a coach in Shanahan who has an excellent offensive system, so the rookie q-back will be properly trained.

What folks must see is that increasingly, very able young quarterbacks are coming out of colleges that run NFL-lite offensive systems.

There are three kids to choose from who can start on day one next year (Luck, Mallett, Locker).

The whole situation has 'WIN' written all over it if you ask me.

But again, no one is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Monk vs. BlackBag on the first card.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 2:18 PM

Can't have a blog fight without RedDMV or Scamp.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 9, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok, first of all I apologized for the crack about your mom, I didn't know she was dead and I immediately sent out an apology, naturally you missed it, or chose not to read it!

Secondly, it's not 'purse swingers', it's 'European Shoulder Bag Swingers', get it right!!!

Thirdly, that's about it. I like the word third cause it rhymes with turd!!! Sorry if some people can't get my low-brow humor, maybe I should bring it up from a 2nd grade level to their 3rd grade level!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Jerry's face is stuck

The ginger kid takes over

Parcells is laughing

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I worked hard on my haiku, go back and look. I think I even rhymed it too!!!

I think there were only like 2 or 3 of us that completed the assignment and participated, everyone else was playing with themselves or something.

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse