Brian Orakpo leads chorus of praise for Trent Williams

Some of the Redskins spent the last day of the draft with fans at FedEx Field and, as Dan Steinberg reports on the D.C. Sports Bog, there are 1) tons of prior connections between them and the team's No. 4 draftee, Trent Williams, and 2) players are really excited about the addition of someone who should anchor the offensive line for years to come.

In the Red River Shootout in Texas, "we had to do a lot as far as getting our best guys on him and really trying to compete, because we knew what he brought to that blocking scheme," said Orakpo, who announced to the crowd that Williams was "a beast" who would "be a great player for us this season."

"He went to one of the biggest schools and played in the biggest games," Orakpo later added. "For a guy who played at the level I played at, at a similar school, it kind of makes the transition to the NFL a lot easier. I'm excited for him, because I know once he steps out on the field he's just gonna continue to do his thing."

By Cindy Boren  |  April 24, 2010; 5:32 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo , NFL Draft , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall: If anybody can succeed in Oakland, it's Jason Campbell
Next: Bruce Allen reiterates that Haynesworth, McIntosh weren't trade topics

Comments

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not surprised and pleasantly delighted that LeGarrete Blunt was not drafted. Violence never solves anything/Violence = more Violence, just ask W. Bush!

Ridiculous that a small contingent actually defended his actions...not surprised some of them hail from the DMV. Only a financially poor, self-pitied/me against the world human would do so.

So a little trash talk and body contact warrants a sucker punch to the chin? What's gonna happen to this moron when a player attempts to castrate him at the bottom of a fumble pile? Blount is a loose cannon and his problem is no doubt, a chronic one as typical for most violent human beings.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 24, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I think Blount diddled shagm's girlfriend

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Need to sign Kurt Coleman as FA

Positives: Underrated college safety with a complete game. Smart, tough and creates opportunities for his team. Works well with cornerbacks, displays terrific awareness and solid instincts. Reads the action, recognizes routes in zone coverage and displays a nice break to the ball. Aggressive, works hard to get involved in the action and wraps up tackling. Takes good angles to plays and very efficient. Displays solid sideline to sideline range in centerfield and covers a lot of area.

Negatives: Possesses just average size and speed. Marginally explosive.

Analysis: Coleman is one of the more complete safeties in this draft yet will be downgraded because he lacks the great measurables. He offers the ability to play in several systems and has starting potential. In many ways Coleman reminds us of Ed Reed when the All Pro enter the draft in 2002.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/48670.html#ixzz0m3agbfFR
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | April 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

So when do we start seeing the UFA's sign? I forget

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Blount diddled shagm's girlfriend

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 5:48 PM

I thought that everyone had.

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Dang, just saw that Philly picked him up in the 7th round

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | April 24, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are right. Caveman is getting old and slow(er). Was hoping for more MLB help, but if the guy is gonna get on the filed and produce, then good.

Posted by: edvar | April 24, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Watch that. He's a very powerful blocker and his recieving skills are of a level that Sellers couldn't come close to matching.

Posted by: dfbovey | April 24, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I could go on for another couple of hours with you guys, but having been on here all day following the draft, and reading the post, and your posts, I need to get a life for the rest of this day.

Good day, fellow Skins fans.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 24, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Violence never solves anything/Violence = more Violence, just ask W. Bush!

Yeah, well we're all sitting here free because of "violence." "Violence" used against ideologies that would deny us our freedoms.

Pacifism only works when both sides agree to the principle.

Sorry, this is a sports blog but some views just need to be challenged.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 24, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | April 24, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | April 24, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

So when do we start seeing the UFA's sign? I forget

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 5:52 PM

Usually the team waits until they've signed all of them before announcing any of them. Probably need to check tweets because the guys getting signed will be bragging about it. That sounds like work for PFT and beantowngreg.

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

What is the rule on someone coming out early and not being drafted? Can he go back to college and play again?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Sellers IS on the roster ... but for whatever reason, I hadn't noticed that Sellers had NO rushing touches this past season. With all the RB troubles and the nothing game we had in the Red Zone, seems surprising they never gave him the rock to carry. Also, that late season game in 2008 when he had the concussion after the hit, I thought he was dead ... I wonder whether he doesn't have a concussion countdown timer on his post-season evaluation sheet. I also am intrigued by this Dennis Morris fella, esp. re: what the new guys might be thinking about Sellers. I always thought Yoder was solid, but maybe they have different expectations for the TE/HB/FB slot.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nope

Posted by: dfbovey | April 24, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Yoder is gone and I think Sellers is definitely in danger. Morris can do what he does but is also much more versatile

Posted by: dfbovey | April 24, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Where's the news on UFA signings? Who are we talking to? Possibilities?

I feel like someone who just lost his virginity and now wants nothing more than sex, 24-7, until his prick falls off. Yes, this is my actual analogy for how long I awaited this draft and how much I'm obsessed with it not ending just yet. Gross? Maybe. Appropriate? Definitely.

Gimme info, JREID!

Also, we should be working to sign ILB Micah Johnson out of Kentucky. 1st year special teamer and definitely someone who could be developed for the interior LB corps.

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

And a tackle with a goatee...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure UFA's cannot be contacted by coaches until 1 hour after the announcement of Mr. Irrelevant. But I did "wake and bake" alot in college, so I might be pulling your leg like beantowngreg.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I had to run out for a bit but now that they have drafted two o linemen...whats the complaints being posted now?

I bet it's they didn't draft any high enough lol

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Bears, Bills, Texans - those 3 stand out to me as what were they thinking

Oakland, Seattle, Cleveland - three teams that really helped themselves

Posted by: noonefromtampa

I think he diddled Skinshaveagm and never called him again..

Posted by: ga8085 | April 24, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

DC they did give the ball too sellers a few times...in fact there was one i remember on 4th and goel and they gave it to sellers instead of portis and sellers well...it was ugly...

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Morris will be cheaper too

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Aside from Trent Williams, I think Morris is the next best candidate to start right away as a rookie.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARorin9Aos&feature=related
Posted by: dfbovey"

That's the trouble with YouTube -- it's a bunch of highlights. Morris isn't known as a terribly punishing run blocker. Last season he was enormously effective as a receiver in the end zone.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 24, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 24, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

This means to me that Blounte should be signed ASAP. Anyone who mentions politics on a sports board is a complete and utter waste of human life. Take your Bush/Obama bashing to the front page nitwit.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | April 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I bet it's they didn't draft any high enough lol

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM

I haven't seen too many except one idiot that keeps crying about Blount punching someone.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | April 24, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Re Morris

if you watch the video, he is way too high when run blocking, mainly using his strength to beat his opponent. Get his hand out of place too.

Coaches will fix that. He looks like a possible diamond in the rough.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Jevan Snead signs with Tampa.

Posted by: will_ga | April 24, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | April 24, 2010 6:10 PM |

Your judgement on whether someone is a waste of life is whether they post politics on a sports blog or not?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

WOW...it's nice to have a FO that mixes FA with the draft and gets what we need!

Excellent off season and more to come....we are gonna have a football team this year Nation :)

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Guess I did wake and bake too much, players on twitter confirm signing with teams already. Let's hope we can bring in some special teams gems.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 24, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

for those of you tired of chasing stats on bottom feeder picks, thought I would fan the flames again regarding the fate of our favorite AH...

feel free to bash the media for "unfounded rumors", but the consistency of these reports (here, elsewhere, everywhere) suggests that *something* is going to happen.

cattle markets took a dive this weekend, but are expected to be up as we get closer to the start of the season.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:14 PM

so does this mean no more campaigning for a Dave Mustaine presidency?

all right then, the draft is done. STILL would have liked RO more than TW but that's NOT a condemnation of TW's skills. Shanny likes him better for the zone-blocking system, good enough for me.

Cook and Capers should set up some serious competition for OL playing time.

that Morris cat is verrrry intriguing. so's Terrance Austin.

all in all, not too shabby at all considering the mess that Vinny left.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I bet it's they didn't draft any high enough lol

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:06 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Scamp....man i'm really feeling good with the direction this team is going in...I'm very happy with the draft...I thought Bruce and Shanny did an excellent job working with what picks and such were left over from the past mess. they did great with what little they had..and have started the process of stocking picks away fro future drafts.

I think things are gonna finally be ok...

What you think Scamp?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins, who started the draft with just four picks, appear poised to walk away with six players."

We got:

a tight end (I guess we needed another)

two tackles (to get S Capers and T Williams--golden!)

a center (Williams has competition behind Rabach)

a wide receiver (the fifth guy?)

and a linebacker (I liked D Sharpton from UM--but we needed another 'backer)

With the tight end being the only head scratcher (Davis, Ryan, Yoder, Cooley, Sellar...who else?), I like the moves and the selections.

Get them signed!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 24, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hout's a prik.

I'm glad Blount stole him.

You'd have to be an idiot to go slap an opposing player after a tough loss and taunt him in his face... And then turn your back as he winds up.

"Oh, you're about to punch me in my annoying face? OK. Cool. One sec. Hold that thought..."

"Oh no! I've been sucker punched. In my stupid annoying face! And now I live on YouTube! Help me!"

Moron.

Thank God nobody drafted Hout. He's a punk. Glad he got dropped like a beatch.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 24, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Get them signed!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 24, 2010 6:26 PM |

I believe he will be the guy that gets Sellers off the team.

Yoder is gone I thought.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 24, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I think we may turn the corner this year Leevi. If you add McNabb, Jarmon, and Carriker to the draft I'd say we did pretty good. Definitely we will get at least 3 more wins just from preparedness alone. Probably a win or two just from unpredictability on offense and defense. Gonna take a little while for everyone to get on the same page so a 9-9 season is a good goal. But this is just the beginning.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I have a very nice mini helmet signed by JC last off season.

Anybody want it?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone who mentions politics on a sports board is a complete and utter waste of human life. Take your Bush/Obama bashing to the front page nitwit.Posted by: RobInVaBeach"

I believe you just mentioned politics.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 24, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Can he go back to college and play again?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 6:00 PM

I think that if he signs with an agent then he can't return.

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:29 PM

so 8-8 makes the wild-card and we win a playoff game?

i'll happily take that this year.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping they bring in at least 10 to 15 UFA, you never know you could find a few good players.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 24, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Can he go back to college and play again?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 6:00 PM

I think that if he signs with an agent then he can't return.

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 6:32 PM |

That's basketball, not sure about football though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Now that draft madness is over, it's time to say that this is the year to FREE MARKO!!!!

Posted by: bostskin | April 24, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Seattle, and surprisingly, Oakland, had the best draft days. honorable mention, Martin Mayhew (Deion Sanders was the #2 CB opposite Mayhew @Florida St., lol) and the Lions.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 24, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:29 PM

so 8-8 makes the wild-card and we win a playoff game?

i'll happily take that this year.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 6:32 PM |

Yea sorry about that, 8-8 is what I meant. It's been a long week, baby in the hospital overnight, dog back for an overnight stay at the vet. Finally got a contract on our house...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Get them signed!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 24, 2010 6:26 PM | Why you call that pick a head scratch? He is not going to be a TE he will be a FB/h-back

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

oh, and BEEEP

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I think that if he signs with an agent then he can't return.

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 6:32 PM |

Thank you. Just heard about some kid who came out and was wondering...so i guess that coming out early is not all its cracked up to be for some.

I just called Direct TV and renewed my NFL SUNDAY TICKET...No more going to fridge, le toylette (crapper), next door, corner store, etc during last four min of a game.

LET THE SEASON BEGIN