Posted at 3:31 PM ET, 12/20/2010

Injured Phillip Daniels will miss the rest of the season

By Rick Maese

Defensive end Phillip Daniels saw his first start of the season on Sunday at Dallas. It will stand as his last game of the season.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that Daniels will be placed on season-ending injured reserve and will miss the team's final two games. Daniels aggravated an abdomen injury Sunday against the Cowboys that he suffered a week earlier against Tampa Bay. Shanahan said he did not know whether Daniels would require surgery.

The 37-year-old Daniels has played 14 seasons in the NFL. He served as a reserve end in the Redskins' 3-4 defense. According to NFL.com, he was credited this season with 21 total tackles and two sacks.

Shanahan offered updates on a couple of other players. It's still not clear whether Brian Orakpo (groin/hamstring) will be able to play next Sunday at Jacksonville. Orakpo expressed some concern following the Cowboys' loss, but Shanahan said he wouldn't know more on the second-year linebacker's status until Wednesday.

Safety Reed Doughty suffered a concussion early in Sunday's game. Shanahan won't know whether Doughty can return until later this week.

Defensive end Kedric Golston (groin/elbow) sat out Sunday's game, and Shanahan won't know until at least Wednesday whether Golston will be ready to return.

Linebacker Rocky McIntosh finished Sunday's loss on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. Shanahan was hopeful that McIntosh could return this weekend against the Jaguars.

By Rick Maese  | December 20, 2010; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Beck finally gets his chance--in practice
Next: Heated field needed before indoor facility, Shanahan says

Comments

WarKing, agreed shanny wants pick 1.

Losing was our goal yesterday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse
----

LMAO...yeah, that's what it was.

Anytime I bother to write in response to you, I'll need to remember this and save myself the time - because you will ALWAYS blame "X" coach and NEVER assess the players honestly.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS PLAN SURVIVOR SERIES REUNION TO MARK FAN DEPRECIATION DAY

ASHBURN, VA -- The Washington Redskins are hoping to get a little “extra bounce” going into the off-season when they host a special Fan Depreciation Day on January 2 at FEDEX Field. The New York Giants will be in town to help mark the end of yet another merciless and miserable football season for the Redskins.

According to a team press release, “We’re going to bring back all of your favorite players for one more lap around the sidelines of the stadium.”

Fans will be able to cheer once final time for the dozens of players who suited up for the Redskins this season but then fell by the wayside for one reason or another -- including disgruntled and suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, frequently injured running back Clinton Portis, and former starting quarterback Donovan McNabb -- who was signed to a multi-year deal and then benched for reasons that are still unclear to many fans.

The press release continued, “For better or worse, this may be the last time you will ever see these guys in a Redskins uniform.”

Additionally, the team will conduct a special competition to determine the “last fan standing” –- awarding anyone who is still in the stadium going into the 4th quarter of the expected debacle an opportunity to buy club section season tickets for the 2011 campaign.

And, if anyone is still in the stadium at the completion of the game –- they will be given the opportunity to sweep up the trash and turn off the lights -– before they are summarily fired and thrown out into the streets by team owner Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 20, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Good bye Phil. A true class act that gave us everything he had. Enjoy retirement and watching your son become a star in college.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

start jarmon...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 20, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah old people get injured, thats what happens when your old. Surprised it wasnt his hip.
Can hardly wait to see the fine group of over the hill vets Shanny accumulates this offseason, more Vonnie Hollidays ought to fix the Dline no prob.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, it will be a miracle if they can find 11 guys healthy enough to play defense against the Giants.

Good Lord.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I dunno - It kinda seems that much of our tackling problems stem from guys being outta position. Coaches bear some level of responsibility there - if not the majority.

Sure - players are the ones making the visible, obviousl mistakes - but the coachs' job is to keep that from happening.

I'm not a huge fan of Haslett to this point. But he'll probably get another season or two.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 20, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, smurff1, this is getting more and more ridiculous. Will be a lot of unfamiliar Redskin jersey numbers on the field the next few weeks.

Hopefully they'll make the most of their opportunity and give us something to root for aside from improved draft position.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

As soon as Phillip Came off of the field on Sunday there should have been a microphone and podium awaiting his retirement speech! I'll miss the training camp reports/updates coming from the team spokesman Phillip... I have a feeling MS will find a few other 35plus year olds to replace PD! Happy Trails!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 20, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

So, other than draft picks, there will be TONS of UFAs this offseason (assuming there will be a season next fall). The question is whether Skins should try to close deals with Rocky McI and Carlos Rogers. Aaaaaaaah. I dunno. I think Rogers is a good corner, except for the hanging onto picks part. If he stays, that will probably remains the same. If he goes, he probably will become a pick monster. Sort of how it goes with the Skins. I like Rocky McI, but I don't know if he's really the guy that fits with this type of defense. Seems like for a 3-4 to work (like Pittsburgh or Jets or Ravens), it really has to be four beastly LBs. I figure that the Skins have one of those (Orakpo), maybe two with Fletcher.

LaMarr Woodley becomes UFA. Same with David Thomas. Either of those guys.

Use the draft for a guard or a center.

Posted by: dcsween | December 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

pabrian,

You can't really be saying you didn't see a marked difference between the second-half offense in this game, after Grossman settled in, and the McFabbulous performances we've been subjected to all year, can you? Granted, we didn't win largely because the special teams killed us, defensive tackling was laughable, and Grossman was understandably rusty in the first half, but Grossman was far more impressive than what we've seen from Donovan. I'm not saying Grossman will continue to play like that. If he does, though, its a pretty nasty indictment on McNabb's skills and, franklyP, on his professionalism. If its so clear that he is a superior QB to Grossman and Grossman outperforms him, it must be a lack of effort.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | December 20, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

who brought in mcNabb? Those few rusty drives could have won the game. Those rusty punts could have been the diff. Playing Riley, blades, jarmon, etc. On the last crucial drive AND starting RG doesn't scream, " let's move up in the draft"?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Finding a couple big linebackers is going to be key over the next couple of years.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Williams also will be UFA. Skins really could use a running game. Torain seems like a dude. Not so convinced about Keiland Williams. With RBs, it seems like you either are or you aren't ... not a lot of learning in there ... except maybe for Arian Foster. Where did he come from? I mean, other than "out of nowhere"?

Posted by: dcsween | December 20, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 20, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

WarKing, agreed shanny wants pick 1.

Losing was our goal yesterday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse
----

LMAO...yeah, that's what it was.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

x coach brought x player in here and let a competent qb and a valueable draft pick go, so you NEVER assess the situation honestly u effin be itch

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

=================

hard to believe 32 teams passed on him seven times in the draft. What were all those scouts looking at?

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 20, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"It was a last, split second thing," Paulescu said Monday. "I dove to the one side and he juked me. All I could do was soccer, karate kick at him, anything. You just do what can. If that saved a touchdown ...you do anything you can to slow him down."

"Honestly, maybe I should have run down the field harder," he added. "It was me and him in the open field, and that's tough. You try to tackle the guy. I just hope I don't get fined or anything. I don't know, with all the fines and everything."

Which reminds me, I was at the bank the other day, and the guy in front of me was withdrawing a big stack of cash. I figured I could buy a whole bunch of drugs with that cash, so I knocked him down and ran out of the bank with it. I sure hope the police don't review the surveillance video -- or you know, READ MY PUBLIC ADMISSION -- and arrest me.

---

Paulescu said he expects a stronger effort Sunday in Jacksonville after a full week of practice and becoming more accustomed to his teammates.

On the one hand, since the view never changes when you're a punter and you play 12 yards away from most of them, it doesn't seem like it should take long to get accustomed.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd ever get accustomed to looking at 10 other men's backsides.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 20, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Keiland Williams has proven much more than Torain, lasting through a whole season vs. Being spectacular for 25% of it.

If shanny brought in mcNabb, giving up on JC and 2 draft picks, and mcNabb isn't the guy. We're doomed

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

so f-ing true, so

"should he stay or should he go?"

Posted by: Skins2 | December 20, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Arian Foster. Where did he come from? I mean, other than "out of nowhere"?

Posted by: dcsween | December 20, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

he is like the second leading rusher from Tenn...Guy had "perceived motivation problems" that kept coaches away. Shanny would never take a guy like that.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Losing was our goal yesterday

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 2:51 PM

Right, which is why Shanahan went for two TWICE yesterday to tie the game.

You join Warren Sapp on yesterday's FAIL pile.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 20, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the offense seemed much better with Grossman at QB.

I'm pretty sure Armstrong, Torain and Williams have earned the right to play here next season. Along with Brandon Banks.

Armstrong is only going to get better by next season.

I love that guy(no homo).

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I only saw the second half of the game, but I would say there is some method to Shanahan's maddness.

But he clearly doesn't understand the importance of a win in Dallas, even of a "meaningless" game.

How about the showboat punter return to end the Eagles Giants game? You could almost see it coming.

As for me, I guess I just hate the Eagles a little more.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 20, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I listened to the game on the radio yesterday. Can anyone tell me how Barnes looked at FS?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

so f-ing true, so

"should he stay or should he go?"

Posted by: Skins2 | December 20, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I think he should stay.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 |

Enthusiastically co-sign Diesel. Might be some coaching in his future. With those guns, no one's likely to talkback to him.

Posted by: TheCork | December 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the offense seemed much better with Grossman at QB.

Armstrong is only going to get better by next season.

I love that guy(no homo).

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:19 PM |

I agree.

Signed,

Mike Piazza, heterosexual

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I will never understand Redskins fans wringing their hands over how McNabb has been "treated". Everybody wanted it to work. It didn't. The mistake was made on Easter Sunday, not when they decided it was time to move on. If he were still in Philly...Reid would've benched him by now and THAT organization really would have to fret over how they handled him because he was a long time Beagle and they may owe him a little consideration. The Redskins? They don't owe him squat except what he is owed contractually. If he feels humiliated...I guess the Philly years didn't toughen him up as much as he is always whining that they did.
Face it. Andy Reid fleeced us. He dumped his washed up and difficult QB on a division rival, avoided all of this handling of the hyper-sensitive McNabb's (and his apologist fans') feelings, and got two nice picks in the process. If you didn't already football-hate Reid and the Beagles...you should now

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me how Barnes looked at FS?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse
---------------------

Ok ok.. I tel you.. He looked.. like a man

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 20, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

POSTED BY: MColeman51

I have said from the gitgo that it was a bad trade. He was a 2-3 year QB at BEST, and the team wasn't ready to go anywhere with or without him. Turned out the 'skins got taken. Wow, shocker.

That said, the man is a class act, and a class organization doesn't treat someone like that the way they did if (1) they want to remain a class organization and (2) they want to attract good FA talent--other than the mercenaries they've managed to unearth in the past.

They were too kind to a buffoon like Haynesworth and too unkind to McNabb.

Posted by: TheCork | December 20, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me how Barnes looked at FS?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse
---------------------

Ok ok.. I tel you.. He looked.. like a man

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 20, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Miss Swan. But seriously, did he look better than Kareem "2 hand touch" Moore?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

LMAO...yeah, that's what it was.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 20, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

---
ROFLMAO...no one who cries so much for a lousy past should ever call anyone else a bi*ch...
...and when did I say I was happy about taking a bath on that trade? Management deserves blame for that error...but you pummel them for EVERYTHING, and hold your "special" players accountable for NOTHING.

...keeping whining for J. Campbell, who is not the answer, and all those other wonderful pieces to that 4-12 puzzle. Keep praying we fire yet ANOTHER coach while you pretend that all of our problems would be solved if we just "harnessed our potential". I'm looking forward, where when players stink, they get benched, and no one gets star treatment, where players are expected to be professionals, and if they aren't, they get a ticket the f outta here.

All any of this really means is the inmates are done running this asylum, kid, and that's as it should be.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 20, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Super Co-Sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

In 1 game Grossman has about 28% of the TDs that McNabb threw all season long.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

In 1 game Grossman has about 28% of the TDs that McNabb threw all season long.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Did Grosman throw any passes that were longer then 15 yards through the air? All his yardage seemed to come from the runs after the catch. He averaged 7 yds per throw, not to good.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is a class act and a true redskin

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

From what I saw, Grossman looked better than McNabb has recently. In the second half he stretched the field with Armstrong and Cooley a few times.

He exceeded my low expectations.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 20, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to Philip Daniels and his big mouth. This Club doesn't need any clubhouse lawyers.

Posted by: markappraiser1 | December 20, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markappraiser1 | December 20, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

News flash people...

FAs come to DC for the money! Screw the talk about McNabb being treated like a two-bit 14 and H street-walker. He got paid? Right? Then no problem. As long as the check clears. He will have 3 weeks of no contact. He will be entering 2011 with old wounds and injury and nothing new hurting. He should send the Shanahans a bouquet or some expensive watches or somn.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | December 20, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markappraiser1 | December 20, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

AKA The Lockeroom Snitch

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 21, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

In 1 game Grossman has about 28% of the TDs that McNabb threw all season long.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but when its all said and done the only way Sexxy Rexy gets to the HOF will be on his knees in one of the stalls in
Canton!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 21, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

In 1 game Grossman has about 28% of the TDs that McNabb threw all season long.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Canton!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 21, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

In 1 game Grossman has about 28% of the TDs that McNabb threw all season long.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 20, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse