Blitzing out the 3-4 defense: an inside story

There has been much speculation around the Redskins' shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defensive scheme this season, and some of that has been centered around the role of the outside linebackers Brian Orakpo and Lorenzo Alexander and how they might adapt to new positions.

One thing that has been apparent in the early days of training camp, however, is that this scheme also brings at least one major new wrinkle to the inside linebacker position: blitzing.

Linebackers Coach Lou Spanos didn't offer much detail into the scheme, only to say the linebackers must be multi-faceted. "Both inside backers are multi-talented," Spanos said. "They have to be able to play the run and also blitz and also play the coverage."

Pro Bowler London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh have both been seen charging up the middle during team drills during camp, and several members of the defense said it's an indication of an aggressive scheme that is not afraid to blitz from any angle or position.

The hope, players said, is that offense will not be able to key just on outside linebackers and must be ready for a pass rush from any part of the field.

"This defensive scheme, we've got a bunch of different blitzes where everybody is coming -- the corners, safeties, linebackers," Orakpo said. "London and Rocky are going to have a lot more blitzing responsibility than they ever have before, and that's what keeps the offenses on their toes."

For Fletcher, it has been at least half a decade since he has had a prominent role in blitz packages, he said. Rushing the quarterback is not foreign to Fletcher; he had a career high 5.5 sacks in 2000 with St.Louis and racked up 19 over the next six seasons. Last season, Fletcher had two sacks for the Redskins and he has 30 in his 12-year career.

"It's been a while, since probably my, shoot, my fourth year in Buffalo, so like 2005," said Fletcher, who had four sacks that season. "We blitzed a lot then and I was able to get quite a few sacks. I've been able to get some sacks in my career, so it's good to be able to blitz and really not truly blitz."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 9, 2010; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Brian Orakpo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder unveils new video scoreboards, other upgrades to FedEx Field
Next: Willie Parker listed No. 4 on depth chart

Comments

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 10:15 AM

I'm trying to secure these SB tix but you're distracting me with your idiotic comments.

The simple truth is we gave y'all a 28-year head start and the best you imbeciles could do is a total of five championships and a 4-12 record last season. After almost eighty years of existence? Really? LMAO!!

Even though it's not in my best interests, I will tell you exactly why the Deadskins won't win another championship ANYTIME soon - your owner doesn't know how to. He doesn't have it in him. That simple. FACT!

"Jerruh" (as you blind mice like to call him), on the other hand, has won three championships and has once again built a perennial championship contender. I'll break it down for you - if you're not in the playoffs, you can't "contend" for a championship. Simple analysis for a simple person (you).

Now don't tell anyone that I told you what your stinkin' team's Achilles' heel is. Sadly, SNYDER IS THE ONE THING THAT WON'T CHANGE about the Deadskins because he owns the team. Keep buying that Deadskins merchandise though!!

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 10:45 AM

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

**Anybody start up the RI fantasy league yet?**

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Position needs to be factored into the GOAT discussion.

There is no way a 1st basemen could be the GOAT in baseball b/c his fielding duties don't do him justice. Sure there are great ones but no one will ever mention a 1st basemen as their GOAT guaranteed!

I'm sorry but Jerry Rice isn't even better than Joe Montanya. The guy who helped him acheive his stats. If Randy Moss played his career with Peyton Manning, he'd have shattered Rices records by now!

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | August 9, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 10:45 AM

There's an easy solution for that: GET OUT!

Seriously...there's nothing more pathetic than a Cowdung fan showing up to a Redskins blog talking sh*t.

Oh wait...yes there is.

A Cowdung fan who thinks that Jerrah Jones is in some way better than Dan Snyder.

You know the difference between the two? Jones bought a team pre-free agency built almost exclusively on that absurd Herschel Walker trade. Snyder bought the Skins during one of their worst skids in franchise history.

Both spend more money than anyone else in the league and both don't know what they don't know. I mean, Jones as the GM/Owner? Because he played a little college ball? Laughable. And it's chief among the million reasons your team won't win jack sh*t. Ask Parcells...who's won literally EVERYWHERE else outside of Dallas.

So take your punk ass and your dated and moot arguments elsewhere. I hear pedophiles are always looking for some Dall-ass fans to commiserate with...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 10:45 AM

There's an easy solution for that: GET OUT!

Oh wait...yes there is.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Death to Brokeback Cockboy Fans

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | August 9, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Cowboys fans are all bangwagon.....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Whats going on with the problems at long-snapper? That guy still struggling to hit the holder or what?

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 9, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:02 AM

To be fair, Snyder reaped a similar bonanza from Mike Ditka falling in love with Ricky Williams and bestowing whole draft worth of picks upon us and a number one the next year. We still don't have a championship, do we? Stop making excuses.

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 9, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | August 9, 2010 11:07 AM

Wholeheartedly disagree...while I feel the "what do you need more--great QB or great WR" is right on par with the age old "chicken/egg" debate, you can't help but notice that Rice has been productive with EVERY QB he's played with. He was still great with Young and with Gannon. One could make the case that those guys played their best ball when they had Rice to throw to.

The beauty of the NFL is that there will probably never be a consensus GOAT like there is in the NBA. Because of the number of positions and how much each of them vary with necessary skill sets, that argument is completely subjective. While I think it's alright to think someone other than Rice is the GOAT, I think it's a bit shortsighted to rule him out of the discussion altogether...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Every Member in the HOF is the GOAT

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | August 9, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 9, 2010 11:14 AM

Duly noted. But we're going to play that card then it's also fair game to point out that Snyder's first year of ownership yielded a 10-6 record and a division title. Jones' yielded a 1-15 stinker (a level of putridity the Redskins even at their worst never reached) and they wouldn't get to the playoffs for 2 years.

Whatever...I'm done with the Dall-ass talk. At the end of the day, it's ridiculously lame to harp on titles that were won more than 5 years after they've been won. Neither the Redskins NOR the Cowdungs have a right to talk championship until one becomes recent.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Cowboys fans are all bangwagon.....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

Nah, not all are...

Posted by: arizona4 | August 9, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow...really glad I missed that azzhat MrIrvin88. Anyways, starting to get some tweets in from the practice today. Kelly and Brown didn't practice again today. I'm not feeling the right side of the Skins Oline at this point. Haynesworth went against Edwin Williams in practice, so Haynesworth indeed worked as the #2 NT. Edwin said that Haynesworth is still as strong as ever. Finally, the tweets are reporting that McNabb had his best practice to date, very accurate.

Posted by: TWISI | August 9, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Its odd how everyone says that the game of football is won and lost in the trenches. yet no lineman are ever considered to be the GOAT.
Just to hard to judge individual excellence in a position that is determined by a groups effort. And pancake blocks or devestating bull rushes just dont have the appeal on the highlight reals that a 90 yrd TD bomb or an ankle breaking rush do.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 9, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:28 AM

What in the world does that have to do with winning a championship? Nothing.

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 9, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:19 AM
-------------------------------------------
I think when you throw terms like greatest of all time around, you need to not only consider the player and the surrounding cast, but you also have to consider the coaching and play calling. Rice emerged with the West Coast Offense. You can't give him and Montana credit without acknowledging the fact that the WCO was tearing up the league when first introduced.

Also, when you say GOAT, remember you are talking of "all time". Personally, I don't think Emmitt Smith could hold Jim Brown's jockstrap. I have never - repeat never - seen such a mixture of speed, raw power and determination.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Who was the 1?

Cue Jack Russell terrier-style brownwood tirade.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 9, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

ahwyatt, why don't you follow your boy Irvin out the door? I just said, talking championship 5 or more years removed from it is lame. Time to move on, hoss...

Stu, I think lineman are overlooked because there's no tangible statistic that tells you how good or bad a guy is. It's mostly subjective and requires a level of expertise that most people outside of the game simply don't possess.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 9, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:28 AM

Probably just as ridiculous as you bringing up and comparing the number of playoff wins in the last 12 years. GOTCHA, you lame hypocrite!!

I saw a skunk on the side of the road with a clothes-pin on his nose, just cryin' his heart out. The stench of this DI board got to him, no doubt! Peace.

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

How do you judge GOAT? Athleticism? Longevity? Stats? Innovation? It is impossible to find a player at any position who is tops in all those categories, so this whole debate = power rankings.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I get what you're saying but if we nitpick every player to the Nth degree, then EVERYONE will have some sort of perceived flaw keeping them from attaining the title GOAT.

If I had a vote, I'd still say Jim Brown...even though I'm not old enough to have seen him play, everything that I've heard and read and seen (old video and the like) says that there's never been a more dominant player. But I think it's far from a no-brainer and I can see the value in adding guys like Montana, Rice, and Elway into the conversation.

Like I said...I doubt there will ever be a consensus #1 guy. It's just part of what makes football great, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"The hope, players said, is that offense will not be able to key just on outside linebackers..."

I wonder about the logic of using a converted lineman--Lo Alexander-- as outside linebacker myself.

Essentially, the skins will blitz Orakpo and ask Alexander/Carter to cover a back out in space.

The idea opens the defense to expliotation on several levels as any smart offensive coordinator will test the coverted player's coverage skills up until he shows he can cover a speedy back or athletic tight end upfield.

And are L Alexander and A Carter that athletic to where they can cover, say, Felix Jones?

I wonder.

Going forward, I hope the use of converted lineman as outside linebackers works or that the rookie P Riley shows he's a keeper as a younger, more athletic player.

Otherwise, the 'backer opposite Orakpo might be a chink in the armor of what might be a very good redskin defense.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 9, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 11:45 AM |

If you think this board stinks I gotta wonder about the smell of the Dallas boards that you abandoned to come here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Could also have been your lame performance in the Madden Pro AM. Maria Menounos made you look like Betty White out there.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The element of surprise can be good for at least one win a year. That element is gradually eroding through all the talk about what their intentions are. Keep some things to yourself.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | August 9, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

O_e

"Emmitt Smith is not even the best running back in Cowboys history. That would be Tony Dorsett."

If both players were 22 years old, I'd still draft E Smith over T Dorsett as Smith's 'hunt-n-peck' style was complemented by a great 'jump-cut' once he saw daylight.

Dorsett didn't haven't Smith's power just as Smith didn't have Dorsett's speed to daylight.

But Dorsett also doesn't have Smith's overall numbers.

Between W Payton and E Smith?: now, that's an argument!!

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 9, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MHEDRLT | August 9, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

No one expects the Shanahanquisition!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Irvin, the only hypocrisy I see here is the asshat who keeps saying "peace" like he's leaving and yet comes back to talk sh*t to a fanbase he's not a part of.

I'm thru with you and your weird obsession with roadkill so I'll let Les Grossman speak my last words to you:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will have at most three games to prove his worth.

LarryWeisman

Shanahan says Malcol Kelly hamstring worse than first thought. May practice next week. Unlikely to play Fri.

Posted by: TWISI | August 9, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Two words to say to the GOAT RB debate: Barry Sanders.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm at work so I can't even look at you tube, but I'm willing to bet that's the "fu_k your own face" rant from Les Grossman, isn't it, brown?

Militant: "Dis is Flaymuing Draugun!!!!"

Les Grossman: "Okay, Flaming Dragon -- fuc_k face...."

Posted by: RedDMV | August 9, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"I probably went to RFK a dozen times, including perhaps three times seeing the Redskins (World Cup Soccer and DC United accounted for most of the rest) and I assure you the rosy tint of nostalgia is visible over most of these posts. RFK was loud indeed, but once you left your seat, horrible. Hideous bathrooms, concessions revolting, neighborhood crappy, and let us never forget the 100 yard long crowd just to get into the metro station."

Cosign. The best thing about RFK was the team that played there. And when the 'Skins start winning again, the whole "game-day experience" will seem much better. The crowds will be louder, there should be a smaller percentage of visiting-team fans present (as more season ticket holders actually use their tickets), and we won't mind as much that FedEx is not Metro-accessible, and that, from the 400 level, the game is a rumor. Winning is a great deodorant.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 9, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Cosign, RSH. I loved to watch "Sweet" Walter Payton, and the combo of Montana to Rice was great, but nothing in memory compares to Jim Brown. He was like a man among boys. Speed and power. For my money, he was The Man!

Posted by: frediefritz | August 9, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Blitzing Skins Linebackers; about as rare as a Unicorn or Pegasus

This I GOTTA SEE...I so look forward to OSACKPO putting starting QB's out during the 1st quarter

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 9, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Exactly right, Red. If that worthless c*nt Irvin did nothing today, he at least reacquainted me with one of my favorite rants in cinema history...haha

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 9, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN CAMP DIARY -- AUGUST 9, 2010

Dear Diary

Wouldn't you know it? Just as soon as Mommy is able to rent out my old room in the basement to some "former Redskin quarterback" by the name of Colt, he ups sticks and moves out to Oakland, leaving the poor woman with a trashed up room and no rent money whatsoever. I tell you, some people have no character at all.

Well, it was back to business this morning after having yesterday off -- although I ust admit that I hung around the hotel studying my playbook and watching a little football -- the Dallas-Cincinnati pre-season opener in Canton. What a yawner that was -- football for insomniacs. Hell, their so called starters didn't play much at all, and most of the back ups will probably be gone by the time we open up the regular season next month against Dallas. All in all, it was a royal waste of time -- but then again, what could you expect from the likes of Dallas and Cincinnati? And everybody thinks they're the teams to beat this season? Yeah, right.

Was interesting to have AH92 out on the practice field this morning, although still odd to see him playing with the second unit. I wonder if that means he'll get a "significant playing time" when we open our pre-season Friday night at home against Buffalo. Funny thing is, Coach Haslett thinks he's a bit of a mathematician -- and regularly spouts off stuff like, "Your odds of making the team are directly inverse proportional to the amount of time your spend on the field this pre-season -- that is, unless we're actually still competing for that position."

I'm not sure what he means, but think he's saying that the coaches will be content to play the scrubs and no-hopers for big parts of the next four pre-season games, and try to keep the "starters" fresh and safe from harm, at least until the regular season. Heck, we didn't even do a team scrimmage for the Fan Appreciation Day, like most other teams would do.

Now, I'm not sure how that fits with Coach Shanahan's philosophy about bringing competition to every position, but I guess it means you don't want to play too much in the pre-season; that is, unless you're still fighting for a job -- and then you want to play your butt off, or something, I guess.

As for yours truly, I'' just take it as it comes. I'll be ready to play when they want, and I'll be ready to sit out when they want me too. As for the around here, I don't know what to say. For example, we have three established starters at running back -- so how do you figure out who plays and when?

Not that it makes any difference though. Coach has already said he don't care if we win or lose this week. He just wants to make sure we look pretty, try to sell some club level seats and McNabb jerseys, and not get hurt.

Fair enough, I guess, even if it is a boring to watch. Oh well, it's not like they're going to discount the cost of the tickets or anything now, are they?

Until next time

Your BFF!!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 9, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Between W Payton and E Smith?: now, that's an argument!!

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 9, 2010 11:59 AM |

No argument at all.

Walter Payton every time. Better blocker, better receiver, more heart (than pretty much anybody - no knock on E Smith here).

I'd start Walter Payton above any of them. (except maybe Bo, but he didn't play long enough...)

and BTW...Dallas will never win a SB as long as Wade Phillips is coach. They might make some noise during the regular season, but no way he ever makes it to the dance as HC. Period.

Posted by: edvar | August 9, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

frediefritz

"...but nothing in memory compares to Jim Brown. He was like a man among boys. Speed and power. For my money, he was The Man!"

I think the best way to see things is ask the following question:

Could X player play and dominate today?

X= Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Franco Harris, John Riggins, Jim Brown, Paul Hornung, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, et al.

I'd say some of them dudes could ball today, and some couldn't.

That's why the G.O.A.T. argument is just that.

An argument.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 9, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting scheduling note for the Redskins...only one of their first six games is a 1:00 game. Also, only two of their final ten games aren't 1:00 games.

I kinda doubt that'll have any real impact, but it'll be weird to not watch the Skins at 1:00 through almost the end of October.

Posted by: --swb | August 9, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Two words to say to the GOAT RB debate: Barry Sanders.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:08 PM

Worth consideration, but I would say no. Far to many rushes for negative yards. He was a drive killer. His highlight reel is awesome, but consistent productivity was not his thing.

But he was fun to watch...

Posted by: edvar | August 9, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Fans of the Dallas Cow-pies are head and shoulders above all other retarded sports fans.

They are almost dead last in the NFC with playoff victories this century with ONE.

The point was correctly made earlier that the fatass Tuna won everywhere BUT Dallas and if he can't do it, it can't be done.

With so many criminals in Dallas' history, they need to start a new "Ring of Honor".....as in DRUG RING OF HONOR.

I need to re-up, does anyone have Michael Irvin or Nate Newton's phone number?

I predict the Cowgirls to go 14-2 this year.....

14 arrests and 2 convictions.

Remember all the Cow-poop fans that ripped Jason Campbell while he was here? These are the same retards that were in love with the dope-smoking QB Quincy Carter who made Forrest Gump look like Albert Einstein. These white-trash rednecks with their over-sized blue stars on the backs of their lowered, 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazers can't seem to realize that the choke-artist, Tony Homo, choked against the all-time choke artist in the NFL last year against Brett "Interception on the 1" Favre. So, where does that put him?

Oh yeah, watching the SB at his own stadium from the stands this year when Jerry refuses to allow him into his suite.

Besides, what are the only two things that come from Texas?

Which one are you?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 9, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26, mattsoundworld, scampbell1975

Where's all this hate coming from? I gave y'all some useful information and y'all are all bent. I don't understand.

Anyhoo, scored the SB tix. Y'all feel free to come cheer for America's Team in SB XLV and get outta that toilet bowl aka UPS Stadium (I think I got that right). I'm out, ladies. Peace.

-HTTD- (Hell To The Deadskins)

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Short list of best running backs I've ever seen play (Apologies to Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Jim Taylor, etc.. as they were before my time)

Walter Payton
Eric Dickerson
Barry Sanders
Marshall Faulk
Ladanian Tomlinson
Marcus Allen
Earl Campbell
Tony Dorsett
John Riggins
Emmitt Smith

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 9, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26, mattsoundworld, scampbell1975

-HTTD- (Hell To The Deadskins)

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 12:26 PM |

Come on back when your boy Tony fumbles the snap for the game winning fieldgoal in the first round of the playoffs this year. You'll be watching the Superbowl, but your team will have choked out before making it there. Prior history is a great indicator of future performance.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Interesting whether London Flecther gets into the Hall...

His numbers are almost the same a Ray Lewis'

INTERESTING.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 9, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Irvin?

Why is everyone so up in arms about a guy who named himself after an ex-con crackhead?

MrIrvin: Cowboys have never beaten Skins in playoffs. Not to mention ruining your season twice in the past few years: 35-7 and 27-6 (didn't win again).

Please see Russ Grimm and the 83 NFC Championship game for further details.

Thank you.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 9, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 9, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

Smart money has them winning the division this year, so if Farve goes down, you have to think it comes down to a coin toss between the Saints and the Cowboys. Don't underestimate the incentive to play the SB at home, either.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

No one expects the Shanahanquisition!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice MP pull.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I hear Mr Irvin will be the primary mentor for newly acquired wide out Matt Jones. They have much in common and should really help to fuel each other...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 9, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Interesting whether London Flecther gets into the Hall...

His numbers are almost the same a Ray Lewis'

INTERESTING.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 9, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Interesting whether London Flecther gets into the Hall...

His numbers are almost the same a Ray Lewis'

INTERESTING.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 9, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 12:26 PM |

Whatever you say CrackHead, go smoke some more dirty-ass crack with your boy nate newton.

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 9, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Link to Jim Brown highlights. Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell might be the best tandem ever.

Posted by: Markin21132 | August 9, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:37 PM |

Repeat. Dallas will never win a SB with Wade Phillips as HC. Have a little faith, brother.

Posted by: edvar | August 9, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand.

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

Exactly.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Like it or not the Cowboys have to be favorites to win the NFC.

Howedvar, I can't see Wade Phillips as a SB winning HC.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | August 9, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Cowboys have the best training staff in the league.

They never ever ever lose a star player to injury for a significant amount of time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | August 9, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Good news for Washington's pass rush: the Cowgirls offensive line was like a turnstile Sunday night. They gave up five sacks. I hope Romo doesn't get busted up in the preseason. I would hate the Redskins missing an opportunity to put him out for the season...

BTW, Carter continues to work with the second team so does that mean Lorenzo Alexander has won the starting ROLB position?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 9, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly

Yeah, but it had charactah, and , absolutely, a winning team will make any Circle of Hell enjoyable..

Posted by: frak | August 9, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I see the Brokeback blowboy perineum is back.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 9, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Interesting whether London Flecther gets into the Hall...

His numbers are almost the same a Ray Lewis'

INTERESTING.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 9, 2010 12:40 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

that is what makes the HOF voting just as sketchy as the Pro-Bowl voting. Stats seem to get thrown out the window in place of personal biased opinions.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | August 9, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

CONCUSSIONS

Sorry to cap you guys, but I wanted a little attention.

I tell you the following as a practicing synthetic organic chemist. The solution is not as difficult as all would have us believe. Really there are a couple of approaches and they are not mutually exclusive.
First, football could use the same practice as the builders of crash helmets (think motorcycles). Crash helmets work on the principle of "partial destruction." This means that some of the energy of a hard blow is absorbed by the actual cracking of the helmet. Two advantages arise: 1. the absorption of that incredible energy by the helmet instead of the skull. 2. The player is immediately identifiable and can immediately be subjected to tests, if not removed from the game. One of the wonderful things about plastics is that they can be designed to crack at specific force rates. Disadvantage? Such a helmet regime would be comparatively expensive. But one must ask the question, "What price do we put on players' long-term health?"

The other alternative, which can be used in conjunction with partial destruction, is to use a plastic that will discolor on impact of a certain number of newtons, the term for force used by engineers. Again, players whose helmets are discolored can be examined or removed. In addition, the location of a discoloration can be a tell regarding hits to the head or the use of the head in a hit. Discolorations, as could the partial destruction concept, could then lead to penalties and/or fines.

We're all fans, and we all love the game. One of the things we love about it is the cheering on individuals in a fully team sport. Any and every thing that can be done to protect them without hindering their ability to play in a ballsout fashion should be encouraged.

Comments?

Posted by: MrChili | August 9, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 9, 2010 11:45 AM

Funny! Why don't you take your obvious talents to Comedy Central? We're not worthy. Now cease and desist, you frontrunner.

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | August 9, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentlemen (and everything in between...), don't bother yourselves with Mr. Irvin88's BS...instead just savor THIS little thought.

How nice will it be to sit back and hear all the little cowpie fans cry into their $17.00 beers while watching Donovan J. McNabb hoist a Lombardi for the Washington Redskins in THEIR stadium?

That thought alone will keep me so warm, I may not need a fireplace this winter.

mmmmmmmmmmm, toasty...

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 9, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 12:37 PM |

Funny how you substitute "incentive" for the proper term, "distraction".

You moronic Dallas band-wagoners who have probably never even been to Texas. You're going to miss Flozelle like you never imagined and Dez Bryant will HAVE to carry Roy Williams' pads off the field because Roy keeps dropping them.

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Comments? Posted by: MrChili"

You make a good argument. However Mike Ditka would counter that concussions are increasing precisely because defenders have so much confidence in their headgear that they're making more and more head tackles. His idea is that the league should limit the protection, which would force players back to the traditional methods -- tackling with shoulders and arms.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse
_________

No way Emmitt even sniffs Payton's rushing title if he wasn't on the teams he was on. On those cowgirl teams (as much as we all here hated them), emmitt had an Oline almost entirely full of pro bowlers, and at least 1 future hall of famer, plus a multiple pro-bowl fullback. Plus, since teams were so afraid of Aikman's accuracy and Mr. Cokehead #88's ability to stretch the field (in part b/c he illegally pushed off on just about every play), defenses typically couldn't stuff 8 up in the box to stop emmitt. So he had running lanes and defenses that couldn't really key on him. Even despite those huge advantages, his career yards/carry is only something like 4.1/4.2 (correct me if I'm wrong; I didn't look it up). No, emmitt was a good back, but if you put him on an average team (like OJ, Barry, Walter in some years, Erik Dickerson, and others), and he would have been just another pretty good, pretty tough back.

Emmitt couldn't hold the jockstrap of Jim Brown or a whole host of other top backs. He's not even in my top 10 despite his career yardage record.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 9, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

We should be happy Danny is spending money on big HD displays instead of angling to build the "Redskins Mall" in Bumfrak, Virginia.

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Hey, WTF?? Your Cheerios, My p*ss and vinegar...

Posted by: frak | August 9, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Mr irvin......

I'm sorry I couldn't understand your posts.....

Your crack induced coma has you talking gibberish.....

And possibly strolling where ypu don't belong....

Nobody on the dallas boards wanna talk to ya????

Did your parents "forget" to get you before they left the mall

Your the kid everyone sees n nobody remembers........

Good ole what's his name??? Oh ya mr irvin, that silly @ss.

Cowgirls always count there eggs before they hatch.....

Oh dex bryant SB SB SB. Lmao he's out for almost 2 months. The te catching homos passes yesterday got injured. Romo doesn't have the balls to be a qb, he's scared in the playoffs.....

Don't get me started on Fade Phillips......dude looks like he belongs on ice road truckersss

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Funny how you substitute "incentive" for the proper term, "distraction".

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

Time out. Did you just call me a Dallas fan?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 9, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I see my man MrIrvin88 is out here picking up where he left off last year. Represent, dude!

Anybody who thinks the Cowboys won't be a strong Super Bowl favorite is delusional. And you'll find out just how good we're going to be this year on September 12. I'll leave the serious trash talk to MrIrvin88, but don't sleep on us or you'll find yourself down by 50 points before you grab that first $17.00 beer.

We're America's Team for a reason.

Posted by: DoomsDayD | August 9, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 9, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"We're America's Team for a reason.

Posted by: DoomsDayD | August 9, 2010 1:26 PM"

yup, and that reason is pure self generated hype, and nothing more

...prost!

[me raising my $8.00 DannyBrau, not a $17.00 JurrahLand Brew...]

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 9, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Jerry got lucky with Jimmy, but then ran him off. Sounds like he doesn't know how to win either. Won one more with the team Jimmy built and then nothing since '96. The only reason they're more pathetic than us is they don't think they're pathetic at all. Cowchildren go home, stare at the big stars, and give yur pick-ups some more rustoleum treatment, but make no plans for the SB, please.

Posted by: dg_photofl | August 9, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy fans are out of control! They win one playoff game (last year) in the past 12 or so years (1996 Wild-card against the Vikings) and they are a perennial Super Bowl contender!! Are Cowboy fans serious! Where they do that at?! Where does that happen at?! Stop drinking that "America's Team" kool-aid. It stinks and makes you stupid!!

Posted by: jaja1280 | August 9, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

8-8

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

8-8

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

Agreed...

Posted by: arizona4 | August 9, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

That blond trucker is a little hotty.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Cowboys were Super Bowl shoe-ins at the beginning of last season, too. You know what happened? More Romo turnovers.

Year before that?

Week 17, Eagles vs Cowboys FOR A PLAYOFF BERTH. Eagles score 2 TDs on back to back recovered Romo fumbles. Oh and he was picked without throwing a TD. 44-6.

But yeah I'm sure next year Romo will change. Replace your QB and you have a good team. Great trio of backs. As long as it flows through #9, you guys aren't getting anywhere.

Posted by: Keiser | August 9, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see what Barry Sanders might have done if he had ANY TE or FB to help his miserable line. And what if he had Emmitt's OL, plus Novacek and Johnston? My God, that would've been unbelievable.

Not to take anything away from 22, as he was a warrior and a guy I'd put on my team every time. But seriously, plug any decent RB into that offense and he has 1400 yards and 20 TDs. EVERY guy on his offense was a Pro-Bowler. Some are already in the HOF. He averaged twice as much per carry in the 4th qtr as the 1st. Why? His OL had completely worn out the defense.

Great player? Yes. Great guy? By all accounts, yes. Best RB of all time? No way.

Posted by: McLobo | August 9, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Mr.Irvin leaving the well known crack house in Dallas . Your a crack head , crack head , crack , head . some um up girlboi's crack head ,

Cowboys will NOT win anything for the next 5 years , why ? Tony Romo is not the guy , he is not good enough.

Posted by: terryreece | August 10, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse