Browns-Skins: Unrestricted Preview

Jason Reid previews the Browns-Skins game and, this morning, wrote about LaRon Landry and Sean Taylor.

Steinberg found Jim Zorn's "Faces in the Crowd" mention from SI waaaaay back when. Even then, he was vintage: "The key is to have a fervent desire to be in on the next play." And the hair is the same, just combed upward now.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 17, 2008; 10:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UFO (Defense) Sighting Possible
Next: Blocking Will Be Key for Betts' Replacement

Comments

Anyone like Pierce's in Williamsburg?

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 17, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, from what we've seen thus far this year, if they say Springs is hurt on Mon or Tues, he doesn't play on Sunday, no matter how many times he swears he will be in there. He's great when he does play, and we do need him, but this every other week off thing stinks. I would be willing to bet that Smoot will be out there no matter how much his whatever hurts. I like Springs, but don't see him back next year without a HUGE paycut. All this talk of moving him to safety is moot if he's not playing because of a strain or tweak every other week. We really need Hortom to come out as well; I don't see being able to rely on a guy we just picked up off the street. We've been beating teams so far this year because of the strong secondary play, and despite a lack of pass rush. St Loius had the worst sack per play ratio heading into last wek and we got 2 sacks, one of them came from a safety blitz. If our secondary goes down it's gonna be another defensive year like 06 with Archuletta back there. Hopefully the offense can gain some consistency and start getting 24-28 up there every week.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I agree haze. A great player who plays 6 games a year isn't that much of an asset to your team.

Posted by: Gweez | October 17, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Please, I beg of you, take a moment to read Steinberg's entry on Zorn. You'll thank me and God knows I don't ask much of you (unless there's a Boren ultimatum of some sort in play).

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Cyn that was a great article today by Reid.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 17, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Note from last thread, the bills made this defense popular (UFO) except they called it the (CREEP) defense. they made it popular last season on monday night football when they were beating the crap out of the cowgirls and Romo had 5 Int's and they lost at the end of the game. almost everytime they went into that defense Romo threw a pick

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 17, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

GreatOne,

Romo throws picks all the time no matter what the defense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cindy...great read on Steinberg's Bog. I think that Devin and Malcolm should spend this off-season in the boxing gym! Maybe they'll be in shape for next season's camp??!!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 17, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Good breakdown, if you can stomach reliving last Sunday's debacle.

Posted by: Im_JustMe | October 17, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, JM! I thought so, too. One of the key stories of the team this season is still the loss of Sean Taylor.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Cyn I know that paper circulation is down industry wide but to see you beg...

So what is exactly wrong with Springs by the way?

Posted by: Gweez | October 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

GreatOne,

Romo throws picks all the time no matter what the defense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Not true! Sometimes he fumbles first.

Posted by: SMACK1 | October 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

ROMO = REALLY OVERRATED MAGGOT ORIFICE

Maybe he should cut that Pinky off like the college kid? Then again, Jessica doesn't want a 9 fingered man.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

And thanks, redpitbull...if you haven't done so, click on Steinberg's link to the photo of Zorn and Largent in tight jeans and plaid shirts.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The loss of ST21 will reverberate for years. Tragic loss for his family, his team and his fans. Completely different dynamic if he were still with us. Like Jackson said, that was lightning in a bottle...that combo may never been seen again.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 17, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I did Cindy! Takes me back to middle school in 1981! I had a shirt and jeans just like it...as much as I hate to admit it!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 17, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

At least it wasn't Cooley in tha shortshorts (shudder...)

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 17, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Jeepers! Golly! Crap!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 5:56 PM

Watch the language. This is a family blog. Sorry, Jack's kids.

Posted by: dcsween | October 17, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, I didn't realize he tweaked it again. As I recall he said he could play last week but was sitting out since the Rams were to be such a pushover.

Posted by: Gweez | October 17, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was only begging in the sense that I care that you're informed. Really.
To that end, here's another link. (I confess I didn't know that the Browns were using a former Olympian and ex-mayor of New York on offense.)

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was strictly for the female fans. I'm glad Zorn banned that look this year! Maybe he'll allow Cooley to wear coyote skin shorts next year? He can grab some coyote road kill in Wyoming next summer and get 'em tanned and sized!

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, sween, I got carried away.

mikeysuperdons, here's a hip, hip, hooray for Pierce's.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 17, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Vinny,

Just went after the Sports reporters Zcab and Andy.

He said you know according to that show in the afternoon the Sports Reporters, its surprising I had time to get punters in and SA in and Mike Green.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Cynny- If Smoot and Springs can't go, we're looking at a dinged up Rogers and Torrence as starters, right? And Tryon in the nickel? Do they bring up Westbrook for the game?
No me gusta injuries.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 17, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Cny,
My Cousin's highschool up in NY is starting to install this A-11 style offence now. .. Am I right in understanding that NFL and NCAA rules would prohibit this system?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 9:14 AM

Yes. Go to LATimes.com sports today. Long story about it.

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

+++UFO (Defense) Sighting Possible
We've covered one of the Browns' unusual offensive formations -- the single wing -- so in the interest of equal time, this being the election season and all, let's riff on the quirky package the Browns run on defense: the UFO.+++

I was abducted once by the UFO defense.

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Good read at PGHeroes, makes me think that Rabach might have a tough go of it versus Rogers this Sunday.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Romo, please play with that broken finger and get it further messed up.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Torrence and Tryon, indeed, 4-12. Practice is beginning -- a lighter practice on Fridays -- and Jason Reid reports he does not see Springs on the field.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone like Pierce's in Williamsburg?

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 17, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

One of the BEST BBQ joints in the mid-Atlantic by far!

Posted by: P00P | October 17, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Just got caught up from all the activity up here since I signed off yesterday. Cyn, Dan's coyote reporting is great stuff. I was hunched over my keyboard trying to keep my laughter from going audible.

More to football, I love the way Zorn salivates over finding way sto stop the next opponant. It really brings the "chess match" element of the game to the fore.

He really enjoys coaching and it shows.

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 17, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

+++

++++Springs tweaked that calf muscle that has been plaguing him. He hurt it covering T.O. and missed the Philly game, you'll recall. He hurt it again near the end of practice Thursday.

Posted by: Cindy Boren +++|

Hmmm. Cindy, are you sure it was a tweak? I heard he dinged it. I know he hurt it in practice, but the initial report was he suffered an Owie.

We are a simple people here, please don't confuse us with this complex medical terminology.

Oh, and we kid because we love

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

UFO Abductee: "They took me off into a separate room. I seen 'em takin' different people off, different ones of us off in separate rooms and put me on a big white table and, uh, the guy that took me in there -- to examine me I guess -- he probed me, and then I was in there I bet more than three or four hours, in that room, being probed, and at one time or another these different ones of 'em came in, four or five or six of 'em at different times, and all of 'em probed me, uh, not all at once, you know, individually.

"Later on, years later, now, even still, uh, it's a funny thing: it happened on a Sunday, and every Sunday, about the time I was taken on board that ship, I find I have no feelings in my buttocks."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 17, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Anyone like Pierce's in Williamsburg?

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 17, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

If we're going to talk Williamsburg, I highly recommend Sno-to-Go. Of course, they've probably shut down now for the winter, but during warmer weather, their snow cones are amazing.

The difference is they shave their ice so fine it actually resembles snow AND it holds flavor--instead of being just small chunks of ice to kill your teeth on.

If you go, get their stuffed snow cone, which is the size of a 12 oz drink, with frozen yogurt surrounded by different flavor layers of "snow."

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 17, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Not to sound pessimistic or anything, but if the 'skins top three CBs can't go, or go at considerably less than 100%, it could get so ugly Sunday pregnant women and children should be banned from the stadium.

Tryon on Braylon Edwards? The mind reels.

If the CBs perform and the 'skins win, a game ball should go to the training staff.

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Very funny, Cork. Here's the medical explanation: Springs suffered a shabingnation of his calf muscle in practice yesterday.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 17, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I know Lisa is going to get upset with me over this one. Springs needs to take a pay cut next year if he wants to say. When was the last time he made it through a season?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 17, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Browns 31 over-rated skins 10

Posted by: Dfan | October 17, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cynny, and can we assume this is a re-injury of his chronic shabingnation rather than a new acute shabingnation?

["My home is DC, but I LIVE in shabingnation!"]

Posted by: dcsween | October 17, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing Cork. Hopefully, Rodgers will cover Edwards if Springs can't go...

Posted by: siris | October 17, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

seriously jm220 i am soooo sicK of shawn springs. just sicK of his injuries. i really hope they bring him back as a backup next year and have other plans like drafting a corner...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Agreed JM; see my 10:35 post above.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I believe that we can indeed deduce, not assume, that the shabingnation is chronic, not acute

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Year of the Calf" for the skins this season....ugh...!!!!

Screw a season, can Springs make it through a game!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Pass rush has to have big game, and thats with 4 man push....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 17, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Im thinkin Rogers on Braylon regardless of our off-season boxing champ saftey corner;s status.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 17, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Not to sound pessimistic or anything.....

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:32 AM

Isn't that your MO??

Though I did like your Skippy persona...

Posted by: Skins930 | October 17, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Love me some Pierce's Pitt. Allman's in Fredericksburg is good too if you likes the vinegar. Can't beat Capital Q for the brisquet with spicy sauce, and the jalapeno cornbread.

That Braylon Edwards quote makes me mad. He needs to be smacked in the mouth. The logic behind it is the same as that idiotic McNabb quote after we beat the Iggles this year. "No way they could beat us, no way they should've beat us..." Reminds me of Princess Bride -- inconceivable. I don't think they know what the word means.

Posted by: LittleSoren | October 17, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Im thinkin in the offseason instead of Boxing he tries some muay tai, strengthen those legs up a bit.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 17, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Add to the DBs injury situation:

Winslow stands a good chance to play:

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

+++Not to sound pessimistic or anything.....

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 11:32 AM

Isn't that your MO??

Though I did like your Skippy persona...

Posted by: Skins930 |+++

I'm a professional curmudgeon, in case you haven't figured it out yet.

Skippy has been busy lately. He was called to Washington to help out with the financial crisis, but we expect him back in the trailer park, soon.

Apparently the Skipster was fired when he suggested the solution was simply to fix the Lemon Meringue infrastructure and send a slice to everyone. Cheney ate a whole pie and ended up in the hospital for a Heart Zap and a Pedicure..

Skippy called last night claiming he tapped Sarah Palin behind the Lincoln Memorial, but he's SUCH a kidder.

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | October 17, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know if Malcolm Kelly is playing on Sunday?

Posted by: hender_22 | October 17, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse