Brooks Works on Finding a Rhythm

From Jason Reid:

Rookie punter Durant Brooks, who struggled again last week against Philadelphia, performed well in practice and "we're trying to do a few little different things to get him ready for that single kick," Jim Zorn said. "He does really well as he's warming up. You get him warmed up, he starts getting that rhythm and he goes.

"But for punters, as well as kickers, it's one time, rest. One time, rest. And that's a big difference. That's really what he's been working on this week, trying to get that rhythm going, if there's even a rhythm to that."

Against the Eagles, Brooks's poor punt contributed to DeSean Jackson's 68-yard touchdown. Brooks must improve the hang time, height and length of his punts, Zorn said, and Brooks agreed.

"I needed to come out and have a good week of practice and have it carry over into the game," he said. "In my rookie year, I know there's going to be ups and downs, I just can't have as many downs as I'm having right now.

"I need more ups. I just need to work on my consistency. I know it's there and I have the ability to do it."

...

If you're heading to FedEx, you'll want to know how many layers of maroon-and-black to wear.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 10, 2008; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington a Game-Time Decision
Next: Rams-Skins: Unrestricted Preview

Comments

I like the high tech beep beep!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

next to last

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

why can't he practice on the sidelines into the net? sincerely

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Wish the Redskins would've drafted Marcus Howard last year. He's a dread-locked beast!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

thanks suze!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Where does he play?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Tooo

slow

b

first.....

Posted by: cmecyclist | October 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

tt, dude!!!! i was JUST reporting. like the market looks like it will close in + today after going below 8000...ergo just reporting...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

instead of beep beep maybe we can change it to

Beep Beep Hooray

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

cindy, how do you know about express?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

actually suzanne, you shall be known as le suze or is it la suze from now on...parlez vouz francais?

(homage to TK)

Posted by: dealer1 | October 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

un peu. (I think I spelled that right, although it looks a little strange).

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Kellen Winslow might miss the Gints game.

Not an injury I'd want to fool around with!

Posted by: will_ga | October 10, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

How about we just score instead of punting this week? Should solve the problem.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | October 10, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

How about we just score instead of punting this week? Should solve the problem.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | October 10, 2008 4:31 PM

Maybe if we score enough we can let him practice his punting for kickoffs.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 10, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Glad I can't read that injury report...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Howard is on the Colts!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Brooks must improve the hang time, height and length of his punts, Zorn said, and Brooks agreed."

Yeah, I'd say this just about covers it, as far as the punters job description goes.

Maps, such as

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Brooks is practicing the 'ol up n down..hehe

Posted by: P00P | October 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Truth, no thanks.

Practice what you preach. Didn't you just say:

"thus making me respond and causing ME to look like the perpetrator which we all know is FALSE"

Gee, big surprise that Howard played at Georgia....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 10, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

*cringing* Think grapefruits, Greg. *wincing* Grapefruits.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Swollen grapefruits.

Posted by: will_ga | October 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

SORRY for the POLITICAL element to this...

A conversation with Chris Samuels

October 9, 2008 9:56 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Just as the Pacman story was breaking Wednesday evening, I had the opportunity to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels. Now in his ninth season out of Alabama, Samuels has played for five different head coaches.

He's been to the Pro Bowl five times, which is the second most for an offensive lineman in club history. Samuels credits Jim Zorn for not allowing the Redskins to lose their confidence after a miserable season opener in the Meadowlands.

In the days following the 16-7 loss to the Giants, running back Clinton Portis was critical of the play calling and the offensive line's performance. Samuels said he and Portis were able to laugh about the criticism because "he didn't really mean it."

He said the turning point in the Redskins' season came when Jason Campbell connected with Santana Moss on a 67-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter against the Saints.
"Ever since then, we've been clicking and rolling," Samuels said.

Samuels gives offensive line coach Joe Bugel a lot of credit for the Redskins' success in the running game. When the group watches film together, Bugel is "disgusted" by linemen who don't use proper technique. Samuels thinks too much is made about the team's success running to the left side because "the guys on the backside have to cut off blocks."

He said that "90 crease" and "90 press lead" have been the team's most successful running plays. In "90 crease," Portis lines up in the backfield by himself and the line zone blocks outside. In "90 press lead," fullback Mike Sellers lines up in front of Portis and the Redskins run it to the left side.
Several of the linemen read tight end Chris Cooley's blog all the time, mostly out of fear that they might be mentioned. Samuels said he's heard The Cooley Zone blog is "hilarious," but he prefers reading about politics right now.

Samuels, who grew up in Mobile, Ala., likes making the trip to Selma for the annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee, which commemorates the Voting Rights march from Selma to Montgomery. He said he met Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton the last time he attended the event.

He also met former President Bill Clinton at the Washington premier of "Remember the Titans" during his rookie season in 2000.

"President Clinton walked up to me and said, 'Chris, I'm so glad you're here.' He had watched me play at Alabama because we played Arkansas every year."

He said he's voting for Obama because he thinks the Democratic presidential nominee will look out for the less fortunate.

"I grew up poor in Alabama so I know what it's like to struggle. Now that I have some wealth, it's very important that I use it as a tool to help people."

Steering the conversation back to football, we talked some more about Zorn. Samuels says that backup quarterback Todd Collins does a fantastic Zorn impression in which he mimics the coach's infamous speech on headgear.

Apparently Zorn doesn't like for his players to wear large headphones while warming up before games, and he demonstrated by "bopping his head around and executing a few dance moves."

Honestly, aren't you glad Dan Snyder had to move on to Plan C and hire Zorn? He's got this Zen quality about him, and it seems to be working extremely well. Samuels said he asked Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and his wife about Zorn when they saw each other at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

"His wife told me she cried when Zorn left Seattle," Samuels said. "That tells you what kind of guy he is."

After his playing days are over, Samuels said he wants to coach football at the junior high or high school level. He said he's not interested in coaching professional football at all.

"It's too time consuming to coach in college or the pros," he said. "Family's very important to me, and I want to be able to see them all the time."

Samuels and Portis have both joked that the league attempted to knock the Redskins out of the NFC East race early by making them play three division road games in the first five games.
"[The league] tried to get us out of there early," he said. "At least that's what it seemed like."

Now the Redskins are on a roll, and Samuels said he's having the time of his career. The only thing that bothered him was the news about Pacman Jones being in trouble. He said he tracked down Pacman before the game at Texas Stadium two weeks ago to let him know he was praying for him.

I thought you guys could use a positive story after hearing about Pacman for the last 24 hours.

Posted by: TheCork | October 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | October 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

... the only thing more annoying that people who constantly bring up UGA in an attempt to bother me (thus making me respond and causing ME to look like the perpetrator which we all know is FALSE) ...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 4:03 PM

2) Serious question - should we tank the rest of the season in hopes of getting a higher % chance of the #1 overall pick and drafting Knowshon Rockwell Moreno? If he doesn't come out this year, we can put it off a year and try next year. If he doesn't come out next year, we'll do it again for his senior year. If we go winless from here on out for the next three years, we'll have the highest % chance of getting him. What do yall think?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 2:07 PM

Annoying? Bothering? Cry me a river.

And on the topic of getting into the Hall of Fame ... seems fairly random to me. The quickest route seems to be kissing the collective butt of Big Media during your playing career. The longer route (where you stay quiet during your career) seems to require a massive public outcry about the shameful snubbing (and complaining about the bad character guys who get in when the player gets passed over), plus getting the team's owner to serve on the HoF committee.

Posted by: dcsween | October 10, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

kellen--testicular gigantigoodgodicus

jose--testicular teetinyus

Posted by: will_ga | October 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

way to go Samuels!

and you KNOW there has to be a slight semblance (sp) of truth (not me though) behind that idea that the league tried to take us out of it early. There at least was a slight bias in my opinion...

""The Giants actually dominated us for four quarters," said Samuels. "Everyone had pretty much written us off. But coach Zorn's one of those people who never gets too low and never gets too high. He provided outstanding leadership during a tough time.""

STAY MEDIUM

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 10, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

" ... But coach Zorn's one of those people who never gets too low and never gets too high ..." - Samuels

TRUTH! We agree on something! My thought exactly ... about the head coach who just gets medium.

Posted by: dcsween | October 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"The Giants actually dominated us for four quarters," said Samuels.

Agree to disagree with Samuels (who, I guess, you know, was actually playing*). Statistically and momentum-wise, to me it seemed like the Skins had the Giants on their heels for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.

*Unlike me, who was "with beer"

Posted by: dcsween | October 10, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Has Cindy been up here with a beep beep hurray yet?

If not, then that.

Posted by: dcsween | October 10, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Chris was probably talking about the offense being dominated by the Giants for four quarters...

Posted by: siris | October 10, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse