Orakpo gives mini scouting report on Okung

Having starred at the University of Texas, Redskins linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo is very familiar with former Oklahoma State tackle Russell Okung, whom the Redskins could select with the fourth overall pick in the April 22-24 draft.

Orakpo and Okung had a spirited battle while playing in the Big 12 Conference, and Okung should be a successful pro, Orakpo said Thursday afternoon.

"He's a Big 12 guy, man, a lot of Big 12 guys are really good," Orakpo said. "I've got a lot of respect for him. Me and him, we had a good battle my senior year. He's a guy that's got great feet.

By Jason Reid  |  March 25, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo , Jason Reid , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Wilson signs with Redskins
Next: Agent says Larry Johnson's absence was due to doctor's appointment

Comments

Did someone threaten The Mayor's job? This is more output than all off season to date.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | March 25, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

J Reid and them keeping the streets wet today.

Post getting flipped faster than hotcakes.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 25, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

To catch the game with your Cornell friends in Shanghai, head to the Camel Sports Bar at #1 YueYang Lu. Its near DongPing Lu

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Chris wilsopn is only a 3 year vet? Seems like he's been hanging on for a lot longer than that. Maybe it's just me....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Okung >> Orakpo

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

And for you folks in the Tampa-St. Pete area, go see Cornell at Ferg's Sports Bar and Grill at 1320 Central Avenue.

Or you can go to the Hooters at 13606 Bruce B Downs Blvd

and of course, in S. Tampa, you can watch at Walters Press Box Sports Emporium and Eatery, 222 S. Dale Mabry Hwy

Remember to wear RED

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Name two things [Zorn] did well, please. I don't even believe he was a great QB coach.

Posted by: whydoIcare
------------
Hey, that was the best swinging gate play the NFL has seen in decades, at least. And, uh... He kept it medium well.

Posted by: closer44 | March 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Bean and who ever else commented about Zorn, I know hes hated up in here. I really do not have much to say that went well for the man. But I look at how the average player talked about him, how they continued to play for him, not all players but most, and how, well, I have nothing really to support it. I just think Zorn wasn't given a full chance. He was Danny Boy's puppet, while he waited for a big name coach like Cohwer and Shanny and ZOrn was stuck in it. Thats all im saying about Zorn, I agree he wasn't any good for DC and it was time for him to go...

Moving on, Gatorskinz, please stop this. Until Tebow proves he can throw a ball without that ridiculous loop in his motion I do not want to hear about him. He was a great college player. NO one denies that. He was awesome. But his game will not translate into the nfl. If you watch his passes, while they were completed they were not accurate. He does not have a big arm and this is all with a motion he had been using since he was a kid. Asking him to completely change his windup and then expecting him to, a. keep it fixed during pressure situations, and b. maintain that same ability that his old one had is pretty ridiculous.

He is a project to say the least, and while I do not doubt his character, his leadership, and his college stats... none of that means he will be a success in the NFL.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Okung >> Orakpo

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 2:41 PM

Huh?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll be in Kurgan, Russia in the Siberian territory tonight. Can you help me out?

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 25, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

. I just think Zorn wasn't given a full chance

Sorry...that line of thinking is devoid of reality...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 25, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

This was a few posts back, after people had moved on. You decide.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | March 25, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

spent way too much time defending Tebow and didn't address a lot of the reasons people don't think his game will translate to the NFL.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 25, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This was a few posts back, after people had moved on. You decide.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | March 25, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse
-----------

...lies, damn lies, and statistics...

Posted by: closer44 | March 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

Wear Red. Carry a F-Putin sign. Do that and the locals will help you find the sports bar with the game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Shanny stole my shirt.

Posted by: _Stumped_

P, if you need a shirt, hit me up. Shirts is my bidness.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Tebow will be the cream of this year's QB crop. If we get him in round #2, consider me more than happy.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks comrade!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I like that Shanny keeps the door open on the 4-3, because who knows we may end up with Suh/mcCoy.

I'm going to agree with this brian Orakpo guy in that I would love to see Okung here, we need blockers

I also like how many mocks have Okung and Bulaga valued at 4 & 5, that's 2 OT's that aren't a reach.

Oh yeah, and 85% of RI voters think Campbell should start, after he outperforms everyone else of course, including Lame Bradford

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"Very strong, very athletic for a tackle, and whoever picks him up got a hell of a player. I know what type of player he is, and he brings a lot to the table as far as stopping those big-play pass rushers. I'd love to see him here. We need a blocker. We need some blockers. We'll see." --BRIAN ORAKPO

You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft.

Hmmmm, unless it's a double reverse fakeout. Yeah,. maybe that's the plan....

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 |

Perhaps, before the draft, you should say a little prayer.

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft.

Hmmmm, unless it's a double reverse fakeout. Yeah,. maybe that's the plan....

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how much we can really hide it. I think we have some people convinced we want Clausen but the reality is that we have no left tackles on the roster and arguably no right tackles either. It's kind of obvious who we want. We're kind of like the Rams this year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 25, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 |

Perhaps, before the draft, you should say a little prayer.

Posted by: TheCork

And also sprinkle some holy water in your rooms and cut a check for 10% of your income to the church.

And lastly insult anyone who has an agnostic view.

You do that, and god will bless you with Tim Tebow.

For the bible tells me so.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

To quote : "Just factually incorrect. He had 2 years, you think that if he was 10-6 and made the playoffs this year, he'd have gotten fired??

Sorry...that line of thinking is devoid of reality..."

Actually yes Zorn would have been fired if he took the team to 13-3 and lost the Superbowl. Don't forget Norv Turner was canned in the midst of leading the NFC East. And Marty was canned after winning 8 of his last 11 games - he needed some time to figure out how to use the free agent/fossil signings of D. Sanders, B. Smith and M. Carrier.

Jim Zorn. Great human being. Terrible HC. Now can we just look to the future, or are all the posters on here going to rant on about Wilber Marshall, Joe Gibbs and how we should have resigned Mark Schlereth 85 years ago.

Posted by: scoot21 | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Okung >> Orakpo

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 2:41 PM

Huh?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 25, 2010 2:47 PM

Orackpo was pwned by Okung in college. Consistently....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"If we get him he's the only person that could stop me from getting to JC at anything more than a brisk jog." - Orakpo

Posted by: Keiser | March 25, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

We need to get rid of Carlos Rogers and try to get a third round pick to see if we can get another lineman in that round or trade down in the first round if someone wants to move up to get another second or third round pick. Just trade back no more than three slots. A little to early for draft senarios, but I'm ready for some football!!!! All this info today is killing me.

Posted by: Hackersk | March 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn. Great human being. Terrible HC.

Posted by: scoot21

Zorn is a known associate of George Bush.

Just how great is he really?

j/k, kinda sorta

Posted by: RedDMV | March 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 |

Perhaps, before the draft, you should say a little prayer.

Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:12 PM
-------------------------
You must be related Timmie Tebow. Why do you people think that Tebow as such a helluva football player?

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 25, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Okung >> Orakpo

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 2:41 PM

Huh?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 25, 2010 2:47 PM

Orackpo was pwned by Okung in college. Consistently....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2010 3:20 PM
-------------
Agree to disagree on this one. Orakpo's senior year saw him consistently get past Okung. He had 6 solo tackles and a sack that game.

Posted by: lingering_lead | March 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

FORGET QUARTERBACK! DRAFT OKUNG!

Posted by: newmexicofan | March 25, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that eliminates Okung--either that or Shanahan will have a rather testy conversation with Brian.You DON'T endorse the guy you want before the draft.
Hmmmm, unless it's a double reverse fakeout. Yeah,. maybe that's the plan....
Posted by: TheCork | March 25, 2010 3:08 PM

Personally, I don't think there's any reason to be concerned that Orakpo is giving away anything. He's not Shanahan. And who is there above us in the draft who is going to change their pick because we Okung? They either want him or they don't. Will they trade out of 1, 2, or 3 to a team that wants Okung? Possibly. But teams below us have to figure there's at least a 50-50 chance we'll grab him anyway, and would move up if they were that desperate for him. But this draft is supposed to be deep in tackles, so I can't see someone trading up to get a tackle.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 25, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree with just about everyone else on the subject! We need O-linemen like tiger woods needs women!!!!! LOTS

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | March 25, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

We gotta have at least 2 o-linemen outta this draft class!! We probably could use 3!!! For the first time in a VERY long time I feel like I can trust the coach and gm! They are great football minds and are gonna bring back the glory days!!!! HAIL

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | March 25, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

We simply cannot go through another season with a dysfunctional O line. We cannot draft a Bradord or Clausen, then stick JC or Grossman in to "caretake" and get the feces kicked out of them while we suffer through another terrible season. It would be bad for the players and fan's morale, and would completely negate the new sense of change and optimism that Shannahan has brought to the team. It is one thing to encourage realistic expectations and be willing to accept only modest improvement, it is another to leave a huge gaping whole not at just one position, but a whole position area, the O line, and doom the team to disaster before the season even begins, when something can be done about it. Use out 1st and 2nd round pics on a LT and RT, and if Campbell doesn't have a good year, start looking for a new QB NEXT year when there will actually be an O line capable of protecting him.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 26, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse