Brian Orakpo: Two sacks, two penalties

Redskins outside linebacker Brian Orakpo had two more sacks against the Bears Sunday, bringing his season total to seven in seven games a year after he had 11 as a rookie.

"Just kind of being relentless," Orakpo said. "Just keep playing. We knew we got some opportunities there, so we got to take advantage. I'm able to keep doing what I do. My asset is to rush the passer, and I was able to get home a couple times."

Orakpo got to Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler on the Bears' first possession of the second quarter, dropping him for a seven-yard loss on a third-down play. He then sacked Cutler again on the last play of the third quarter, a two-yard loss.

In between, though, he had a bit of a problem with the officiating crew. Twice on the Bears' lone touchdown drive, Orakpo was called for being offside. Both times, he lined up in the neutral zone, and one of the infractions gave the Bears a first down.

"I wish I could've got a warning, to know where I'm in the neutral zone," Orakpo said. "But I didn't, and they went ahead and threw the flag twice. It wasn't that I jumped offsides. They said I lined up in it. I just got to take it and learn from that."

By Barry Svrluga  | October 24, 2010; 7:40 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Despite miss, Graham Gano still confident
Next: Ryan Torain tops 100 yards again

Comments

Apparently, the objective here is to post something new 5 minutes with the hopes that everyone will just loose interest and go away.

...And then, for the rest of the week, we'll get inflammatory updates on Haynesworth and maybe something on McNabb's contract update - like that they are still not discussing it, or something breaking and important like that.

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

If Orakpo keeps up his pace of 7 sacks in 7 games he should get 15-16 for the season and once again be Pro Bowl bound, along with Laron Landry.

If DeAngelo Hall continues to pick off balls he could be Pro Bowl bound too, dam, 4 picks in one game.(1 for a 92yd TD) Pretty dam impressive.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 24, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Redskins win sloppy affair

How is this newsworthy?

The 2010 Washington Redskins excel at the Ugly win.

A win is a win is a win.

All you have to do is finish with one more point than the opponent.

This is news only to people who not only don't know the game, but might also be unaware that they just lost it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 24, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I think this team has a toughness to it that I really like. They keep their poise and don't beat themselves with frustrating mistakes (like, say....last years team).

It always seems like they are in it and have a chance to win it.

When they get a better grasp of the O and D and build a little more depth, this foundation will serve them well.

Posted by: edvar | October 24, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

i know i shouldn't expect more from a product of Texass, but how hard is it to line up....on-sides?

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 24, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Straight from teh GIFT Horses mouth:

(From the Chicago Tribune)

Of all the poor judgment Jay Cutler showed Sunday during the Bears' 17-14 loss to the Redskins, he saved the worst for the podium.

Asked if he ever considered throwing away from Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall before Hall tied an NFL record with four interceptions, Cutler displayed the blend of arrogance and stubbornness that helped get the Bears beat.

At least Cutler's smirk is in midseason form.

"I've played against (Hall) before,'' Cutler said. "There's no reason to shy away from him. That's hard for me to say throwing four picks to the guy but I still think if we had to play him tomorrow I'd go after him every time.''

Posted by: jandlml | October 24, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Cutler seems to be a blend of arrogance and stupidity, with the stupidity having a slight edge.

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 24, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler's a big dbag!

He really doesn't shy away from any corner, cuz he's got 100 interceptions

Posted by: rachel216 | October 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Meh, that wasn't terribly arrogant. Heck, for Cutler it was downright diplomatic.

(And I think you want your QB assuming that the next time going to that side will produce a play. Just don't make stupid throws.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 24, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

when its all said and done, I like this team

Posted by: elmerdoe99 | October 25, 2010 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Jay cutler is an arrogant a$$... He's going to soon hold the record for INTs.. Stamp it... And skins offense needs to start clicking. Our defense is looking awesome.. Please send us 5-3 into the byeweek! HTTR!!

Posted by: SteveOman | October 25, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse