Posted at 12:16 PM ET, 12/26/2010

Kevin Barnes and "Macho" Harris to start as safeties

By Jason Reid

With the Redskins extremely thin at safety, cornerback Kevin Barnes and the recently signed Macho Harris will start Sunday afternoon against the Jacksonville Jaguars at EverBank Field.

Barnes, a second-year player, will replace Reed Doughty, who was not cleared to play after suffering a concussion in last week's 33-30 loss to Dallas and was listed as inactive. A backup to start the season, Doughty was starting in place of strong safety LaRon Landry, who is on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Harris, who signed with the team Nov. 23, was inactive against the Cowboys. But with free safety Kareem Moore still slowed by a knee injury and inactive, Harris, a former Virginia Tech standout, will start for the first time with Washington. As a rookie last season with Philadelphia, Harris started eight games.

In an unexpected move, the Redskins listed right tackle Jammal Brown as inactive. Brown was not listed on the injury report this week, and the six-year veteran recently said he finally is physically sound again after sitting out the entire 2009 season because of a hip problem and a sports hernia.

As expected, standout linebacker Brian Orkapo is out with hamstring and groin injuries.

Defensive lineman-linebacker Andre Carter, demoted to second string in Week 4 after starting opposite Orakpo in Washington's first three games, will start for the fifth time this season. After sharing the team lead with 11 sacks last season as an end in Washington's 4-3 defense, he has only two sacks in the team's 3-4.

As planned, former starter Donovan McNabb was listed as the third quarterback, essentially making him inactive. Demoted to second string in favor of Rex Grossman against Dallas, McNabb will play behind former third-string quarterback John Beck against Jacksonville and during the season finale Jan. 2 against the New York Giants at FedEx Field.

Running backs Andre Brown and James Davis and offensive lineman Erik Cook also are inactive. For the Jaguars, star running back Maurice Jones-Drew is inactive. Beginning play Sunday, Jones-Drew ranks second in the league in rushing with 1,324 yards. He is averaging 4.4 yards per carry and has scored five touchdowns on the ground

By Jason Reid  | December 26, 2010; 12:16 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo, Donovan McNabb, Jammal Brown, Kareem Moore, Offensive line, Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rate the Redskins against the Jaguars
Next: Redskins beat Jaguars 20-17 in overtime

Comments

Hello from Texas!

Posted by: gwjuniors | December 26, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope there is a method to this MADNESS!

Posted by: gwjuniors | December 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So now we have 2 converted cornerbacks at safety. Wow. Given everyone a shot and a tryout. Come one Come all! to the Washington Redskins regular season tryouts!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

There is no method to this madness.....we are starting street free agents again across the roster. I don't see how 18 games are possible.

Clegg

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Smack,

i'm not talking to you. You're sorry team will end up tied with $kins in victories but benefitting from the different rules for playoffs and drafting thus ending a spot ahead in the draft having a 'harder schedule' but behind in the division thus getting the 4th place schedule next year. Typical d-bag thang that works for the 'girls.

Posted by: bangkokben |

He cheers me up a helluva lot more than the people who do talk to me.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Any snub from Thailand is worth a re-post. Poor guy has to grab a scorpion and leech kabob on the way to work in the morning.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

So what of all those posts about Jamal Brown finally returning to health??

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 26, 2010 12:01 PM |

Word is he is sick.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Interesting piece on former DB Bobby Hosea teaching kids how to tackle safely. Wonder if the NFL is interested, because from what I've seen, somewhere along the line they forgot...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Take the Redskins +6.5 and the Dolphins -3.

Both are locks

Posted by: Barno1 | December 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Scamp- we are all day to day...

Skins 33
Jags 30

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Does James Davis have an injury? Just wondering why he's inactive?

Posted by: will_ga | December 26, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, today's game is about evaluations rather than winning. It does bode well for draft picks and that may be today's goal. It seems the skins will be hard pressed to get back into Washington owing to the weather. Probably a good thing...

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 26, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes! Looking forward to watch my most favorite terrible team on Christmas weekend!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Guess no ones watching the game...can't say I blame them.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be plenty of B&G at the game, I like that

Posted by: hcic55 | December 26, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Windy day and Rex's noodle arm equals some bads throws and INTS.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Gano made a career long fg I believe

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Gano made a career long fg I believe

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I liked that kick by Gano.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Skins win

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

CR makes a play.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap the Hands of Stone!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

omg carlos with a pick

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD CARLOS ROGERS CAUGHT AN INTERCEPTION!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Sweet baby jesus did 22 just catch a ball?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

carlos?!

Posted by: hcic55 | December 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow the one we need to lose we look decent. So far.

Rogers held onto a pic, he saw the dollar signs with his 2 pics lol

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Our line is blocking these guys quite well.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god Chris. What are you doing?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow Cooley..

Posted by: ga8085 | December 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Carlos and Cooley traded hands today

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Cooley with a huge drop.

Got the TD just the same.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Cooley did his best Jackie Smith impression.

Fortunately Davis held onto the ball.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Cooley drops an easy pass...
Davis catches the TD
Symbolic of things to come...Cooley just has been underachieving all season

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ok so really with davis n paulsen does any one else think we won't see what we can get for cooley??

I say shope cooley and davis and trade whoever we receive the best offer for

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I say shope cooley and davis and trade whoever we receive the best offer for

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I say shope cooley and davis and trade whoever we receive the best offer for

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

co-sign B

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The jags look flat.

We might sneak out of town with a W.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Bryant is the biggest man I've ever seen

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Cooley drops an easy pass...
Davis catches the TD
Symbolic of things to come...Cooley just has been underachieving all season

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:20 PM

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
1 Jason Witten DAL TE 90 956 10.6 63.7 33 8 12 0 47 52.2 1
2 Chris Cooley WAS TE 67 748 11.2 53.4 35 3 9 0 35 52.2 3
3 Brandon Pettigrew DET TE 64 629 9.8 44.9 35 3 5 0 30 46.9 0
4 Tony Gonzalez ATL TE 62 591 9.5 42.2 34 5 4 0 36 58.1 0
5 Benjamin Watson CLE TE 58 674 11.6 48.1 44 3 10 1 34 58.6 0

I don't know about symbolic but imagine if he wasn't underachieving. Have a hrad time believing anyone with half a brain is gonna count on Davis before Cooley.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Jagwires, Jagwires, Jagwires . . .

Yer killin' me, Ryan.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

That's the easiest pass I've ever seen Cooley drop. Red Lights Flashing. Time to do what the Patriots do. Trade a fading/losing his dependability veteran for a 3rd round pick now before you lose all value for him.

As a fan you root for the team and not the players.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

with my enthusiasm fully in check, haven't seen the skins play this well in a long time

Posted by: hcic55 | December 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

scamp- you got your name back?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Shop McNabb...don't let that bum go with a release...

At least recoup the 4th round pick for next years draft. No one in their right mind will give anything higher but at least a 4th round pick seems doable...maybe Vikings or Cardinals

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Bryant is the biggest man I've ever seen.

He's also controlling the middle of the defensive line in ways AH and Kemo did not.

Watch him the next jags' offensive series.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Not ready to give up on Cooley, but not gonna cry if he is traded for a decent pick.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Yep...another drop for cooley

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

scamp- you got your name back?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:28 PM |

Yep, don't know whats up with these d0uchers. I'm back on the West Side now so maybe it has to do mwith IP address. I like this one better anyway.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Cooley needs to get his head in the game. That would have been a tough catch but he should have made it.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

So I guess I'm on drugs because I thought I just saw Carlos Rogers catch an interception.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Cooley now with TWO drops. He's at his game average so he should be good for the rest of the game.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Cooley needs to catch the ball.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Another drop of a very catchable ball on third down by Captain Crusty

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

WFT is going on with Cooley? Good play call. Good decision by Grossman. Drop by Cooley. Not good.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Jeez. I haven't seen Chris drop this many passes in a season.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Cooley having those stats is great, more value for a trade

We need a 3rd or 4th

The coaches messed up last yr not trading carter hoping to make him fit.

They didn't trade him when they could get something for him and they won't make that mistake this year, atleast I'm hoping, I've been suprised before by this FO

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Cooley having those stats is great, more value for a trade

We need a 3rd or 4th

The coaches messed up last yr not trading carter hoping to make him fit.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kevin Barnes is our best FS.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Barnes has gotta get that sack.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

MERRY XMAS

Posted by: robertg238 | December 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:29 PM
__________________________

Yeah. Anthony Bryant is staying patient in the middle and clogging things up.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Barnes hit him it looked like he tried to take the ball and missed.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Cooley having those stats is great, more value for a trade

We need a 3rd or 4th

The coaches messed up last yr not trading carter hoping to make him fit.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:34 PM |

I hate to call you stupid but if you think a 3rd or 4th for a probowler with those stats is a fair trade then that is what you are. You don't trade a known commodity for an unknown 3rd or 4th rounder. That's foolish.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

thunder

I've been saying that for weeks

Barnes n landry will be our starters at safty next year

Haslett says his safties are changeable anyway

Is bryant a solid backup or potential starter???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Scobee Gano'd it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Will our Dbs ever learn to tackle? Barnes misses way too many tackles as well.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Scobee doing his best imitation of Gano

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

thunder

I've been saying that for weeks

Barnes n landry will be our starters at safty next year

Haslett says his safties are changeable anyway

Is bryant a solid backup or potential starter???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

cp26 got chris cooley's hand's for xmas

Posted by: robertg238 | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't really see those stats in that format, and I know cooley has decent yards for the year, but I think even he'd admit he hasn't played very well this season. He's had a lot of key drops all year that you usually don't see from #47.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

cp26 got chris cooley's hand's for xmas

Posted by: robertg238 | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

cp26 got chris cooley's hand's for xmas

Posted by: robertg238 | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

cp26 got chris cooley's hand's for xmas

Posted by: robertg238 | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Is bryant a solid backup or potential starter???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:39 PM

Right now a solid backup. Too inconsistent, but with more game experience ya never know.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The coaches messed up last yr not trading carter hoping to make him fit.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:34 PM
__________________________

Andre Carter has a "no-trade" clause in his contract.

I thought this was one of Cerrato's well known blunders.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What a coincidence, my predictions are always wrong as well.

Redskins 35
Jagwires 31

CR22 takes a pick 6 to the house.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 22, 2010 12:21 PM

I'll co-sign your prediction, with a small change in the last line... hey, if I'm gonna dream I can dream big, right?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 22, 2010 12:28 PM

I called CR22's pick. He just didn't take it to the house!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The wind is at Rex's back.

Let's hit AA on a deep ball.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Shopping list for next year
QB To Develop - Grossman can babysit
RB with Speed - changeup and insurance for Torain
WR x2 - may have to replace Moss who will probably leave in free agency
TE - backup to Davis. Trade Cooley
OL - 1 Center - 1 Guard at a minimum
DL - a real Nose Tackle
LB - 1 OLB - 1 ILB
FS
CB to replace carlos who wll probably leave

KICKER - PLEASE NO MORE GANO

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Roydell could have had a first down if he was 10 years younger.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Roydell Williams is an idiot. If he keeps running, he has the first down.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

Thank god we finally got rid of Hunter Smith!

Thia Pol-miss-que is booting the cover off the ball.

Posted by: edvar | December 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Good thing you didn't call me stupid because I would have to point out that you are saying I want to trade cooley for a 3rd or 4th, that's not the case. I said we need picks in those rounds.

I also said we should shop Cooley and Davis and trade whoever offers the most in return, whichever round that may be in.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

At this stage in his career, Bryant is a back up/may not even make next years team.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

anyone have an address so i could watch the game not on in jersey thanks

Posted by: mudman220 | December 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | December 26, 2010 1:41 PM |

It basically says he's second in receptions and yards for a TE. I agree that he has underperformed. That's kinda my point. Imagine if he has a good year. So let's trade him for a third or a fourth...genius.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

brandon

Why would anyone trade a player he'd have to replace with the draft pick he got in return?

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

anyone have an address so i could watch the game not on in jersey thanks

Posted by: mudman220 | December 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

ANYONE KNOW OF AN INTERNET WEBLINK FOR ME TO VISIT, SO THAT I CAN SEE THE 'SKINS GAME? I'M STUCK IN MEMPHIS... ;-(

Posted by: ntlekt | December 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Scamp

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 26, 2010 1:47 PM |

I took that as the insinuation. Pretty obvious thing to do if you ask me, but I wasn't sure. That's why I said if you want to trade a known for an unknown 3rd or 4th THEN you ain't bright. If that's not your point then so be it. I think I'd be okay with trading Davis but honestly it's the opne position we're absolutely set at so why change it? We could use some picks though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

anyone have an address so i could watch the game not on in jersey thanks

Posted by: mudman220 | December 26, 2010 1:51 PM |

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

atdhe.net

That site's pretty regular.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Try atdhe.net for the game guys.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The dink and dunk passing is killing us.

David Garrard is very, very, very good.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:50 PM
===========

Because in the grand scheme of things a good MLB or DL is better than having a good TE. Our record is more dependent on the holes we need to fill versus the talent we have at TE.

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmz114 | December 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Whatever defense this is that permits receivers to run free needs to be jettisoned.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The wind is at Rex's back.

Let's hit AA on a deep ball

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

There's that terrible Redskins defense I remember.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 26, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

good field position

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | December 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

They need to run Torain more. I think they only have 15 yards rushing.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetyou | December 26, 2010 1:55 PM |

That statement is as foolish as you are. We have an offense that relies heavily on TE and a Oline that makes the TE outlet pass a necessity. Our TE is the #2 reciever on our team but your right, we're not dependent on him. Just dumb.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

You guys over value Cooley.

He doesn't have the trade value you think.

We might have 6-10 picks next Spring without trading him, so the linemen you want can still be acquired..

So why would you do it?

Posted by: gimmesummoe | December 26, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, Cooley catches a lot of balls but he doesn't make any plays. His TD numbers have been shrinking. (6 TDs over last three seasons) Davis somehow manages to score with fewer opportunities. (7 TDs over that same period with way fewer touches) So why is Cooley so untouchable?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

two words, man crush.

Posted by: priceisright | December 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Terrible call. No way the was a pick.

Posted by: edvar | December 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Gotta run more or else you can't win...don't understand why the team doesnt run more, particularly in the seocnd half when games are close...

Also expect Jags to play even harder...they have a lot at stake...

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 26, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Why the Skins didn't disguise the defense a little so as not to leave the middle of the field so wide open is a mystery to me...

Posted by: pentagon40 | December 26, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse