Brooks: "I Know I'm on the Line"

From Jason Reid

After his poor performance against the Saints, rookie punter Durant Brooks figures his job could be in jeopardy if he struggles again this week. "I know I'm on the line," Brooks said, "with probably guys coming in here and working out if I don't have a good game. Who knows what'll happen?"

Brooks, given the job after battling veteran Derrick Frost in the preseason, had a rough game, averaging 33 yards (with only a 5.5-yard net average) on two punts. Brooks's poor second punt late in the third quarter contributed to Reggie Bush's 55-yard touchdown that helped New Orleans take a 24-15 lead. Brooks also botched a hold on a short first-half field-goal attempt that place kicker Shaun Suisham missed.

Special teams coach Danny Smith told Brooks he has to "do better," Brooks said. "I know what I did, he knows what I did, [and] he knows it was a bad game. I've got to come out and have a good game and show improvement." Brooks, a sixth-round pick from Georgia Tech, won the Ray Guy Award as college football's top punter in the 2007 season. Brooks had a 40.6-yard net average as a senior, and a 42.8-yard average on 13 punts -- of which five were downed inside the 20 -- in the preseason.

"It's very difficult," Brooks said. "You have to wait a week for another game to play good. It's a good thing we have practice all this week to get a lot of punts in, a lot of work. Once I get going again, I think I could put it behind me."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 16, 2008; 2:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cards-Skins in Review
Next: Horton Named NFC Defensive Player of Week

Comments

Brooks is awful. Cerrato further Proves his worthlessness. Bring back Frosty!!! And brooks runs like a girl in panties.

Posted by: FourTwo8 | September 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

First?

Posted by: PA SKins Fan | September 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

---- reposted ----

Seems the Cards are like a lot of teams. Some strengths (as Greg knows, their WRs are outstanding) and some talent (Adrian Wilson) in other places and a lot of in between stuff.

When we beat Miami in OT in the opener last year, we thought it was a good win. Turns out needing OT to beat Miami was an indicator of a problem. AZ just crushed Miami, and thats what good teams do.

Put me in the camp of thinking that putting pressure on Warner is hugely important. Tipped passes could also make a difference. Seems like this is a game for Jason Taylor and/or Andre Carter to shine.

Shutting down the AZ run attack is very doable. Be interesting to see if our DTs can dominate the interior.

On offense, we've got a lot of pieces that came together in week 2. Our WRs are very thin, but Santana looks like he's back to being a major playmaker and Portis is running strong. Expect to see a lot of Mike Sellers leading the way. Don't really know much about the AZ defense.

AZ is 2-0, they are a game in front of SF, who they already beat, and already 2 games ahead of Seattle. To me, it looks like AZ could lead the NFC West wire to wire. I'm sure they are looking at this game to see if they are for real, or if they are 2-0 because of weak competition. No doubt, they will see this game as huge.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 2:32 PM

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Way to force Zorn to keep all the draft picks, Vinny.

Looks like Hardy and DeSean Jackson are doing well, how our are 3 WRs doing?

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Frost was a problem. Durant Brooks hasn't looked like the solution so far.

But we used a pick on him, so we'll let him develop and see what happens. Doubt his job is really on the line.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Brooks had one bad game...Frost had about 14 last year. I didn't hear anybody trash Brooks after his Week 1 performance so he must of held his own. He'll do fine this weekend.

Posted by: Chris | September 16, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Another One Bites the Dust

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

madden said that form is one of Zorns biggest points, Brennan had terrible form on that play. By the way I think he could be a good QB just not now this or next esason.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Just don't have any fourth downs until we're in field goal range. Problem solved.

Seriously, the kid's got tons of raw ability and we drafted him. Lets develop him. When he gets his technique down he should be able to boom them better than most other punters in the league. Some of the ones he hit in college were epic.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Stu - what the hell are you talking about, why do you keep bringing up Colt brennan? Get over it already.

Posted by: Stu? | September 16, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Colt who?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 16, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I was all for Brook in the preseason cause Frost always infuriated me, brooks loked terrible that game but he still has the abailty toi get it done for a long time.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan or Young AC Slater. Who is hotter?

Posted by: Fourtwo8 | September 16, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Why can't we give Brooks more than 2 GAMES?!?!

Did anyone see D Frost give up a safety when he miss handled the snap?

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++

It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

dam! with all these beeps how and I supposed to antagonize Greg?!?!?!

I hate talking about kickers...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Reposted:
An email sent to me :) :

Dear concerned reader of Jason La Canfora's Redskins Insider,

I would like to inform you that Mr. La Canfora recently came to me to treat an issue he was having. Turns out the medication I have been giving Mr. La Canfora to treat this virus, the medical name is rufus pes morbus but most of you know it as Red Sox Fever. It turns out that the medication not only makes Mr. La Canfora feel better about the state of his Red Sox but but all sports franchises.

This is a fascinating find and I will be doing a detailed write-up shortly that I hope to publish in either the New-England Journal of Medicine or Sports Illustrated.

For now, please understand that we are forging ahead in a new fronteer, and its too early to say if this is a permanent or temporary effect.

-JLC's Doctor

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

+++++++
I Am Changing, Jennifer Hudson

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++
All Eyez on Me, Tupac

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Frost cause a safety this past weekend, when the ball sailed through his hands for Green Bay?

Anyway, the only people on their defense who stood out to me, were, Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, and Adrian Wilson. Their left DE, Antonio Smith, could be in for a long day.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
I've Got So Much to Give, Natalie Cole

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He should never have had the job. Being a holder is key, and Frost was a great holder. As soon as Brooks messed up that hold and blew the field goal which could have ended up costing us the game...I LAUGHED AT WHAT A JOKE VINNY CERATTO IS!

If the broadcasters hadn't sucked monkey butt, they would have jumped all over the idiotic decision to keep Brooks over Frost. A decision that was simply made to justify the draft class.

...Pothetic.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 16, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

During the pregame and during the halftime, Brooks had some boomers ... nearly bounced off the sky. Rookie mistakes ... maybe distracted by the heat (I know I was -- did I mention it was the hottest game in FedEx since 1996 or something like that?).

He should, however, be replaced as the holder. Not b/c it doesn't make sense for the three guys holding oddball roster spots to hang together, but because the Skins should have a fake place kick play in the playbook ... and someone who can throw would be good to be a holder for such a play. The Todd? ARE? Portis? Lozo? [That might be too much for Lorenzo Alexander ... I think he might already be the second punter.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

++++++++

Nothing But a Z Thing (Remix of Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
How Can I Ease the Pain, Phyllis Hyman

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
We Are Family (Joe Gibbs remix of Sister Sledge)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Too Easy..
Hail To the Redskins

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
I'm Going Down, Rose Royce

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

+++Uh, Stu - I heard Madden say the EXACT OPPOSITE. He said the unconventional throwing style was actually more common than acknowledged and that he reminded him of Thiesmann. Good company indeed.+++-DIK

Madden pointed out his "pretty ballerina" style on one pass, and they showed it in replay, with a camera focusing on his footwork, which looked like a toddler learning to walk.

It's not the arm that's his problem, it's his footwork. I've heard many an expert point out how critical that is for a thrower, just as the legs provide the power to a pitcher.

Repitition, muscle memory, experience, etc is what he needs. Zorn knows that too.

He picked the kid, specifically, he's not about to throw him to the wolves, unless both guys ahead of him are hurt or ineffective. I think Zorn can do for Brennan what Spurrier refused to do for Ramsey. Bring him along, let him learn.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
Patience, Dreamgirls Soundtrack

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

++++++++
Fake Yourr Way to the Top, Dreamgirls Soundtrack

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea of putting ARE back there to hold for kicks, most all teams just throw a qb or ppunter in our case back there. ARE turns that menial duty into a threat, run, pass, or just go with the kick. ARE being a comsumate team player im sure would have no problem with that duty.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:35 PM

"Beat on the Brat" by the Ramones...dedicated to that lovable cut up...sports_guru...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 16, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Suck it up Brooks..we're all in this together

Posted by: Vinny C | September 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Greg - Did you read the post from the RI Scouting Department?

Adrian Wilson and Rodgers-Cromartie have been lining up on Offense and Boldin wants to play as well!

They havn't touched the ball yet, but this may be the week...........

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

rookie is as rookie does. this won't be the last bad game he ever has. I guess its better to get last year's best college punter than to keep the same ol' same; although, i would have preferred a Stephen Heyer-esque OL instead of a punter in the 6th round.

I guess by getting that punter, Vinny was accepting the reality of an aging OL.

Posted by: ProfWrightBSU | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

++++++++

Touch Me, Tease Me, Case
Somebody's Watching Me, Rockwell
Love Me in a Special Way, DeBarge
Ring the Alarm, Beyonce
Hot in Herre, Nelly
The Whole Town's Laughing At Me, Teddy Pendergras
Say A Little Prayer, Aretha Franklin
Why You Wanna Treat Me So Ba, Prince

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

How bad is it, S_G's hate of the front office is making me like the front office.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say Boldin wants to play defense. Safety...

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE don't interpret this as a shot at the FO--oh, what the hell, go ahead--but I think Zorn wanted to keep Frostie.

When Brooks blew the FG hold, the camera caught Zorn uncharacteristically throwing down his clipboard in disgust. Seems an overreaction for someone, if he had hand-picked his punter/holder.

Nope, I'll bet Cerrato forced HIS draft pick on Zorn--who saw he punting about even, but wanted the more dependable holder.

Not to say that Cerrato may not be proven right in the long run, but the angry reaction on Zorn's part seemed telling.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say Boldin wants to play defense. Safety...

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:53 PM

That still won't help him get a bigger paycheck...

Posted by: Chris | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Way to force Zorn to keep all the draft picks, Vinny.

Looks like Hardy and DeSean Jackson are doing well, how our are 3 WRs doing?

Posted by: | September 16, 2008 2:35 PM

---

Hey! What about me?

Posted by: EDDIE ROYAL | September 16, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

... I think Zorn can do for Brennan what Spurrier refused to do for Ramsey. ...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:49 PM

More poetic symmetry. Zorn and (Heisman-winning) Spurrier were the starting QBs for the expansion Seahawks and Buccs, respectively ... and Seahawks beat the Buccs. [Buccs went 0-26 in their first two seasons ... GO OLE BALL COACH!]

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for the update, but I can't open linky type stuff....

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

La Bamba

Posted by: Ritchie Valens | September 16, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

+++Greg - Did you read the post from the RI Scouting Department?

They havn't touched the ball yet, but this may be the week...........
Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 2:52 PM+++

Wow, Great Idea!!

I hope Zorn reads this and tries the same strategy with Thomas, Davis and Kelly.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Elfin to da Post | September 16, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins Offense does everything right, Brooks shopuld not have to punt

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is obvious racism against the white man here right? Why can't we be patient!

Yet if he does this for 3 or 4 more years should we still be patient because it might offend someone!?! GET OVER IT PEOPLE OPEN YOUR EYES

THI SORGINZATION IS BEING RUN TO THE GROUND

Posted by: Sports Guru | September 16, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Cork - you want them to play on Defense or you just want them on the field?

I don't have a problem right now as long as everyone's snaps increase game by game....

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell and Clinton Portis are arguing on 980.

Its getting ugly

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Details please, WY

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS....for those less fortunate.

Mitchell needs to just take his angry, grudge holding a$$, and go away...

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Its really bad, its the John Thompson show.

CP just told BM to come to the park to settle it like a man

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar, Zorn was getting amped on the sideline all game. I wouldn't interpret that outburst to mean that Zorn wanted Frost. Granted, it LOOKED like Frost would have won the competition under game conditions (although unlike Brooks, Frost did have a preseason shank), but its a little much to read anger at a botched hold to mean Zorn never wanted him in the first place.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

settle what? what's the gist of their arguement

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

CP shouldn't waste his time, nor his energy with that clown.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

It's getting really ugly!

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

When CP made the remark about wanting to play for another team for one week.

Its not the first time that these guys have gone at it.

I know they dont like each other. He said BM talked about him behind is back.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

CP just told BM to come to the park to settle it like a man

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:12 PM

I really like the 2008 version of CP.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Bm didnt say anything out of line. Basically that CP should not have said something like that out in the open.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

It's BEYOND UGLY!

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BMitch is funny, but he does get a loose with his criticism. This is Portis' day job, so I can see him taking it seriously. What was the issue topic? Saying you'd like to play for someone else for a week midweek?

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

4th, give me some stuff....

Posted by: GREG | September 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

John Thompson is being the peacemaker.

I think these guys may actually fight at some point. It got pretty heated. BM said he would go to the park and talk to him in person.

"Step up like a man, you dont have to go on TV and talk about me" CP

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

He is yelling at the crew and talking trash BM always slaming him on TV and Radio!

He's ready to knock out B Mitch!

John Thompson is trying to intervine.....

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"real talk is when someone tells you did wrong" BM

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

BM to CP

"Why didnt you step to me and ask me"

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch is now yelling at CP!

CP said he wanted to 'steal' him!

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

**b!tch slaps**

Posted by: not Sallie Mae | September 16, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

CP said he wanted to 'steal' him when he saw him at the game but he chose to keep it moving at the time....

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

CP said he didnt talk directly to Mitchell cause they would probably ended up "scuffling"

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Getting rid of Frost this season was a mistake. Special teams is one of the first aspects of the game you want to win or at least control.

In picking Brooks we gave up experience & strength (Frost could tackle well) and gained...another inconsistent foot.

Brooks is able to suck it up & perform, I take it all back. But that's a gamble, as keeping him was. With Frost you had a manageable utility.

___

Cork,

Footwork is key. Brennan may be a little long in the tooth to adjust that. I also heard Madden say not to mess with his mechanics as he gets the job done.

...now, not that Madden is the be all... And I agree, I'd much rather have Brennan on the bench... but if Soup ends up screwing the pooch, we'll need help. I like the potential Colt represents.

Posted by: Dik | September 16, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd take B. Mitch to win vs CP.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Steal = punch, usually in the face

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

dc, thanks so much.

I'm 38, and incredibly unhip, so I had NO IDEA what that meant.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Dik, I disagree. Brooks had two bad punts. Frost has a career of them.

Also, on Portis stealing Brian Mitchell ... sounds like conduct detrimental to Mitchell's face.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch is now yelling at CP!

CP said he wanted to 'steal' him!

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:18 P

They seem pretty friendly. Was this a joke? Mitchell seems to be kissing up to him.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If they fight, Snyder will find a way to make money on it.

Instead of an octagon, it will be in a ring shaped like a football helmet

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Steal = punch, usually in the face

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:25 PM

Actually, it's a sneak punch in the face to an unsuspecting joker.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Steal = punch, usually in the face

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:25 PM

Thanks sween. I have to admit that I did not know that. I am up there in age though...(or is it tho...)

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Sheriff Gonna Git Ya and the posse are gonna have themselves a roundup.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

John Thompson told them bot the pretty much knock it off and changed the subect.

CP does the interview every Tuesday and I guess today it just got out of hand.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought they did not like eachother

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 16, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch would so own CP - B Mitch looks like he can take a punch, because his head is shaped like George Foreman's.

Posted by: V. Cerrato | September 16, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

After game 1:Bambi theme song
After game 2:Eye of the tiger
(that's an Auburn reference for some of the slower troll types).

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Steal = punch, usually in the face

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:25 PM

Sweeny and Greg; you don't have to go to a website to know what the slang is.

Just ask 'us'.

Steal means punch. Direction isn't included in the meaning. Just 'punch'.

Example:

This Bamma A$$ Dallas Fan from PG came by the bar and starting talking Dallas like this is Texas. So I got up and stole his bama a$$ right in the jaw.....

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what any of that meant.....

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Now that CP is off the phone, Im anxious to see what B Mitch says now.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

4th, how the hell does "steal" come to mean "punch"? It just doesn't make sense... any idea?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch would destroy CP for fun.

Posted by: Momma Portis | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I know a "bama" is a foolish person. But is it a backformation from "Alabama?" If not, what's the etymology?

Posted by: synk | September 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I also tuned out of the discussion on "Definition and Usage of 'Bama'." Too many conflicting interpretations. I have this vague sense that its an insult, but how strong an insult I couldn't guess. Is there a Cliff Notes version of that?

Back to context, I like Clinton Portis alot more than I like Brian Mitchell. [Although BMitch makes me laugh alot more often.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I went to highschool is Suitland, so I knew what it was right away.

I feel special

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Steal is the intention Stole is the action takin.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM

That is such an old expression.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If you really want to get old school you can say that BMitch was "jonin" on CP

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM

NAte, I don't know. It's been in DC Urban talk for over 15 years now. I don't know about the nation (We should ask Portis). I thought it spread out to the suburbs by now?? It makes sense to me because it is like second nature.

Greg - You weren't on the 'Bama' thread?

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:31 PM

I personally believe all U.S. Texans from the AlaBama should have access to maps, like such as, of the PG County, to help the education of children in the Dallas, where it is needed.

Posted by: MsTeenSouthCarolina | September 16, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Steal is the intention Stole is the action takin.

Posted by: Stu | September 16, 2008 3:38 PM

I used it in the proper context, right?

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MsTeenSouthCarolina | September 16, 2008 3:41 PM

CLASSIC

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 16, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

4th, I know ALA-bama....but not much bama after that.

Posted by: Greg | September 16, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

What about Barack O-bama

Posted by: Cheyenne, Wy | September 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I always found it funny how Czabe and Andy would dog the coach (Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn) and then kiss up to them when they are on the air with them, and then go back to killing them (which is usually very accurate and very funny) after the coach was gone.

Posted by: What? Who? | September 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Nate, the deeper question is how does "punch" come to mean "hit"?

[and how many connections it takes to get to Kevin Bacon]

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Thompson is such a grouchy old bastard. He cuts off people after 7 seconds." Posted by: Anonymous

Funny story, at least to me.....
Before Jim Rome was a well known talk show host he had the evening slot on XTRA in San Diego. I called in to speak with the talk show host prior to Rome's show (Lee Hacksaw Hamilton) but was on hold forever and his show ended. So, they asked me if I wanted to stay on and ask Romey my question and I did. I was not familiar with his format and "act" so needless to say I got his show off to a dull roar when I asked (quite plainly) for any info. on the Wizards summer camp....

I could hear air coming out of tires all over the jungle, albeit a smaller San Diego only jungle.

Posted by: isnadd | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I believe you used it correctly. In the past tense, one would have "stole that bama up."

I'm from the suburbs (Howard County). Steal has been in the suburban slang lexicon for several years. Bama less so.

Posted by: synk | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I bet Cooley could punt!!!

Posted by: Chris | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone missed it from MMQB Tuesday ed.from Peter King today:

• A GOOD DAY FOR CAMPBELL. From Ted, of Leesburg, Va.: "You've been an unabashed supporter of Jason Campbell. I hope you're right. Maybe that throw against the Saints starts him on the right path.''

Remember this about Campbell -- he's had eight offensive coordinators designing plays for him in his past nine years of football. The play to which you refer -- the long touchdown bomb to Santana Moss, with traffic in his face, knowing he was going to get hit hard, was the kind of throw good quarterbacks have to make once or twice a Sunday if they're going to be consistent performers in the NFL.

"Santana was the second option on the play,'' Campbell told me Sunday night. "[Antwaan] Randle El was the first. But at the beginning of the play, I saw they had no middle safety over the top, so I knew Santana would probably be open deep if he could get a step on his guy. I knew I was running out of time and I was going to get hit, but I also knew Santana was going to get it if I laid it out for him.'' Perfect throw.

"The main thing is getting comfortable in the offense," he added. "It's not an easy offense to learn, but I like it. I hear what people are saying, and I know some people have been down on me here. But going from one offense to another every season makes it pretty hard. This is the most pressurized position in the game. I feel like I'm getting there."

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Coach Thompson just said about Koken "Let's pick on the white horse"

Shades of TK?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Bears game last season and fans were berating Frost that game because of his line drive, squib kicks that landed out of bounds. But although those kicks were ugly, they were intentional, kicked low about 40 yards out of bounds and away from Hester.

As a supporter of Frost, I didn't understand the ridicule and thought it unfair given what was obviously a strategy to punt the ball nowhere near the most dangerous return man in the league. And the punts went an average of about 40 yards, so bfd!

I was sick Sunday watching an unproven rookie nearly lose the game for us while Frosty is up north helping the cheeseheads reach the playoffs.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 16, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

What/who, that's the reason I DISLIKE Czaban so much ... the guy is fraud. I like guys who call it/ask it like they see it. Sonny. Riggins. Jasno. Also that guy with the teeth who used to (still does?) do SportsMachine ... chats it up with Jim Vance. That guy.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: synk | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM

Thanks Synk. I lived my High School years in MoCo (Silver Spring) and it was well entrenched there.

Except, it would just be "stole that bama." Leave out the 'up'.

Posted by: 4th | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"You know what's coming. Picking up the hammer. Steal in the back of the head."

Nope, that can't be right.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 16, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It takes Mitchell about 7 seconds to get into fight mode. How do I know this? Special teams plays take around 7 seconds and at the end of just about ALL OF THEM, you'd see Brian Mitchell getting into it with someone

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

beep it over for Horton props

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

To all not of the "culture"(black,arfri/amer.)a steal is a sucker punch,usually to the face. A "bama" is person not cool in appearance i.e.clothes,hair,attitude. CP vs. BMitch I'll take "B" and by the way Clinton should have kept his mouth closed, period!!

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | September 16, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Steal-Stolen -- means the same as Dotted.

I stole that kid in the eye -- I dotted that kid in the eye.

Dude tried to steal my so I dotted his punk a**.

And I am 40; but very hip and extremely handsome.

smooches

Posted by: skinsfaninsanfran | September 16, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 16, 2008 2:54 PM

Cork, This isn't what Zorn and Danny Smith told the press. They said Brooks was their choice.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2008 2:47 PM

I agree completely! I never understood why the punter is the holder. That job should be reserved for the backup QB -- so fake kicks and muffed snaps will be respected.

Posted by: Siris | September 16, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis is 'jive like that' with the hands. That youngin' B Mitch don't want none

Posted by: Gregskins | September 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The GM selects players for training camp and the coaches decide which ones make the final roster.

The special teams coach wanted Brooks, because Frost is inconsistent and Brooks has more upside. That said -- he's still a rookie!

Posted by: Siris | September 16, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FourTwo8

Knee Jerk as usual!

Posted by: Skip in Va | September 16, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

"I never understood why the punter is the holder. That job should be reserved for the backup QB -- so fake kicks and muffed snaps will be respected."

Backup QB. Didn't we once have a starting QB doing this? I seem to recall a Moseley/Theismann combo.

Posted by: Dave! | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave! | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Brooks performance comes with the territory of putting a rookie kicker/holder on the team. It's not unusual. If they don't support him, then it is just another sign of the incompetence of this team which is considerable anyway.

Posted by: hz9604 | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I've got to be missing something,why would you have a punter holding anyway,he could get hurt on a bad snap situation and then where are you? already noted; A.R.E. or the gunslinger(Colt)should be holding.CP and B were LOL COMICAL I know they were serious, but it was goofy, CP's got to know what he said was out of line and B Mitch needs to back off a little with the criticism's although for the most part he usually dead on the money, hopefully that discussion clear's the air.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | September 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I spit in Chia Pet's face.

He's a fat bald guy whose wife is cheating on him and is miserable and takes it out on Jason Campbell.

Dude! I'm the one banging your wife! In your bed.

F CHIA PET!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

frost had a saftey, for those who are keeping score

Posted by: popefrady | September 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

brooks had a bad game but if everyone remembers frost would have bad kicks when they really needed a good kick. he would always shank a kick when they were backed up and the other team would not even have to try and return it because it would end up on the 30 or 40 yard line of the skins. so which is worse?

Posted by: rls1041 | September 18, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse