Posted at 1:49 PM ET, 12/31/2010

Orakpo 'pretty sure' he's going to play vs. Giants

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said outside linebacker Brian Orakpo, who missed last week's victory over Jacksonville with groin and hamstring injuries, is "fine" after a week of practice and should play in Sunday's season finale against the New York Giants.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to play," Orakpo said. "Looked good throughout the week. I'll be dressed on Sunday."

The question would be: Why? The Redskins have long since been eliminated from the playoffs, and Orakpo -- who has 8-1/2 sacks in his second season in the NFL -- could take the week off and assure himself of better health going into the offseason.

"I'm a guy that, I love football," Orakpo said. "I don't want to miss anything, regardless of the situation -- we're out of the playoffs, we could be resting [and] getting ready for next year. I just want to go out there with all my teammates, because we might not have everybody back next year, most likely."

Cornerback Carlos Rogers, however, is a "long-shot" to play on Sunday because of a calf injury, Shanahan said. Rogers has played in only 12 games this season because of various leg injuries. He has two interceptions and two forced fumbles.

By Barry Svrluga  | December 31, 2010; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  Brian Orakpo, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday's game will be crucial for Grossman
Next: Shanahan impressed after last practice of season

Comments

FIRST to say that Orakpo is all man. We need more like him.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | December 31, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Sit him. I want him going into the offseason w/o him reinjuring himself.

Next YR when we have a legit NT, add at least one 3-4 DE, and he has pass rushing 3-4 OLB (instead of a DT) on the other side... I'm looking for a monster season from him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hope we get a look at Jackson and Orakpo on the field at the same time, the former looked great last week.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Hope we get a look at Jackson and Orakpo on the field at the same time,...

I agree.

Put RobJax and B Orakpo on the field at the same time, give them limited pass coverage responsibilities (a la Harrison/Woodley), and let them hit Eli early and often.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 31, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Cool...I'm 'pretty sure' I'll be able to watch on sunday.

Is CR22 becoming injury prone?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 31, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

RI New Year's Resolutions

--no blogs fights with trolls

--bring back HTTR to end posts

--no discussion of any other sport but football

--posts must be long if they are interesting and short if they are dumb

--no wacky trade scenarios will be submitted, but plenty of 'I told you so!' once they happen

--all bloggas must stand in line once plates 'o crow are ready for them to eat

--F Dallas and F Philly and F New York should be the new oaths

--the gloves are off in terms of assessing the Shahanan/Allen rebuild

--the following bloggas are awarded dap pounds for keeping this thing flowin' in 2010:

beantowngreg, Diesel44, redDMV, romolongballs, flounder21, hessone, i8hdallas, beep-beep, brownwood, pabrian2003, playaction, debaitor, mhartz, p1funk, scottcampbell1975, mrredskin21, learnedhand, mcoleman51, redskinhead, vic1, wireman, monk811, frediefritz, brandon_in_cali, thinker_, moodlymoodlymoo, skinsneedagm, francobegie, periculum, frak,...

...and if we forgot ya', it doesn't mean we didn't remember ya'.

Peace and Happy New Year.

HTTR

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 31, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't hurt yourself Rak, we need you for next year.

Happy New Year all.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 31, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Hope we get a look at Jackson and Orakpo on the field at the same time,...

I agree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 31, 2010 2:12 PM

___________________________________

put both of them as well as Perry Riley to pair up with Fletcher at ILBs so we'll have an idea of how well they can play with this Linebacking core

Posted by: datruth21 | December 31, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: datruth21 | December 31, 2010 2:41 PM

Coach Has wants Rocky Mac back which is a little surprising to me. I like what little I saw in Riley. Hopefully he'll get some more reps this last game.

Posted by: TWISI | December 31, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 31, 2010 2:36 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Moe. I liked most of your resolutions, except for the one about no discussion of other sports. Come spring, we're all going to want make mention of the doings in baseball and it won't be complete w/o your Yankee talk.

Happy New Year to all and...

HTTR

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 31, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

--all bloggas must stand in line once plates 'o crow are ready for them to eat

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 31, 2010 2:36 PM

MistaMoe explained to me the difference between big booty and hot booty, but I don't think he understands much about eating crow, probably because he's never eaten it himself.

Moe--Roast beef is served on plates, not crow. And crow is ready to eat as soon as the crow-eater has earned it, not when it's cleaned, dressed, and cooked. That's quail, duck, goose, or some other game bird.

Crow is eaten raw and it's thrown before all the crow eaters. They don't "stand in line." They get down on the floor and eat their crow--feathers, bones, and all--like dogs or hyenas.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 31, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

let's see if I can do this right moe,

peterbilt who ? don't know him

I love football and football, also football

I hope this is long enough to be considered interesting

keep all draft picks, got that one covered

I posted "boycott snyder" too many times, I'm eating crow everyday on that one

F Dallas and F Philly and F New York

not going to beat the dead horse shanahan and allen, but please do a better job with securing draft picks

hope I passed the test moe

happy new year RI peeps

HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | December 31, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

meep meep

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | December 31, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

RE: Jake Locker

What I like about Locker is his athleticism, arm strength, mechanics, competitiveness, & leadership.

What's hard to overlook his accuracy, decision making, & field vision.

Consider these games...

9/18 Neb L 56-21 4 COMP 20 ATTS YDs 20.0% 45LG 1 TD 2 INT

11/18 UCLA W 24-7 10 21 68 47.6 22 0 1

12/30 Neb W 19-7 5 16 56 31.3 26 0 0

Granted he won two of those games and Neb has the 2nd best CB (Amukamara) in the draft but those stat lines are a reason for caution. At the end of the day there are times where he flashes big time ability as both a passer and an athlete, showing shades of a right handed Young or Elway. And for this reason I think Shanahan will take him if he's on the board when we pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 31, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We should draft Von Miller OLB out of Texas A&M, get him opposite of Orakpo and have Carter and Alexander come in as Subs.

Posted by: yaredyilma012 | December 31, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

ORAKPO is the Skids' sole sure bulwark upon which the team might hope to build a winner.

The rest of the team could be released today, be replaced by all free agents and draftees, and finish next season like this one, at 5-11 or 6-10.

The situation, with Schneidie still the owner, is THAT dire!

Posted by: clitteigh | December 31, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@clitteigh- i wouldn't go that far. How about Landry, Williams, Davis, Cooley, Armstrong, Fletcher, to name a few?

Posted by: bostskin | January 1, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I will be the first to eat crow this year, Thank you.( Thanks alot Big Al ! ) I figured 8-8 at least! Oh well, crow aint so bad.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 1, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse