Brooks Talks of His Injury, Future

Barry Svrluga sends an update:

Rookie punter Durant Brooks, whose job is at stake and likely to be taken by a veteran at the end of today, stopped by Redskins Park for the first of two treatment sessions today on his sore right hip flexor. He said he first felt the injury, a condition he initially dealt with during his college career at Georgia Tech, during halftime of the Dallas game Sept. 21.

"I thought it was just a little sore," Brooks said. "I wanted to push through it. I tried to tough it out and it just got progressively worse over the next few weeks."

Brooks has not yet been cut, and he said, in fact, he could kick Sunday "if they decide to keep me." But given his health and performance - Brooks's net average of 32.1 yards and gross average of 39.6 yards are both last in the NFL - that seems unlikely.

"It's a little physical and a little mental," Brooks said. "I'm sitting here thinking about it, trying to get it well. I had to cut my reps in practice. I had to cut my reps in pregame warmups. Yeah, I was in pain. But I don't want to use that as an excuse. That's why I'm trying to keep it quiet. I don't really want to come out and say, 'I'm just hurt. That's why I'm punting bad' or anything."

Yesterday, during his twice-weekly radio show on ESPN980, Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' executive vice president for football operations, said Washington would have a new punter Sunday. Brooks was asked if Cerrato had communicated that to him.

"Coach Zorn and I talked yesterday, and he told me they're bringing in guys to work out and see," Brooks said. "But he hadn't made a decision yet. He didn't know what he was going to do. I don't know what they're going to do, either."

Brooks, a sixth-round draft choice in April, said he has not been informed of a timetable for a decision.

"I haven't heard anything," he said. "And I try not to worry about that. I got to get well. That's another thing. It's something I could push through, but I don't know how worse it could get, either. It's something minor now, but you keep pushing through it, it could get worse. Right now I'm just concentrating on getting well and getting my treatment."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 14, 2008; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts Plays Waiting Game
Next: Mason Isn't out of the Mix at Running Back

Comments

Bye Bye Brooksie. We hardly knew ye.

If Frost hadn't burned his bridge here when he left, I suggest we give him a shot again. Oh well.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If they sign Alexander, they will practice squad Tryon.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

kick him to the curb?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I was FIRST to say keeping Brooks was a mistake.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

About Mason-If Mason can't wrap his head around the mental aspect of the game then what he does with his feet doesn't matter.

Zorn has often said to Campbell to take a sack and give him the opportunity to call the next play. If Mason can't run the plays Zorn calls (or any coach) he'll never get the opportunity. The guys in Cinci are averaging like 2.8 yards/carry and no one is calling Mason to be third string.

Clearly there is a knock on the guy. Despite what we think we are not Pro talent evaluators.

I agree with what some said on the 3rd WR. Right now we have:

#1 who can't beat a double team.

#2 with lots of utility but at best an average route running/catching reciever.

#3 Below average special teams standout

Cooley really makes this passing game works because otherwise they'd run cover 2 and shut our passing down.

It's easy to blame the O-line or JC but as defenses get more tape on Zorn it's going to get worse. Someone needs to step up.

Posted by: Gweez | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 14, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

And I still don't think Alexander should be signed, would be fine with Rock.

This team is not in bad shape, I think a lot more is being made of this Alexander thing than is warranted, if signed, he would be a temporary measure, with the "ya never know" mentality.

The punter issue big enough on it's own, but then again, teams going through multiple kickers/punters in a season is fairly common, so no need to freak out about that either.

And I am seeing various bu11**it comments that the pass defense is suspect because of the lack of sacks.

There is a need for a pass rush, but NO, the pass defense IS NOT SUSPECT. They have been outstanding actually. If Blache can get a serious pass rush going, they'll be downright scary.

It may be time to IR Kelly, that would be a real shame too, he was progressing beautifully before the hammy that became a knee. But they need to get another wide out availble, I think that's a serious issue that really could be an issue down the road.

Posted by: craig2 | October 14, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I was FIRST to say keeping Brooks was a mistake.

Posted by: RambleOn

And keeping Frost who was cut by the Packers would have been better. Yeah that would have been smart.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 14, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Passing game is fine and no changes are needed IMO... the backs/line need to communicate better and Moss needs to hang on to the dang ball when he gets his opportunities...

Posted by: hender_22 | October 14, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Frost is so garbage. I wish we would keep Brooks in some way shape or form. I think he could be a solid punter in the future. He showed he has a great leg in college, you can't punt that well consistently by luck.

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 14, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

For some reason the last sentence never showed up on the previous post:

CL,

I will take Zorn's opinion as well, because we know the masses me included know jack sh!t about football.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October

Sir, I knew Jack Sh!t. Mr Sh!t was a friend of mine & the masses are no Jack
Sh!t.

However, the masses are often lemmings in search of a cliff when things go briefly wrong. And it will be fun to watch the lemmings in Dallas & NY all week!

Posted by: will_ga | October 14, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | October 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Come on, I can't be the only guy that laughed at that. My only question is why haven't the Chargers signed him to start over LT?

Again if this kid is a world-beater, why isn't he on anybody's team??

Posted by: TheTruth11

Why isn't Alexander on anybody's team? Surely a former MVP with loads of experience, including playoff and Super Bowl experience, should be able to crack somebody's lineup for the vet minimum.

It says a lot more about Alexander that he can't crack a roster than it does about Mason.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

HERE YA GO:
Need something to feel good about, Redskins fans? Still smarting from the inexplicable 19-17 loss to the previously pathetic Rams? Starting to wonder whether those four straight Washington victories - the last two on the Cowboys' and Eagles' own turf - were just figments of your imagination?

OK, here you go: Instead of dwelling on the negative in Sunday's game - of which there was plenty - I'd like to direct your attention to an increasingly encouraging theme in this Redskins season. I'm talking about Jason Campbell's play at the end of first halves and at the end of games. It's been nothing short of sensational. And there are few measures of a quarterback that are more significant, more revealing of the Inner QB and his ability to lead.
That's the start of a nice piece at the times:

Posted by: craig2 | October 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

TS,

He has great Preseason talent against backups and guys who do not actually play we have never seen him in a real game, and we know he can not pass protect even against backups, so your comments are off base.

Posted by: Flounder21

Essentially the same can be said of Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis.

I have no problem with SA being brought in for a look, but I don't think he's going to be a real help. He's been to three teams for tryouts. Even with his pedigree, being a former MVP with loads of experience, teams don't want him. That says a lot about him -- much more so than a guy teams are skeptical about because of a lack of experience. I never thought he was a special runner, just a product of a phenomenal offensive line in their prime.

By the way, Shaun Alexander can't pass protect either. And Mason knows the offense better than Alexander, considering the run game is the same as Gibbs' and he was here in the offseason and preseason. I'd much rather have Mason as a 3rd back than Alexander as a 3rd back (let alone a 2nd back).

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"And I still say Tryon should get a shot on punt returns, his quickness and speed would be very useful there, along with his physical style of play (wonder if it isn't just a matter of a trust issue for Zorn with him, the same way it is with the rookie WRs)."

He's been inactive every game so far. If he returned punts, someone else would have to be. Not saying it's a bad idea overall, but who would you sit in his place?

Posted by: EpsteinsMothersDoctor | October 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

If they sign Alexander, they will practice squad Tryon.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Justin Hamilton will be put on the practice squad if Reed is not hurt to Bad..

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

the Pass D is outstanding so far. We do need D Thomas to step up big. No doubt about it.

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 14, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

If he was hurt, wasn't he supposed to show up on the injury report?

Sounds like a lame-ass excuse now that the hammer is coming down on him.

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 14, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Doughty gets IR'd soon. Bad back and numbness in his foot, from what I understand.

Posted by: EpsteinsMothersDoctor | October 14, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

i couldn't agree more with gweez' comments about the redskins wr corps. it's an accident waiting to happen. kelly and thomas won't be contributing til 2010.
are the skins going to risk this season with james thrash???

Posted by: tbarz1 | October 14, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The Mason lovers are back in full force......I think I just threw up in my mouth...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 14, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What WR is going to help out at this point? You don't shut someone down without a replacement in mind.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I love our D, LOVE Blache....but our lack of pass rush (notice I didnt say sacks...) is an issue. Our DBs have been huge, but that is a suckers bet to think they wont get beat at some points going forword. We need to help out our DBs by getting more pressure.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I've been out of the loop for awhile because of a hectic new work schedule, but I'll just throw a couple of thoughts out there:

-Sunday's loss was bad but not catastrophic. Before the season started, I'm sure 99.99% of us here would have taken a 4-2 record with a win in Dallas if offered--regardless of who the losses came against. I'm one of many who thought this team would more likely be 2-4 than 4-2 after 6 games, and we're still only a game and a half out of first place. So long as this game serves as a wake up call and the team handles business heading into the bye week, there's no reason to fell down about a 6-2 record the first half of the season.

-Memo to Vinny: JUST SAY NO TO ALEXANDER! I have full faith and confidence that Rock can play well as the #2 back here. It's a better move to play him there and work Marcus Mason back into the mix if he's available. I just think it would be a bit risky to the team's chemistry to bring Alexander in; he's got a rep as a bit of a whiner and a guy who doesn't have the best work ethic. I'd rather see Mason in the mix, a guy who could be here for the long haul.

-I saw the awful shanks Brooks was putting up on Sunday first hand, but let's not cut the guy over it. If you keep him on the practice squad, OK...but he is who we thought he was--a rookie whose mistakes you'll have to live with for a while. That first punt was a beauty...if he's healthy I'm sure we'll see some more of that. Besides, I'm not sure there's anyone on the street who's better.

-No chance we lose to the Browns. I know they looked good last night, but they wanted it more than the Giants did. The Skins got smacked in the face and the Browns now have their full attention. Plus the short week will hurt the Browns. Skins win 28-17. You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Sign Marcus Mason to punt.

Posted by: Zornado | October 14, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I was FIRST to say keeping Brooks was a mistake.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 14, 2008 11:58 AM |

Don't break your arm dude.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 14, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

We need Hamilton, Doughty is far from right, he has nerve damage and numbness.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 14, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

We should never have let Ryan Clark go.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 14, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 14, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ramble, don't listen to scamp, you break that arm, you compound fracture the BLEEP out of it....please.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 14, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Sounds like the same reaction I had with all the Durant Brooks man-loving that was going on the last three weeks. All Mason has shown is that he has the potential to be a positive. All Brooks has shown is that he's been an awful and inconsistent player from day one. But I guess that blind faith wins out.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Bye Bye Brooksie. We hardly knew ye.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 14, 2008 11:57 AM

This is the dumbest comment I have seen why would you give Frost a try because he is kicking so well in GB, he is about to get cut as well, so no they should not give him another shot.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:03 PM |

PSP,

Nobody said Alexander was a world beater, he would be an OK backup for a few weeks,
he is a known commodity, Mason is not,no matter what he has done in preseason.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

he is a known commodity, Mason is not,no matter what he has done in preseason.

Posted by: Flounder21

Precisely my point. Alexander is a known commodity. And that known commodity is not good enough to make a roster on some of the most woeful teams, and in particular woeful running teams, in the league (like Detroit or Cinci).

Mason is not known. He could be bad, but he could also be a wonder. I'd take that over a guy who is "known" to be not good enough for a roster spot.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who do not remember, the idiot punter FROST SIGNED WITH THE DAMN PACKERS. Stop making stupid comments about bringing him back, he's signed, gd. Besides, why would we cut a ROOKIE punter to sign an arguably WORSE punter in Frost? Give me a break.

Posted by: james45 | October 14, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

i think alexander is not a brilliant personnel move, far from it...don't know how sold i am on mason either though...

don't know what we're going to get off the street as far as punting goes...i think maybe IR brooks, consistency is his issue...he can be a very good punter...

biggest issue on this team is a reliable 3rd reciever...would like to see more catches by thrash, i know he's been banged up...but if there is a position we need to bring in to help this team out, i think its WR. Kelly to the IR already...we don't want to injure the china doll too much more...

more chris wilson and demetric evans on the D-Line.

Posted by: carsonspence | October 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why not stick Brooks on IR and see what he can do next preseason? Obviously he's got potential ...

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | October 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I have been ready to kick the kid to the curb like everybody else. Now they say he has been hurt since the Dallas game. It doesn't look so clear to me anymore.

How about the Skins do this:

(1) Pick up a kicker that can do better right now.
(2) IR the kid and see how he does next year when he is healthy. They can always cut him then if he still stinks.

I'm not too sure on the rules but I don't know if the Skins are allowed to cut him when he is hurt without an injury settlement. They might as well IR him and hold on to his rights until they can use him or trade him.

Posted by: SoMD1 | October 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Brooks should have been cut after the Philly game, injury or not. His lousy punts directly resulted in easy punt return TD's against N.O. and Philly which put the Skins in a deep hole...not to mention the problems with his holding.

As unproductive as Thrash and Thomas have been as our 3rd WR's, I can't understand why we're risking Randle-El on punt returns, especially when he isn't productive. Let Thomas have a chance and see what he can do to contribute. He's done little to nothing as a WR so why not try him returning punts and possibly kicks.

If Rock is going to be our backup for the next few weeks, do we also want him returning kicks? I'd sooner risk Thrash or Thomas than our backup RB.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 14, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse